who's the most overrated writer?

zombietag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By zombietag

in my opinion, it's grant morrison. ok let me clear something up, i dont think hes a BAD writer at all. i actually like his stuff. but people treat him like hes the comic book writer god and buy everything he writes  no matter what. idk, hes cool, but hes no where near that type of status for me. 

GrayWolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By GrayWolf

I have to agree with Grant Morrison.  I'd heard he was great but everything I have gotten of his is just "eh."  Never something I rush back to the beginning to read again.  He also doesn't seem to be good at getting the big moments right.  They always seem to be lackluster with no additional effort put in.
Son_of_Magnus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

#3  Edited By Son_of_Magnus

This should be in the Alan Moore section since this is really about him

glforthewin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By glforthewin

warren ellis? the stuff he does is great, but some of it seems a bit rushed (Red, Thunderbolt's "Caged Angels" are what comes to mind)

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By InnerVenom123

Mark Millar. Dude gets a movie deal and he isn't even done writing the comic yet....  

I also dislike him for the "Marvel Knights Spider-man" disaster.....

~The Wanderer~

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#6  Edited By ~The Wanderer~

Geoff Johns.

geraldthesloth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By geraldthesloth

Gail Simone, and Geoff Johns

everyone else noted some of my favorite writers as being overrated, why is this? I can defend each of them as much as possible but I admit to everyone having a bad story.

Son_of_Magnus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Son_of_Magnus
@geraldthesloth said:
" Gail Simone,
Grrrrr
geraldthesloth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By geraldthesloth
@Son_of_Magnus said:
" @geraldthesloth said:
" Gail Simone,
Grrrrr "
She's not that good.
Korg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#10  Edited By Korg

Geoff Johns by a mile.

Son_of_Magnus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Son_of_Magnus

w/e BN is fraggin awesome ya'll just haters on the classic boys

Strafe Prower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 16

#12  Edited By Strafe Prower

Johns and Bendis
Korg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Korg
@Son_of_Magnus said:
"ya'll just haters on the classic boys "
@Son_of_Magnus said:
" This should be in the Alan Moore section since this is really about him "
Hahahaha
Son_of_Magnus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Son_of_Magnus
@Korg: As in characters Geoff haters are pissed Hal and Barry are getting the spot light
Harlekin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#15  Edited By Harlekin
@Son_of_Magnus said:
" @Korg: As in characters Geoff haters are pissed Hal and Barry are getting the spot light "
Geoff haters don't like the fact he solves every prob he comes by with a recon or a cop out.
Korg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Korg
@Son_of_Magnus said:
" @Korg: As in characters Geoff haters are pissed Hal and Barry are getting the spot light "
 I don't care that Hal is getting the spotlight. Hell, I started reading GL with Rebirth, and I don't even read Flash. I just find his stuff (especially BN) to be slow-paced and incredibly predictable.
Son_of_Magnus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Son_of_Magnus
@Korg said:
" @Son_of_Magnus said:
 I don't care that Hal is getting the spotlight. Hell, I started reading GL with Rebirth, and I don't even read Flash. I just find his stuff (especially BN) to be slow-paced and incredibly predictable. "
It is all good you like the ghetto internet slang I used? I am trying it out 

@Harlekin said:
" @Son_of_Magnus said:
Geoff haters don't like the fact he solves every prob he comes by with a recon or a cop out. "

That is te only way to solve most @#$% now a days
PrinceIMC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By PrinceIMC

Chris Claremont. Not so much by the comic buying community but by Marvel. They let him have the X-Men for too long just because he did some good stuff 20 years ago.

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#19  Edited By TheBlueAngel93

I actually don't hear a lot about Grant Morrison. Right now I'd have to say Brian Bendis, I don't hate his writing, I like it a lot, I just think that he shouldn't do some many books, he's got: Ultimate Spider-Man and Enemy, New and Dark Avengers, and Siege, I feel that with so much he's wrtiting, it going to take away from some of the other books. 

Point - Avengers/Siege > Ultimate U

burr787

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#20  Edited By burr787
Mark Millar
  Wanted and Red Son were excellent IMO, but everything else that I've read has been rather boring. Old Man Logan had a boring/cliche' ending along with a predictable plot and I dropped his latest Ult. Avengers after 3 issue. But the one book that I don't understand everyone liking is Kick Ass. I think I understand why writers normally don't ground Superheroes in complete realism, it's because it makes the story extremely boring. I also don't get why it's taking so long for this book to ship each month, the art is okay and the story is mediocre, so what's going on, is the movie the reason for delays? That and Millar is a total whore, the Kick Ass movie is coming out in a couple months but the comic is just finishing this month, Chosen is no where near completion but a movie is already in the works, a Nemesis movie is being talked about but the first issue is no where near coming out, and I'm not even going to talk about Wanted. 

Bendis
 His work in Marvel actually made me a primary DC reader.

Rucka
I loved the Omac project and Checkmate, but Action Comics and Detective Comics have been crap.
Fire-Starter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Fire-Starter
@burr787 said:
" Mark Millar
  Wanted and Red Son were excellent IMO, but everything else that I've read has been rather boring. Old Man Logan had a boring/cliche' ending along with a predictable plot and I dropped his latest Ult. Avengers after 3 issue. But the one book that I don't understand everyone liking is Kick Ass. I think I understand why writers normally don't ground Superheroes in complete realism, it's because it makes the story extremely boring. I also don't get why it's taking so long for this book to ship each month, the art is okay and the story is mediocre, so what's going on, is the movie the reason for delays? That and Millar is a total whore, the Kick Ass movie is coming out in a couple months but the comic is just finishing this month, Chosen is no where near completion but a movie is already in the works, a Nemesis movie is being talked about but the first issue is no where near coming out, and I'm not even going to talk about Wanted. 

Bendis

Rucka I loved the Omac project and Checkmate, but Action Comics and Detective Comics have been crap. "
I agree with Benids.Other two not so much.But i don't read much of Rucka's stuff...Actually only thing from his I've read from him was Gotham Central was a  work of genius.Millar is one of my favorites.Like almost everything he has done.And the reason alot of his stuff is shipping really late is because he has Chrones disease and had to lighten his workload and can't get stuff out as quickly,so don't blame him.And now to some one you didn't mention but everyone else id is Grant Morrison.Only thing i have to say is that he is my favorite writer at the moment and i love all his stuff!And i think that some-one that is very over-rated is Garth Ennis.I like a lot of his Punisher stuff...actually i like all of his Punisher stuff but things like the Boys and Herogasm are stupid IMO.I think they are asily written and i get they are supposed be fun but i find them rather stupid.
burr787

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#22  Edited By burr787

Oh, my bad.

Fire-Starter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Fire-Starter
@burr787 said:
" Oh, my bad. "
Yeah.I was saying the same thing you did until i found that out.I only know about it cuz i had to do a biography on someone and chose him.
danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#24  Edited By danhimself

why do people hate on Geoff Johns for retconing some stuff? he really hasn't retconed anything, just built upon what was already there.  At no point has he said that something never happened.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#25  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator

Brian Michael Bendis 

Fire-Starter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Fire-Starter
@danhimself said:
" why do people hate on Geoff Johns for retconing some stuff? he really hasn't retconed anything, just built upon what was already there.  At no point has he said that something never happened. "
I applaud you!Thanks for being right!
zombietag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By zombietag
@Son_of_Magnus: whatever, alan moores the man. watchmen is amazing and he's so og. maybe people place him too highly sometimes, but the man did a lot for comics. 

@War Killer: COMPLETELY agree about bendis. i think hes a great writer, but hes spread too thin and it shows in some of his titles 

@PrinceIMC: haha sooooo ture
zombietag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By zombietag
@Fire-Starter said:
" @burr787 said:
" Mark Millar

Bendis

Rucka I loved the Omac project and Checkmate, but Action Comics and Detective Comics have been crap. "
I agree with Benids.Other two not so much.But i don't read much of Rucka's stuff...Actually only thing from his I've read from him was Gotham Central was a  work of genius.Millar is one of my favorites.Like almost everything he has done.And the reason alot of his stuff is shipping really late is because he has Chrones disease and had to lighten his workload and can't get stuff out as quickly,so don't blame him.And now to some one you didn't mention but everyone else id is Grant Morrison.Only thing i have to say is that he is my favorite writer at the moment and i love all his stuff!And i think that some-one that is very over-rated is Garth Ennis.I like a lot of his Punisher stuff...actually i like all of his Punisher stuff but things like the Boys and Herogasm are stupid IMO.I think they are asily written and i get they are supposed be fun but i find them rather stupid. "
WORD for comic book writers with digestive health issues! (that would be me.) it actually sucks a lot, but its cool to see someone out there making a lot of good comics and wrestling with simillar things as me.
TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#29  Edited By TheBlueAngel93
@zombietag said:
"@War Killer: COMPLETELY agree about bendis. i think hes a great writer, but hes spread too thin and it shows in some of his titles"
>_> New Avengers
Fire-Starter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Fire-Starter
@zombietag said:
" @Fire-Starter said:
" @burr787 said:
" Mark Millar

Bendis

I agree with Benids.Other two not so much.But i don't read much of Rucka's stuff...Actually only thing from his I've read from him was Gotham Central was a  work of genius.Millar is one of my favorites.Like almost everything he has done.And the reason alot of his stuff is shipping really late is because he has Chrones disease and had to lighten his workload and can't get stuff out as quickly,so don't blame him.And now to some one you didn't mention but everyone else id is Grant Morrison.Only thing i have to say is that he is my favorite writer at the moment and i love all his stuff!And i think that some-one that is very over-rated is Garth Ennis.I like a lot of his Punisher stuff...actually i like all of his Punisher stuff but things like the Boys and Herogasm are stupid IMO.I think they are asily written and i get they are supposed be fun but i find them rather stupid. "
WORD for comic book writers with digestive health issues! (that would be me.) it actually sucks a lot, but its cool to see someone out there making a lot of good comics and wrestling with simillar things as me. "
Cool.I'm glad i could help you find someone like yourself that just happens to be a kick-ass writer!
inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

#31  Edited By inferiorego  Staff

By the stuff they're doing in the past few years: Claremont and Frank Miller. 

Fire-Starter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Fire-Starter
@inferiorego said:
" By the stuff they're doing in the past few years: Claremont and Frank Miller.  "
I agree with this statement.
zombietag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By zombietag
@Fire-Starter: oh i already knew haha
Fire-Starter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Fire-Starter
@zombietag said:
" @Fire-Starter: oh i already knew haha "
LOL.Okay.
geraldthesloth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By geraldthesloth
@danhimself said:
" why do people hate on Geoff Johns for retconing some stuff? he really hasn't retconed anything, just built upon what was already there.  At no point has he said that something never happened. "
No, I hate him for his wankery of the Silver Age.
geraldthesloth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By geraldthesloth
@inferiorego said:
" By the stuff they're doing in the past few years: Claremont and Frank Miller.  "
internet high five!
ahumancartoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By ahumancartoon

Grant Morrison by a mile!

geraldthesloth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By geraldthesloth
@ahumancartoon said:
" Grant Morrison by a mile! "
Nope.
inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

#39  Edited By inferiorego  Staff
@danhimself said:
I got into a discussion with a couple of friends with this tonight. My viewpoint: He improved the GLU vastly with his supposed "retcons."  
If that book stayed the same, and nothing ever evolved, it would still be the same boring stories from the silver age, and I love those stories, but they just don't work today.
danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By danhimself
@inferiorego said:

" @danhimself said:

I got into a discussion with a couple of friends with this tonight. My viewpoint: He improved the GLU vastly with his supposed "retcons."  If that book stayed the same, and nothing ever evolved, it would still be the same boring stories from the silver age, and I love those stories, but they just don't work today. "
I agree...I didn't start reading GL until Rebirth but I went back and read a lot of the older stuff to get caught up and it doesn't hold a candle to what Johns has done with book...he's pretty much the reason I'm reading DC at all....I started with his run on the Teen Titans and moved out from there...he improves upon every character he writes
John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#41  Edited By John Valentine
  • Alan Moore
  • Warren Ellis 
  • Bendis
John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By John Valentine
@danhimself said:
" @inferiorego said:

" @danhimself said:

I got into a discussion with a couple of friends with this tonight. My viewpoint: He improved the GLU vastly with his supposed "retcons."  If that book stayed the same, and nothing ever evolved, it would still be the same boring stories from the silver age, and I love those stories, but they just don't work today. "
I agree...I didn't start reading GL until Rebirth but I went back and read a lot of the older stuff to get caught up and it doesn't hold a candle to what Johns has done with book...he's pretty much the reason I'm reading DC at all....I started with his run on the Teen Titans and moved out from there...he improves upon every character he writes "
I thought Teen Titans was pretty average.... he's definitely improved as a writer. 
~The Wanderer~

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#43  Edited By ~The Wanderer~
@~The Wanderer~ said:

" Geoff Johns. "

I'll elaborate on this. I like Johns's writing most of the time. I don't have have any complaints over Sinestro Corps War, Blackest Night, Superman: Brainiac, Superman: Last Son, and for the most part, New Krypton.
What I do have a problem with, is his unheathy obsession over the Silver Age ( read AtPhantom's rant for more details), pre-Adventure-Comics-#5 Superboy-Prime, and his inability to write the Legion of Super-Heroes correctly.
It is not acceptable to write a Legion story arc only to make Superman and/or Superboy-Prime shine, especially when the rest of the Legion wasn't that well handled. Also, I believe it was a major a$$pull and research failure to have the "Threeboot" Legion be retroactively placed on Earth-Prime, a move not quite supported by, oh I don't know, the actual comics where they appeared. For these reasons and others, I have a hard time to reread Legion of Three Worlds and not cringe while doing so. (I admit that there were some good moments in Lo3W though, but I believe those were outweighed by the bad ones.)
Ultimately (though this might just be nitpicking on my part), I don't like how DC handles Superman's origin. Yes, Superman: Secret Origins has been good so far, but I'd take Superman: Birthright over it anyday, as it makes more sense and is less Silver Age-influenced.
Conclusion: While Geoff Johns can be a great writer, he's not far from the flawless writer that some paint him to be.
ahumancartoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By ahumancartoon
@geraldthesloth said:
" @ahumancartoon said:
" Grant Morrison by a mile! "
Nope. "

Uh Yep!
Harlekin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#45  Edited By Harlekin
@Son_of_Magnus said:

@Harlekin said:

" @Son_of_Magnus said:
Geoff haters don't like the fact he solves every prob he comes by with a recon or a cop out. "
That is te only way to solve most @#$% now a days "
But its not the only way to fix stuff. Everything he "fix" could of been natural but he always decides to go fan fic on everything.

I put my vote in for Garth Ennis.
zombietag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By zombietag

you guys really think alan moore is overrated? i mean i know people think hes super amazing, but its hard for me to feel like hes overrated

Avatar image for squiresmadnessmachine
squiresmadnessmachine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

grant frakin morrison that guy makes a mess of everything he does batman lost in time?? 
wasnt captain america lost in time? and didnt bucky become cap before dick grayson was batman?? 
this guy is way over rated! 

all hail geaoff johns!!! 
all hail robert kirkman!! 
all hail ed brubaker!
danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By danhimself
@John Valentine said:
" @danhimself said:
" @inferiorego said:

" @danhimself said:

I agree...I didn't start reading GL until Rebirth but I went back and read a lot of the older stuff to get caught up and it doesn't hold a candle to what Johns has done with book...he's pretty much the reason I'm reading DC at all....I started with his run on the Teen Titans and moved out from there...he improves upon every character he writes "
I thought Teen Titans was pretty average.... he's definitely improved as a writer.  "
It was still the best Teen Titans has been since Marv Wolfman
John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By John Valentine
@squiresmadnessmachine said:
" grant frakin morrison that guy makes a mess of everything he does batman lost in time?? wasnt captain america lost in time? and didnt bucky become cap before dick grayson was batman?? this guy is way over rated!  all hail geaoff johns!!! all hail robert kirkman!! all hail ed brubaker! "
Cap was frozen. Bruce has been replaced before in dozens of alternate futures by various characters/ the Bat-mantle has been worn by so many other DC characters. Dick himself took up the mantle once before during Knightfall (I think).   

Oh, and Geoff Johns has admitted that Morrison is his idol....

Let's take a look at what Morrison has written: 
  • Animal Man.
  • Doom Patrol.
  • Arkham Asylum.
  • Batman.
  • Batman and Robin.
  • All-Star Superman.
  • Justice League / JLA:Earth 2.
  • Final Crisis. 
  • Vertigo Stuff - Invisibles included. 
  • Marvel Boy.
  • New X-Men.
  • Wildstorm Stuff.
  • 2000 AD Stuff.
  • British Publisher Stuff.

So... everything on that list is rubbish? 
John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By John Valentine
@danhimself said:
It was still the best Teen Titans has been since Marv Wolfman "
I would not like Teen Titans, then.