• 85 results
#1 Posted by SOG7dc (7212 posts) - - Show Bio

I actually like a few of them (though you cant beat the original) but why are there so many?

hyperion

sentry

majestic

captain marvel

shazam

#2 Edited by Battle_Forum_Junkie (8008 posts) - - Show Bio

Because Superman is popular, and he sells.

#3 Posted by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6295 posts) - - Show Bio

Superman is popular, so they maybe hope that people will see what they like in Superman, and that will make them like the copy characters.

Though I'm not into Superman, but I do like Hyperion, and Sentry is O.K.

If by Captain Marvel, you mean Mar-Vell, I like him too.

#4 Posted by Dernman (15105 posts) - - Show Bio

I dislike most Superman copies.

#5 Edited by cfrehse (1004 posts) - - Show Bio

the original supes was kind of a rip of of hercules. They just kept adding powers to him over the years. Everything is a rip off of everything

#6 Posted by Xeno_Seeker (414 posts) - - Show Bio

well supes is kinda the image of being a superhero. he flies and has super strength.

#7 Edited by Wolverine08 (42335 posts) - - Show Bio

Because Superman is popular, creators think their Superman rip offs will be popular. I don't like Superman or most off his knock offs, but I do like Shazam and Hyperion from Jonathan Hickman's Avengers.

#8 Posted by DigbyKong (300 posts) - - Show Bio

The real question is why isn't there more ripoffs of Batman

#9 Edited by AnyWhichWayButUp (760 posts) - - Show Bio

Isn't he one of the oldest super heroes out there maybe even the oldest in terms of how long his comics have been going.

#10 Posted by joshmightbe (24885 posts) - - Show Bio

He's the most famous Superhero in the world, most of his rip offs are guaranteed to make a quick buck off customer confusion alone.

#11 Posted by Fallen_Crippled (6455 posts) - - Show Bio

He sells. I like Shazam and Hyperion.

#13 Posted by Wolverine08 (42335 posts) - - Show Bio

This. It is befuddling that we haven't seen that many Batman ripoffs.

#14 Edited by joshmightbe (24885 posts) - - Show Bio

@wolverine08: There are actually quite a few they just tend to be more subtle than the Superman rip offs

#15 Posted by Wolverine08 (42335 posts) - - Show Bio
#16 Posted by joshmightbe (24885 posts) - - Show Bio

@wolverine08: Midnighter, Night Hawk, Night Thrasher, Moon Knight, Dark Wing Duck (More parody than actual rip off), Big Daddy, Darkwing (From Invincible), just to name a few. Most of these guys have since differentiated themselves but they pretty much all started as Batman rip offs. Tho Moon Knight is highly debatable IMO.

#17 Posted by turoksonofstone (13199 posts) - - Show Bio

Meh. Superman fans need to get over it. Captain Marvel outsold Superman in the Golden Age and many of the 'rip-offs' are actually a superior product. Superman was unique for a short time in 1939-1940 and that was it.

#18 Posted by SOG7dc (7212 posts) - - Show Bio
#19 Posted by joshmightbe (24885 posts) - - Show Bio

@sog7dc: He hates everything about Superman after Siegle and Shuster left the book.

#20 Posted by SOG7dc (7212 posts) - - Show Bio
#21 Edited by joshmightbe (24885 posts) - - Show Bio

@sog7dc: Apparently only the people who created a character are allowed to ever even consider doing that character because the grand kids of Superman's creators want to live off the work of their elders instead of being adults and taking care of themselves.

#22 Edited by SOG7dc (7212 posts) - - Show Bio

@joshmightbe:

there are sooooooooo many great superman stories I don't c why you would deny yourself the pleasure of reading them. and sidenote: I just heard superman earth one vol 3 is coming out this year

#23 Posted by Guardiandevil83 (5603 posts) - - Show Bio

Popularity. Plan and simple. But again Superman is a ripoff of guys like Hercules and Thor. Batman is a ripoff of Zorro, Phantom and the Shadow. Spider-Man/The Spider.

#24 Edited by RDClip (1129 posts) - - Show Bio

Superman was the first comic book superhero, he was set the mold, and he is a big seller. During the Golden Age tonnes of copies of Superman appeared all over the place, the most noteworthy of them was Captain Marvel (the creators of which were sued by pre-DC National Publications for copywrite infringement when Marvel was selling better than Supes) Most of them died out when Superheroes went out of fashion after WWII.

@joshmightbe said:

@sog7dc: Apparently only the people who created a character are allowed to ever even consider doing that character because the grand kids of Superman's creators want to live off the work of their elders instead of being adults and taking care of themselves.

Not even just their direct descendants either. Shuster's Nephew wants a piece of the pie.

#25 Edited by Ms. Omega (4470 posts) - - Show Bio

I like some of the ripoffs more than Superman.

#26 Posted by Wolverine08 (42335 posts) - - Show Bio

This.

#27 Posted by SOG7dc (7212 posts) - - Show Bio

@guardiandevil83:

superman is only similar to them because he's strong. I don't think that he's even close to being a rip off of them

#28 Posted by JulieDC (957 posts) - - Show Bio

In my opinion there's rip offs and then there are characters that just draw inspiration from other characters...Those you mentioned would probably be rip offs (honestly, the only one I recognize from the list is Shazam, so I wouldn't really know)...Superman being like Hercules or Batman being like Zorro is more of an inspiration than actual rip off.

#29 Posted by RustyRoy (12732 posts) - - Show Bio

@sog7dc:

@juliedc said:

In my opinion there's rip offs and then there are characters that just draw inspiration from other characters...Those you mentioned would probably be rip offs ...Superman being like Hercules or Batman being like Zorro is more of an inspiration than actual rip off.

This.

You can describe almost every Superhero character with Superman, Batman or an amalgam of the two.

And Captain Marvel (DC) is not a Superman rip-off, in fact Superman ripped off many things from Captain Marvel. Many others characters draw inspiration from Captain Marvel and I actually like him far more than Superman.

Don't care about Hyperion, Sentry or Captain Marvel (Marvel).

#30 Posted by joshmightbe (24885 posts) - - Show Bio

@rustyroy: This is true, Captain Marvel (DC) was flying before Superman. As a side note, don't care what DC and Marvel say Billy is the real Captain Marvel, I will never call him Shazam.

#31 Edited by SOG7dc (7212 posts) - - Show Bio

@rustyroy: The only thing he "ripped off" from him was flight. Captain marvel even stole his basic appearance

#32 Posted by joshmightbe (24885 posts) - - Show Bio

@sog7dc: Captain Marvel was physically similar but the actual characters have many differences, Superman is a primarily sci-fi character while Cap is more based in fantasy, Superman gets his power due to alien physiology while Cap gets his power from magic, Superman is an adult, Cap is a kid, they have pretty drastically different personalities and honestly aside from strength speed and endurance they have a pretty drastically different power set.

#33 Edited by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6295 posts) - - Show Bio

@ms__omega said:

This.

This for me too. I'm not buying any of the Superman titles, but if a Hyperion series started, I'd probably give it a go.

#34 Posted by SOG7dc (7212 posts) - - Show Bio

@joshmightbe: He looks like him. Behaves like him, has the same power set minus heat vision freeze breath etc. They're both comic book characters so the sci go/ fantasy distinction seem to be a moot point to me

#35 Posted by batmannflash (6219 posts) - - Show Bio

there are quite a lot. they just aren't as obvious. because every hero with no powers, high IQ, and a bunch of gadgets is instantly related to Batman.

#36 Posted by joshmightbe (24885 posts) - - Show Bio

@sog7dc: Well Billy has some powers Superman doesn't such as his high resistance to magic, and the ability to call down his thunder bolt, I don't see were you're getting that they behave the same tho considering Superman is much more methodical than Billy and much less naive. Billy is much more prone to rash action than Superman. Also Superman doesn't enjoy his abilities like Billy does which leads to many differences on its own.

#37 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29501 posts) - - Show Bio

It's almost like Superman is iconic or something.

#38 Edited by RustyRoy (12732 posts) - - Show Bio

@sog7dc said:

@rustyroy: The only thing he "ripped off" from him was flight. Captain marvel even stole his basic appearance

He Didn't steal anything from Superman, there concepts are completely different. And flight is the most popular power of Superman, so that one is a bigger ripoff. Even Lex ripped off Dr. Sivana. Both characters took inspiration from each other but Marvel was a more original concept than Superman.

#39 Edited by RustyRoy (12732 posts) - - Show Bio

@sog7dc said:

@joshmightbe: He looks like him. Behaves like him, has the same power set minus heat vision freeze breath etc. They're both comic book characters so the sci go/ fantasy distinction seem to be a moot point to me

Captain Marvel was the original boy scout, Superman was the killer, his power set has reason which was not copied from Superman, origin is very important so being comic book character doesn't defend your point.

@rustyroy: This is true, Captain Marvel (DC) was flying before Superman. As a side note, don't care what DC and Marvel say Billy is the real Captain Marvel, I will never call him Shazam.

Yeah he'll always be real Captain Marvel.

#40 Posted by SOG7dc (7212 posts) - - Show Bio

@rustyroy: He stole strength, his appearance, the cape, and supes took flight. If you subtract the things marvel stole from superman from marvel. You'd have a guy whose only power is to fly. And how in Gods name is marvel more original than superman?

#41 Posted by joshmightbe (24885 posts) - - Show Bio

@sog7dc: Well GA Superman was primarily based on a character from a pulp novel called Gladiator with a little bit of Moses tossed in

#42 Posted by ComicMan24 (147091 posts) - - Show Bio

It's almost like Superman is iconic or something.

Pfft, you and your jokes :P

#43 Posted by RustyRoy (12732 posts) - - Show Bio

@sog7dc said:

@rustyroy: He stole strength, his appearance, the cape, and supes took flight. If you subtract the things marvel stole from superman from marvel. You'd have a guy whose only power is to fly. And how in Gods name is marvel more original than superman?

He didn't steal strength from Superman, it was from Hercules, his appearance was different enough from Superman, superman wasn't the first comic book character to wear a cape. Superman ripeed off from many character like Gladiator, John Carter, Hercules and many others but Marvel's origin was a new concept.

#44 Edited by w0nd (3422 posts) - - Show Bio

" Philip Wylie's wrote a pulp novel called Gladiator in 1930, starring Hugo Danner, a man whose father invents a secret formula that can create superpowers. Instead of selling it and making millions, he just injects it into his son, because, hey, why not? Hugo gains super strength, bullet proof skin and the ability to jump over the tallest building in a single bound. Jumping, not flying--so it's sort of different, right? Well, actually, in Superman's early years he couldn't fly either, just jump really high.

All he was missing was the laser/telescopic eyes and the million retarded powers Superman pulled out of his ass in the 50s. And it was published eight years before Superman appeared.

But superpowers are kind of standard, right? Super strength? Hell, Hercules had that! It doesn't mean it's a rip-off!

But the resemblance doesn't end there. Both Superman and Hugo Danner grew up in a small farming town. Supes in Kansas and Danner in Colorado. Both pretended to be meek and weak to prevent people from finding out about their superpowers. And both had a special place where they went to be alone: Superman had his fortress of solitude in the Arctic, and Donner had his own place in northern Canada. Of course, his didn't have the total emo name, which really only proves that he was less of a huge tool.

And to boot, the first image of Superman the world saw, the cover of Action Comics #1, recreates a scene of the Gladiator novel where Hugo loses his shit, lifts up a car and scares the crap out of everyone."

http://www.cracked.com/article_17299_6-famous-characters-you-didnt-know-were-shameless-rip-offs.html#ixzz2XOnvor6u

#45 Posted by turoksonofstone (13199 posts) - - Show Bio

@w0nd said:

" Philip Wylie's wrote a pulp novel called Gladiator in 1930, starring Hugo Danner, a man whose father invents a secret formula that can create superpowers. Instead of selling it and making millions, he just injects it into his son, because, hey, why not? Hugo gains super strength, bullet proof skin and the ability to jump over the tallest building in a single bound. Jumping, not flying--so it's sort of different, right? Well, actually, in Superman's early years he couldn't fly either, just jump really high.

All he was missing was the laser/telescopic eyes and the million retarded powers Superman pulled out of his ass in the 50s. And it was published eight years before Superman appeared.

But superpowers are kind of standard, right? Super strength? Hell, Hercules had that! It doesn't mean it's a rip-off!

But the resemblance doesn't end there. Both Superman and Hugo Danner grew up in a small farming town. Supes in Kansas and Danner in Colorado. Both pretended to be meek and weak to prevent people from finding out about their superpowers. And both had a special place where they went to be alone: Superman had his fortress of solitude in the Arctic, and Donner had his own place in northern Canada. Of course, his didn't have the total emo name, which really only proves that he was less of a huge tool.

And to boot, the first image of Superman the world saw, the cover of Action Comics #1, recreates a scene of the Gladiator novel where Hugo loses his shit, lifts up a car and scares the crap out of everyone."

http://www.cracked.com/article_17299_6-famous-characters-you-didnt-know-were-shameless-rip-offs.html#ixzz2XOnvor6u

yup. yup.

#46 Posted by Extremis (3350 posts) - - Show Bio

Someone should start a "why are there so many superman threads?" thread.

#47 Posted by Guardiandevil83 (5603 posts) - - Show Bio

@sog7dc: We'll I guess your right. Golden Age Superman may have been loosely inspired, by Hercules but not a complete rip.

#48 Posted by SOG7dc (7212 posts) - - Show Bio

@rustyroy: And a space alien baby from krypton wasn't.

#49 Posted by wolverine1610 (250 posts) - - Show Bio

The international Club of Heroes, or as one blogger calls them "The Racist Batman Knock-offs plus a fat guy"

#50 Edited by wolverine1610 (250 posts) - - Show Bio

I think there's a lot of difference between a rip off and something that draws inspiration from something as no one man can own a concept of something. If that were the case then everything in the world is basically just a rip off of something Superman included