Why are comics becoming so dark?

GeekyEverAfter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

I've recently noticed that a lot of modern comic books lately have been becoming really dark and somewhat gruesome. Some stuff is a bit suggestive and others just seem to go way too far, for lack of a better word. In some cases, I've even completely just stopped reading the comic because of the excessive amounts of gore, demonic references and overly sexualized characters. So if anyone could maybe help me gain a better understanding as to why comics have become this way, I would greatly appreciate it.

*Please do not be rude and criticize my opinions. My intention is in no way to complain, but to understand.*

IrishX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

Comics much of the time reflect current society and with things heading in a darker direction (imo) it's fitting. That said there is a great variety of comics out there and if you look around it's not too hard to find lighter or even humorous comics.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Either A. That's what people want or B. That's what publishers think people want.

kfabz-23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Because it appeals to a older audience.

But I don't see Marvel as dark, DC yes but not marvel.

KingWillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You're just soft.

Mandarinestro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because, unlike anime, the themes reflect the contemporary world.

Avatar image for amazing_webhead
amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 20

#8  Edited By amazing_webhead

Ugh, THANK YOU!

No Caption Provided

GeekyEverAfter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By GeekyEverAfter

@kingwillie: Did I ask for your homophobic reply? I don't think I did :)

GeekyEverAfter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By GeekyEverAfter

@amazingwebhead: Can't tell if you're serious, but I'm assuming you are. And in that case, you're highly welcomed and I'm glad you agree ^^

Avatar image for amazing_webhead
amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 20

#11  Edited By amazing_webhead
@geekyeverafter said:

@amazingwebhead: Cant tell if you're serious, but I'm assuming you are. And in that case, you're highly welcomed and I'm glad you agree ^^

I am very serious (which is sort of ironic when you think about it)

Avatar image for BappyRonChantin
BappyRonChantin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By BappyRonChantin

Darker they are more powerful they tend to be

No Caption Provided

Xrated48

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By Xrated48

IMO The darker the story for the most part the better. Look at batman most of his stories all have a dark element to them which makes the reader enjoy it. The darker the story the more it tests the hero in the story to go past its limts plus these stories usually have the best themes.

ariesxmasters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I didn't really use to read that many Comics until the New 52 and Marvel Now.

They try to make Comics reflect modern society today which is why woman are super sexed up, and there is some blood. I don't know what Comics you're reading where there is excessive gore like you're stating, because the Comics I read barely have gore, and sometimes I complain to myself that there is not enough blood.

magnablue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like it being dark

ScouterV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because people today tend to like darker stuff. They want more realistic stuff. They want the world of comics to be just like their world, albeit they'll accept the different physics and definitions of certain things.

Personally, I don't much care for "darker," unless there is a good mix.

GeekyEverAfter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ariesxmasters: Understandable. Oh and "excessive" was an exaggeration none the less. However, I still think some of the panels in the comics I read are drawn too gory. I wish I wasn't on mobile so I could post an example. You stated you read DC Comics. I do too, in fact their comics is where most of this stuff I'm talking about is coming from lol. I guess my definition of gore just differs from yours perhaps and I respect your opinion.

Skit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well you probably shouldn't read neonomicon then. Anyways it's been that way for a really long time and became the popular style because of how critically acclaimed and popular Batman(especially darker ones) stories are. Im not sure what you mean demonic references though, especially if your talking about the big two.

Claymore1998

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

@xwraith said:

Either A. That's what people want or B. That's what publishers think people want.

ariesxmasters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@geekyeverafter: Hmmm I see, I think they have a decent amount of blood, nothing like Mortal Kombat or God of War or anything to that magnitude, now that is ridiculous gore if I ever saw it. We both apparently have different standards on what a lot of gore is, which is fine. Marvel has some blood too now, and they also have some sexed up woman as well both parties are guilty of this it is not DC only trust me, and they do it so it appeals to it's core audience which is males.

GeekyEverAfter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@scouterv: I'm fine with them being a bit more realistic. However, when it comes to the more darker themes of life, I like the comic book world and the real world to differ from each other. That way it's like getting a short break from the more corrupted things in reality y'know :P

GeekyEverAfter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gjgp27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@amazingwebhead: X-Men comics in the 60s with mostly high school age readers say hi.

Guru_Crack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 559

@kingwillie: Did I ask for your homophobic reply? I don't think I did :)

He said you were soft which isn't homophobic in anyway. There are plenty of comics you can read from any comic company that aren't dark ect.. I mean if you like Batman the entire point is hes dark. But I mean don't want dark go read Superman or Flash ect... If you read DC & Marvel. I find the blood seems very realistic when something gets hit in the face a few times of course there will be blood coming mouth/nose ect... What comics have you read that offended you or made you put it down for excessive blood ect..? If its new 52 the likelihood is i've read it.

Avatar image for xxmarvelousdcxx
XxMarvelousDCXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A.) It's reflecting the world we live in (Which in many people's opinions is headed to a darker place.)

B.),People want darker comics

C.) Publishers think they do. ^

GeekyEverAfter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By GeekyEverAfter
Avatar image for inagalaxynearby
Inagalaxynearby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Inagalaxynearby

I don't get how people are saying the world's becoming "darker", but that's besides the point.

Publishers do that to appeal to a somewhat older audience. Comics main buyers were almost always teen's from what I understand, and teen's are ok with reading gore and sexual themes. To my understanding, five or eight year olders were never the primary readers/buyers. I'd bet most comic fans nowadays are eighteen and up, so I'd bet the readerbase still got more mature, albeit not by much. It's also just a different day and age, violence and sex in entrainment isn't seen as ill-tasted as it once was.(And no more Comics Code Authority heralding over publishers). That said, I think there's just a large demographic of comic fans that like dark stuff. It hasn't ever really been my schtick (maybe for a while in High School), but I can see why people enjoy it. I wouldn't consider a lot of the stuff I read to be dark or overly gory or sexual. I think it just depends on what you pick up.

Betony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Betony

I used to shy away from DC comics because I thought they were "dark and gritty", but after reading a bunch of New 52 titles, it really isn't that dark, especially Aquaman, Superman, Green Lantern, etc. Even the Batman comics were still pretty fun. All the Zero Year Batman stories were fairly light-hearted and humorous, imo.

Cap10nate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

It's what is popular now in a lot of mediums. It is just the way that the culture is going in terms of the entertainment that they want to see.

Look at the TV shows that are popular. All the shows on premium stations like HBO and Starz are the graphic shows like Game of Thrones, True Detective, Spartacus, etc. Even network TV is getting darker or more graphic like Blacklist or the Following.

Then you have video games that continue to get more realistic and graphic.

Mike_Fowler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Mike_Fowler
Guru_Crack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 559

Avatar image for transformers1024
Transformers1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I'm fine with it. Nearly all my favorite comics are dark and all the titles on my pull list aren't very nice..

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

Actually it's the opposite., most comics are becoming light and family friendly now. See Ant-Man, Daredevil, Squirrel Girl, Spider-Woman, Bat Girl ect

Smash Brawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@inagalaxynearby said:

I don't get how people are saying the world's becoming "darker", but that's besides the point.

It's just something people like to say to justify their own cynicism.

Avatar image for deathpoolthet1000
DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The idea that the world its getting darker.(I blame the news)

The idea that dark = Mature and realistic.

Dark = an excuse to have pointless and random things happenings, since its mature and realistic, it make sense.

The people working at comics believe they have to show how much of an artist they are.

Darker artist get more praise to the point of insanity.

Being dark pays better.

Cloakx14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

A.) It's reflecting the world we live in (Which in many people's opinions is headed to a darker place.)

B.),People want darker comics

C.) Publishers think they do. ^

VoloErgoMalus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xwraith said:

Always B. A is hit and miss.

Boynerdgeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@geekyeverafter: It is easy. The first comics that become super dark is Watchmen and after that every comics want to be dark and serious

Nerdpride_xox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dark comics appeal to me, even gore. For me they tell an amazing story, it's interesting, fascinating and make's you think a lot.

@boynerdgeek YES!! Watchmen was what got me fascinated with the darker side to comics. It does seem that other comic writers/artist took a note from Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons.

primebonnick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is dark? I mean i can understand if it was vertigo but these comics are hardly my definition of dark. Still it is what people want or a majority at least.

JulieDC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By JulieDC

Everything works in cycles, with the wheel getting reinvented so we are seeing a new Dark Age of Comics yet again except instead of "extreme" the focus is on grimdark. Personally, I actually hate the current grim/gritty stuff far more than I hated the 90s stuff, at least when it comes to DC, Marvel on the other hand, I much prefer the current stuff to the 90s stuff.

acer51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@geekyeverafter: His comment might have been less than gracious but I don't see where you got homophobic from.

Avatar image for symbioticspider-man
SymbioticSpider-Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

They're not getting dark, they're simply maturing.

Frisky4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm all for frighteningly real comics.

Avatar image for thatguywithheadphones
thatguywithheadphones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Actually it's the opposite., most comics are becoming light and family friendly now. See Ant-Man, Daredevil, Squirrel Girl, Spider-Woman, Bat Girl ect

This. Anyone who thinks comics have gotten darker must have completely skipped over the 80's and 90's.

MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They're trying to make up for the fact that the CCA stunted the industry's developed in comparison to other entertainment mediums.

micah007123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xrated48 said:

IMO The darker the story for the most part the better. Look at batman most of his stories all have a dark element to them which makes the reader enjoy it. The darker the story the more it tests the hero in the story to go past its limts plus these stories usually have the best themes.