User Lists: 0

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

@dregj said:

we aint that lucky as for whoever replaces him id accept the janitor at this point

ive never encountered a batman writer who so fundamentally misses the point of the character

True.

Fix your writing format though. Your comment is very difficult to read.

Avatar image for darkdetective27
darkdetective27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 69

User Lists: 10

#5  Edited By darkdetective27

Anyone

Im glad he's leaving.

TheExile285

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 4

So what is it about Batman that Scott apparently misses?

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Derivative story-lines, pseydo-intellectual sub-text turned over-text. Misinterpretation of the Joker and Batman relationship that borderlines to homophobic, plot-holes, turned Batman into an action hero, with deus ex machines that do all the work, Joker's omnipresence. Its not that his run is the worst ever, its just that it has nothing to offer and getting rave reviews despite its obvious flaws is baffling.

I know people will eat up anything with good art, but still...

You can look to the batman forums or reviews etc. for more thorough explanations. One can repeat himself only so many times.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

A lot but that's ok as I dont expect everyone to get everything but rewriting classic stories is a big NO. Scott hasn't contributed to Batman's narrative one bit,he hasn't told me anything new,everything he does is just a restatement except with 100 times more Joker.

I want to see Batman get tested,I want to see new direction, new territory. The whole secret history non sense,Gotham is behind it all and Joker loves Batman soooooooo much stuff was fairly overplayed before Snyder but with him all this has been blown out of proportion.

Anyone

Im glad he's leaving.

Not anyone lol,from DC itself I'd like to see one of these or a combination of Seeley,King,Valentine or Orlando get a shot.

Slayz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

@entropy_aegis: Would you guys like to see Capullo stay on the title?

I think Snyder has run his course and his Batman is pretty bland now, but I could eat up that Capullo work for another 5 years.

lxlGiftedlxl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Avatar image for darkdetective27
darkdetective27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 69

User Lists: 10

lxlGiftedlxl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for manwhohaseverything
Manwhohaseverything

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

So..the OP is 11months old. The first comment on it is 4 hours ago? News flash..Snyder did not leave after issue 40.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@slayz said:

@entropy_aegis: Would you guys like to see Capullo stay on the title?

I think Snyder has run his course and his Batman is pretty bland now, but I could eat up that Capullo work for another 5 years.

Sure but if he stays then I think Snyder will stay as well. It does often happen that the writer tends to not continue if his/her frequent collaborator decides to move on.

dan12456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hate the "Snyder doesn't get Batman" crowd. Not cause I fundamentally think they are wrong, but because when asked what element of Batman Snyder doesn't understand they NEVER answer the question. They always just talk about how the stories are boring or redundant or say they don't want to waste time listing it out. While those things could be true (I disagree but it's a valid opinion) they have nothing to do with mischaracterizing Batman.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

@darkdetective27 said:

Anyone

Im glad he's leaving.

Not anyone lol,from DC itself I'd like to see one of these or a combination of Seeley,King,Valentine or Orlando get a shot.

I think that he will be able to pull a great job as the main Batman writer. The guy has what it takes to make a book entertaining, worth the read and a great time killer. Also, he seems to understand the Bat universe pretty well form what we have seen so far in his Grayson issues.

righteous300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Snyder is one of the best Batman writers

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dan12456 said:

I hate the "Snyder doesn't get Batman" crowd. Not cause I fundamentally think they are wrong, but because when asked what element of Batman Snyder doesn't understand they NEVER answer the question. They always just talk about how the stories are boring or redundant or say they don't want to waste time listing it out. While those things could be true (I disagree but it's a valid opinion) they have nothing to do with mischaracterizing Batman.

When you have said the same things again and again its quite easy to be bored. Use google. But so you don't say I am ignoring the problem here, this is a nice comment from Entropy about Snyder's Joker:

@gotham331 said:

@entropy_aegis: He's done two joker stories so far. I'm curious to see where he goes after 47. I thought his Court of Owls was great and Zero Year was good, but with the inclusion of the Red Hood Gang I can see you point about the Joker. I would love to read a Penguin, Bane, or even Back Mask Story

He's written 4 complete "epics" of which 2 were about Joker. Ignoring the 3 issues he's co-plotted with other writers Joker has showed up in 17/45 issues of Batman,ignoring Superheavy for a moment because it's not complete you're looking at 16/38 issues. You're looking at a Joker appearance after every 2 months on average.

But that doesn't bother me,what bothers me is that Joker under Snyder is so ridiculously tied to Bruce that its not even funny,for eg:

Year One had nothing to do with the Joker,Zero Year recreates Year One with Joker.

Bane and Darkseid removed Batman from the equation in Knightfall and Final Crisis,Joker does it Endgame.

Joker was not involved with Bruce's return in Knightsend and Return of Bruce Wayne,he is in Superheavy.

Snyder has literally rewritten the few good Batman stories that DIDN'T have Joker and forced Joker in to them. The only thing that remains to be done now is for Joker to be revealed as Joe Chill. I dont even wanna get in to all the Joker wankery,his Joker has single handedly owned the entire Batfamily,JL and the other Batrogues. His last big Joker story essentially turned the character in to a horror version of Ra's al Ghul.

Either way Snyder's Joker is a terrible caricature and will rank among the worst versions of the character and no 5 star reviews is going to change that. Loving a character doesn't mean getting them and so far the big Snyder Joker stories turned him in to a wannabe Leather Face in DOTF and a weird Ra's al Ghul/Vandal Savage hybrid wannabe in Endgame. When Snyder's not busy making him someone else he turns him in to cliche machine that is hell bent on reliving all the classic Joker stories but without anything new added and in the process saps the nuance and subtlety of the classics while beating you over the head with heavy handed metaphors.

Sadly I dont see this non sense stopping,not with the big 50th issue and the Suicide Squad movie which give Snyder even more reasons to write Joker.

dan12456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dan12456 said:

When you have said the same things again and again its quite easy to be bored. Use google. But so you don't say I am ignoring the problem here, this is a nice comment from Entropy about Snyder's Joker:

@gotham331 said:

@entropy_aegis: He's done two joker stories so far. I'm curious to see where he goes after 47. I thought his Court of Owls was great and Zero Year was good, but with the inclusion of the Red Hood Gang I can see you point about the Joker. I would love to read a Penguin, Bane, or even Back Mask Story

He's written 4 complete "epics" of which 2 were about Joker. Ignoring the 3 issues he's co-plotted with other writers Joker has showed up in 17/45 issues of Batman,ignoring Superheavy for a moment because it's not complete you're looking at 16/38 issues. You're looking at a Joker appearance after every 2 months on average.

But that doesn't bother me,what bothers me is that Joker under Snyder is so ridiculously tied to Bruce that its not even funny,for eg:

Year One had nothing to do with the Joker,Zero Year recreates Year One with Joker.

Bane and Darkseid removed Batman from the equation in Knightfall and Final Crisis,Joker does it Endgame.

Joker was not involved with Bruce's return in Knightsend and Return of Bruce Wayne,he is in Superheavy.

Snyder has literally rewritten the few good Batman stories that DIDN'T have Joker and forced Joker in to them. The only thing that remains to be done now is for Joker to be revealed as Joe Chill. I dont even wanna get in to all the Joker wankery,his Joker has single handedly owned the entire Batfamily,JL and the other Batrogues. His last big Joker story essentially turned the character in to a horror version of Ra's al Ghul.

Either way Snyder's Joker is a terrible caricature and will rank among the worst versions of the character and no 5 star reviews is going to change that. Loving a character doesn't mean getting them and so far the big Snyder Joker stories turned him in to a wannabe Leather Face in DOTF and a weird Ra's al Ghul/Vandal Savage hybrid wannabe in Endgame. When Snyder's not busy making him someone else he turns him in to cliche machine that is hell bent on reliving all the classic Joker stories but without anything new added and in the process saps the nuance and subtlety of the classics while beating you over the head with heavy handed metaphors.

Sadly I dont see this non sense stopping,not with the big 50th issue and the Suicide Squad movie which give Snyder even more reasons to write Joker.

I love how your response is rude but still manages to avoid the question entirely. Instead linking something about how Snyder doesn't get the Joker LOL.

This response is about as perfect an example of my point as you could get.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dan12456 said:
@squalleon said:
@dan12456 said:

@gotham331 said:

I love how your response is rude but still manages to avoid the question entirely. Instead linking something about how Snyder doesn't get the Joker LOL.

This response is about as perfect an example of my point as you could get.

I don't see how I was rude or how I didn't answer the question. I can't remember every thread I have talked about Snyder's fault or care enough to re-write everything. And I didn't want to leave you hanging so I posted a comment I remembered that came out recently.

Yeah right....

kcomicfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

IMO Snyder is one of the best Batman writers. I would not mind seeing Tynion IV as the main writer of Batman.

lamdaddy20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Tom King would be interesting

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By entropy_aegis

@dan12456 said:

Mischaracterization also refers to an inability to understand the rules of the world you are writing about. If he understood Batman he wouldn't have forced Joker in to his origin. His perspective is limited, his refusal to acknowledge Batman's world post 90's is sickening,he just wants to relive a bygone era which he craps on anyway by rewriting inferior versions of the stories written in that era and multiplying the Joker dosage.

If the writer cannot accept the fact that the Batman of today is not the Batman of the 90's then it's clear to me that he doesn't get the character at all,every single thing with his name on it clashes with classic stories.

Some specific examples:

His Mr Freeze origin with Tynion in the first annual fundamentally misses the point of Mr Freeze.

Death of the Family was his attempt to break the family because he wanted to go back to the pre 90's status quo and failed,Batman INC #8 completely torpedoed his story despite only selling half as much. Goes to show sales are so substitute for powerful ideas and direction.

Joker in Batman's origin instead of the mooks in Year One.

Lincoln March.

Blatant refusal to acknowledge Bruce having a son.

Craps on Alfred.

Jim Gordon in a robo suit... what's next? Lucius Fox with Superman's powers?

Wannabe Tim Drakes' in Harper and Duke. He's essentially trying to the make this one character work in 2 different bodies while the original lies around. When he knows full well that Tim Drake is not working then why is he under the impression that poor clones of Tim will fare any better?

Just give him a Joker/Batman book and be done with it.

Moving on to the Eternal books which he plots with Tynion

Hush's origin was inferior to Heart of Hush.

His retelling of Cult was inferior to the actual story.

Cassandra's new origin is inferior to the previous one.

Azrael's backstory is inferior to the previous version.

And the list goes on. Every single Snyder retelling is inferior and it's because he's single handedly trying to recreate a bygone era. I can re-read the classics any time so what I want are new stories not Snyder showing off what he'd have done if he wrote those classics(that's just fan fiction)

Steve Orlando recently reintroduced Prometheus back in to the DCU,he didn't feel the need to redo Prometheus' origin,he just took the original New Years Evil one shot and went with it. That's what Snyder should be doing,Az,Hush,Cass etc are NOT HIS characters that he can just do whatever he likes. I dont want to read Cassandra Cain created by Snyder and Tynion,just give us Cassandra that was created by Puckett or dont bother.

lxlGiftedlxl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Anyone other than Johns. Not that Johns is a bad writer I just don't trust him to write a good Batman.

Maybe Tomasi, *cough* Morrison Again *cough*, King would be cool.

vinomonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Jeff Lemiere but Marvel has him.

Brian Azzarello

Tom King

dregj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

not wanting to go over old ground but

his batman is stupid ,thick headed and stubborn

in court of owls alone he ignores all the evidence because he got locked in a room as a child?????

dismissing his allies advice on the subject

left me thinking who is this fella

cos, he sure aint batman