Bad Writing?

mk111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By mk111

Becuase anti-heroes are generally whiney and emo.

TheCannon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 47

#4  Edited By TheCannon

Makes them more interesting.

JonSmith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By JonSmith

In the case of superpowered anti-heroes, it's generally because their powers make it rather difficult for them NOT to kill people and be normal heroes.

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By InnerVenom123

@judasnixon said:

Bad Writing?

@mk111 said:

Get out.

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 140

#7  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

@InnerVenom123 said:

@judasnixon said:

Bad Writing?

@mk111 said:

Get out.

lol, not true. just a few like Eddie Brock

Imagine_Man15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Imagine_Man15

Well, think about what defines an "anti-hero." The way they operate sort of requires a specific personality type.

Avatar image for spinningbirdcake
spinningbirdcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By spinningbirdcake

@Imagine_Man15 said:

Well, think about what defines an "anti-hero." The way they operate sort of requires a specific personality type.

I don't know. I could see someone having Punisher's outlook on how to deal with criminals without the tragedy birthing an angry personality.

judasnixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By judasnixon
@InnerVenom123: Ha Ha Ha.... I'm Serious. It's the bad 90's cliche. Some writer think you have to make a character dark, angry, and brooding all the time to make a character cool. It turns into a pissing contest which character can have the crapper life, and they call it character development. Next thing you know they can't have a girlfriend or boyfriend with out them getting blown up, raped, or shoved in a fridge by their archenemy. You can have an interesting anti-hero without him or her being a moody A-hole all the time....... 
Dragonborn_CT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Dragonborn_CT

@judasnixon said:

@InnerVenom123: Ha Ha Ha.... I'm Serious. It's the bad 90's cliche. Some writer think you have to make a character dark, angry, and brooding all the time to make a character cool. It turns into a pissing contest which character can have the crapper life, and they call it character development. Next thing you know they can't have a girlfriend or boyfriend with out them getting blown up, raped, or shoved in a fridge by their archenemy. You can have an interesting anti-hero without him or her being a moody A-hole all the time.......

That is Joss Whedon for you...

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By InnerVenom123

@Avenging-X-Bolt said:

super-duper-angsty lol

akbogert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 31

#13  Edited By akbogert

Are we differentiating here between a flawed hero and an anti-hero? I have some thoughts but I'd like to know how exactly you're defining anti-hero, because as suggested I've always just assumed the grit was part of the term. So like I said, for the purposes of giving a better answer, what precisely do you mean by "anti-hero?"

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#14  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator

What do you think causes someone to become an anti-hero?

Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

@InnerVenom123 said:

@Avenging-X-Bolt said:

super-duper-angsty lol

given that the near entirety of his existence before this moment was spent blaming people for his own problems , you can forgive me if i dont take this scan to seriously

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By InnerVenom123

@Avenging-X-Bolt: There's actually a scan of Eddie as Venom making fun of how anti-heroes get depressed. I wish I still had it. He basically says "Screw it, I do what I want" and slimes his way across an alley laughing about it.

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By InnerVenom123

@Avenging-X-Bolt: Wait.

I found it.

Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

@InnerVenom123 said:

@Avenging-X-Bolt: There's actually a scan of Eddie as Venom making fun of how anti-heroes get depressed. I wish I still had it. He basically says "Screw it, I do what I want" and slimes his way across an alley laughing about it.

lol, well i must admit, i've always loved Eddie's sense of humor. but isnt that a bit hypocritical of him? wasnt he contemplating suicide at one point? although that was before he became Venom. gaining all that power would change my outlook on life too.

SavageDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By SavageDragon

You kind of have to be angry at something to kill people again and again.

Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

@InnerVenom123 said:

@Avenging-X-Bolt: Wait.

I found it.

well, i've found my new avatar.

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By InnerVenom123

@Avenging-X-Bolt said:

@InnerVenom123 said:

lol, well i must admit, i've always loved Eddie's sense of humor. but isnt that a bit hypocritical of him? wasnt he contemplating suicide at one point? although that was before he became Venom. gaining all that power would change my outlook on life too.

Yeah. It is. But Eddie's all about hypocrisy. And being hilarious.

Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

@InnerVenom123 said:

@Avenging-X-Bolt said:

@InnerVenom123 said:

Yeah. It is. But Eddie's all about hypocrisy. And being hilarious.

i wonder how long it took him to realize that he basically solved his hunger problems with the brains comment...

Decoy Elite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#23  Edited By Decoy Elite

Anger is the easiest way to explain why someone would try and be a hero while also murdering people.

Veshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#24  Edited By Veshark

BECAUSE ANGZT IS TOTALLY KEWL, RAGEZ AND A DARK PAZT IS WHAT MAKES A HERO SO BADAZZZZ BLOOD! STRYKE! SLASH! RIP! LOOK HOW ANGGREH I AM.

Yeah, it's probably just a holdover from the 90s when dark anti-heroes were really popular. Writers who didn't understand that dark doesn't necessarily equal mature thought that angsty, angry heroes who murder were the future of comics. Hence why characters like Wolverine, Punisher, or Ghost Rider are quite popular.

That being said, not all anti-heroes are angry. Case in point: Deadpool.

NeonGameWave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By NeonGameWave

It`s what separates them from the heroes, they make their own rules and achieve their own goals through their own methods in which society, morals and what makes right as well as wrong is a non factor or obstacle. Power is something they need to have in order to fulfil certain goals however if they feel cursed, it is probably because as the Hero knows, with Great Power comes Great Responsibility. Therefore without that understanding they suffer for their actions and in the end are shaped as they become rageful because know one seems to understand them.

Avatar image for captain_yesterday
Captain_Yesterday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well they don't get the "Anti" from being fun loving cuddly teddy bears now do they?

FiMFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By FiMFTW

Do you think everyone would still love Rorschach and call him badass if he were a giant pink fluffy bunny?

Crash_Recovery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Crash_Recovery

@kgb725: It's a trope of their type of character.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By deactivated-5c901e667a76c  Moderator

Doesn't an anti-hero by definition have to be angry?

Avatar image for yung_ancient_one
Yung ANcient One

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#30  Edited By Yung ANcient One
Why are Speedsters talkative, impulsive, and ver active? Why are Powerhouses brutes, strong silent type, or angry? Why are Geniuses Nerdy, Over-analytical, and unsociable? Why are No Powers/ Simple powers having heroes filled with a great personality? Why are Young Heroes so brash? We can go on & on & on &on (+)
RDClip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By RDClip

Because the moment an anti-hero starts being happy about and enjoying killing, they become a villain. In fiction, an anti-hero is someone who rejects the standards of society and morality for some reason and does things tha a normal hero would consider morally reprehensible. John McClain might have to kill people in the line of duty, but I doubt he would torture someone like Denzel Washington in Man on Fire.

Usually some traumatic event occurs in an anti-hero's life to push them over that moral line into the grey area. Otherwise, they are just an complete psychopath (though arguements could be made for all anti-heroes being mentally ill). Because if they aren't angry about something, then why al the kllling and beating and torturing?

People say the angry anti-hero is a artifact of the 90's, but Namor (correct me if i'm wrong, I don't know much about him) was an anti-hero in the 40's and wasn't the Punisher invented in the 70's? Heck, I could make arguements for Achillies and Hecules being anti-heroes. Being angry, moody, and having a tragic backstory pretty much go hand-in-hand with being an anti-hero.

Avatar image for fuchsia_nightingale
Fuchsia_Nightingale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

Because the Fans are angry :P

Eternal19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Eternal19

Because writers think it makes them more interesting. In my opinion i think the heroes who have a more realistic personality like Superman, nightwing, and Spiderman are more interesting

Timandm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#34  Edited By Timandm

Doesn't that sort of go with BEING an anti-hero....

anti-heroes aren't thought of as nice people.  Most ''super heroes" would say anti-heroes lack the qualities of true heroes.  Things like nobility and strong moral fiber.    Why would a happy non-angry person become an anti-hero?

Mega_spidey01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Mega_spidey01
@Eternal19 said:

Because writers think it makes them more interesting. In my opinion i think the heroes who have a more realistic personality like Superman, nightwing, and Spiderman are more interesting