#1 Posted by captainsaul (140 posts) - - Show Bio

Well the first comic character I read was Captain America, Captain America #1. What was the first comic you read and who was the main character?

#2 Posted by mpierce2690 (316 posts) - - Show Bio

Spider-Man, though I don't know what issue. I was a huge fan of the animated series as a kid and my uncle took me to the comic book store and I read a bunch of Spider-Man comics.

#3 Posted by Rabbitearsblog (5835 posts) - - Show Bio

The first comic I read was Archie comics and Archie was practically the first comic book character I was introduced to, even though I had seen the X-Men cartoons before I read the Archie Comics.

#4 Posted by deaditegonzo (3686 posts) - - Show Bio

Amazing Spider-Man, I dont know the exact issue though.Back then, I just ordered the back issue that had a villain I really liked (usually recognized the villain from the TV show).

#5 Edited by trebean (641 posts) - - Show Bio

A very old He-Man comic an old guy sold to me for the equivalent of a dime. (My peso to dollar conversion may not be spot on but I'm sure it might be a dime)

The issue was where Orko got He-Man's powers or something, I was too young back then to understand anything, I just looked at the pictures.

#6 Edited by Immortal777 (7360 posts) - - Show Bio

Don't remember exactly what issue but it had Superman in it.

#7 Edited by SavageDragon (2252 posts) - - Show Bio

Fantastic Four

#8 Posted by t3hLomb (55 posts) - - Show Bio

Good Lord, I think Spider-Man? It's been so long...

#9 Posted by sinestro_GL (3127 posts) - - Show Bio

I remember the first comic I bought...but I'm not sure what was the first comic I read...probably Garfield

#10 Edited by mightyrearranger (1520 posts) - - Show Bio

I was a Spider-Man kid, for sure.

#11 Posted by NewKid (359 posts) - - Show Bio

probably Hellboy :)

#12 Posted by Night Thrasher (3681 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't remember. I do know that it had to be an Erik Larsen book because that's who my older brother loved. So, it was either Savage Dragon or Spider-Man. I'm pretty sure it was an issue of Spider-Man though

#13 Edited by Cap10nate (2241 posts) - - Show Bio

Captain America. I am still trying to figure out what issue it was. It was from my dad's stack of books from the late 60's and early 70s. It was about 18 years ago when I first read it. I didn't really read comics again until a couple years ago but Cap was the first character I got back into.

#14 Posted by ccraft (5209 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman Beyond I think, my step father used to have a ton of old comics, but I only remember some of them.

#15 Posted by SupremeHyperion (1523 posts) - - Show Bio

The first comics I remember reading as a kid were the Blue Ribbon Comics like "the Shield", "the Fly" and "Mr Justice"... the Shield is still my favorite American themed character...

#16 Edited by Veshark (9058 posts) - - Show Bio

Now that I think about it, the first actual comic I've ever read was probably an old Barb Wire issue my Mom bought at random. After that came Spider-Man's Tangled Web (which was really confusing to me as a kid), and a Bionicle promotional comic. Maybe some Archie and Calvin and Hobbes, if those count.

#17 Posted by akbogert (3218 posts) - - Show Bio

The first comic I read was one of the early teen issues of Sonic the Hedgehog. But since that was a comic based on a video game, you might argue that he's not a "comic character" proper. Likewise when I started reading Knuckles.

After that, you have to jump about a decade forward, when I started reading Ultimate Spider-Man.

#18 Posted by OldManRaffles (28 posts) - - Show Bio

Years ago my dad bought be a stack of random, old-ish comics. I've just looked through them and a couple were from the Azrael/Knightfall stuff. I'm not quite sure which one I read first, at the time I wasn't a big comic book reader. The first comic series I started to read monthly was the New 52 Green Lantern. So the first comic I can remember reading first was issue 1 of Green Lantern. Pretty boring compared to some others :P

#19 Posted by Extremis (3344 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman Long Halloween. Though the first one I actually bought was Batman Year One. (As you can probably tell I took a pretty conventional approach. Starting with the classics.)

I've branched out pretty far since then. I can't imagine how deprived I'd be if I hadn't explored comics. Pretty much my favorite hobby, yet more often my unhealthy obsession.

#20 Posted by Inphase (329 posts) - - Show Bio

Superman, don't know the issue, but its silver age.

#21 Posted by RustyRoy (12018 posts) - - Show Bio

The first comic books I read was Archie comics and Phantom but the first superhero comic book I read was Spider-Man,X-Men and Just Imagine GL. I still remember the day.

#22 Edited by BlueLantern1995 (2448 posts) - - Show Bio

The Original X-Men comics. Man those were fun(and still are)!

#23 Posted by sagejonathan (1936 posts) - - Show Bio

Thor in The Mighty Thor #4 by Fraction.

#24 Posted by tupiaz (2180 posts) - - Show Bio

Probably Donald Duck, Mickey Mouse or another disney character (where I live there a collected in a weekly comic). Then there was the Archie TMNT and probably a few issues of Phantom as the first superhero books. The first superhero from the big two was Spider-man later followed by spawn (yeah he is not from the big two). Besides Donald Duck none of this was bought regularly. Spider-man became the first superhero I bought regularly around 2002.

#25 Posted by bazuden (7 posts) - - Show Bio

Found this site trying to track down the name of some of the first comics I ever read: Hot Shot Hamish! But my first comics were 1970's Phantom.

#26 Edited by BiteMe-Fanboy (7738 posts) - - Show Bio

1990's Danny Ketch Ghost Rider.

#27 Edited by DH69 (4258 posts) - - Show Bio

amazing spider-man no clue what number or volume, but it was back in early/mid 90's

#28 Posted by bob808 (6767 posts) - - Show Bio

Kick-Ass

#29 Edited by Kangaxx_54 (306 posts) - - Show Bio

Silver age Batman. I can't remember much, but there was one issue where Batman & Robin are looking at teeth set marks or something? and I also remember the issue where Thomas Wayne was Batman.

I didn't read them for very long, because all other comics that I read were with self-contained stories that only lasted one issue, and so I couldn't wrap my head around the longer running stories and different writers and artists (it wasn't made any easier by only buying the occasional issue).

#30 Posted by Dabee (2387 posts) - - Show Bio

Sonic the Hedgehog!

#31 Edited by ComicStooge (12573 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman, I think.

#32 Edited by roboadmiral (544 posts) - - Show Bio

It was a Wolverine comic that my older brother bought. I was about eight at the time. My unprepared eight-year-old brain was blown away.

#33 Posted by The_Lunact_And_Manic (3286 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman: The Killing Joke

#34 Posted by Killemall (18556 posts) - - Show Bio

The first comics i ever read Thanos Quest.

The first hard cover TPB book i ever bought , something that has an entire arc in it, that would be Secret Wars 2.

#35 Posted by modunhanul (405 posts) - - Show Bio

Not so sure. I guess Simpsons or Justice League. I don't remember exactly though...

#36 Edited by jumpstart55 (2276 posts) - - Show Bio

Wolverine.I was about five or seven at the time and completely blown away by the whole experience. Not exactly sure what issue though, but it was definitely a 90,s issue.

#37 Edited by spidermonkey2099 (615 posts) - - Show Bio

Probably either Batman or Superman. The first comics I read were the few my brother collected in the early 90s. In addition to Batman and Superman, he also had a few issues of Justice League America, Justice League Europe, and Green Lantern.

#38 Edited by Catsnlynne (1020 posts) - - Show Bio

The first I ever read was a Green Arrow book that had his early comics in it from my library. The first ones I ever bought was Green Arrow and Savage Hawkman.

#39 Posted by Mortium (666 posts) - - Show Bio

Amazing Fantasy #15...

I had seen a couple of Spider-Man cartoons before, then did some research and found Amazing Spider-Man collections at the library.

#40 Posted by ThatGuyWithHeadPhones (10877 posts) - - Show Bio

Hulk or DeadPool I forgot

#41 Posted by flazam (2494 posts) - - Show Bio

Mine was Starlord and Nova (Stared in Thanos Impertive)

#42 Posted by Xwraith (17416 posts) - - Show Bio

The first comic I can remember reading is a Star Wars: Droids comic, but I'm not sure if that counts.

#43 Posted by Loki9876 (3005 posts) - - Show Bio

spider-man

#44 Posted by Guardiandevil83 (5524 posts) - - Show Bio

My sisters ex dropped off all his old comics, and the first I opened was a Daredevil 64 page annual. It was one of those books with The Fatboys as a back story.

#45 Posted by TheManInTheShoe (3878 posts) - - Show Bio

Spider-Man I think, not sure though

#46 Posted by Black_Claw (2972 posts) - - Show Bio

Well I was exposed to all the Marvel and DC characters via tv shows and movies. The first comic book I ever read was about Sonic the Hedgehog. I didn't start actually reading Marvel and DC comics until I started High School.

#47 Posted by Daaerk (204 posts) - - Show Bio

I can't remember clearly since it's been so long, but I presume it had to be a Spider-man, Batman or Superman comic. :D

Daaerk

#48 Edited by colonyofcells (2038 posts) - - Show Bio

Not sure if I could read at that time, but my brother bought an Action Comics (fortress of solitude cover) and a World's Finest (faceless superman and green arrow). Brother did not buy comics again. Later on I bought for myself Superboy & Legion (Anti-Lad).