#1  Edited By TylerDurden7272

I'll start this off... Peter David

DBVSE7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Black /African American writers in general.

Avatar image for themetalgearzero
TheMetalGearZero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Michael Brian Bendis.

Night4345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Peter David.

bladewolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cullen Bunn

pikachumonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

all of the above

Extremis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 55

Joshua Dysart

Winter_Kills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have a list:

Mark Gruenwald

J.M. DeMatteis

Peter David

Steve Gerber

Martin Pasko

Roger Stern

Gerry Conway

Bill Mantlo

Len Wein

Marv Wolfman

Roy Thomas

J.M. Lofficier

Steve Englehart

Dan Jurgens

Michael Avon Oeming

Rick Veitch

Warren Ellis

Kurt Busiek

Paul Dini

Kyle Higgins

Michael Fleischer

Don MacGregor

Mike Mignola

Avatar image for deactivated-097092725
deactivated-097092725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Winter_Kills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Winter_Kills

@winter_kills:

That's some list.

I was thinking Kieron Gillen.

Well, just putting down all the writers that I could think of that get little to no praise. Like Mantlo, who did the Incredible Hulk for over a decade & helped create Rocket Raccoon among other things. I thought about Gillen too, his work on Thor & Journey into Mystery is extremely underrated, great runs that I loved. Wasn't a big fan of "The Secret Origin of Tony Stark" though. But as Primus said, "they can't all be zingers."

devitciiu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 17

Greg Rucka - Really helped Batman stories evolve, Whiteout was good, wrote a terrific Punisher.

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 43

Gail Simone, Greg Rucka, Garth Ennis, Paul Dini.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fbfd5d291164
deactivated-5fbfd5d291164

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 74

User Lists: 7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joygirl: How is Ennis underrated? Dini isn't really underrated either. Rucka and Simone I can see as underrated.

RDClip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By RDClip

Jimmy Palmiotti

Alex Ross (he worked on the story for KC and co-wrote some issues of JSA)

Chuck Dixon

Kelly Sue DeConnick

Geoff Johns (just because he has been hit or miss lately, doesn't mean he didn't write great stuff before)

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 43

@dagmar_merrill: Ennis and Dini both get mad haters, yo. And Ennis often gets criticized for being gimmicky when, if you actually read his work, it's pretty clear that he's actually just awesome.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a162dd41dd64
deactivated-5a162dd41dd64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 100

User Lists: 6

BatWatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 238

User Lists: 1

I've been really impressed with a lot of Greg Rucka's work, and though he is certainly not unrecognized, the work I've seen puts him with the greats.

Also, I can't see how Dini can be considered underrated. His work on Batman is some of the most treasured of all time. A few oddball haters don't negate that.

I also don't see how Marv Wolfman could get much more respect. He was once one of the biggest names in the business and he still gets a lot of praise.

johnny_blaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

Any African American writer like someone said above, Judd Winick, Chuck Dixon, Robert Kirkman & Marv Wolfman. Someone said Gail Simone is underrated, she's insanely overrated. And she's pretty rude, I met her at a comic con before. So I'm bias.

TheMetalGearZero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SoundnFury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Though I don't agree that Bendis is underrated, I will say he, much like Miller, Millar, Ennis, Johns and other controversial writers, is bad sometimes, but when he's good he's stellar.

QueenCorp15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jeff lemire

Kyle higgins

Zainu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

lol Gail Simone is waaay too overrated. Her fanbase is almost blind in adoration of her.

Marjorie Liu, on the other hand, is underrated.

Avatar image for transformers1024
Transformers1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Kyle Higgens

Jeff Lemire

Will Pfiefer

Quickfingers26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Chuck Dixon and Stan Lee.

Yes I am saying Stan Lee, but as the writer and not just creator of characters. I think nowadays we focus a lot more on "the man who created Spider-Man and the Fantastic Four", but he was also one helluva story teller.

Avatar image for dathomiesilversurfer
DatHomieSilverSurfer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@testament said:

hahaha that is exactly the first name that came to mind when I read the thread title

hmm, I'd give a shout out to Chris Yost. X-Force, Scarlet Spider, Avenging Spider-Man, awesomesauce now with New Warriors and Amazing X-men

also, Cullen Bunn! Fearless Defenders was a gem

und auch Jeff Lemire

Winter_Kills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@winter_kills: Most of those are not under rated at all.

@themetalgearzero said:

Michael Brian Bendis.

No, he is not.

Actually, a lot of those I listed I rarely hear comic fans & people in the industry praise. Like for example, when was the last time you heard anyone in a comics conversation talking about Steve Englehart? Or Gerry Conway? Bill Mantlo is the biggest example. He did a long run on the Incredible Hulk, was responsible for Bruce Banner's backstory with his abusive father, & even created Rocket Raccoon, but he is rarely ever talked about in comic circles, & should be, considering his skill & contributions, & his medical condition. I hope that the GotG movie give thanks to Bill Mantlo because of his creation of Rocket, & that proceeds from the film & the character itself can be given to his family for his medical bills. It'd be the right thing to do. On that note, Mike Mignola, who did the first Rocket Raccoon mini-series with Mantlo, gets praise for his art, but rarely praised for his writing, which really shines in folklore/horror-laden tales like Hellboy. Len Wein is seldom spoke about, or given any praise, even though he created Wolverine in his Incredible Hulk run, as well as other key characters to the MU & X-mythos such as Colossus, Storm, & Nightcrawler with Dave Cockrum in the historic Giant-Size X-Men, plus multiple notable contributions to the MU. Marv Wolfman is severely underrated; it's said between both Marvel & DC, he created almost as many characters as Stan Lee & Jack Kirby, but gets very little praise, & like Len Wein, very few writing gigs currently as well. Wolfman & Perez made the Titans a book that competed with the X-Men, creating characters like Cyborg, Starfire & Raven; he & Perez created Deathstroke & the Nightwing identity & he wrote one of the biggest events in comic history, Crisis; & at Marvel the guy wrote several books, & created characters such as Blade & Bullseye. His work with Gene Colan on Tomb of Dracula is hugely underrated. His creative ability doesn't get the praise it deserves in the 21st century, that was what I was thinking with all the writers on my list. But on my list, I think the most severely underrated is the late Mark Gruenwald. Besides Stan & Ed Brubaker, he did one of the longest runs on Captain America, doing several great stories like "The Captain" & "The Scourge of the Underworld", but even in conversations about Cap runs with other Cap fans he's hardly ever mentioned. Gruenwald also did the epic Squadron Supreme series, & was the first person to truly give Hawkeye a chance to shine solo in his first mini-series(where his art skills are severely underrated as well), & introduced Mockingbird into the larger MU by making her Hawk's partner & wife. He was also a master of using obscure characters & concepts & turning them into something awesome. He had a knowledge of comics history, character interactions & continuity that is unsurpassed. His love for the characters practically bled out onto the page, which makes sense his cremated remains were placed in the ink of the tpb of what he considered his greatest work, the aforementioned Squadron Supreme. And even according to people at Marvel, one of the best editors they ever had after Stan the Man himself. I'll even add another name to the list: Doug Moench. His work on Moon Knight was ahead of its time, gritty, gripping, visceral, hard-hitting stuff that still sets the standard for today's work with that character. He did some great Batman stories as well.

nintendork666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Slott always gets way too much hate online. I love his stuff.

Avatar image for greatcaesarsghost
GreatCaesarsGhost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

John Byrne's work with Marvel does not get enough praise.... On the other hand his work on Superman was pretty terrible. Although, I'm pretty sure he invented Sun Dipping for Superman, which has become a standard for the character.

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#30  Edited By Superguy1591

Greg Pak to me, he writes great human characters.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dagmar_merrill said:

@themetalgearzero said:

Michael Brian Bendis.

No, he is not.

Actually, a lot of those I listed I rarely hear comic fans & people in the industry praise. Like for example, when was the last time you heard anyone in a comics conversation talking about Steve Englehart? Or Gerry Conway? Bill Mantlo is the biggest example. He did a long run on the Incredible Hulk, was responsible for Bruce Banner's backstory with his abusive father, & even created Rocket Raccoon, but he is rarely ever talked about in comic circles, & should be, considering his skill & contributions, & his medical condition. I hope that the GotG movie give thanks to Bill Mantlo because of his creation of Rocket, & that proceeds from the film & the character itself can be given to his family for his medical bills. It'd be the right thing to do. On that note, Mike Mignola, who did the first Rocket Raccoon mini-series with Mantlo, gets praise for his art, but rarely praised for his writing, which really shines in folklore/horror-laden tales like Hellboy. Len Wein is seldom spoke about, or given any praise, even though he created Wolverine in his Incredible Hulk run, as well as other key characters to the MU & X-mythos such as Colossus, Storm, & Nightcrawler with Dave Cockrum in the historic Giant-Size X-Men, plus multiple notable contributions to the MU. Marv Wolfman is severely underrated; it's said between both Marvel & DC, he created almost as many characters as Stan Lee & Jack Kirby, but gets very little praise, & like Len Wein, very few writing gigs currently as well. Wolfman & Perez made the Titans a book that competed with the X-Men, creating characters like Cyborg, Starfire & Raven; he & Perez created Deathstroke & the Nightwing identity & he wrote one of the biggest events in comic history, Crisis; & at Marvel the guy wrote several books, & created characters such as Blade & Bullseye. His work with Gene Colan on Tomb of Dracula is hugely underrated. His creative ability doesn't get the praise it deserves in the 21st century, that was what I was thinking with all the writers on my list. But on my list, I think the most severely underrated is the late Mark Gruenwald. Besides Stan & Ed Brubaker, he did one of the longest runs on Captain America, doing several great stories like "The Captain" & "The Scourge of the Underworld", but even in conversations about Cap runs with other Cap fans he's hardly ever mentioned. Gruenwald also did the epic Squadron Supreme series, & was the first person to truly give Hawkeye a chance to shine solo in his first mini-series(where his art skills are severely underrated as well), & introduced Mockingbird into the larger MU by making her Hawk's partner & wife. He was also a master of using obscure characters & concepts & turning them into something awesome. He had a knowledge of comics history, character interactions & continuity that is unsurpassed. His love for the characters practically bled out onto the page, which makes sense his cremated remains were placed in the ink of the tpb of what he considered his greatest work, the aforementioned Squadron Supreme. And even according to people at Marvel, one of the best editors they ever had after Stan the Man himself. I'll even add another name to the list: Doug Moench. His work on Moon Knight was ahead of its time, gritty, gripping, visceral, hard-hitting stuff that still sets the standard for today's work with that character. He did some great Batman stories as well.

Well yeah, but you also had people like Ellis, Roy Thomas, J.M. DeMatteis.. who are not underrated.

BatWatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By BatWatch

@johnny_blaze: On Simone, I can testify that she is very snide and demeaning on her twitter feed to anyone who disagrees with her politically. I tried debating with her on abortion, and she banned me.

Tolerance!

I haven't read a lot of Simone's work, but I agree Batgirl was way overrated. It had some good moments but also some terrible moments and was rather meh overall.

Avatar image for thatguywithheadphones
thatguywithheadphones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squares said:

@themetalgearzero said:

Michael Brian Bendis.

Is he Brian Michael Bendis' brother?

Not a very inventive naming method, is it?

TheMetalGearZero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By TheMetalGearZero
Avatar image for deactivated-097092725
deactivated-097092725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@winter_kills said:

@hislolita said:

@winter_kills:

That's some list.

I was thinking Kieron Gillen.

Well, just putting down all the writers that I could think of that get little to no praise. Like Mantlo, who did the Incredible Hulk for over a decade & helped create Rocket Raccoon among other things. I thought about Gillen too, his work on Thor & Journey into Mystery is extremely underrated, great runs that I loved. Wasn't a big fan of "The Secret Origin of Tony Stark" though. But as Primus said, "they can't all be zingers."

Great points. And I agree with your other post as well. There seems to be a little confusion between underrated and who is more famous and/or criticized.

@zainu said:

lol Gail Simone is waaay too overrated. Her fanbase is almost blind in adoration of her.

Marjorie Liu, on the other hand, is underrated.

I was going to mention Liu but the way she ended X-23's run by throwing Julian under the bus made me a wee bit sour. I always had the sense of her pushing characters under her pen at the expense of others. Don't ask me for an example outside of Julian, haha, I can't think of any offhand. I didn't follow her run on Astonishing X-Men so I might be proven wrong when I finally get to .

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

I wouldn't call most of these writers underrated.

@extremis said:

Joshua Dysart

I know you like his Valiant work but have you read his Unknown Soldier? It's his best work so far.

BB

Winter_Kills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dagmar_merrill:

@winter_kills said:
@dagmar_merrill said:

@themetalgearzero said:

Michael Brian Bendis.

No, he is not.

Well yeah, but you also had people like Ellis, Roy Thomas, J.M. DeMatteis.. who are not underrated.

I mention Ellis because some of his other works, besides Iron Man Extremis & his recent run on Moon Knight don't get many accolades, for example his "Worldengine" arc on Thor. J.M. DeMatteis, I sort of feel he's treated the same way as Wolfman & Wein. He did a great Captain America run with Mike Zeck, but like with Gruenwald, you rarely even hear Cap fans talk about it. I also think I was one of the few people that enjoyed his Spectre run, it was really thought-provoking stuff. the same with '90s Man-Thing. And Roy Thomas- he practically brought Conan to comics when he acquired him for Marvel in the '60s. his original stories & adaptations of Howard's stuff get little props, as well as his work with Golden Age characters at both Marvel & DC, like the Invaders & the All-Star Squadron respectively. The man can write those period-based characters so well, & has an almost encyclopedic knowledge of them, but gets little praise about them. I have Thomas' Conan encyclopedia, & I swear the man knows more about Conan & the Hyborian Age than anyone living. His wife Dann is also severely underrated as she co-wrote many projects with him. I almost hold the guy in the same regard as Lee & Kirby, he's a hero of mine. Hell, even as legendary as he is, a lot of Kirby's writing projects beyond the Fourth World are underrated, like Kamandi the Last Boy on Earth, O.M.A.C. & his '70's Cap & Black Panther runs, & the Captain Victory & Secret City stuff, which I greatly enjoy. (Especially Kamandi!) I'd also like to add in Erik Larsen on that note- I admit I didn't enjoy his initial Savage Dragon stuff, but his later Kirby-inspired stuff(starting with "This Savage World") I really got into- he understands what makes comics fun on a classical level.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@winter_kills: Have you ever met Roy Thomas? He's a really nice guy.

Winter_Kills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@winter_kills: Have you ever met Roy Thomas? He's a really nice guy.

No, but man I'd love to. He lives in South Carolina, so that's not that far a distance from me, I live in NC. I feel like I have more of a chance of meeting him than anyone else. I'd love to meet him or Stan one time. So many people have got to meet Stan, but I haven't yet. They're both on my bucket list- meet Stan the Man & Roy.

mandman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By mandman

@dagmar_merrill: All three wildly overrated. Rucka and Simone appeal to niche groups and have rabid fans. Ennis is a one hit wonder. Read one of his series, you've read em all. But this is about the underrated ones.

Seriously one name that I don't see enough. Brian Q. Miller. He made me like Stephanie Brown. What was the one thing Smallville Season ten left me wanting? Not more Smallville, he changed my mind. The guy gets maybe one book, and makes it a single bright star. LLu is young. I'm sure she'll get recognition between being a woman and being talented. Reeder is the most underrated artist. She got stuck doing Batwoman for JH Williams, and that put her off of DC. But she's still working so eh. Tim Seeley a year ago would have been on here. Kelly Puckett too and Daimon Scott.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@winter_kills: Yeah, I live in SC so I got to meet him a few months ago. He's incredibly nice and would answer any questions you can ask. I also goty copy of kree skrull war signed by him.

Winter_Kills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dagmar_merrill:

Awesome! I would've loved that, holding out hope that I'll run into him & Dann one of these days. Any of his Avengers work would be great to sign, good choice there, I'd have to decide between it & some of his Conan stuff. Also awesome to meet a fellow Carolinian.

BatWatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mandman said:

@dagmar_merrill: All three wildly overrated. Rucka and Simone appeal to niche groups and have rabid fans. Ennis is a one hit wonder. Read one of his series, you've read em all. But this is about the underrated ones.

Seriously one name that I don't see enough. Brian Q. Miller. He made me like Stephanie Brown. What was the one thing Smallville Season ten left me wanting? Not more Smallville, he changed my mind. The guy gets maybe one book, and makes it a single bright star. LLu is young. I'm sure she'll get recognition between being a woman and being talented. Reeder is the most underrated artist. She got stuck doing Batwoman for JH Williams, and that put her off of DC. But she's still working so eh. Tim Seeley a year ago would have been on here. Kelly Puckett too and Daimon Scott.

So...I agree that Simone's Batgirl appeals to a niche group. I can't testify to her broader work, but I'm curious about your opinion on Rucka. I put him as one of the most underrated. Maybe I am just part of a niche, but I'm curious if you can identify what it is about his books that I like and exactly what niche that he attracts.

Also, niche doesn't necessarily mean they don't deserve credit. After all, Michael Bay is about as far from niche as possible, but he doesn't deserve to be called one of the greatest filmmakers in my view.

Ostyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

None

Avatar image for deactivated-5a162dd41dd64
deactivated-5a162dd41dd64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 100

User Lists: 6

force_echo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By force_echo

@joygirl said:

Gail Simone, Greg Rucka, Garth Ennis, Paul Dini.

How in the world are Gail Simone, Paul Dini, and Garth Ennis underrated?

force_echo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By force_echo

How is Peter David underrated? Every Hulk fan in existence refers to David's run as "the good old days", back when the comics focused on Hulk's MPD, and his running from the army, and other psychological issues, rather than whatever the f*ck Hulk comics have been about for the last couple years (I gave up on Hulk a while ago). That being said, Joe Fixit sucks.

Avatar image for manwhohaseverything
Manwhohaseverything

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@winter_kills: I agree with much of your list, but I think a part of it many of the writers you mentioned hit their hey-day 30 years ago. Englehart's Detective was stellar, and I'm constantly pimping it on here. Conway...I wonder how many folks know he created The Punisher, Killer Croc and Jason Todd?I met him in Akron..great guy! Nevertheless, hard to ask 20 yr old kids to rate a writer from the 70's and 80's. They probably aren't acquainted with their works. I wonder if you'd put Walt Simonson on the list? Most know he did the "definitive Thor" run, but he's done a lot of other good stuff.

batkevin74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

@testament: All the people who write in the fan fic section