Why are Marvel and DC compared so often?

Mercules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I have no real problem with the two companies or even the comparison of the two, I just wonder why?

Inevitably it results in a basic civil war.

Whether it be b/w heroes or even the companies themselves.

I personally enjoy a good spectacle. Especially when it gets sophisticated and argument deciding facts are thrown in. Always a good show.

What do you guys think?

Avatar image for rulerofthisuniverse
RulerOfThisUniverse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Because this is a forum site, and whenever people disagree on a forum site it devolves into pointless bickering.

That said.......... DC FOR THE WIN, MARVEL FANBOYS ARE DUMB!!!!!!

ximpossibrux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By ximpossibrux

Because they're both rival comic book companies, whose characters are similar and often compared. Also if you insult a persons favourite company, people think your insulting them, so they have to retaliate in fashion.

judasnixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Coke and Pepsi.......

BigTimeSpider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Same reason people compare Batman and Superman, Coke and Pepsi, Playstation and X-Box, Republicans and Democrats, Dogs and Cats, there the biggest names in there respective fields.

And just so you know IMO the winners are Superman, Pepsi, Playstation, both reps and dems are equally awful and Dogs.

RulerOfThisUniverse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Rabbitearsblog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 79

#9  Edited By Rabbitearsblog

Pretty much what everyone else stated. Marvel and DC are two of the biggest comic book companies and they both usually involve superheroes and fans love to see which superhero is better than the other.

judasnixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By judasnixon

I really think Image is putting out some of the best comics right now...... Saga, Manhattan Project, Chew, Fatale, East From West, Jupiter Legacy, Satellite Sam, and all these new book they are pushing out this year.......... DC and Marvel needs to watch their backs.......

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

Coke and Pepsi.......

This. Also

Yankees and Red Sox

McDonalds and Burger King

They are rivals and humans love picking sides, thus once they pick a side, anyone opposing their team is the enemy.

Airmansmith21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Airmansmith21

im a marvel guy but i enjoy alot of DC comics

Avatar image for deactivated-5e8a1f5fafc4e
deactivated-5e8a1f5fafc4e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The same reasons any two big things are compared.

1) To see which is better

2) So people can argue over why their preferred one is better

Pokeysteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

Same reason people compare Batman and Superman, Coke and Pepsi, Playstation and X-Box, Republicans and Democrats, Dogs and Cats, there the biggest names in there respective fields.

And just so you know IMO the winners are Superman, Pepsi, Playstation, both reps and dems are equally awful and Dogs.

Damn fine picks there. Damn fine.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 the_stegman  Moderator

I agree with half your winners, I'd choose Coke and Cats.

Havenless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's because they're far and away the two biggest companies in their respective field. Coke/Pepsi, Microsoft/Apple, Xbox/PS (for hardcore gaming, anyway), Letterman/Leno before Conan and Kimmel took that timeslot.

RulerOfThisUniverse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wolverine08: Yeah. They are. For one in the comics, DC usually has a darker tone than Marvel. And I said darker tone, not darker characters. Most people use the argument that Batman is the only dark main character at DC, but characters don't need to be darker in order for stories to be darker. Most of DC's main characters were created in the 40's, so they are "I fight for JUSTICE!!!!!" types, but their stories have evolved to be usually darker in tone than Marvel's. There are exceptions to that rule (including most Wolverine stories) but for the most part DC has gone the darker route.

Marvel has also given their characters lots of personal issues to make their characters more relatable than DC's previously mentioned "I fight for JUSTICE!!!!!!" types. These include Spider-Man not knowing his parents and his uncle dying, Wolverine's.......entire life I guess, an many more.

As far as movies, Marvel has handled their continuity SO MUCH better than DC with the Marvel Cinematic Universe, although DC has still offered some incredibly great movies (The Dark Knight trilogy, Man of Steel). DC pretty much rules animated movies, no questions asked. I would give television shows to DC (because of shows like Batman: The Animated Series, Superman: The Animated Series, Justice League: The Animated Series, Justice League Unlimited, Teen Titans, Young Justice, and Teen Titans Go) although the upcoming Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. seems promising.

I'm going to stop now because I'm beginning to write about how DC and Marvel are different in a thread asking why they are compared so often.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Wolverine008

@wolverine08: Yeah. They are. For one in the comics, DC usually has a darker tone than Marvel. And I said darker tone, not darker characters. Most people use the argument that Batman is the only dark main character at DC, but characters don't need to be darker in order for stories to be darker. Most of DC's main characters were created in the 40's, so they are "I fight for JUSTICE!!!!!" types, but their stories have evolved to be usually darker in tone than Marvel's. There are exceptions to that rule (including most Wolverine stories) but for the most part DC has gone the darker route.

Marvel has also given their characters lots of personal issues to make their characters more relatable than DC's previously mentioned "I fight for JUSTICE!!!!!!" types. These include Spider-Man not knowing his parents and his uncle dying, Wolverine's.......entire life I guess, an many more.

As far as movies, Marvel has handled their continuity SO MUCH better than DC with the Marvel Cinematic Universe, although DC has still offered some incredibly great movies (The Dark Knight trilogy, Man of Steel). DC pretty much rules animated movies, no questions asked. I would give television shows to DC (because of shows like Batman: The Animated Series, Superman: The Animated Series, Justice League: The Animated Series, Justice League Unlimited, Teen Titans, Young Justice, and Teen Titans Go) although the upcoming Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. seems promising.

I'm going to stop now because I'm beginning to write about how DC and Marvel are different in a thread asking why they are compared so often.

Wow, I never thought of it like that. Great analysis bro.

Mercules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well I can see the argument of the two rivaling companies. Especially since they're the giants of comics, but I've always enjoyed both. (Marvel more) but I still love DC I grew up with Bats more than most Marvel chars I just grew to love Marvel more, I still LOVE DC but I'm just saying. I've never really took to comparing them both. Just seems unfair. DC has the upperhand with Supes since he's basically the first superhero and comically the strongest I believe, but still with this in mind people still love to get fights about "Hulk vs Supes" goin'.

Mercules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hmm... (Personally) Bats, I taste no difference, Xbox, idc, equal.

LaserLambert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Often they themselves draw the comparisons. I don't see any reason not to.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#22  Edited By joshmightbe

@the_stegman: Well I kind of have to go with dogs by default since I can die from being around a cat for an extended amount of time

ownagepants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By ownagepants

because people will always find a reason to fight its in our nature to compete physically and mentally

batmannflash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 30

It's inevitable. They are the two biggest comic book companies. And both usually write about superheroes so...

But I don't think they should be compared. They are both amazinggg companies.

JulieDC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By JulieDC

Well they are rivals that tend to create similar characters based on one another's creations with similar stories at times, of course they will end up being compared. It's also why you don't see nearly as much comparison to companies like Image and Dark Horse.

BullPR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By BullPR

@the_stegman: I strongly disagree with the Red Sox/Yankees comparison.

You can enjoy TDK and the Avengers.

While the Yankees will always suck...

:-)

Marco_Kidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ccraft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

mike and ike

Millennian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought I should put out there that one of the main arguments between the two companies is their styles.

In comics, DC fans like to brag about how superior the DC Universe is while Marvel fans like to argue how more "relatable" and "realistic" the Marvel Universe is.

As for the movies, it's the complete opposite.

DC fans like to brag about how realistic DC films are while Marvel fans like to point out how much more fun and elegant the MCU is.

Mercules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

because people will always find a reason to fight its in our nature to compete physically and mentally

This ^^

cameron83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#32  Edited By cameron83

Meh. Overall they're the same.

They use similar themes and concepts,and to be honest,people argue that DC is more realistic and relatable,and people can argue the same for Marvel.

Both have ripoffs and take inspirations from each other (there is a difference).