#1 Edited by RoyHarperBLOW (1494 posts) - - Show Bio

I honestly don't get it. Sure in the SA and 60's comics were more lighthearted but they have been dark since the mid 1980's and yet a lot of people still call it "nerd stuff" and kids stuff." I mean look at this

These are only a tiny taste on how dark comics are.

Also there are other dark things like Batman ready to kill Joker in Batman Hush.

Overall I don't like the fact that thy are considered "Kid Stuff" and "Nerd Stuff"

This is more of a rant than a discussion but share your thoughts.

#2 Posted by Jorgevy (5114 posts) - - Show Bio

Well, because they kinda are nerd stuff and they used to be kid stuff in the beggining

#3 Posted by minigunman123 (3116 posts) - - Show Bio

Because they're unrealistic, flashy, sometimes silly, require a large amount of knowledge about fictional characters in a highly unrealistic and unrealistically illustrated universe if you expect to ever be caught up with them, and people get into stupid debates over them.

I still love them though.

#4 Posted by BumpyBoo (7676 posts) - - Show Bio

Ignorance.

#5 Posted by Bruxae (12608 posts) - - Show Bio

Because some people are too self-conscious to allow themself to be connected to a stereotype that originates from decades ago, most people I know who have ever called me a nerd because of an intrest I have is usually quite an unhappy person who cares alot what people think about THEM, because of long lasting low self-esteem.

I have dared quite a few of these kinds of people to actually try reading a comic, or watch Star Trek, or whatever it might be about and most of them has enjoyed it, a few of them has refused to admit it and later been caught in the act. : )

I recently got my girlfriend into reading comics and she loves it, and she has always been an outgoing person who has never played a videogame and barely even watched any movies.

Online
#6 Posted by Vortex13 (12223 posts) - - Show Bio

Because typically things that are in a kind of secluded area of popular culture are deemed geeky. Such as Sci-fi films/T.V., video games, fantasy books, and of course comic books. Still they are all very entertaining and not really that geeky. These days the perception of comic books and video games as geeky stuff is fading in my opinion.

#7 Posted by minigunman123 (3116 posts) - - Show Bio

@RoyHarperBLOW said:

I honestly don't get it. Sure in the SA and 60's comics were more lighthearted but they have been dark since the mid 1980's and yet a lot of people still call it "nerd stuff" and kids stuff." I mean look at this

These are only a tiny taste on how dark comics are.

Also there are other dark things like Batman ready to kill Joker in Batman Hush.

Overall I don't like the fact that thy are considered "Kid Stuff" and "Nerd Stuff"

This is more of a rant than a discussion but share your thoughts.

Who is Sentry ripping in half there?

Also, dunno why this hit me, but man, Ms. Marvel is hot in that pic.

#8 Posted by RoyHarperBLOW (1494 posts) - - Show Bio

@minigunman123: It's Ares I think.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong

#9 Posted by minigunman123 (3116 posts) - - Show Bio

@RoyHarperBLOW said:

@minigunman123: It's Ares I think.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong

Wait, Ares the God of war?

#10 Posted by RoyHarperBLOW (1494 posts) - - Show Bio

@minigunman123: Yep Ares the God of War.

#11 Posted by Funrush (1369 posts) - - Show Bio

@minigunman123 said:

Because they're unrealistic, flashy, sometimes silly, require a large amount of knowledge about fictional characters in a highly unrealistic and unrealistically illustrated universe if you expect to ever be caught up with them, and people get into stupid debates over them.

I still love them though.

This.

Also, they never read anything by Alan Moore.

#12 Posted by minigunman123 (3116 posts) - - Show Bio

@RoyHarperBLOW said:

@minigunman123: Yep Ares the God of War.

That sounds really silly. Sentry is just a mortal with superpowers, yet he just literally ripped a GOD into pieces. This is why I don't like the more "mystical" side of comic books, involving magic. It just gets weird.

#13 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (32755 posts) - - Show Bio

@minigunman123 said:

@RoyHarperBLOW said:

@minigunman123: Yep Ares the God of War.

That sounds really silly. Sentry is just a mortal with superpowers, yet he just literally ripped a GOD into pieces. This is why I don't like the more "mystical" side of comic books, involving magic. It just gets weird.

Sentry being "mortal" is debatable, as is the actual divinity of characters termed as "gods" in Marvel

Online
#14 Posted by Eternal19 (2076 posts) - - Show Bio

because they've never read a superman comic

#15 Edited by RoyHarperBLOW (1494 posts) - - Show Bio

@minigunman123: Well Marvel Gods aren't very "Godly". I mean Ares only has the abilities of a normal superhero. His magic is very limited and the only thing that stands out about him is his immortality otherwise he could just be another superhero. Also The Void has taken over Sentry so I was not very surprised but overall Marvel Ares is not that impressive. Now DC Ares on the other hand is a real mother f***ing god.

#16 Edited by Holaso (76 posts) - - Show Bio

Because comicbooks are a niche pop-culture regardless of content that is alien to the casual reader.

What the original poster posted were pictures of [dark] gory illustrations. It doesn't mean that comicbooks are no longer 'nerdy'. It just slid around the outside perimeters on the scale of geekdom to the gore-geek side. The same can be said for any niche that is not overtly manly...videogames, anime, death metal, movie-buffs, fantasy football, toy collecting, etc. They all subscribe to some level of geekiness.

If it isn't mainstream popular then its nerdy/geeky. All the popular movie superheroes transcend that geek stage to a point. But if you start to delve too deep into continuity and obscure facts about the same mainstreamed superheroes then you dove back into the nerdy/geeky realm.

It's all relative and the boundaries fluctuate. Its the core that sets everything apart.

#17 Posted by TheCrowbar (4286 posts) - - Show Bio

@minigunman123: Sentry ripping Ares apart apparently was needed for the other heroes to even have a chance to fight Sentry.

#18 Posted by tupiaz (2171 posts) - - Show Bio

@minigunman123 said:

Because they're unrealistic, flashy, sometimes silly, require a large amount of knowledge about fictional characters in a highly unrealistic and unrealistically illustrated universe if you expect to ever be caught up with them, and people get into stupid debates over them.

I still love them though.

Good points! I will here add because it is not a social event, but something you do be yourself and is keeping for yourself unless you find somebody else who reads them. In a way you are keeping yourself away from social activity and going into a dungeon of your own. This is more normal behavior among kids but not so much among adults. I acutely understand this. Of cause there is comic books/graphic novels that has an adult theme and tells a more meaningful story. Many of them are quite silly though. People should just accept that is how it is and move on. Also since comic books are visuals while it tells a story makes it more childish since many children books are made the same way.

#19 Posted by minigunman123 (3116 posts) - - Show Bio

@tupiaz said:

@minigunman123 said:

Because they're unrealistic, flashy, sometimes silly, require a large amount of knowledge about fictional characters in a highly unrealistic and unrealistically illustrated universe if you expect to ever be caught up with them, and people get into stupid debates over them.

I still love them though.

Good points! I will here add because it is not a social event, but something you do be yourself and is keeping for yourself unless you find somebody else who reads them. In a way you are keeping yourself away from social activity and going into a dungeon of your own. This is more normal behavior among kids but not so much among adults. I acutely understand this. Of cause there is comic books/graphic novels that has an adult theme and tells a more meaningful story. Many of them are quite silly though. People should just accept that is how it is and move on. Also since comic books are visuals while it tells a story makes it more childish since many children books are made the same way.

Also good points! Still, I think something is lost if you don't have the visuals, because a lot of content can be fit into a comic book if it's written properly, and the pictures let you know what's actually happening, and leave less ambivalence, so that the creators of the comic book can convey exactly what they mean in a similar way to movies. Movies are often very similar to comic books, but nobody calls them childish or nerdy; the reason is the time required and the "alone" factor. Movies are 3 hours, max, with extremely few exceptions. Comic books can take months out of a person's life straight, if you were to add up all the time they spent reading/researching comic books and whatnot. Movies are a social activity. Comic books usually are not, unless you're debating over them, and often the debates degrade into pointless arguments and one side flames the other (at least in my experience :/)

Wait... So why are we into Comic Books again? LOL

#20 Posted by TheCannon (17910 posts) - - Show Bio

@BumpyBoo said:

Ignorance.

#21 Posted by lykopis (10756 posts) - - Show Bio

@BumpyBoo said:

Ignorance.

#22 Edited by sesquipedalophobe (4691 posts) - - Show Bio

Don't read and talk about comics in public if you're embarrassed by people's opinions. It's the same deal with video games.

Also, don't be the guy discussing Wolverine's healing factor when I'm failing at picking up a cashier in the break room. It's a terrible atmosphere.

#23 Posted by tupiaz (2171 posts) - - Show Bio

@minigunman123 said:

@tupiaz said:

@minigunman123 said:

Because they're unrealistic, flashy, sometimes silly, require a large amount of knowledge about fictional characters in a highly unrealistic and unrealistically illustrated universe if you expect to ever be caught up with them, and people get into stupid debates over them.

I still love them though.

Good points! I will here add because it is not a social event, but something you do be yourself and is keeping for yourself unless you find somebody else who reads them. In a way you are keeping yourself away from social activity and going into a dungeon of your own. This is more normal behavior among kids but not so much among adults. I acutely understand this. Of cause there is comic books/graphic novels that has an adult theme and tells a more meaningful story. Many of them are quite silly though. People should just accept that is how it is and move on. Also since comic books are visuals while it tells a story makes it more childish since many children books are made the same way.

Also good points! Still, I think something is lost if you don't have the visuals, because a lot of content can be fit into a comic book if it's written properly, and the pictures let you know what's actually happening, and leave less ambivalence, so that the creators of the comic book can convey exactly what they mean in a similar way to movies. Movies are often very similar to comic books, but nobody calls them childish or nerdy; the reason is the time required and the "alone" factor. Movies are 3 hours, max, with extremely few exceptions. Comic books can take months out of a person's life straight, if you were to add up all the time they spent reading/researching comic books and whatnot. Movies are a social activity. Comic books usually are not, unless you're debating over them, and often the debates degrade into pointless arguments and one side flames the other (at least in my experience :/)

Wait... So why are we into Comic Books again? LOL

I was more thinking the visual in a book or reading material. Film on the other hand is a build up around being very visual but this Is also another media. Movies are also more social since you can watch it together (which you mention). I do agree that it would destroy comic books if they weren't visuals. They would just be books then. Still it does make many people think that comic books are like children’s book and that you can't visualize your own pictures or is a bad reader so you need pictures to support your reading.

#24 Posted by Superguy0009e (2265 posts) - - Show Bio

Comics did have an enormous following in their conception, but as the years went on, only a specific demographic began reading them. And as with everything that people don't understand, they belittle it.

#25 Posted by Jnr6Lil (7686 posts) - - Show Bio

Because you really wouldn't see the super cool kids who get all the girls and are going out to parties, reading comics. That's why it's considered nerdy

And it's considered for kids, because honestly adults could care less about superheroes.

#26 Edited by stumpy49er (609 posts) - - Show Bio

1.Embrace your nerdiness. Nothing to be ashamed of. 2. A picture of a guy ripping another guy in half isn't really the best example of something being more 'mature'. Maybe it's more 'mature' in the difference between an 8 year old and a 15 year old. A better example of something that's more mature in my opinion would be an Alan Moore comic or a Brian K Vaughn comic or any comic that has meaning to it.

#27 Posted by Brazen_Intellect (1144 posts) - - Show Bio

Most people with that opinion have not read a comic book in the past 20 years, or made their opinion from others without reading one themselves. Same thing can be said for anime, which many people think are just Japanese cartoons of the same level of complexity as The Flintstones.

#28 Edited by xybernauts (858 posts) - - Show Bio

I think women are largely responsible. I think ultimately the comedian Dave Chappelle said it best...

There’s a fundamental difference on the way we’re (men and women are) gonna see things. Our tests in life are different. A woman’s test in life is material. A man’s test in life is a woman.
Now by test I mean that those are things that we desire. Men have nice cars, not coz they like nice cars, because they know women like nice cars. That’s how it goes. Coz men are hunters, and the car’s the bait! When a woman comes in, “Oh, nice Porsche!” – “Gotcha bitch!”.
That’s how it is. That’s true! C’mon now you go to a woman’s house their house be comfortable as shit! Women love comfortable surroundings so men get comfortable surroundings. Now let me tell you something: If a man can fuck a woman in a cardboard box, he wouldn’t buy a house!

Now in terms of comics, women in general don't like comics, or video games for that matter. These things can't be used to bait women and in worse case scenarios they can actually even repel women. So in general men who want to do well with women reject comic books because women reject comic books. This same logic can also be applied to video games. Now this isn't true with all woman, but it's true with most. I'm not saying you can't do well with women and openly read comics, but that's more of the exception not the norm.

#29 Posted by RoyHarperBLOW (1494 posts) - - Show Bio
#30 Edited by xybernauts (858 posts) - - Show Bio

I also agree with these points.

@Bruxae said:

Because some people are too self-conscious to allow themself to be connected to a stereotype that originates from decades ago, most people I know who have ever called me a nerd because of an intrest I have is usually quite an unhappy person who cares alot what people think about THEM, because of long lasting low self-esteem.

@Jorgevy said:

Well, because they kinda are nerd stuff and they used to be kid stuff in the beggining

@tupiaz said:

Good points! I will here add because it is not a social event, but something you do be yourself and is keeping for yourself unless you find somebody else who reads them. In a way you are keeping yourself away from social activity and going into a dungeon of your own. This is more normal behavior among kids but not so much among adults. I acutely understand this. Of cause there is comic books/graphic novels that has an adult theme and tells a more meaningful story. Many of them are quite silly though. People should just accept that is how it is and move on. Also since comic books are visuals while it tells a story makes it more childish since many children books are made the same way.

@tupiaz said:

I was more thinking the visual in a book or reading material. Film on the other hand is a build up around being very visual but this Is also another media. Movies are also more social since you can watch it together (which you mention). I do agree that it would destroy comic books if they weren't visuals. They would just be books then. Still it does make many people think that comic books are like children’s book and that you can't visualize your own pictures or is a bad reader so you need pictures to support your reading.

#31 Posted by geoff2005 (206 posts) - - Show Bio

because stereotypes stem somewhat from the truth.

A lot adults who do read comics are not consider high social class who are extremely out going and always networking. Pretty much they arn't like Bruce Wayne.

Superheroes are mainly aimed towards kids, how many superhero cartoons do you see aimed for adults? In general kids love super heroes while adults find it childish. With Walking dead since it is not a superhero book, I think more adults and young adults read it and not considered it to be "nerdy." It the fact that it's superheroes.

I will say, I live in California and there are a lot of comic book stores and every single one I been to has mainly adult or young adult males who fall in the typical "nerd" category.

Of course times are changing just like racial stereotypes maybe in the future a lot more people will read comics and comic readers will be more diverse.

#32 Posted by Ratatat (697 posts) - - Show Bio

its only nerdy when you roleplay

#33 Posted by Blood1991 (8098 posts) - - Show Bio

@lykopis said:

@BumpyBoo said:

Ignorance.

#34 Posted by ENGLENTINE (449 posts) - - Show Bio

I was at a gas station, now I don't know what set it off, but a young black guy pointed his finger at the clerk and yelled a few curses claimed it was cause he was black, then called the clerk a racist. There was an older black man in front of me who told the clerk "That boy don't know about racism"

I got the same feeling when I read the top message. Superheroes and comics as well as nerd culture is so much more accepted now then they were in the 70's and 80's.

Tell any girl, it is like a soap opera for guys. Sure there are girls who read comics, but the majority of those enjoying our hobby are outies not inies. Compare it to webisodes if you have to, but ultimately, don't feel like a nerd for enjoying it. Remember what the #1 movie was this year.

#35 Posted by zackattack529 (1404 posts) - - Show Bio

I love comics, been collecting them for a long time....but it is associated with the geek culture, and they did start out aimed toward children and are stilla aimed at kids, and when the kids grew up they were really the more loyal fans, so they were the demographic during late 70's early 80's, so in the 80's they made mainstream comics more darker and aimed toward the adults(loyal fans) who used to be kids. and of course now we have transcended into a point where they're have been movies and even reboots of comics where anyone can jump in, whether your a fan of the movie or have been a fan of the characters you read in the comics. we have reached a poiint in geek culture where everyone is accepted to the point where Lbales like "nerd stuff" or "kid stuff" aren't even valid..I mean go to comic con..look how PACKED it is with all sorts of people!? this is 2012..no one makes fun of anyone anymore..everyone just wants to be a hipster lol

But yaa I would be the first to admit comics are geeky and nerds can sometimes get TOO caught up into them, like an example go to the battle fourms and post a debate between two different characters..people will RAGE over the battle, especially if it is a mismatch and Mods are willing to ban an account for such an act. Nerds give us casual readers a bad name when it comes to comics and stuff like that. Seriosuly, youd think some people live theyre lives through comics(or the battle fourms).

But other than that, they're still awesome and no one should be ashamed to read them or collect them :)

#36 Posted by RoyHarperBLOW (1494 posts) - - Show Bio

At least the two most popular movies of 2012 are based on Comic Book Heroes.

#37 Posted by Jnr6Lil (7686 posts) - - Show Bio

@RoyHarperBLOW: Comic book movies and comic books themselves are a difference

#38 Posted by RoyHarperBLOW (1494 posts) - - Show Bio

@Jnr6Lil: I said based on comic book heroes never said anything about the movies being based on comic books.

#39 Posted by Jnr6Lil (7686 posts) - - Show Bio

@RoyHarperBLOW: Yeah but I think the point you were trying to make is that since comic book movies are popular, comics are no longer for nerds and kids.

#40 Posted by RoyHarperBLOW (1494 posts) - - Show Bio

@Jnr6Lil: lol. I never said that. That wasn't what I was event trying to say.

#41 Posted by chocobojam (288 posts) - - Show Bio

its because other people think that comics are a waste of money. that money should be spend more wisely to other things that are far more important. same goes to video games, action figures, cards and the like.

#42 Posted by Manwhohaseverything (1828 posts) - - Show Bio

Not so sure I buy the premise. Did Batman and Avengers do sow ell at the box office jus ton the nerd/kid audience?

#43 Posted by Jnr6Lil (7686 posts) - - Show Bio

@RoyHarperBLOW: Then explain please