Why Aquaman doesn't have the respect that he deserves?

• 63 results
Raiden_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 12

He receives far more respect than he deserves.

ComicStooge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By ComicStooge

@saren said:

He receives far more respect than he deserves.

Pfft, exactly.

He doesn't even wear the emblem of a flying rodent on his chest. How are we supposed to respect a character like that?

judasnixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By judasnixon
No Caption Provided

Jonez_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Jonez_

Aquaman is a badass, and he would whoop the sh!t out of Batman or Spider-Man. Just saying.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

People refusing to read his comics and relying on ignorance and word of mouth to reinforce their opinion that he's "lame".

Aros001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Anyone who can probably create a Sharknado is alright in my book.

Aquaman was here.
Aquaman was here.

Dratini1331

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He's pretty appropriately respected amongst relevant parties, it's just people who know little to nothing about the character that don't respect him. Aquaman is still my favorite n52 series thus far.

Avatar image for deactivated-611928878d365
deactivated-611928878d365

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mostly because non- comic-book fans don't know him very well.

Wolfrazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Wolfrazer  Online

You know, I think people were jealous of Aquaman cause they can't do that, so they picked on him back then to make themselves feel better.

Jphu8414

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Ignorance

Avatar image for thetruebarryallen
TheTrueBarryAllen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Superfriends, man. Superfriends.

kriminal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By kriminal

uh, he is a mermaid. enough said.

I know he can fight but you wont see me buying an aquaman comic anytime its not in a crossover.

reaverlation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Big Bang Theory

SavageSick97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hanna-Barbera

Franchise1590

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Franchise1590

What are you talking about? All I see are Aquaman fanboys nowadays.

They're annoying as hell. Mainly because they are insecure and overly defensive.

All I see are themcalling people ignorant and taking shots at Superman or Batman.

Protip: insulting other heroes to build up your fav will only make more people hate them.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

You know, I think people were jealous of Aquaman cause they can't do that, so they picked on him back then to make themselves feel better.

I take it you've never been to a dolphin show?

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Big Bang Theory

Aquaman's rep was set far before BBT was even an idea. It's just a drop in a bucket.

reaverlation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wolfrazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Wolfrazer  Online

@dernman: I was meaning controlling sea life, water and the like. Also was a joke.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dernman: I was meaning controlling sea life, water and the like. Also was a joke.

So was I.

Raiden_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Raiden_

@comicstooge: then why he wasn't in the Justice League wars movie! I was disappointed when they remove Aquaman and put Shazam instead. It was a cool movie, but there was a part when they were fighting on water Aquaman suppose to show up on that scene D;

Experio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd say he got enough

stormshadow_x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 22

Honestly. Family Guy and Super Friends

aquaman01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By aquaman01

The same reason why most people still think Superman is just a nice little boy scout (before and still after Man of Steel), think Batman actually still kills people (again, still before and after Nolan Batman films), think that flash is nowhere near as strong as people like Superman or even Cyborg, think that Starfire is this girl who is VERY naive (I mean, more so than the comic version) and who is perfectly innocent.

Television. Well, tv never showed Batman killed but the Keaton film showed it so I guess people base batman on that?

Dratini1331

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kriminal said:

I know he can fight but you wont see me buying an aquaman comic anytime its not in a crossover.

darn shame then. His n52 run has been spectacular. It's been as good as the GL run IMO, and It's my favorite of them, with Earth 2 coming in second due to me only having read the first volume.

Dratini1331

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@raiden_ said:

@comicstooge: then why he wasn't in the Justice League wars movie! I was disappointed when they remove Aquaman and put Shazam instead. It was a cool movie, but there was a part when they were fighting on water Aquaman suppose to show up on that scene D;

1. They think Shazam sells better
  2. The next movie coming out is a sequel, and it's going to be Throne of Atlantis, so they saved AM for that.
kriminal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By kriminal

@kriminal said:

darn shame then. His n52 run has been spectacular. It's been as good as the GL run IMO, and It's my favorite of them, with Earth 2 coming in second due to me only having read the first volume.

not doubting it. I spend a lot on comics as it is (around 100 a month at least) so buying an issue of aquaman just doesn't fit anywhere. as it is I cant afford uncanny xmen, jla, iron man, hulk, any avenger book, ect. I think I get enough aquaman in justice league anyway.

Ostyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Ostyo

Saren is clearly to blame for.

Raiden_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If he surpasses Poseidon even though he got the spear... pffft idk he should be respected all i'm saying even though he is not my favorite superhero because he can summon these kind sea creatures (the pix are bellow XD) and we all know in the sea there are a lot of fishes and sea creatures we don't know that they exist v.v he suppose to summon godzila, but is godzila considered as a sea creature or a lizard XD?

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

I like it how he mopped Superman on the floor when he got the hand thingy on his left ^^

No Caption Provided

jasonhawke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The same reason why the LoL community thinks ezreal and Taric are gay and Teemo is satan.

It's just for fun.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

I have a hard time giving him respect because as far as I can see, he is totally dependent on being near a large body of water in order to be cool. Plus I can't say I have ever been a fan of his classic visuals, give me the bearded pirate look any day over the Steve Rogers look.

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He receives all the respect he deserves, and it is a pretty small amount. Aquaman really isn't all that great unless he is in water and that makes the plot stupid sometimes when other heroes are involved

aquaman01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jayc1324 said:

He receives all the respect he deserves, and it is a pretty small amount. Aquaman really isn't all that great unless he is in water and that makes the plot stupid sometimes when other heroes are involved

See, I never understood that. Why? Because he can summon aquatic creatures? You do know he is very strong right? If we are saying that people who are strong are useless, than beings like some of the hulk family, Luke Cage, Thing, colossus, etc... Those are all beings whose basically only have super strength and durability. And Aquaman could beat many of them...

So, do you consider those people to not deserve respect?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@aquaman01: I don't respect him our of water. Or how he can make a storyline idiotic just for him to be worth something. And the concept of a character only worth something in water is silly.

Comparing Arthur to those characters isn't fair because strength is their main thing. Aqua man has a plethora of powers he just can't use on land

deaditegonzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By deaditegonzo

Because DC thinks character development is having an underrated character punch Superman in the face. Seriously, no matter how man PIS-y moments are added of Aquaman hitting someone he really shouldnt even be able to touch, it wont make him a popular character. Try telling good stories, giving the character good villains, and giving them a good personality.

aquaman01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jayc1324 said:

@aquaman01: I don't respect him our of water. Or how he can make a storyline idiotic just for him to be worth something. And the concept of a character only worth something in water is silly.

Comparing Arthur to those characters isn't fair because strength is their main thing. Aqua man has a plethora of powers he just can't use on land

But that doesn't make sense? He lives both on land and sea. Yeah, he has many powers in the ocean and can't use on land, so? It's not like it makes him weaker or anything. Him controlling sea life is a plus, it doesn't make his character. That is like saying that if Superman or WW can't fly, then their character is not as respectable... How isn't he not the same? You are saying that, on land, AQ has super strength, speed, and durability. Yet, he can defeat people who can lift over 100 tons...

And the storyline thing doesn't make any sense. How was it idiotic? That is easily one of the best story lines (IMO) in the New 52.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@aquaman01: take away all of their powers except for strength and yes I would respect them less. Him being on land negates most of his powers. He's aquaman. Aqua, as in water. He's still strong and fast and stuff but so are a lot of peopke

I didn't mean the new 52 story I meant the older JL comics. In one of them the villians base was underwater just for aquaman.

aquaman01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jayc1324 said:

@aquaman01: take away all of their powers except for strength and yes I would respect them less. Him being on land negates most of his powers. He's aquaman. Aqua, as in water. He's still strong and fast and stuff but so are a lot of peopke

I didn't mean the new 52 story I meant the older JL comics. In one of them the villians base was underwater just for aquaman.

Oh, my bad. Anyways, I guess we will just disagree on this :) I respect characters on their personalities, not on their powers or even effectiveness.

primebonnick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i blame super friends to be honest but flashpoint and the new 52 have given me great respect for the guy now.

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 140

#42  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

@raiden_ said:

1. They think Shazam sells better
  2. The next movie coming out is a sequel, and it's going to be Throne of Atlantis, so they saved AM for that.

they dont think Shazam sells better. Geoff Johns wants to push his friendship with Cyborg.

Dratini1331

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Dratini1331

@avenging_x_bolt: ? Did he say that in an interview? I thought it was just because Shazam sells better to the general public honestly.

Extremis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 55

How doesn't he? Readership is up (I'm one of them) and people are making threads like this so I'd say he does.

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 140

@avenging_x_bolt: ? Did he say that in an interview? I thought it was just because Shazam sells better to the general public honestly.

yes, he did. Shazam was honestly a nobody to the general public until recently and Aquaman is one of the best selling titles of the new 52 so it really wouldn't make much sense otherwise. why do you think they had to introduce Shazam in Justice League instead of his own book?

Dratini1331

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Dratini1331

@avenging_x_bolt: hmm, fair enough. I've heard plenty of rave reviews about Shazam's books, but perhaps that's not totally reflective of sales. Anyways, thanks for the info :D

BlackWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By BlackWind

Just because most people are completely ignorant on the character and just repeat what they've heard from other people which is usually wrong information. You can't really get mad at the fans when the haters are usually don't even have the right info to criticize.

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

Because DC thinks character development is having an underrated character punch Superman in the face. Seriously, no matter how man PIS-y moments are added of Aquaman hitting someone he really shouldnt even be able to touch, it wont make him a popular character. Try telling good stories, giving the character good villains, and giving them a good personality.

The irony in the post is hilarious since you're one of the people currently ranting about how Wonder Woman isn't strong enough.

Also tells me you haven't read much Aquaman either.

MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@jayc1324: You mean like Batman seems to be the only one to have a plan, though the rest of the team should be prep masters? Or are you talking about when Superman tells the team, he was "holding back" and decides to nearly solo the villains(s)?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@maccyd: I'm not seeing anything wrong with either of those instances. Batman has more cunning and is a better tactician than anyone on the justice league and he infiltrated Darkseid's base which no one else could do like he did. And superman is always holding back so it makes sense he has to remind himself when he can go all out.