• 200 results
#1 Posted by NerdsFTW (3732 posts) - - Show Bio

Explain...now.

#2 Posted by AweSam (7115 posts) - - Show Bio

Superman

#3 Posted by Jotham (4564 posts) - - Show Bio

The Hulk's defining characteristic is being the strongest, so...

#4 Posted by MB25 (333 posts) - - Show Bio

Supes solos

#5 Posted by Malevolent1 (1072 posts) - - Show Bio

Thor was originally designed to be the strongest. Under Stan Lee's watch, in Defenders #10, Thor and Hulk are clearly indicated as equal in strength. Under DeFalco, he felt Hulk should be stronger. Today? Not sure what Marvel's stance is.

#6 Posted by sagejonathan (1649 posts) - - Show Bio

Thor used to be stronger I believe or at least equal. Now they make Hulk better.

#7 Posted by Vance Astro (90727 posts) - - Show Bio
@Malevolent1 said:
Thor was originally designed to be the strongest. Under Stan Lee's watch, in Defenders #10, Thor and Hulk are clearly indicated as equal in strength. Under DeFalco, he felt Hulk should be stronger. Today? Not sure what Marvel's stance is.
I don't think they ever wanted you to know who was stronger.

@NerdsFTW said:

@AweSam said:

Superman

@MB25 said:

Supes solos

Quit trolling..
#8 Posted by SC (11979 posts) - - Show Bio
@Malevolent1 said:

I don't think Marvel has ever had a stance. Even with Stan Lee, and his opinion to me at least carries more weight than any one else's by virtue of him creating both characters, he recognized it as his opinion. Sort of that writer discretion that other creators are going to use these characters and so the story being good is first and foremost over any character attribute being fixed.  

I sort of like the ambiguity. I sort of like that writers opinions differ. Its basically a message to certain fans that no matter how much they may want or believe or insist a character is stronger than another character, ultimately its just a character and not real. Imaginary things don't have fixed attributes that can not be changed. That being said if I was to write an in continuity story I would write Thor as being stronger in my head, but that doesn't mean that my story would necessary reflect that. In fact I might even try to make it ambiguous. I love Thor and the Hulk though and so both I would try to make look really impressive strength wise. Too often the question of who is stronger is asked by fans with agendas who favor one character more than the other and seek vindication in their belief by seeing one character look worse than the other, but as a fan of both (and I remember you are as well so I am including you and many of the Thor and Hulk fans in this with us)  I don't want any stories that make Hulk or Thor look weak.     
#9 Posted by guttridgeb (4831 posts) - - Show Bio

At base strength, Thor is stronger. When Hulk gets angry enough, he is stronger.

#10 Posted by AweSam (7115 posts) - - Show Bio

@Vance Astro said:

@NerdsFTW said:

@AweSam said:

Superman

@MB25 said:

Supes solos

Quit trolling..

No.

#11 Posted by Onemoreposter (3572 posts) - - Show Bio

@NerdsFTW: @guttridgeb said:

At base strength, Thor is stronger. When Hulk gets angry enough, he is stronger.

This is about my understanding of it.

#12 Posted by Luster77 (137 posts) - - Show Bio

Hey, if Stan "The Man" Lee were to tell you his opinion of the characters he created. He'd say this one thing: "Hulk strongest there is!!!!" I don't take anything away from Thor, albeit, you have to write stories where they both prove their awesomeness through sheer feats of power. Thor battling several gods at a time or Hulk holding a planet together. My thoughts.

#13 Posted by Twentyfive (2405 posts) - - Show Bio

Screw all that. Thor is stronger!!!

FOR MIDGARD!!!!!!

Verily, the Odinson dost claim the title of "Strongest" for his own.

#14 Posted by Vance Astro (90727 posts) - - Show Bio
@AweSam said:

No.

You wanna get banned?
#15 Posted by AweSam (7115 posts) - - Show Bio

@Vance Astro said:

@AweSam said:

No.

You wanna get banned?

Do you?

#16 Posted by _slim_ (13028 posts) - - Show Bio

@AweSam said:

@Vance Astro said:

@AweSam said:

No.

You wanna get banned?

Do you?

LOL... I had to get that out.. please don't ban me. :(

#17 Posted by Vance Astro (90727 posts) - - Show Bio
@AweSam said:

Do you?

I'm not joking.
#18 Posted by johnkmccubbin91 (3481 posts) - - Show Bio

Hulk is stronger than Thor physically but not necessaries better as Thor has his hammer

#19 Posted by Z3RO180 (5946 posts) - - Show Bio

@guttridgeb said:

yep pretty much this

#20 Posted by jeanroygrant (20191 posts) - - Show Bio

Thor is stronger by feats.

#21 Posted by Malevolent1 (1072 posts) - - Show Bio

@SC said:

@Malevolent1 said:
I don't think Marvel has ever had a stance. Even with Stan Lee, and his opinion to me at least carries more weight than any one else's by virtue of him creating both characters, he recognized it as his opinion. Sort of that writer discretion that other creators are going to use these characters and so the story being good is first and foremost over any character attribute being fixed. I sort of like the ambiguity. I sort of like that writers opinions differ. Its basically a message to certain fans that no matter how much they may want or believe or insist a character is stronger than another character, ultimately its just a character and not real. Imaginary things don't have fixed attributes that can not be changed. That being said if I was to write an in continuity story I would write Thor as being stronger in my head, but that doesn't mean that my story would necessary reflect that. In fact I might even try to make it ambiguous. I love Thor and the Hulk though and so both I would try to make look really impressive strength wise. Too often the question of who is stronger is asked by fans with agendas who favor one character more than the other and seek vindication in their belief by seeing one character look worse than the other, but as a fan of both (and I remember you are as well so I am including you and many of the Thor and Hulk fans in this with us) I don't want any stories that make Hulk or Thor look weak.

Mmmmm....yeah. Different EIC's have expressed different opinions about both Thor and the Hulk and therefore, at least to me, is representative of a stance, or a philosophy on the subject. I get my information from Stan Lee's, Origins of Marvel Comics, also, a nice tidbit about Thor in Stan's Bring on The Bad Guys regarding Thor/Hulk fights (under the Abomination prologue). And believe me, other writers throughout the decades have expressed a stance on the matter. Kieron Gillen a few years ago indicated in so many words, Thor's level of power in relation to the Sentry (back before the Siege event). Kevin Grievioux's sentiments regarding Thor and the Hulk and specifically, who is stronger, echoes my own sentiments; he even cites Defenders 10. And DeFalco's view I took out of the giant size Marvel encyclopedia on the Incredible Hulk. He was the EIC after Shoooter (I believe) and his stance was that Hulk was definitely stronger than Thor, when he was angry enough. Having said all that, Marvel these days, may very well not have a stance. But such was not the case from the beginning.

I do agree that Marvel has milked this age old question for decades and usually, when the two face each other down, it usually is the basis for discussion on comic sites everywhere. I also agree with you too: Marvel should be a little more creative sometimes when these two face off against one another.

#22 Posted by SC (11979 posts) - - Show Bio
@Malevolent1 said:

Mmmmm....yeah. Different EIC's have expressed different opinions about both Thor and the Hulk and therefore, at least to me, is representative of a stance, or a philosophy on the subject. I get my information from Stan Lee's, Origins of Marvel Comics, also, a nice tidbit about Thor in Stan's Bring on The Bad Guys regarding Thor/Hulk fights (under the Abomination prologue). And believe me, other writers throughout the decades have expressed a stance on the matter. Kieron Gillen a few years ago indicated in so many words, Thor's level of power in relation to the Sentry (back before the Siege event). Kevin Grievioux's sentiments regarding Thor and the Hulk and specifically, who is stronger, echoes my own sentiments; he even cites Defenders 10. And DeFalco's view I took out of the giant size Marvel encyclopedia on the Incredible Hulk. He was the EIC after Shoooter (I believe) and his stance was that Hulk was definitely stronger than Thor, when he was angry enough. Having said all that, Marvel these days, may very well not have a stance. But such was not the case from the beginning.

I do agree that Marvel has milked this age old question for decades and usually, when the two face each other down, it usually is the basis for discussion on comic sites everywhere. I also agree with you too: Marvel should be a little more creative sometimes when these two face off against one another.

Representative of a stance sure, but EIC's I doubt view characters as fixed. Only the most stubborn fans do that. The philosophy goes with what will sell and what will be a good story, over their personal views and opinions. I have Origins of Marvel Comics reference  **smile** I am aware of many writers stances. Oh thats interesting about Kieron Gillen, do you have a source or quote? I am interested in what he said? I am aware of Kevin Grievioux, and DeFalco.  

Again I just have to disagree on the idea that this was not the case from the beginning, if Stan Lee himself takes the question and answers in a subjective fashion why would it be an objective stance or policy that Marvel is supposed to hold? It doesn't devalue Stan Lee's opinion I think, really it should lend greater weight to him given that he is all to aware the these are fictional characters.  
#23 Posted by SupahForeigner (227 posts) - - Show Bio

I would of thought it was Hulk, I swear I read somewhere that Hulk has unlimited strength, it is only determined by how angry he is. So in other words the angrier Hulk gets the stronger he becomes? While Thor has a constant amount of strength and can't increase it? Chances are I'm wrong but hey-ho, that's my two cents.

#24 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (27591 posts) - - Show Bio

I always think Hulk should be stronger but Thor should be more powerful

#25 Posted by TDK_1997 (13737 posts) - - Show Bio

Hulk should be stronger but Thor is more powerful.

#26 Posted by TheAcidSkull (15984 posts) - - Show Bio

When it comes to physicall means , hulk has more raw brute strength, but thor is more powerful due to his hammer

#27 Posted by Z3RO180 (5946 posts) - - Show Bio

@NerdsFTW: stop playing dumb maj you know what it means time to drop this i dount know anything about comics act

#28 Posted by NerdsFTW (3732 posts) - - Show Bio

@Z3RO180: What?

#29 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (27591 posts) - - Show Bio
@NerdsFTW: It means nothing, so what if Thor was created to be stronger, Wolverine was created to be an actual mutated talking wolverine, some things just dont pan out
#30 Edited by Vance Astro (90727 posts) - - Show Bio
@NerdsFTW said:

@Vance Astro: @SC: So it depends on the writer?

because if it up to me, Thor would be written as stronger. But other writers might have Hulk be stronger, and Thor as more powerful.

Well this is the thing. I think originally Thor was only class 90 with no potential for natural growth. Hulk, I believe was either class 50 or class 70 with the ability to get to class 100 through anger. Marvel once released a "Strength Chart" in one of their comics that showed the hierarchy of strength in the Marvel Universe. The top class of the chart was the "Super Heavyweight class", at that time Hulk was the strongest, followed by Thor, Hercules, Wonder Man, Iron Man. Now with how far power levels and strength classes have reached, it's almost impossible to calculate or pinpoint how strong any of these character are at this point so they leave it open ended. In battle forums, matching up feats is how we determine who will win a fight, but I think it's different when writing comics because even those feats offer no closure most times. We just assume the character we claim is weaker can't duplicate the feats because they've never done it.
#31 Posted by TrainMe (15 posts) - - Show Bio

come on raw strength Hulk. with out it he is nothing! don't take that away from hulk

#32 Posted by Vance Astro (90727 posts) - - Show Bio
@NerdsFTW said:

@Vance Astro:The way I see it, is that hulk hasn't shown upper limits yet, but he's still been manhandled by Rulk, but that could be to Jeph Loeb.

How strong a certain character depends on how they are written. And even if written to be in marvel's top heavy hitters, it's difficult to quantify when Thor and Hulk have different types of strength feats.

I think Jeph Loeb just realized what her writers never realized about She-Hulk. If you want two similar characters to share the fame, you have to make their abilities comparable in some way. I never seen Ross manhandle Hulk but I have seen him dominate fights with Hulk and I assume it's because Ross doesn't lose his intellect as a Hulk and being a man of the military he's well trained. I don't think how strong a character is depends on how they are written. I think Marvel doesn't want you to know exactly how strong class 100 characters are and that's why they stop their strength class at 100+, because they don't want to limit writers and what they can do with the super strength ability itself. 
#33 Posted by KateKane (5 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd say Hulk, but probably not by much.

#34 Posted by Vance Astro (90727 posts) - - Show Bio
@NerdsFTW said:

@Vance Astro: Interesting, I always thought the 100 ton to limitless range thing was outdated, and that marvel needs to have some standard when addressing how strong a certain character is. Who is who's strength class, it's obvious that Hulk and Thor go neck and neck, and few characters are in their strength range(Gladiator, Hercules,etc). But it fluctuates, one day Thor can be lifting the Midgard Serpent, and the next day he can overpowered by hulk and taken out in one shot.

If who's stronger constantly changes due to different writers, is it really possible to say one is stronger than the other?

Alot of people think that but Marvel the first Marvel Handbooks that gave class ratings, listed characters at "Class 100" who had already lifted far over that. It was never a perfect representation of their strength it's just a general estimation. I don't know how to explain the Midgard Serpent feat in relation to Thor's fights with the Hulk. There could be a number of reasons why those showings don't match. I think ALL class 100's are in the same range. Hulk is clearly stronger than Wonder Man,Iron Man,The Thing,and She-Hulk but we've seen them all pose a physical match for different versions of Hulk. I think the only class 100's that aren't comparable to superheroes and villains that are in that line of classification are skyfathers and certain cosmic level characters. 
#35 Posted by samuel_larson_10 (283 posts) - - Show Bio

hulk has to enter world breaker to destroy a planet usually, thor can do that without a powerup... So short answer Thor, long answer Thor with a BUT

#36 Posted by Malevolent1 (1072 posts) - - Show Bio

@NerdsFTW said:

@TheAcidSkull said:

When it comes to physicall means , hulk has more raw brute strength, but thor is more powerful due to his hammer

Agreed.

@Jonny_Anonymous: @Vance Astro: @Z3RO180: @johnkmccubbin91: @_slim_:

Then what does this mean?

This for the win. I just don't know how it gets any plainer. Thor was created by Stan Lee to be Marvel's top dog. In every way. However, it was while Stan was EIC at Marvel that Defenders 10 was written. Hence, my personal view, as the characters were originally shown to be in continuity...are equal in strength when the Hulk is enraged.

On the other hand, not to get to far off topic, the Surfer is more powerful than either in terms of appraising what they have done, and demonstrated they are capable of doing, on panel.

#37 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (27591 posts) - - Show Bio
@Malevolent1 said:

@NerdsFTW said:

@TheAcidSkull said:

Agreed.

This for the win. I just don't know how it gets any plainer. Thor was created by Stan Lee to be Marvel's top dog. In every way. However, it was while Stan was EIC at Marvel that Defenders 10 was written. Hence, my personal view, as the characters were originally shown to be in continuity...are equal in strength when the Hulk is enraged.

On the other hand, not to get to far off topic, the Surfer is more powerful than either in terms of appraising what they have done, and demonstrated they are capable of doing, on panel.

Well like I said before, Wolverine was created to be an actual mutated talking wolverine so just because ea character was intended to be something doesn't mean thats how it paned out 
#38 Posted by Malevolent1 (1072 posts) - - Show Bio

@Vance Astro said:

@NerdsFTW said:

@Vance Astro: @SC: So it depends on the writer?

because if it up to me, Thor would be written as stronger. But other writers might have Hulk be stronger, and Thor as more powerful.

Well this is the thing. I think originally Thor was only class 90 with no potential for natural growth. Hulk, I believe was either class 50 or class 70 with the ability to get to class 100 through anger. Marvel once released a "Strength Chart" in one of their comics that showed the hierarchy of strength in the Marvel Universe. The top class of the chart was the "Super Heavyweight class", at that time Hulk was the strongest, followed by Thor, Hercules, Wonder Man, Iron Man. Now with how far power levels and strength classes have reached, it's almost impossible to calculate or pinpoint how strong any of these character are at this point so they leave it open ended. In battle forums, matching up feats is how we determine who will win a fight, but I think it's different when writing comics because even those feats offer no closure most times. We just assume the character we claim is weaker can't duplicate the feats because they've never done it.

Yeah, the Handbooks suck eggs. Absolutely horrific. One handbook lists Thor as "class 95", while another places him in the "class 100" range. At the back of the book, there is a reference indicating that any character placed in this category can lift at least 100 tons. They are terrifically misleading. I hear comments like, "yeah, Thor is maybe class 120 or 130. Really? Thor's more abstract strength feats like lifting the world serpent or cranking the lever to the world tree are difficult to discern, granted, kind of like some of the Surfer or Flash's speed feats. Some are a little abstract, what I call "WTF?" feats that are difficult to evaluate but are all indicative of great speed, or in the case of Thor, great strength. His more concrete feats are ripping adamantium cables with his bare hands and stalemating an enraged Hulk for a whole hour, all the while his strength growing.

#39 Posted by NerdsFTW (3732 posts) - - Show Bio

@Vance Astro said:

comparable to superheroes and villains that are in that line of classification are skyfathers and certain cosmic level characters.

And reality warpers.

@TrainMe said:

come on raw strength Hulk. with out it he is nothing! don't take that away from hulk

LMAO.

#40 Posted by lanebad6 (111 posts) - - Show Bio

This is a hard question, stan said that he wanted to make someone who was "bigger, better, and stronger"

@Malevolent1 said:

@NerdsFTW said:

@TheAcidSkull said:

Agreed.

This video is really valid to this debate because it has proof from stan lee that thor should be stronger, although not everything that stan lee says always passes. Its from the big man so to me thats should be the complete answer to this thread.

#41 Posted by Malevolent1 (1072 posts) - - Show Bio

@Jonny_Anonymous said:

@Malevolent1 said:

@NerdsFTW said:

@TheAcidSkull said:

Agreed.

Well like I said before, Wolverine was created to be an actual mutated talking wolverine so just because ea character was intended to be something doesn't mean thats how it paned out

Yes. I agree entirely with you. I think I mentioned earlier that where Thor is in strength today, is debatable. There is nothing to suggest that he is not what he was in his classic years. Technically. Stan Lee and Jim Shooter had a certain view of the Thunder God. DeFalco? Slightly different. Quesada? I think Quesada could give two s*^% about the subject...he did allow Thor an ignominious defeat at the hands of Superman on '03, if that is an indicator of his view. Eh, Quesada is a street level guy anyway. He thinks the ultra powerful ubers are ridiculous anyway. I will say, that I think Marvel has heard the complaints of Marvel fans regarding Thor and seem to have responded on occasion. The Sentry had been built up to be Marvel's Superman. Thor disposed of him in Siege. Although, many feel the Sentry, in essence, committed suicide, 'allowing' Thor to kill him. His destruction of Glory, should have been noteworthy.

On a slightly different note: Stan Lee strikes me as a bit of a passive aggressive personality. He may have very strong opinions about the character he created. But he also strikes me as the type to backdown from a question that could possibly result in negative confrontation. Just my take. Maybe I'm wrong. Did he intend Thor to be the strongest, most powerful superhero in all of Marvel comics? Personally, I think so. I do think that maybe he said at some point, "Well, if Thor is actually stronger than Hulk, not only could it piss off Hulk fans (who incidentally are a larger group of fans), but it could make the Hulk somewhat irrelevant. Remember: it was while Stan was EIC that Hulk went from someone who was very strong, to someone who's strength grew as he became angrier. Stan was also a good businessman and milked the question, even to this day.

Just my opinion.

#42 Posted by Vance Astro (90727 posts) - - Show Bio
@Malevolent1 said:

Yeah, the Handbooks suck eggs. Absolutely horrific. One handbook lists Thor as "class 95", while another places him in the "class 100" range. At the back of the book, there is a reference indicating that any character placed in this category can lift at least 100 tons. They are terrifically misleading. I hear comments like, "yeah, Thor is maybe class 120 or 130. Really? Thor's more abstract strength feats like lifting the world serpent or cranking the lever to the world tree are difficult to discern, granted, kind of like some of the Surfer or Flash's speed feats. Some are a little abstract, what I call "WTF?" feats that are difficult to evaluate but are all indicative of great speed, or in the case of Thor, great strength. His more concrete feats are ripping adamantium cables with his bare hands and stalemating an enraged Hulk for a whole hour, all the while his strength growing.

Thor WAS class 95 before. He was placed at class 100 in updates because his strength had increased. There is no class above 100. The point of strength classes was ALWAYS a rough estimate, it was never to tell you EXACTLY how strong a character was. There was never a class 100 character that could ONLY lift 100 tons. 
#43 Posted by Vance Astro (90727 posts) - - Show Bio
@NerdsFTW said:

And reality warpers.

I don't know of any class 100 reality warpers that aren't cosmic entities.
#44 Posted by Mega_spidey01 (3078 posts) - - Show Bio

i say hulk because he has unlimited anger, but it could be a toss up.

#45 Posted by Malevolent1 (1072 posts) - - Show Bio

@Vance Astro said:

@Malevolent1 said:

Thor WAS class 95 before. He was placed at class 100 in updates because his strength had increased. There is no class above 100. The point of strength classes was ALWAYS a rough estimate, it was never to tell you EXACTLY how strong a character was. There was never a class 100 character that could ONLY lift 100 tons.

Right. I understand that.

#46 Posted by lanebad6 (111 posts) - - Show Bio

@Mega_spidey01 said:

i say hulk because he has unlimited anger, but it could be a toss up.

I agree, it has always been a toss up with these two. I think im going to call it a tie, I guess.

#47 Posted by venomoushatred1001 (12334 posts) - - Show Bio

@guttridgeb said:

#48 Posted by Brazen_Intellect (1120 posts) - - Show Bio

Depends on who is writing them and what book it takes place in

#49 Posted by SC (11979 posts) - - Show Bio
@NerdsFTW said:

@SC: So it depends on the writer?

It depends on the writers, it depends on the editors and it depends on the readers and fans. It can depend on a lot of different things. When the two characters were created, comics were in large part more orientated towards children. As one can see when watching kids cartoons, consistency isn't considered a huge factor as far as contributing towards enjoyment factors. Even today consistency isn't really that valued comparatively. You have two fictional characters, you even have one fictional character, and their consistency won't be perfect. Stan Lee wrote Brice Banner as David Banner in one Hulk issue ages ago. Basically this means any character's actions are going to be prone to fluctuation. Even if you have characters perform objective, concrete examples of strength, because the character is fictional such things aren't the be all to end all. For creative reasons and potentially even in story reasons.  

Frank Miller once said that fans make their own continuity and this is true in many ways. Some posters in this thread has referred to Stan Lee's original intent to have Thor be stronger than Hulk. Another has used Wolverine as an example that things change. Though one could point out that was in development as well as other things like Wolverine being a young  teen and Wolverine having gloves with three claws. Except Stan Lee actually wrote Thor for a few years, Wolverine wasn't a mutated animal, or teen or glove claw wearing character in the comics. Modern writers don't think of Wolverine that way where many modern Marvel writers consider Thor like Stan Lee, but therein lies a posters/fans discretion.        

I think it was 20 years after Hulk was introduced that a writer tried to implement the Hulk has no limits to his strength rule of thumb. Except in many ways thats more impressive sounding than it actually is. All things can increase their strength, if not naturally then artificially. Anything that increases or decreases also has to factor in time/measurement which is significant because having the potential for something (say strength) is outrageously, incredibly different from having that thing (strength) or having it rapidly. Complicating matters is that Marvel and DC isn't trying to sell facts, they are trying to sell stories. There is value for them having multitude of characters having incalculable strength levels.   
#50 Posted by TheCannon (16096 posts) - - Show Bio

Hulk. He's lifted a 400 Billion ton mountain.