Why are Daredevil, Luke Cage, and Iron Fist TV shows?

nfactor1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I'm curious why Marvel decided to take these characters and make them into TV shows instead of movies. It seems like in the comics that these guys are some of the upper tier street levelers but in the MCU, Daredevil is clearly several notches below Captain America, who he is supposed to be relatively equal to in the comics. Same with Iron Fist, who I thought was above guys like Cap, Bucky, and Black Panther.

So why are they choosing to nerf these characters by having them on TV shows instead of making them Captain America level characters and putting them alongside the Avengers?

Avatar image for guardiandevil83
Guardiandevil83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nfactor1995: Don't want to keep flooding the theathers. Also its wise to corner the market (film and TV) and street level is the easiest to adapt to live action.

Space_Coyote

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#3  Edited By Space_Coyote

There's nothing wrong with them being TV shows. 13 episodes = 13 hours of character development versus a 2 hour movie.

Already Daredevil has had more screen time than any single Avenger.

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

We get to see more of them, they get to be more developed, shows are cheaper, being only on Netflix is cheaper, they get to last longer than movies do, they aren't big enough to support their own franchises and probably more perfectly valid reasons. It's not about nerfing them. I'd rather have 13 hours of Fisk and Daredevil than 2 hours every few years. Having a Netflix show is way better than having a movie IMO.

Xrated48

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

judasnixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Because my $7.99 subscription to NetFlix is alot cheaper than my $13.50 ticket to go see Avengers: Age of Ultron....... Guess which one I enjoyed more?

Black_Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jayc1324 said:

We get to see more of them, they get to be more developed, shows are cheaper, being only on Netflix is cheaper, they get to last longer than movies do, they aren't big enough to support their own franchises and probably more perfectly valid reasons. It's not about nerfing them. I'd rather have 13 hours of Fisk and Daredevil than 2 hours every few years. Having a Netflix show is way better than having a movie IMO.

This and I also prefer the show ( I don't care about the feats).

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 140

Disney/Marvel doesn't do hard pg 13 stuff or above as far as movies are concerned. Netflix lets them use these characters in the mcu without breAking their family friendly dynamic. It also presents these characters with unique advantages that the movie stars don't get.

WastelandMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By WastelandMan

@guardiandevil83 said:

@nfactor1995: Don't want to keep flooding the theathers. Also its wise to corner the market (film and TV) and street level is the easiest to adapt to live action.

This.

Also, just because a super hero is in a TV show and not a movie doesn't mean they are/will be weak. Just look at Flash or AoS.

kgb725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By kgb725

Are they equal in the comics ? There is no regular human tossing motorcycles that hard

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

Those characters are not very family friendly so I think it's good they stay on the small screen.I'm the opposite of most people.I find Marvel movies overrated but I like their tv shows.

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#12 JediXMan  Moderator

... Cap and Daredevil aren't on the same level. Yes, Daredevil was a bit nerfed (not even badly; it's just his origin story, so it makes sense that he seems weak due to lack of experience), but even if he were not, he still shouldn't be on Cap's level. Iron Fist... varies.

You can do more with a TV series than with a movie. First, you have more room and time to develop characters. Daredevil and his associates were nicely developed throughout the first season, which essentially served as a simple origin. Second, they aren't tied down to a PG-13 rating. It can get away with R-rated themes. It doesn't even have harsh language, which isn't necessarily needed; it just had adult themes that are appropriate to a Daredevil story.

I see great things in the future of Netflix Marvel.

Noone301994

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's cheaper. Plus, you can get away with having a show about street levelers when you are on a budget.

PeterParkerJr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@jedixman said:

... Cap and Daredevil aren't on the same level. Yes, Daredevil was a bit nerfed (not even badly; it's just his origin story, so it makes sense that he seems weak due to lack of experience), but even if he were not, he still shouldn't be on Cap's level. Iron Fist... varies.

You can do more with a TV series than with a movie. First, you have more room and time to develop characters. Daredevil and his associates were nicely developed throughout the first season, which essentially served as a simple origin. Second, they aren't tied down to a PG-13 rating. It can get away with R-rated themes. It doesn't even have harsh language, which isn't necessarily needed; it just had adult themes that are appropriate to a Daredevil story.

I see great things in the future of Netflix Marvel.

Damn, good point. I just realized that. As violent and graphic as that show was, it barely uttered curse words, if any.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

Because these characters, they are really interesting on their own but only if you are a comic book fan, while if you are someone who has never layed hands on a comic book you might not be interested in seeing a movie about. In a TV show you have enough time and room for character development and improvement and this way you will make these characters into more than just interesting ones.

That's why Marvel is making movies about Captain America, Iron Man, Thor and etc. because they know that people will go to see them no matter what.

lettsplay10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

because they are awesome

kfabz-23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because they don't develop the MCU core story. They're just street level characters with their own story that leads to Defenders.

BlackWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@space_coyote: Basically this. Netflix gets updated once a year. That's far more content than a possible two hour movie can provide.

Not only that, but TV shows give more chance to develop characters aside from just the hero.

nfactor1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By nfactor1995
JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 JediXMan  Moderator

@jedixman: Iron Fist is superior to Cap no?

Sometimes. He has the feats to suggest that he is, but he's often displayed as street level (keep in mind that my Iron Fist knowledge is a bit limited, so... yeah, take that for what you will).

Avatar image for amazingspiderdan
AmazingSpiderDan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There's nothing wrong with them being TV shows. 13 episodes = 13 hours of character development versus a 2 hour movie.

Already Daredevil has had more screen time than any single Avenger.

If anything, I'd take a super hero TV Show over a super hero Movie almost any day. I personally enjoy watching shows more than movies because there is actually time to tell stories, and flesh out characters. I haven't finished Daredevil but it's really good. As far as Flash and Arrow go, I've loved watching both of those shows. Nothing felt rushed, and I got to really know the characters

derekvang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Those characters are not very family friendly so I think it's good they stay on the small screen.I'm the opposite of most people.I find Marvel movies overrated but I like their tv shows.

Same here, I thought that they were entertaining but pretty boring. There were a select few that I would say that I'd enjoy watching and thought was pretty good though

Redatom1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@peterparkerjr: it did have cursing but it was hardly/occasionally used so it was unrecognisable

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

@daredevil21134 said:

Same here, I thought that they were entertaining but pretty boring. There were a select few that I would say that I'd enjoy watching and thought was pretty good though

Mainly the Cap movies were the ones I enjoyed.Oh,and the first Avenger movie.Everything else was meh.Iron Man 1 was decent though.

never give up

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@m_man said:
@guardiandevil83 said:

This.

Also, just because a super hero is in a TV show and not a movie doesn't mean they are/will be weak. Just look at Flash or AoS.

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#26  Edited By Fallschirmjager

Because a good Daredevil tv or movie can't be cracking 1 liners

Spideysense44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Because the characters get more fleshed out and can be more hardcore. Remember Feige has said that they might get onscreen probably infinity war if that makes you feel any better.

stormshadow_x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 22

IMO only Danny and Matt derseved shows. Cage and Jessica are wasting the spots.

PeterParkerJr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#29  Edited By PeterParkerJr

IMO only Danny and Matt derseved shows. Cage and Jessica are wasting the spots.

Same. I understand they're building to the Defenders, but I'm really not all that interested in seeing those two.

But where's my Runaways movie? If they got time to make Agents of SHIELD and Defenders a thing, they got time for them too.

BlackWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers