Why are Shazam characters hated so much?

generator2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

There seems to be a lot of hate directed towards Marvels and their characters. I personally find Shazam characters more interesting. I was reading Forever Evil, and they had Black Adam lose to Ultraman. My problem is not with him losing, but they didn't even have a fight. They just had Ultraman run through him. DC seems to play the Marvel / Shazam characters down. It's not like the Marvels are Kryptonian knockoffs. Superman's power boosts in the 40's hapened because they wanted Superman to be as powerful as Captain Marvel! They seem like classic characters, but in comics and comic related media, the Shazam characters just get played down.

What is DC's problem?

Avatar image for patrickborkland
patrickborkland

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I actually find Black Adam one of the most interesting villians in the DC universe. His character is something I love to follow and it intrigues me, however I can't say the say about Shazam. I find his child like behavior (because he is a child) very boring and uninteresting. Is almoust predictable and not something I like to see in my heroes. Super heroes (and heroes in general) are people who I like to look up to, however I can't find that in Shazam at all.

generator2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By generator2000

@patrickborkland: I can't argue with opinion. Doesn't answer my question, though.

ColaNicole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I wasn't aware people hated them? I like Shazam and have really enjoyed him in the N52 as I have Black Adam. Shazam vs Superman's fight was pretty fun, as was black Adams vs Ultraman's, respectively.

KnightRise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@generator2000: The ease at which Black Adam was defeated bothers me too, but since Ultraman is basically a mirror of Supes I'm pretty sure he's strengthened by magic rather than slightly-less-invulnerable. Ultraman breaking his jaw with one hand made me cringe, though.

bob808

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I love Shazam and Black Adam.

generator2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@knightrise: Maybe, but I agree with you. They could have had Ultraman and Adam actually FIGHT. I just hate how they play certain characters down.

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 43

Black Adam is in my top 5 favorite characters....

RetconCrisis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

People don't hate the characters, they just greatly underrate them... except Mr. Banjo... $CR3W Mr. Banjo.

Avatar image for romulusaugustus
RomulusAugustus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I've been a fan of Adam for a while too.

Avatar image for battle_forum_junkie
Battle_Forum_Junkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

@generator2000: Have you been seeing a lot of hate from this site or just in general? Because I've seen a few people that don't particularly like the Marvels, but I haven't seen anyone that hates them.

generator2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@battle_forum_junkie: I'm talking about the comics and comic related media. The fans are alright. It just bothers me how DC can be so biased towards certain characters.

cameron83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13  Edited By cameron83

@battle_forum_junkie: I'm talking about the comics and comic related media. The fans are alright. It just bothers me how DC can be so biased towards certain characters.

I think I understand your point here,however regarding the Black Adam vs Ultraman fight...

that is definitely NOT how a fight between Black Adam/Shazam vs Superman would play out. They wouldn't get manhandled in one touch like that (not at all) since they should be close to Superman level in terms of their power. Also,Ultraman is immune to Magic,unlike Superman.

Maybe in the future we will see a proper fight between them,especially when they develop more.

generator2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cameron83: Hopefully. Immune to magic or not, Adam still is as strong as Ultraman. I think that DC is trying to play Superman and other Kryptonians up by downgrading other characters.

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

User Lists: 10

i kind of agree. IDK why DC ignores/puts down so many of their characters. DC's problem is that they are so trinity focused. when they write the shazam characters in their own book, like geoff johns did recently, they look awesome. but when you see them interact with other characters they look.....like lame ducks really. I think DC needs new leadership...maybe Grant Morrison or Mark Waid. then i feel the other host of characters DC ignores (i mean Katana and Vibe get solos but the new gods and martian manhunter and shazam dont?!?!?!?!?!) will get the shine they deserve

PeppeyHare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#16  Edited By PeppeyHare

They aren't hated

attatje

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Okay Black Adam shouldn´t lose so quickly, but Captain Marvel comes in the animated movie Justice League war.

Avatar image for battle_forum_junkie
Battle_Forum_Junkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

@generator2000: Everyone gets played down every once in awhile. The same thing happens whenever Geoff Johns writes Batman. I wouldn't say it was DC's fault per se, but the fault of the individual writers that didn't write characters like Black Adam at a higher power level.

generator2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

cameron83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By cameron83

@cameron83: Hopefully. Immune to magic or not, Adam still is as strong as Ultraman. I think that DC is trying to play Superman and other Kryptonians up by downgrading other characters.

I think that Shazam and other Marvels like him are in Superman-league,so I think I agree. Also,I hope that's not the case....and again,maybe in the future we will see a proper fight when the characters/universe develops a bit more.

Pokeysteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

Shazam is kind of boring. He's just there. Adam is cool and his agenda and motives are clear but Billy is just......there. I dunno.

generator2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bruxae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I actually find Black Adam one of the most interesting villians in the DC universe. His character is something I love to follow and it intrigues me, however I can't say the say about Shazam. I find his child like behavior (because he is a child) very boring and uninteresting. Is almoust predictable and not something I like to see in my heroes. Super heroes (and heroes in general) are people who I like to look up to, however I can't find that in Shazam at all.

This is basically the same as my thoughts.

Black Adam VS Ultraman was just retarded though.. And im gonna pretend it didnt happen.

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I didn't know they were hated.

If they are hated it's really too bad. The SHAZAM characters are great.

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

#25  Edited By Fallschirmjager

Why does everyone cry if their favorite character isn't the strongest of them all?

dondave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Black Adam isn't hated and certainly not by Geoff Johns and to be fair Ultraman is immune to magic so Black Adam didn't really have a chance

Avatar image for youmessinwithme
youmessinwithme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By youmessinwithme

They got respect before flashpoint. maybe even too much in WW3 BA is a total beast. ans CM was alway even with Superman in power

Since the new 52 they are definitely making it clear that Superman is the top dog.

ms__omega

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love the Shazam/Black Adam characters they are my favorites.

Emperorb777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't see the problem with BA getting stomped by Ultraman it just means Ultraman is his superior big deal.

Avatar image for martianmanhunterisbetterthancy
MartianManhunterIsBetterThanCyborg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Nobody hates them, especially not DC, who is trying to push Shazam in other mediums.

Pokeysteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#32  Edited By Pokeysteve

@pokeysteve said:

Shazam is kind of boring. He's just there. Adam is cool and his agenda and motives are clear but Billy is just......there. I dunno.

I also prefer BA. BA has this exotic look, I like the anti-hero feel sometimes and I'm not big on the idea of a kid becoming a grown man. They should do more with Teth.

Exactly!! I'd love an Adam mini series.

Avatar image for darkdetective27
darkdetective27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 69

User Lists: 10

I am a fan of the characters and wish they would show them a little more respect.

Avatar image for lone_wolf_and_cub
Lone_Wolf_and_Cub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because they suck.

derekvang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I actually dislike the New 52 versions considering that they are a completely different Marvel family than the Pre 52 versions. Don't get me wrong, they're still enjoyable in the New 52 but they just don't click to me like they did Pre 52. I was really thrilled when Grant Morrison wrote Thunderworld because that was just phenomenal. Also the Convergence Shazam by Jeff Parker was absolute amazeballs. If DC made a book about the Marvel family where they were written like how they were in either Thunderworld or the Convergence 2 issue mini-series, then I'd definitely be first in line and up for grabs for it. I feel like the current version, they kind of made him turn into a joke

Jeremy1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

New 52.

That's why.

MasterKungFu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By MasterKungFu

they need more shine

tbrand32300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@generator2000: It seems like DC, especially since the New 52, has ignored a lot of great classic characters. I hate that they got rid of the JSA

generator2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jackalandturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Jackalandturn

Did not read the whole chain, but The Captain/Shazam characters are hated because the old Fawcett Captain Marvel used to kick Superman's butt in comic book sales, so when DC got control of the franchise they lowered him to be less than Supes.

HighAccuser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't think they're hated just extremely underused or forgotten 9/10 times. There's so much potential you can do with the Marvel family and their support characters or antagonists. Aside from Black Adam you can do so much with Dr. Sivana and his family, Ibac, Sabbac, Mr. Mind and his race of Venusian worms, Blaze and Satannus, The Seven Sins of Man and other magical threats. Give some more exposure to Mary and Freddy and Tawny and of course The Wizard given his age and experience. There's a lot of untapped potential in recent years

Avatar image for thatguywithheadphones
thatguywithheadphones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No comic book fan worth their salt has anything bad to say about Billy and his cast.

TheKinfing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They aren't?

HighAccuser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jackalandturn: That was settled years ago. Sure DC was spiteful but I don't think that carried over decades later

Wolfrazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No one could hate Hoppy the Marvel Bunny!