#1 Posted by Bezza (3735 posts) - - Show Bio

I can't believe that there is still no definite word on a JLA Movie, or a Flash movie or a WW movie and that the GL movie bombed. Marvel seem to have a continual production line of films, with Avengers 2, Thor 2, Guardians of the Galaxy, X Men etc all lined up. What has DC actually got on the way after MOS? er nothing! Why is this? I mean I know Disney owns most or Marvel now, but WB is a big film company too, so what's their excuse?

#2 Posted by Wolverine08 (43802 posts) - - Show Bio

The reason DC is so behind in films is becuase the "dark and realistic" tone they are using for their films doesn't work for most of their characters. DC has Martians, a guy that has become a demi god through the sun, a woman from a mythological society, and a guy who uses a magical ring that with enough will power will let you do anything. "Realistic" does not work for a majority DC's characters. If anything realistic would work better for Marvel characters, who are of often the result of science fiction. Until DC stops their obsession with realistic, and embraces the fantasy aspects of their characters, Marvel will continue to dominate the comic book movie department.

#3 Edited by Wolfrazer (7199 posts) - - Show Bio

@wolverine08 said:

The reason DC is so behind in films is becuase the "dark and realistic" tone they are using for their films doesn't work for most of their characters. DC has Martians, a guy that has become a demi god through the sun, a woman from a mythological society, and a guy who uses a magical ring that with enough will power will let you do anything. "Realistic" does not work for a majority DC's characters. If anything realistic would work better for Marvel characters, who are of often the result of science fiction. Until DC stops their obsession with realistic, and embraces the fantasy aspects of their characters, Marvel will continue to dominate the comic book movie department.

This pretty much, or until DC actually makes full animated movies. They seem to do a lot better with those, then trying to make realistic live action movies. Though this is doubtful, seeing as general audience can't get it outta their thick skulls that animation can be used for more then just kid movies.

#4 Posted by Outside_85 (9579 posts) - - Show Bio

It's called Warner Bros.

#5 Edited by lilben42 (2556 posts) - - Show Bio

No its just Warner Bros halting their plans because green lantern failed.

#6 Posted by Lvenger (20782 posts) - - Show Bio

Regrettably, DC have relied on Superman and Batman in the film industry for far too long. They've only used one other comic book superhero for a film which flopped horribly. Their other two movies are based on graphic novels by Alan Moore which have mixed receptions at best. Until DC find directors, producers and scriptwriters who can really bring these characters onto the screen properly, Marvel will have the edge in the film business.

#7 Edited by lilben42 (2556 posts) - - Show Bio

@wolverine08: DC makes the world more realistic. They aren't really dark.

#8 Posted by Wolverine08 (43802 posts) - - Show Bio

@lilben42:

That's the problem, realistic doesn't work well with most of DC's characters.

#9 Posted by AllStarSuperman (22232 posts) - - Show Bio

I want DC to be darker and realistic.

#10 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29510 posts) - - Show Bio

I want DC to be darker and realistic.

Said the user AllStarSuperman.

#11 Posted by Manchine (4184 posts) - - Show Bio

They have had a couple good ones. Of the last 6 they have had 3 good ones and 3 bad ones (not counting animated.)

#12 Posted by AllStarSuperman (22232 posts) - - Show Bio

@innervenom123: so? It would separate them from marvel movies. And a serious Sci Fi Flash movie would be awesome. I don't want DC to look like a marvel ripoff.

#13 Posted by Wolverine08 (43802 posts) - - Show Bio

@allstarsuperman:

Most of DC's characters are extremely fantasy like. Trying to force realism on fantasy based characters is just asking for failure.

#14 Posted by batmannflash (6224 posts) - - Show Bio

It's because Warner Brothers are stupid and are afraid to make movies after Green Lantern flopped. I feel like they aren't even trying. And they also assume that DC is automatically dark and gritty. Yes, DC is darker than Marvel but movies like Flash, Wonder Woman, and Green Lantern aren't supposed to realistic and Flash especially has a lot of fun. I like the movies DC has out right now but in the future, they need to learn to follow the comics and don't be afraid to take risks.

#15 Edited by Hazlenaut (1960 posts) - - Show Bio

They have difficulty figuring powers out. They have problems trying to make all the characters work. They have difficulty accepting that there is no closure. Taking out reason for drama only make you look stupid in the long run no matter how dark you make it and when most DC character inspire that makes it worst.

#16 Posted by joshmightbe (24955 posts) - - Show Bio

Because WB refuses to do anything risky, the only reason MOS was able to take any risks at all is because Superman's name alone was guaranteed bank on opening weekend. Regardless of over all earnings all the Superman movies had a good opening weekend money wise.

#17 Edited by Lone_Wolf_and_Cub (5139 posts) - - Show Bio

I find it amusing when people say they want realism in a comic film. There is nothing remotely realistic about superheroes. If I want a dose of realism I would CNN 24 hrs a day.

#18 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio

Really, it's all Green Lanterns fault for under-performing so horribly. Even though the movie wasn't that bad, idiot comic fans reacting like it was Batman and Robin resurgent meant that many of the demographic most interested in seeing it (comic fans) stayed away from cinemas, and just downloaded it. Those same people then complain that DC doesn't make any more movies. Somehow the irony is lost.

DC films by and large are far superior to Marvel movies, because they're more than generic blockbusters, with the exception of GL. GL used the basic storylines developed by a guy who wants the DCU to be another Marvel Universe (Geoff Johns) and so DC made a Marvel movie, and it didn't work.

Also Jonah Hex. But that was just tragic.

#19 Posted by AllStarSuperman (22232 posts) - - Show Bio

@lone_wolf_and_cub: realistic as I'm how would the world react, not realistic as superheros don't exist and we just talk about the economy.....

#20 Edited by joshmightbe (24955 posts) - - Show Bio

@lone_wolf_and_cub: Not even Batman is actually realistic if you think about it. Super rich, handsome super genius martial arts expert who dates super models, has the coolest car on Earth and can take an inhuman amount of physical abuse and never needs to spend any real time in the hospital except for the time when the dude paralyzed him. Not only that guess what folks if someone was temporarily paralyzed in real life that still leaves permanent damage after it heals so after spending 6 months in a wheel chair it would have taken him at least that long to go back to walking without a cane and he'd be done doing any real strenuous athletic activity for at least a decade.

#21 Posted by Wolverine08 (43802 posts) - - Show Bio

@fadetoblackbolt:

DC films are superior to Marvel's? Lol no. Besides the Dark Knight trilogy, DC barely has anything.

#22 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio

@wolverine08: V For Vendetta, Watchmen, the Donner Supermans, all 100 times better than anything Marvel has done, with the exception of Cap.

#23 Edited by Wolverine08 (43802 posts) - - Show Bio

@fadetoblackbolt:

I'm talking 2000- here. And both Watchmen and V for Vendetta are just okay. "Only Cap"? Iron Man 1 is a classic.

#24 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio

@wolverine08: OK, yeah, we're done talking. If you think Iron Man 1 is anything better than "pretty good", you have bad taste in films.

#25 Posted by Wolverine08 (43802 posts) - - Show Bio

@fadetoblackbolt:

Most comic fans would agree with me, so maybe you just have bad taste :)

#26 Edited by The Stegman (25090 posts) - - Show Bio

Sigh

Okay, enough, this has nothing to do with DC characters not being "grounded or relatable" enough to have a successful film franchise, nor is it anything to do with DC trying to force dark and edge where dark and edge shouldn't be. The problem is Warner Bros. They are afraid to take the risk to make a JL movie. They are afraid that a Flash film, or a WW film will bomb like Green Lantern and so they stick to what they know will sell, Batman and Superman.

Warner Bros needs to grow a pair, invest in a good script, a good director, a good producer and make this shit happen, it sickens me that Guardians of the f*cking Galaxy will get a movie before Wonder Woman or Flash.

Okay, now I'm hearing rumors that Justice League might be postponed again, seriously, Warner Bros. This is not fucking rocket science. And no, you don't have to copy Marvel and make five tie in movies before Justice League because unlike the Avengers, people know who most of the League are. Make

Man of Steel 2 in 2014

Justice League in 2015

Batman reboot AFTER JL in 2016

Green Lantern 2: Rise of the Sinestro Corps in 2017

Flash and Wonder Woman in 2018

And by 2019 Justice League 2

That way, since people have already seen the characters in Justice League, ticket sales for the individual movies will go up AND since this is the opposite of what Marvel Studios did, you don't have to worry about hearing that you copied them.

The first 6 minutes of This video pretty much sums it up nicely.

#27 Edited by JulieDC (1026 posts) - - Show Bio

I agree with Wolverine08 but would like to add that DC also faces the challenge of putting Superman and Batman into the same live action film...which is not an easy task. One of the side effects of making Batman too realistic is that it makes it hard to convince non-comic fans that they could exist in the same universe. If Batman and Superman are supposed to be the heavy weights in DC's film universe, then the tone in which they will portray these characters will set the tone for any film they do in the future. In order to figure out what direction they should go in, they have to figure out what they want to do with Batman and Superman. If they continue with realism rather than fantasy, it'll make it hard for a film where both Batman and Superman could coexist and by extension other DC heroes. So I imagine, along with the Green Lantern fiasco, this is contributing to their delay as they have to consider reboots and the best way to go about doing that.

#28 Posted by Lone_Wolf_and_Cub (5139 posts) - - Show Bio

None of these movies have anything on "Sharknado"! ;)

#29 Posted by joshmightbe (24955 posts) - - Show Bio

@the_stegman: This is true if anyone wants proof look at the simple fact that Marvel has more faith in Groot and Rocket Raccoon than WB does in their group of some of the world's most famous Super Heroes.

#30 Edited by lilben42 (2556 posts) - - Show Bio

@wolverine08: No the characters are unrealistic but they put them into a realistic world. That's not the problem the problem is WB being scared to fail since Green Lantern.

#31 Edited by SandMan_ (4528 posts) - - Show Bio

Wait until Comic-Con we will get out news there.

#32 Edited by SpideyIvyDaredevilFan26 (6508 posts) - - Show Bio

Because Green Lantern that's why.

#33 Posted by batmannflash (6224 posts) - - Show Bio

@the_stegman: perfectly said, man. Yeah Warner Brothers are afraid to take risks and afraid of failing like Green Lantern. It's hardly DC's fault. And yeah I agree with that movie schedule although I would put Wonder Woman and Flash earlier and Batman later.

#34 Posted by SithLantern93 (2167 posts) - - Show Bio

Great Evil Beast is the head of the Warner Bros. that is why.

#35 Posted by X35 (5981 posts) - - Show Bio
#36 Edited by TDK_1997 (14991 posts) - - Show Bio

Well DC don't try to make more movies rather than Batman and SUperman ones because they tried out Green Lantern and it ended badly.

#37 Edited by Uncanny_Doom (479 posts) - - Show Bio

Warner Bros. has no faith in DC characters other than Batman and Superman. With the way they've bombed Steel, Catwoman, Green Lantern, and Jonah Hex (not to mention Batman and Superman sequels/reboots themselves), it's probably hard for anyone in WB to convince them to really put money behind other DC properties. Green Lantern was probably the biggest wrench in everything though. That movie had so much riding on it.

All in all though, it's just Warner Bros. being out of touch with people, compared to Disney/Marvel Studios, who obviously aren't.

#38 Edited by viin (615 posts) - - Show Bio

Hopefully DC is not bringing them out quickly because they wanna take their time on stuff...Marvel seems to pump out like 4 a year...

...and maybe DC Comics likes putting their work into actual comics then movies...they are a comic company not a movie company.

#39 Edited by NorrinBoltagonPrime21 (6111 posts) - - Show Bio

#40 Edited by Havenless (1382 posts) - - Show Bio

@norrinboltagonprime21 said:

@wolverine08 said:

And in many ways, Marvel is more suited for the big screen than DC, because they purposely attempted to avoid the full-on fantasy route. Yeah, Asgard is some mystical dimension, but one key thing Stan Lee said was important for every character was that they had to have a reason they could fly. All the fliers he made had this. Thor didn't fly, he threw his hammer and used the momentum. Human Torch used propulsion like a jet, so did Iron Man. Angel had bona fide wings. Jean Grey used telekinesis. It's also why Stan never really liked Superman. He said he loved his origin story, but couldn't get over how he flew.

#41 Posted by Bezza (3735 posts) - - Show Bio

Yep, Stan Lee is genius. I think marvel's advantage is that they saw what DC had done for the previous 20 odd years and decided to take a slightly different route with their characters and one that seems to appeal more to the masses. I must admit that as a child I didn't pick up any DC comics, but got into Marvel, it was Iron man and Spiderman mainly. Now as an older person, I prefer many of the DC comics than the Marvel ones as for me they often have more depth. Perhaps that's the problem, DC characters appeal more to serious comic readers, Marvel appeal to everyone? I also don't think anyone can seriously say the Marvel films are bad. I think most of them have been very watchable, with good action scenes and some great humour. Lets hope DC turns it round.

#42 Posted by M3th (2099 posts) - - Show Bio

Because Batman and Superman carry the team. Who can blame em for over using them. Fanboys eat their series up.