Who would be better for humanity, Superman or Lex Luthor?

Dextersinister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

You are given the choice to bring either pre-52 Superman or Lex Luthor into existence. Who do you think would be a bigger boon to humanity in the long run? This has probably been done before

Superman will never break his moral code and go Plutonian.

Lex Luthor will never be at his most vile, think Final Crisis.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

McDerpyson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By McDerpyson

Superman. He represents what man could be if they strive for a better tomorrow (Embraces the qualities that allow entire civilizations to flourish such as courage, liberty, selflessness, etc.), while Lex represents the qualities that do not fare well in the long run such as selfishness, complacency, "greater good" (which usually does more harm than good), apathy, etc. These traits might (And I use the word might loosely) be fine for the individual, but not so much societies/civilizations (Which is really bad when the Lex's of the world try and/or do get into positions of influence).

Mega_spidey01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Superman. He represents what man could be if they strive for a better tomorrow (Embraces the qualities that allow entire civilizations to flourish such as courage, liberty, selflessness, etc.) while Lex represents the qualities that do not fare well in the long run such as selfishness, complacency, "greater good" (which usually does more harm than good), apathy, etc. These traits might be fine for an individual, but not so much societies/civilizations (Which is really bad when the Lex's of the world try or/and do get into positions of influence).

Avatar image for ultrastarkiller
ULTRAstarkiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#4  Edited By ULTRAstarkiller

Hmmm good question....I'll be back later hmmmmm

reactor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

An idealistic, benevolent guardian or a brutal, sociopathic megalomaniac... hmm....

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

Superman. The only advantage I can think of for Lex is him pulling a "Red Son" and making humans nearly immortal/curing all illnesses. Then again, with the Fortress...Superman could probably achieve that too.

batmannflash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 30

Superman

JeanRalphio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd rather Luthor,he is Human. Clark will never be us,he can sympathize with us but not empathize with us,while we are being shot,burned,drowned and just dying,he'll be atop his perch ABOVE humanity.

Bogey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lex Luthor was a orange lantern.. Definitely not a person you'd count on to aid humanity.

Zijuun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Zijuun

@mcderpyson said:

Superman. He represents what man could be if they strive for a better tomorrow (Embraces the qualities that allow entire civilizations to flourish such as courage, liberty, selflessness, etc.) while Lex represents the qualities that do not fare well in the long run such as selfishness, complacency, "greater good" (which usually does more harm than good), apathy, etc. These traits might be fine for an individual, but not so much societies/civilizations (Which is really bad when the Lex's of the world try or/and do get into positions of influence).

bgibs13390

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I could see Lex being great for humanity just because his ego would push him to be but overall Superman is better.

RetconCrisis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The reason Lex hates Superman is because he sees him as a threat to humanity. He hates how human's greatest idol is something not even human. He probably would be much less cynical without Supes.

But I'd still take Superman, since he's incorruptibly good.

the_red_viper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 the_red_viper  Moderator

To be honest, Superman is an extraterrestrial-threat-magnet. And I've always seen Lex as a very human character. So I'd vote Lex. It's very concievable he could find a cure for cancer or something.

Eh, f*ck it. Of course I'll pick Superman.

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't think Lex would be nearly as helpful towards mankind unless Superman was around. It's because of Superman that Lex set out to do all these "humane" things (when he's trying to be good)

Superman all the way.

Mega_spidey01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Mega_spidey01

Superman for me. because he is hope for humans like we can be better. Lex Luthor is a crazy billionaire who cares about no one but himself.

MonsterStomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Superman.

BlackLegRaph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Superman, but I think that with a few attitude changes, Lex may be even better in more practical matters than idealistic.

deaditegonzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is obvious, or seems like it. Sure, its always been said Lex would do great things for Humanity, but Superman would do great things for humanity REGARDLESS of circumstance. SUPERMAN

juiceboks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 juiceboks  Moderator

This also begs several questions, what would Superman actually do if he resided in our world? There's no doubt he would strive to do good, but what good is there to be done? Would he bring relief to 3rd countries by dropping food like U.N is doing for the Philippines? Would he end any and all wars by just appearing on the battlefields so that needless largescale bloodshed would be curtailed worldwide? Would he keep the Clark Kent persona alongside being Superman and work within the government to make things right? Would the world even accept being completely helpless against a being who could easily destroy us all with but a thought? In theory, it would be amazing if Superman to be real. But are we really ready for someone like him?

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

This also begs several questions, what would Superman actually do if he resided in our world? There's no doubt he would strive to do good, but what good is there to be done? Would he bring relief to 3rd countries by dropping food like U.N is doing for the Philippines? Would he end any and all wars by just appearing on the battlefields so that needless largescale bloodshed would be curtailed worldwide? Would he keep the Clark Kent persona alongside being Superman and work within the government to make things right? Would the world even accept being completely helpless against a being who could easily destroy us all with but a thought? In theory, it would be amazing if Superman to be real. But are we really ready for someone like him?

Look at you, sounding all philosophical and sh%t.

deaditegonzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"Comicvine User Juiceboks writes synopsis for Man of Steel retail packaging"

JMG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By JMG

I think Superman himself said something along the lines of Lex could change the planet if he wasn't so selfish (paraphrasing.) So theoretically, if supes wasn't around, and that had some kind of butterfly effect on Lex, he might have had an experience happen to him that helped him learn empathy and being less selfish and going on to cure all illnesses and world hunger and all that good shit.

But realistically speaking if Superman were real I highly doubt there would be any crime because he could stop all of it in like 30 minutes. If there were any wars he would just stand between the two armies and catch all the bullets and force them to have a peace treaty. Plus I read a comic where Superman said he was way smarter than bruce wayne but didn't want to tell him that because it would shatter his confidence. Superman could potentially create cures as well.

So pretty much Super man lol. I tried to give arguments for both.

juiceboks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 juiceboks  Moderator
CuddleBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

dont be a bendedict arnold people. lex luthor 2016!

deaditegonzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hey, if the question was, "Would you rather have the last two American presidents in power or Lex Luthor," id say Lex any day of the week!

CuddleBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cuddlebear said:

Hey, if the question was, "Would you rather have the last two American presidents in power or Lex Luthor," id say Lex any day of the week!

stop it! stop making me fall in love with you!

Avatar image for wishiwassuperman
WIshIWasSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@jmg said:

I think Superman himself said something along the lines of Lex could change the planet if he wasn't so selfish (paraphrasing.) So theoretically, if supes wasn't around, and that had some kind of butterfly effect on Lex, he might have had an experience happen to him that helped him learn empathy and being less selfish and going on to cure all illnesses and world hunger and all that good shit.

That's in All-Star Superman. However he's pointing out that Superman was just his excuse for NOT doing anything he was actually capable of. In other words, Lex would inherently NOT be mankind's saviour despite having the capability, because he is inherently selfish and doesn't genuinely want to. If there was Lex and no Superman, he would just find a different excuse. While Superman is a picture of all the best parts of humanity, Lex is a picture of all the worst parts. Our selfishness, our greed, our hunger for power and control, our ability to blame shift, etc... No way would a real version of Lex Luthor be a positive influence on our society and civilization as a whole. It wouldn't be like Red Son for example, I think they actually changed Lex's core to create an interesting twist on the history of Superman for the purpose of that story.

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd rather Luthor,he is Human. Clark will never be us,he can sympathize with us but not empathize with us,while we are being shot,burned,drowned and just dying,he'll be atop his perch ABOVE humanity.

you really don't understand Superman.

Cream_God

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Honestly, I need a dang job, if Lex can create more work then he has my vote.

Dextersinister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lex Luthor would be the biggest benefit to humanity from a technological stand point, we may most likely be travelling the stars in our life time.

Superman could potentially help with all that as he's no idiot but he always seemed to keep out of human progression, he would be a much better guardian, we would never be in any great danger.

With Lex we wouldn't have a great role model for future generations but would the promise of unlimited resources give us room to think more about things like that, with Superman as an ever vigilant protector we may feel smothered but despite how comics portray the general public I doubt most would care as long as they can live the day to day life in peace.

JonSmith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By JonSmith

Just go read Supreme Power. Superman would either have to leave humanity or fall in with the government, because otherwise they would sacrifice millions to try and capture him.

Bruxae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Lex.

JeanRalphio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By JeanRalphio

@allstarsuperman said:

@jeanralphio said:

you really don't understand Superman.

Kal-El is not "our" man. He's an alien,he'll ALWAYS be on the outside looking in and we have enough "gods" on this planet. He leads on a woman he can't even give children,I get he has good intentions but it won't work.

Thitiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#35 SC  Moderator

Lex Luthor.

Humans are generally lazy, emotional, fragile, bitter, vengeful and filled with bias. Superman is so popular because he is a fictional character because people can get things from him they can't get from real life. Its why we have so many friends, movies, TV shows, books, video games and ways to curb our boredom and entertain us until we die. With Superman the fictional character, writers can ignore realistic consequences because they are the ones that create them. Readers can heavily project their own reasoning and ideas into the character and plots. In reality all those subjective points of views will clash and conflict ultimately leaving a shell character thats either going to be super ineffective, a catalyst for dramatic change the likes of which will dramatically change living on Earth (including possible all of us losing freedoms) but its hard to predict. Power often corrupts because power often enables ability and when you have abilities others don't have you are put into a position of responsibility and there is no more neutral only action and inaction.

Lex Luthor is more manageable and predictable and he is fairly average in the grand scheme of things. In fact one of the most discussed and proposed reasons for the collapses of societies is how equally people are treated as far as what can be considered superficial reasons. Superman unfortunately creates quite the skewer. You know Justin Bieber has broken Make a Wish Foundation records with how many he has granted? He has probably given millions to charity too, but think of all the criticism and hate thrown at him? Whether its deserved or not isn't really the point (I am personally very critical but thats another thread) some people just really hate and resent him for having things that don't have. While it might be novel to have a Superman type hero around in real life, real life has thousands of real life heroes that have come and gone, that most people don't care or appreciate because they weren't in a comic their dad gave them when they were developing impressions about humanity. Think about how many scientists, solders, politicians that have done good for the world that are severely under appreciated?

Its really not a question about Superman or Lex Luthor really but more a question about humanity and its priorities and nature and current ability to process and cope with change. Superman is the equivalent of fast food. Great on its own, provides quick and easy fix to a problem (hunger) but long term consequences for humanity? Yeah… Lex Luthor can't be as polarizing a figure. We have had really intelligent confident billionaires before. They are rare in a relative sense, but they do exist and they have existed. Luthor is better for humanity because humanity must earn its way collectively, and we do have individuals that drag us down a bit more than most (Luthor at his worst), and we have individuals that will pull us up (Luthor at his best) and some times those individuals can be the same person, but its the majority and the direction they go that ultimately determines its own direction.

Avatar image for phoenixofthetides
PhoenixoftheTides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Would Lex Luthor be a villain or be working for humanity?

JeanRalphio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By JeanRalphio
Binski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ill take red son lex over supes

Deadgod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mcderpyson said:

Superman. He represents what man could be if they strive for a better tomorrow (Embraces the qualities that allow entire civilizations to flourish such as courage, liberty, selflessness, etc.), while Lex represents the qualities that do not fare well in the long run such as selfishness, complacency, "greater good" (which usually does more harm than good), apathy, etc. These traits might (And I use the word might loosely) be fine for the individual, but not so much societies/civilizations (Which is really bad when the Lex's of the world try and/or do get into positions of influence).

Dextersinister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Dextersinister

@jonsmith said:

Just go read Supreme Power. Superman would either have to leave humanity or fall in with the government, because otherwise they would sacrifice millions to try and capture him.

Humanity isn't comic book stupid, we also know all about him and know we have none of the things that can stop him.

Avatar image for ultrastarkiller
ULTRAstarkiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

Superman

Hazlenaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 11

There is problems that holds back both characters. Lex has a lot more that holding him back and they are big ones. I think his biggest problem that he needs to have everything under his control.

Emperorb777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Superman

MideonNViscera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm going with Luthor. He's mostly only a maniac because Superman exists. He may be an egomaniac without scruples, but if there was no Superman instigating him all the time he'd probably be curing cancer and hunger and all sorts of stuff.

Superman may inspire people not to be dicks, and punch robots, but who cares?

hart7668

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonsmith said:

That was a pretty good series.

Honestly, neither. Luthor is straight up evil but it's not like Superman tried to further man's knowledge of science when he wasn't fighting bad guys.