• 53 results
#1 Posted by Rankorr25 (49 posts) - - Show Bio

I mean, they're hotter than certain real life supermodels, the're almost perfect, how come there isn't a single average looking or a little ugly chick? Why all the women of modern comic books have to be above models in appearance?

#2 Edited by Marionettegeist (1912 posts) - - Show Bio

@rankorr25: To attract certain demographics. Plus the creators might like drawing them that way as well.

#3 Posted by Extremis (3344 posts) - - Show Bio

Certainly a problem with the comic book medium and not I'm not being sarcastic. Some of us like realistic, positive portrayals of men AND women in comics.

#4 Posted by green_skaar (4415 posts) - - Show Bio

@extremis said:

Certainly a problem with the comic book medium and not I'm not being sarcastic. Some of us like realistic, positive portrayals of men AND women in comics.

#5 Posted by Bruxae (13478 posts) - - Show Bio

Because not as many people would read otherwise, its not right but thats just how it is.

#6 Posted by lifeofvibe (3471 posts) - - Show Bio

@rankorr25: as a wise somebody once said...SEX SALES

#7 Edited by PowerHerc (83261 posts) - - Show Bio

Because the artists draw them that way.

#8 Posted by Yokergeist (12355 posts) - - Show Bio

Which one would you rather read about: A hot woman or an ugly woman?

#9 Posted by Black_Arrow (2929 posts) - - Show Bio

Because that is what almost every comic book reader want

#10 Posted by NorrinBoltagonPrime21 (5784 posts) - - Show Bio

Because every comic book character is drawn to perfection, both males and females.

#11 Posted by dondave (36562 posts) - - Show Bio

Because every comic book character is drawn to perfection, both males and females.

#12 Edited by Zijuun (854 posts) - - Show Bio

Sales. DC Comics wouldn't sell if Wonder Woman's breasts didn't punch out of her costume. Same with Zatanna, Starfire, Powergirl, etc. And Marvel females like Ms. Marvel.

I know it's wrong, it looks wrong. A problem with mainstream comics (I'm looking at you Marvel and DC).

Z I J U U N

#13 Edited by danhimself (22492 posts) - - Show Bio

Cause

#14 Posted by Extremis (3344 posts) - - Show Bio

@bruxae: nah people would still read it. I despise that point of view because its defeatist for one, and for two it perpetuates the problem.

#15 Posted by Extremis (3344 posts) - - Show Bio

@green_skaar: now whenever I see "green_skaar" ill see that

I hope that's ok

#16 Edited by Xwraith (17314 posts) - - Show Bio

Because superheroes are supposed to have the ideal human body.

#17 Posted by green_skaar (4415 posts) - - Show Bio

@extremis said:

@green_skaar: now whenever I see "green_skaar" ill see that

I hope that's ok

Haha, I'm cool with that.

#18 Posted by Wolverine08 (41113 posts) - - Show Bio

Because hot girls are awesome.

#19 Edited by Extremis (3344 posts) - - Show Bio

@xwraith: yeah but I think the OP is talking comic book women in general. In which case they're not always supposed to look a certain way.

#20 Posted by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6256 posts) - - Show Bio

"Hotness" is a matter of opinion. I don't think all female characters are drawn that way, but it will vary from artist to artist.

#21 Posted by Extremis (3344 posts) - - Show Bio

@v_scarlotte_rose: true but I think we can agree that women in general are way over sexualized in comics.

#22 Posted by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6256 posts) - - Show Bio
#23 Posted by GraniteSoldier (7537 posts) - - Show Bio

It's because heroes are supposed to be iconic in morality and appearance. Every male character is cut and good looking to encourage female buyers, same as female costumes to appeal to female fanbase. If you're looking for a good female-led book without scantily costumes or sexualizing the members, I suggest the X-Men (the all-female one). It's very well written and they aren't used as eye candy.

#24 Posted by sagejonathan (1936 posts) - - Show Bio

Everyone always says that women are overdone to perfection or being unrealistic in comics but so are the men. Personally, unless a character is absolutely barf hideous, I wouldn't mind reading their book as long as its good.

#25 Edited by THEOCITYLEGEND (1200 posts) - - Show Bio

Because no one wants to see a fat Wonder Woman.

#26 Posted by StrangeMan (410 posts) - - Show Bio

Because in comic book land there is no such thing as unnatractive people.

#27 Posted by JetiiMitra (8517 posts) - - Show Bio

Pics or it didn't happen.

#28 Posted by sync1 (2959 posts) - - Show Bio
#29 Posted by Extremis (3344 posts) - - Show Bio

@granitesoldier: every male character is cut and good looking for "female" readers...riiiight

#30 Edited by Extremis (3344 posts) - - Show Bio

@sagejonathan: the attention drawn to women is that they are over sexualized whereas men are not. Both are misrepresented though, I will give you that any day of the week. But any good feminist knows that its the men who enjoy this fantasy world where men are hulking and perfect and women are also perfect yet dressed in near to nothing half the time. It's not the women who they are trying to appeal to with Superman's muscles. It's young imaginative guys. Look at the demographic that makes up comic book readership as evidence.

#31 Edited by GraniteSoldier (7537 posts) - - Show Bio

@extremis said:

@granitesoldier: every male character is cut and good looking for "female" readers...riiiight

Or gay readers. I don't care. What are you trying to prove by quoting me here?

#32 Posted by GraniteSoldier (7537 posts) - - Show Bio

Because in comic book land there is no such thing as unnatractive people.

This is pretty accurate. Even background characters and supporting characters tend to not be ugly. The only "ugly" ones at times are villains.

#33 Posted by CheeseSticks (2447 posts) - - Show Bio

Because most of the readers are men

#34 Posted by Extremis (3344 posts) - - Show Bio

@granitesoldier: who do you think makes up the vast majority of comic readers? Females and gay males or straight males? That should answer your question

#35 Posted by GraniteSoldier (7537 posts) - - Show Bio

@extremis said:

@granitesoldier: who do you think makes up the vast majority of comic readers? Females and gay males or straight males? That should answer your question

The point is not really WHO it's for. The point is that men are physically "perfect" same as the women, and wear tight form fitted spandex or whatever else. I don't really care who it's for, if you want to read books for muscle men go for it, I think most people (male or female) aren't reading the books for what characters look like. Certainly the way they look or their outfits can catch people's eyes, but I doubt that alone would keep people buying with how expensive books are these days.

If you just want looks, you can find pictures on the internet for free.

#36 Edited by Extremis (3344 posts) - - Show Bio

@granitesoldier:

No seriously that is the point, they look that way because they know men reading it want to see that. You can claim you don't like it, but you read it and consequently support it like everyone else.

Would you be cool with Venom being 5'4 and 350 lbs, none of it muscle? Just curious

#37 Posted by GraniteSoldier (7537 posts) - - Show Bio

@extremis said:

@granitesoldier:

No seriously that is the point, they look that way because they know men reading it want to see that. You can claim you don't like it, but you read it and consequently support it like everyone else.

Would you be cool with Venom being 5'4 and 350 lbs, none of it muscle? Just curious

I see your point, but it wouldn't matter to me personally that much. Now am I not going to lie and I'd LIKE it, but if he suddenly gained weight I wouldn't stop reading. I like the characterization, the development. Outside the fact no soldier looks that way that I've met, I do see what you're saying. We objectify ourselves and want to see what we wish we were. I concede that point, and with Venom's sales being apparently bad enough to warrant cancellation, I guess he'd have even fewer readers.

#38 Posted by Extremis (3344 posts) - - Show Bio

@granitesoldier: yeah see that's all I'm saying. And it's a weird revelation because I realize it myself, even though I condemn it on some level. But humans are contradictory by nature so my cognitive dissonance isn't surprising I guess lol

#39 Posted by PeppeyHare (4310 posts) - - Show Bio

WHO CARES? I don't understand this obsession of wanting ugly comic characters

#40 Posted by GraniteSoldier (7537 posts) - - Show Bio

@extremis said:

@granitesoldier: yeah see that's all I'm saying. And it's a weird revelation because I realize it myself, even though I condemn it on some level. But humans are contradictory by nature so my cognitive dissonance isn't surprising I guess lol

No you're right. We read to escape reality, we watch movies to do the same. Like I said before even supporting or background characters are never ugly. We don't want to do it but we do.

#41 Posted by Extremis (3344 posts) - - Show Bio

@granitesoldier: yeah it's mess up haha well not entirely, because it is fantasy I guess.

But it depends what kind of comic it is. I like gritty realistic comics too. Superhero comics do tend to be more glamorous, but if that was happening in non superhero comics that I read then I'd probably have more of a problem lol

#42 Posted by ganon15 (1448 posts) - - Show Bio

Because that's how I like them. lol

#43 Posted by Extremis (3344 posts) - - Show Bio
#44 Posted by TekTheNinja (766 posts) - - Show Bio

sex sells.

#45 Posted by thespideyguy (2642 posts) - - Show Bio

Who wants to draw small boobs.

#46 Posted by GraniteSoldier (7537 posts) - - Show Bio

@extremis said:

@granitesoldier: yeah it's mess up haha well not entirely, because it is fantasy I guess.

But it depends what kind of comic it is. I like gritty realistic comics too. Superhero comics do tend to be more glamorous, but if that was happening in non superhero comics that I read then I'd probably have more of a problem lol

There is always Jonah Hex.

#47 Posted by Catsnlynne (1020 posts) - - Show Bio

There are hot chicks in comic books? I only noticed the hot guys in comic books.

#48 Posted by Extremis (3344 posts) - - Show Bio
#49 Posted by TheArtOfRuin (135 posts) - - Show Bio

WHO CARES? I don't understand this obsession of wanting ugly comic characters

#50 Posted by Deathstroke02 (2378 posts) - - Show Bio