Who will be the next DC Poster Child?

• 77 results
RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Batman will always be the top dog with Superman behind him. Flash, WW and Harley has the potential for third place.

1) Flash : He has already have a popular TV series right now, will be getting a movie right after Justice League and hopefully soon an animated series. This guy could has the potential to be DC's Spider-Man and I have a feeling that's what DC's going for. I'd actually say he's ahead of WW and GL right now.

2) Wonder Woman : Getting a movie right after BvS, the most popular female comic book character.

3) Harley Quinn : Rapidly growing fanbase and will be in a movie in 2016.

A few years ago I would've put GL but his first movie made a lot of damage to his popularity, his still very popular (the only property other than Batman and Superman to have more than two books), Aquaman also has the chance. I'd say Captain Marvel and Static has the potential but I don't know if WB will use them to full potential, although it seems they're at least giving them a try.

regiebravo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Flash.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

@batwatch said:

I don't agree with your analysis that Superman was king in the early 2000s. At the time, Bats had Batman, Tec, Legends, shadow of the Bat, Gotham Knights and Chronicles not to mention Azrael, Batgirl, Robin, Nightwing, Catwoman, and Gotham Central and Harley Quinn.

I'm probably forgetting a few Bat titles.

Superman also had an event where he and his titles had the main focus aka Our Worlds at War. That's evidence that Superman was still treated as an important character by DC with at least equal consideration compared to Batman. Such is not the case nowadays.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger said:

@batwatch said:

I don't agree with your analysis that Superman was king in the early 2000s. At the time, Bats had Batman, Tec, Legends, shadow of the Bat, Gotham Knights and Chronicles not to mention Azrael, Batgirl, Robin, Nightwing, Catwoman, and Gotham Central and Harley Quinn.

I'm probably forgetting a few Bat titles.

Superman also had an event where he and his titles had the main focus aka Our Worlds at War. That's evidence that Superman was still treated as an important character by DC with at least equal consideration compared to Batman. Such is not the case nowadays.

Batman hasn't been the main focus for events too. Lex was the lead in FE who is a Superman character.

AwesomePerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

The superhero with the most successful TV show or movie, will probably win...

Avatar image for youknowwhattodo
youknowwhattodo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

#56  Edited By youknowwhattodo

I still think that Green Lantern has the best chance because of just how many things can be done with his universe (as opposed to the Flash) as we saw with GOTG, cosmic properties can sell very well and Green Lantern is pretty much DC's cosmic universe. Green Lantern is also hero that is the embodiment of willpower and courage, as much as I like Flash, he doesn't stand for anything as a character (at least not easily identifiable). While it is true that the live-action GL film wasn't successful, I don't think that writes that character off as the next potential poster child of DC. Finally, there's a certain someone at DC who will do anything in his power to make sure Green Lantern will be big.

Another possibility is Wonder Woman, because she really does stand for a lot but I don't know if DC is really committed nor do I think her universe has as much potential as Green Lantern.

Also, no to Harley Quinn, yes she has a rapid rise in popularity but I don't think it's sustainable over a decade because she really doesn't stand for anything that would make her iconic other than being crazy and irreverent and the audience will eventually tire of her antics.

BatWatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 238

@lvenger:

It's fair to say Superman had more pull in the early 2000s than he does now, but I don't think it can be said that he had more pull than the Bat at the time or that he was DC's poster child. Batman has ruled supreme since the late nineties at least.

ZeroPlus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@rustyroy said:

Batman will always be the top dog with Superman behind him. Flash, WW and Harley has the potential for third place.

1) Flash : He has already have a popular TV series right now, will be getting a movie right after Justice League and hopefully soon an animated series. This guy could has the potential to be DC's Spider-Man and I have a feeling that's what DC's going for. I'd actually say he's ahead of WW and GL right now.

2) Wonder Woman : Getting a movie right after BvS, the most popular female comic book character.

3) Harley Quinn : Rapidly growing fanbase and will be in a movie in 2016.

A few years ago I would've put GL but his first movie made a lot of damage to his popularity, his still very popular (the only property other than Batman and Superman to have more than two books), Aquaman also has the chance. I'd say Captain Marvel and Static has the potential but I don't know if WB will use them to full potential, although it seems they're at least giving them a try.

This.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By RustyRoy

I still think that Green Lantern has the best chance because of just how many things can be done with his universe (as opposed to the Flash) as we saw with GOTG, cosmic properties can sell very well and Green Lantern is pretty much DC's cosmic universe. Green Lantern is also hero that is the embodiment of willpower and courage, as much as I like Flash, he doesn't stand for anything as a character (at least not easily identifiable). While it is true that the live-action GL film wasn't successful, I don't think that writes that character off as the next potential poster child of DC. Finally, there's a certain someone at DC who will do anything in his power to make sure Green Lantern will be big.

Another possibility is Wonder Woman, because she really does stand for a lot but I don't know if DC is really committed nor do I think her universe has as much potential as Green Lantern.

Also, no to Harley Quinn, yes she has a rapid rise in popularity but I don't think it's sustainable over a decade because she really doesn't stand for anything that would make her iconic other than being crazy and irreverent and the audience will eventually tire of her antics.

GotG's success wasn't because it was a sci-fi/cosmic movie, the success was because of the characters ('a bunch of outlaws coming together to save the world', WB's response to that is Suicide Squad). Flash stands for hope and many people find him more relatable than GL, and that certain someone you're talking about doesn't have much power over the WB execs. I'm not writing off GL but he has a lot going against him, he's the last one of the big seven to get a solo movie, rumors say he won't even appear in the first JL movie while Flash already has a successful TV series, will appear in JL I & II and a solo movie right after the first JL. There's also a rumor he'll appear in BvS.

BatWatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 238

@zeroplus:

I have been pointing to GL as a character being treated right by DC. In the last decade, Green Lantern went from a one comic series which has always, except for the brief Mosaic years, been a one comic series to a sub-section at DC with Green Lantern, Green Lantern Corps, New Gaurdians, Red Lantern Corps, Larfleeze and Sinestro. That's a meteoric rise.

However, I was a bit disappointed to see GL Corps and RL Corps bein cancelled. I know RLC never really grabbed an audience, but I've rather enjoyed what I've read of GLC, so it's cancellation surprised me. Perhaps DC pushed the Corps too quickly.

Can you imagine how big it would be if GL had been a good movie though? They would already have had a sequel out by this time.

youknowwhattodo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By youknowwhattodo

@rustyroy: That last point about Geoff Johns wasn't meant to be taken seriously lol.

I never said that GOTG was successful because it was a sci-fi/cosmic movie, but it was a sci-fi/cosmic superhero movie that was successful. It's success was mostly predicated on its quality and reputation of Marvel movies with the casual audience.

In the case of the Flash and relatability, I view Barry and Hal the same, neither is more relatable than the other. But I don't think Flash stands for hope (at least it's not as easy to spot as the theme for other heroes) and even if that was the predominant theme of the character, there's already someone out there who embodies hope and his name is Superman and while his popularity isn't what it was in the 70's, he's still prominent.

I don't want my posts to be interpreted as a slam against the Flash because I do enjoy the character but to be the next poster child for DC, that character has to stand for something that Batman and Superman don't. That's not to say that Flash can't become the next poster child or that Green Lantern will because I don't think either will happen, especially when WB is going to push out 10 films based on DC properties by 2020, it's just hard for one character to stand out. However, if all of these properties where done properly, I think Green Lantern would have the best shot because the character and his universe has the most potential, followed by Wonder Woman and then Shazam.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@youknowwhattodo A character isn't successful on the base of what he stands for(I don't think anyone cares what Wolverine stands for), also just because Superman stands for hope(which he doesn't in DCCU yet) doesn't mean another character can't be liked because he stands for the same thing too. Spider-Man also stands for hope. Batman stands for Justice and will power (fear according to Johns). Also Flash's universe has a lot of potential I believe, he has one of the best villains and some great stories, if Flash has enough material for a TV series than it has more than enough material for a movie.

youknowwhattodo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By youknowwhattodo

@rustyroy: We're not just talking about success or being liked, we're talking being the next DC poster child and DC is known for its heroes being icons, so to be the new face of DC, the character has to stand for something recognizable and it has to be rather unique to the character and their universe. Superman does stand for hope in the DCCU or at least he was supposed to because of the dialogue characters had with Kal-El, not to mention "S"="hope" apparently, I know Snyder and co. butchered it in MOS by having the last act of the film be more about destruction and the entire setting of the movie filmed in a dark blueish-gray tint that made the world look unnecessarily bleak, but Superman is still portrayed to stand for hope in the DCCU.

Marvel characters aren't really known for being symbols of an idea or a character trait, at least when compared to DC characters, but even if we were to ascribe the characters themes, in the case of Spider-Man it's responsibility, Iron-Man it's technology and Wolverine it's just being the prototypical bad-ass anti-hero.

Again, I'm not saying Flash can't be successful or that his movie is destined for failure but I don't think he or his universe has enough in it to take over DC, he can come close but there is a ceiling for him, especially if he's being written in the DCCU like how he is on the CW show which is like Peter Parker.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@youlnowwhattodo If Iron Man stands for technology and Wolverine stands for badassery then Flash stands for speed, youth. A comic book character doesn't really have a limit. Also Flash is more already more iconic than GL, as for the CW series it's better than the GL movie.

youknowwhattodo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By youknowwhattodo

@rustyroy: What does the quality of the CW series versus the GL movie have to do with Flash being the next DC poster child?

Remember, when I was bringing up the examples of Marvel characters themes, I started it with

Marvel characters aren't really known for being symbols of an idea or a character trait

The second part of that was based on if you wanted find themes in the big name Marvel heroes. But Flash isn't a Marvel hero, he's a DC hero and he needs to represent more than just speed and youth to overtake Batman and Superman or else he'll just settle for bronze.

Just out of curiosity, is Flash your second favorite superhero :)

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

@batwatch: An understandable counter point, Batman did have a lot of influence the other top DC marketable character from the 1990s onwards.

Avatar image for deactivated-097092725
deactivated-097092725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I would love for it to be Wonder Woman.

SilverPool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Flash or Nightwing would be great

slimj87d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Flash is coming up.

Avatar image for symbioticspider-man
SymbioticSpider-Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Supes, probably.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rustyroy: What does the quality of the CW series versus the GL movie have to do with Flash being the next DC poster child?

Remember, when I was bringing up the examples of Marvel characters themes, I started it with

Marvel characters aren't really known for being symbols of an idea or a character trait

The second part of that was based on if you wanted find themes in the big name Marvel heroes. But Flash isn't a Marvel hero, he's a DC hero and he needs to represent more than just speed and youth to overtake Batman and Superman or else he'll just settle for bronze.

Just out of curiosity, is Flash your second favorite superhero :)

How does the quality of CW series prove that Flash has a 'ceiling'? I told you that there's enough material for Flash there to make a TV series, I didn't say anything about the execution of CW series, GL has enough good stories but with poor execution you will get something like the 2011 movie. Again a character will become a poster child when he outsells other characters. Flash is a property in the eyes of WB/DC, not a character, they'll copy and paste his face everywhere if he sells more than other characters. I already said before that there's only third place reserved for any DC character after Batman and Superman, there position won't be challenged for a long time. And yes Flash is my second favorite superhero but that's because he's the second most awesome superhero ever ;) Just out of curiosity what are these 'ceilings' you're talking about?

ZeroPlus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@batwatch said:

@zeroplus:

I have been pointing to GL as a character being treated right by DC. In the last decade, Green Lantern went from a one comic series which has always, except for the brief Mosaic years, been a one comic series to a sub-section at DC with Green Lantern, Green Lantern Corps, New Gaurdians, Red Lantern Corps, Larfleeze and Sinestro. That's a meteoric rise.

However, I was a bit disappointed to see GL Corps and RL Corps bein cancelled. I know RLC never really grabbed an audience, but I've rather enjoyed what I've read of GLC, so it's cancellation surprised me. Perhaps DC pushed the Corps too quickly.

Can you imagine how big it would be if GL had been a good movie though? They would already have had a sequel out by this time.

Indeed, he's gotten quite some comic series these years, but yeah, his movie wasn't nearly as successful as other DC movies like TDK or MOS... To be honest I was more disappointed seeing RL Corps being cancelled than GL Corps, I really enjoyed every single issue of RL Corps.

Green Lantern is a very famous character among comic book community, but what GL needed was a better movie to become famous among non-comic readers.

youknowwhattodo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rustyroy said:

How does the quality of CW series prove that Flash has a 'ceiling'? I told you that there's enough material for Flash there to make a TV series, I didn't say anything about the execution of CW series, GL has enough good stories but with poor execution you will get something like the 2011 movie. Again a character will become a poster child when he outsells other characters. Flash is a property in the eyes of WB/DC, not a character, they'll copy and paste his face everywhere if he sells more than other characters. I already said before that there's only third place reserved for any DC character after Batman and Superman, there position won't be challenged for a long time. And yes Flash is my second favorite superhero but that's because he's the second most awesome superhero ever ;) Just out of curiosity what are these 'ceilings' you're talking about?

Wait a second, you don't think that Flash will overtake Batman or Superman, I don't think that Flash will overtake Batman or Superman, what exactly are we debating about lol? My initial answer was based on the OP's question on matching/overtaking Batman or Superman. I can see why you think I was initially challenging you because my first post did bring up the same three names as yours but that was actually coincidental as I didn't get those from you.

So I'm going to skip the rest of what you're saying except for the last sentence because we have been on two separate wavelengths regarding what we think the other is talking about.

When I say 'ceiling' I mean from the standpoint of the positioning a character in the context of DC Comics. The reasons why Flash has a slightly lower ceiling than Green Lantern are as follows. One, unlike GL, Batman and Superman, he doesn't actually stand for an human idea, in the case of DC, that is actually very important because DC heroes moreso than Marvel are portrayed as larger-than-life icons whose stories and character arcs revolve around a particular theme. Green Lantern has a very clear theme that plays into the dynamics of the character, therefore giving GL a chance to match the status of Batman and Superman. Also, Flash's universe is not particularly vast, it's interesting and there are fascinating relationships within it but you can do more with Green Lantern's universe than Flash because there's just more to it. Flash operates in a city that isn't really different from other settings in the superhero medium that we've seen. That's not to say one can't make good Flash stories, TV shows or a movie, but I don't think that at the height of that characters potential popularity, it will be at the level of Batman and Superman. The only characters that I think can do that are Green Lantern, Wonder Woman if WB/DC really commit to her and Shazam, the latter is a potential gold-mine.

Just so everyone knows, no, Hal Jordan is not my 2nd favorite character, he's not even in my top 20.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@youknowwhattodo First of all I already said you just need to be successful to become the poster boy for a company, what the character stands for doesn't really matter, what matters is sales. Second of all you are not including everything about Flash, yeah he lives in Central city, Hal also lives in Coast city, Billy Batson lives in Fawcett city, many of Wonder Woman's stories took place in USA. Now I know you're talking about the 'other place', GL has Oa and space, WW has Themyscira and Mythic side, CM has RoE and magical side but Flash also has time travel and dimensional travel on his side, in fact in the multiversity map only Flash and CM's world are featured. And he also has a more diverse group of villains than WW and GL. When it comes to stories there's a lot that can be done to Flash, he's not trapped only in space or myth. This guy has appeared in JLD and Dial H, has normal, sci-fi, magical, time travelling villains. You are talking about potential which Flash has plenty but also what about actual stories and villains? Another thing is Flash is the most widely used DC character after Batman and Superman. I'm not saying this just because he's my favorite character.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By RustyRoy

@youknowahattodo Just to be clear, I'm not saying GL can't become the top dog of DC, I already said he had the best chance before the movie bombed but he's won't be in spotlight for many years, and that hurts his chances. I'm just trying to say Flash doesn't really have a limit to his universe like you're implying and what the character stands for doesn't really matter when it comes to popularity and iconic status.

69ball-z-deep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By 69ball-z-deep

@youknowwhattodo: @rustyroy: ya know i never really thought about, but Flash is the most lame story and character wise of all DCs top heroes.

And his rouges are the worst all time!

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@69ballzdeep Replace Flash with Quicksilver and DC with Marvel, I can agree with you.

youknowwhattodo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@youknowwhattodo: @rustyroy: ya know i never really thought about, but Flash is the most lame story and character wise of all DCs top heroes.

And his rouges are the worst all time!

In your own words, what is the story of the Flash and what are the important aspects of his character?