• 161 results
#101 Edited by Jokergeist (4935 posts) - - Show Bio

@decoyelite: Key word: MAJORITY of people. I'm not the one degrading other people's favorite villains. Why? Because my knowledge of other villains is limited, and I therefore cannot make a balanced judgment. This is what's happening with the Joker.

Most of these people "not loving my character choice" in actuality have never experienced the true essence of Joker's character in the first place, and are therefore making empty claims about "Joker being overrated." I'm not freaking out about their respective opinions, but I'm rather freaking out about their opinions being...empty.

#102 Posted by DecoyElite (4019 posts) - - Show Bio

@jokergeist: Except their emptiness is based purely on your own assumptions.

#103 Posted by AssertingValor (5391 posts) - - Show Bio

Loki

#104 Posted by Jokergeist (4935 posts) - - Show Bio

@decoyelite: Oh, so you really believe that everyone here saying "Joker is overrated" is thoroughly intimate with Joker's character? You think EVERYONE here has familiarized themselves with this complex character to the point of making an adequate judgement of him, taking into account nothing but their own personal preferences and unique tastes?

I doubt that HALF of the people talking have read a single Joker story. You may think I'm making assumptions, but if so then I'm making realistic assumptions. Realistic as hell.

#105 Posted by DecoyElite (4019 posts) - - Show Bio

@jokergeist: Depends on what you consider a Joker story. If you just mean Bats vs Joker then I'll take your little bet, but something tells me you're talking about the few where Joker is the protagonist.

Although based off your own logic shouldn't you be calling everyone out?

I mean clearly if someone thinks a character is overrated then they're not a big fan, and if they're not a big fan then they don't know everything about the character and thus their opinion can not be given here, right?

#106 Posted by Jokergeist (4935 posts) - - Show Bio

@decoyelite: Pretty much.

Sure, they can "give their opinion," but like I said it would be an empty one. It's like a kid claiming he dislikes peas, despite never tasting peas before. It's an empty claim.

#107 Posted by Enzeru (2954 posts) - - Show Bio

The Joker, because of all the plot-protection he gets.

#108 Edited by DecoyElite (4019 posts) - - Show Bio

@jokergeist: Okay well then you have fun complaining about nothing then.

#109 Edited by Jokergeist (4935 posts) - - Show Bio
#110 Posted by patrat18 (9582 posts) - - Show Bio

i think when a character like joker gets to popular people hate on him despite never having read a damn joker book in their lives, it's pathetic joker is no way near overrated he is a badass villain to a badass hero. the shit he's done made people question themselves that's something not many villains can pull off like, "holy shit is this even humanly possible"," and why the f did they publish this sick book".right now as of this moment i would say loki mainly because girls see tom playing him and get wet in their panties, thor comic books are never in the top 5 best selling of the month, but the movies do great coincidence i think not.

#111 Posted by Jokergeist (4935 posts) - - Show Bio

@patrat18: Thank you for supporting my point.

#112 Posted by DecoyElite (4019 posts) - - Show Bio

@jokergeist: Yeah, don't think I'm hatin' by the way. Can't really dislike anyone who knows how awesome Waluigi is.

#113 Edited by Jokergeist (4935 posts) - - Show Bio
#114 Posted by DecoyElite (4019 posts) - - Show Bio

@jokergeist: Look up Psycho Waluigi if you haven't already played it.

One of the best Mario fan games ever. :D

#115 Posted by gunmetalgrey (1267 posts) - - Show Bio

@jokergeist: Apparently you hadn't noticed, but not once in any of my comments did I state that the Joker is overrated. All I did was point out the error in your process of going about convincing people that he isn't overrated and your misunderstanding of the word 'overrated'.

#116 Posted by MartianManhunterIsBetterThanCyborg (2230 posts) - - Show Bio

Loki

#117 Edited by Jokergeist (4935 posts) - - Show Bio

@gunmetalgrey: Teehee actually I did notice momentarily after I had already posted ^.^

@decoyelite Yes indeed Psycho Waluigi is amazing :D

#118 Posted by entropy_aegis (15247 posts) - - Show Bio

Doomsday, a LAME character.

Riddler,for someone who's done so little he gets too much love and credit.

Dr Doom,just dont give him prep,he and his fans make Batman and his fans look awfully cooler in comparison.

Joker is less overrated and more over hyped in the stories he appears in.

#119 Edited by JetiiMitra (8528 posts) - - Show Bio

@knightfall225 said:

How is joker overrated

Joker >>>>>>> your favorite villain

But anyways Dr. doom and Lex luthor are highly overrated

I find this to be wrong.

@gunmetalgrey said:

@jokergeist: Overrated ≠ well-liked. Overrated means exactly what it says, highly rated to a point above its actual worth/value. He can be overrated by the majority or by the minority, but he's still overrated.

This, a thousand times over, is how I think of Joker. And Batman to a much, much lesser degree, but I don't want to get into that.

#120 Edited by Jokergeist (4935 posts) - - Show Bio

@mitran said:

This, a thousand times over, is how I think of Joker. And Batman to a much, much lesser degree, but I don't want to get into that.

Oh, but please DO. I'd love to hear it.

#121 Edited by JetiiMitra (8528 posts) - - Show Bio

@mitran said:

Oh, but please DO. I'd love to hear it.

Okay.

"i dont know, hell figure it out bcuz hes batman"

"Dude, do you not get it? Batman has an hour of prep time. Did you even read TDKR?"

"I think we should really just give up on everything because Batman is god."

Obviously that last one isn't serious. The Battle Forums... well no, the Internet in general has a seeming mentality of Batman > everything. I have a respect for Batman - even an appreciation (though I find it hard to really like him because TDKR and TDKSA were the first Bat-books I read), but he is not > everything. And that's really all there is to it. Even non-comic book fans, who haven't read him and have no idea what the real Batman is like have this idea of "This is Batman. He can do this because he is Batman." That ignorance is what I disagree with. To sum it up, from what I've seen, most people believe Batman has no limits. I know that he does, and so in my opinion, Batman is overrated. To be fair, I used to downright hate him and think he was overrated just because people like him, but that opinion has changed drastically since I really got into comics.

#122 Posted by kriminal (646 posts) - - Show Bio

I really don't like the joker either. I don't really read batman so I cant say if he is overrated

#123 Posted by Web_Flotsam (1118 posts) - - Show Bio

Freeza. A lot of people like him for some reason despite the fact that he was a complete and total idiot who was the sole reason his own plans failed.

#124 Posted by Jokergeist (4935 posts) - - Show Bio

@mitran said:

Obviously that last one isn't serious. The Battle Forums... well no, the Internet in general has a seeming mentality of Batman > everything. I have a respect for Batman - even an appreciation (though I find it hard to really like him because TDKR and TDKSA were the first Bat-books I read), but he is not > everything. And that's really all there is to it. Even non-comic book fans, who haven't read him and have no idea what the real Batman is like have this idea of "This is Batman. He can do this because he is Batman." That ignorance is what I disagree with. To sum it up, from what I've seen, most people believe Batman has no limits. I know that he does, and so in my opinion, Batman is overrated. To be fair, I used to downright hate him and think he was overrated just because people like him, but that opinion has changed drastically since I really got into comics.

This is understandable. However earlier you mentioned that you think Batman's overrated to a LESSER degree than Joker? How so?

#125 Posted by Dayvid3 (807 posts) - - Show Bio
#126 Posted by sinestro_GL (3127 posts) - - Show Bio

Joker and Thanos

#127 Posted by Ostyo (7513 posts) - - Show Bio

Joker, Joker, Joker, Joker, Joker.

#128 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio

Norman Osborn

#129 Posted by JetiiMitra (8528 posts) - - Show Bio

@mitran said:

This is understandable. However earlier you mentioned that you think Batman's overrated to a LESSER degree than Joker? How so?

Sorry for the late reply, didn't receive a notification. Maybe it's just because I've read more with Batman in it than Joker (yes, I'll admit that may be a reason),but it seems to me that Joker does stuff he has no business doing, similar to Batman; but he has even less reason to do it, making it less believable for him to do so. BUT he's still held on a pedestal for it. In teams, Batman has a place because he is the strategist/detective/tech guy. That's his role. Whereas when Joker is on a team it's purely as a visual counter to Batman - he doesn't really contribute anything and the other villains seem to keep him around for no reason. Or the Injustice comic, where he's the one that drives Superman to kill him with that huge elaborate plan. Never before had he done anything so devastating, and it was somewhat out of character to do this to Superman, not as a peripheral to Batman, just directly attacking a completely different hero. Yet... he's still allowed to do it and even receives praise for it.

Like I said, this could be because I don't read much Joker. I'd be open to any reading suggestions that might change my mind, but right now I just don't think he's as good as his popularity makes him out to be.

#130 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29499 posts) - - Show Bio

Not sure about overrated, but post-resurrection Norman Osborn is definitely a broken character.

#131 Posted by Thedarklordpandamonium (4825 posts) - - Show Bio

@mitran:

Honestly, I agree completely.

Even in Infinite Crisis when Alex Luthor didn't put joker on his team they HAD to put a bit about Joker in there.

Joker should NEVER be against anyone but Batman and even then only in when he's controlling things. Wtf is he going to do but use Joke Gas, which has been shown to be easily accessible by any Batman archmook?

#132 Edited by RedLantern23 (884 posts) - - Show Bio

I honestly cant think of any overrated villains. Of course there are characters i dont like, but none of them are overrated. I feel like with villains, most of their popularity or respect is rightfully so.

#133 Posted by JetiiMitra (8528 posts) - - Show Bio

@thedarklordpandamonium:

I didn't even think about Crisis. There's that, too. Honestly I get that he's a super-intelligent and dangerous guy (to say the least), but he's just not on the level he's so often portrayed as. Or at least he shouldn't be, and I haven't seen enough to convince me otherwise.

#134 Posted by ThatGuyWithHeadPhones (10877 posts) - - Show Bio

Sousuke Aizen

*sigh*

#135 Edited by ComicStooge (12580 posts) - - Show Bio

The Joker and Thanos come to mind.

#136 Edited by Arkhamc1tizen (2142 posts) - - Show Bio

Galactus.

#137 Edited by DecoyElite (4019 posts) - - Show Bio

@fadetoblackbolt said:

Norman Osborn

@innervenom123 said:

Not sure about overrated, but post-resurrection Norman Osborn is definitely a broken character.

I was thinking of my answer and I'll go with this one.

Guy does one really big thing and then gets retconned into being way smarter and more manipulative than he actually was.

#138 Posted by batpala (339 posts) - - Show Bio

Loki, especially when they woobify [HE'S NOT EVIL. HE'S JUST MISUNDERSTOOD!!] him. Even the thought of him turns me off reading Thor comics to be honest.

#139 Posted by flazam (2494 posts) - - Show Bio

loki (Not as kid Loki, Just as normal Loki)

#140 Edited by TheCannon (18322 posts) - - Show Bio

Joker.

#141 Posted by Jokergeist (4935 posts) - - Show Bio

@mitran said:

Sorry for the late reply, didn't receive a notification. Maybe it's just because I've read more with Batman in it than Joker (yes, I'll admit that may be a reason),but it seems to me that Joker does stuff he has no business doing, similar to Batman; but he has even less reason to do it, making it less believable for him to do so. BUT he's still held on a pedestal for it. In teams, Batman has a place because he is the strategist/detective/tech guy. That's his role. Whereas when Joker is on a team it's purely as a visual counter to Batman - he doesn't really contribute anything and the other villains seem to keep him around for no reason. Or the Injustice comic, where he's the one that drives Superman to kill him with that huge elaborate plan. Never before had he done anything so devastating, and it was somewhat out of character to do this to Superman, not as a peripheral to Batman, just directly attacking a completely different hero. Yet... he's still allowed to do it and even receives praise for it.

Like I said, this could be because I don't read much Joker. I'd be open to any reading suggestions that might change my mind, but right now I just don't think he's as good as his popularity makes him out to be.

You're judging his character based on logic and reason, which simply doesn't apply to The Joker. Batman is acceptable to judge this way, because he's all about logic and reason. The Joker on the other hand is just batsh!t crazy, whose motives make sense to nobody but him. This is something you need to understand.

he doesn't really contribute anything and the other villains seem to keep him around for no reason.

Nononono, you got it all backwards. The "other villains" don't simply "keep him around." The Joker needs no damn invitation, he's a top dog in villain world. The other villains NEED Joker, but they also FEAR Joker. ((@diredrill help me out here))

When Ra's Al Ghul needs a job done, who does he choose? The Joker of course.

Joker: "This is a delicate matter and must be handled with great aplomb. That's why your darling daddy sent me along with you. A job like this takes finesse. I got finesse up to my earlobes."

Or the Injustice comic, where he's the one that drives Superman to kill him with that huge elaborate plan. Never before had he done anything so devastating, and it was somewhat out of character to do this to Superman, not as a peripheral to Batman, just directly attacking a completely different hero. Yet... he's still allowed to do it and even receives praise for it.

Again, you're trying to make SENSE of Joker's motives.

Man: "But what does he want? Why would he make the fish look like him?"

Batman: "That I don't know! With ordinary men, you might figure some motive -- But the Joker's mind is clouded in madness! His motives make sense to him alone!"

@mitran said:

Have you read Salvation Run? or No Man's Land?

Sincerely,

#142 Posted by Immortal777 (7361 posts) - - Show Bio

Thanos and Doom

#143 Posted by JetiiMitra (8528 posts) - - Show Bio

@mitran said:

You're judging his character based on logic and reason, which simply doesn't apply to The Joker. Batman is acceptable to judge this way, because he's all about logic and reason. The Joker on the other hand is just batsh!t crazy, whose motives make sense to nobody but him. This is something you need to understand.

This is what I have the most problem with. I don't mind about not understanding his motives, but there is a consistency you can understand about him. That's the criteria I'm judging him by. When I said that he does stuff he has no business doing, I meant it more like going up against people he shouldn't, and beating them. For a street-level character who isn't the absolute best a human can be, that's a turn-off.

he doesn't really contribute anything and the other villains seem to keep him around for no reason.

Nononono, you got it all backwards. The "other villains" don't simply "keep him around." The Joker needs no damn invitation, he's a top dog in villain world. The other villains NEED Joker, but they also FEAR Joker. ((@diredrill help me out here))

When Ra's Al Ghul needs a job done, who does he choose? The Joker of course.

Joker: "This is a delicate matter and must be handled with great aplomb. That's why your darling daddy sent me along with you. A job like this takes finesse. I got finesse up to my earlobes."

What I don't get is why Joker is a top dog compared to other villains, and needed. He's effective yes, but I haven't seen him planning stuff out and being effective as a team member. The rest I understand; he does what he does best.

Or the Injustice comic, where he's the one that drives Superman to kill him with that huge elaborate plan. Never before had he done anything so devastating, and it was somewhat out of character to do this to Superman, not as a peripheral to Batman, just directly attacking a completely different hero. Yet... he's still allowed to do it and even receives praise for it.

Again, you're trying to make SENSE of Joker's motives.

Man: "But what does he want? Why would he make the fish look like him?"

Batman: "That I don't know! With ordinary men, you might figure some motive -- But the Joker's mind is clouded in madness! His motives make sense to him alone!"

Again, I get why he does what he does (or rather, I don't and I'm okay with that), but I don't get why he receives praise for it. Not an actual point of mine I guess, just my Supes fanboy showing.

Have you read Salvation Run? or No Man's Land?

I haven't read either, but I'll check them out sometime. Thanks for the suggestions.

#145 Posted by tupiaz (2180 posts) - - Show Bio

I guess really there is alot of them.

For Spiderman I think it would be Green Goblin and Venom. They really got to much play. Then with the Green Goblin it almost seems like they dont know where to stop. Considering they had the Grey goblin and I cant remember what his sister was calling himself. Thats just taking it to far.

The Problem with Green Goblin is that the put him behind every major scheme. They took away the Chameleon when he did the robot parents (instead he was knock out be MJ...sigh). Green Goblin also needed to be behind the clone saga instead of letting it just be Jackal. Let the other villains win get the big scheme....oh well doesn't matter any more Spider-man as a character stop existing with OMD.

#146 Posted by entropy_aegis (15247 posts) - - Show Bio

@jokergeist: Salvation Run was terrible,nay garbage,and Ra's killed him after using him,ofcourse he got saved by Batman but that is besides the point.

I think there is a difference between overrated and getting a free pass from the writers.Injustice,Salvation run and more recently Death of the Family are examples of that.Writers try really hard to put him on a pedestal he doesn't belong in.

The Joker isn't overrated,that is proven by the responses here on this thread.But at the same time he gets a lot of free pass from the writers particularly when it comes to stacking him up against other major super villains.He really has no business standing alongside Lex,Black Adam,Sinestro etc,they dont need him.However that doesn't take away anything from him,he's still a better villain than those 3,just not on their level.

If it's any consolation there are plenty of Joker stories where he's a loser getting his ass kicked,Red Hood:The lost days,Hush,Under the Red Hood,Cacophony etc.

Now Doom that guy is overrated,love the character but DEFINITELY overrated.Fans here think that he could own Marvel and DC simultaneously with 2 minutes of prep.

#147 Posted by Jokergeist (4935 posts) - - Show Bio

@entropy_aegis: Fair enough.

He really has no business standing alongside Lex, Black Adam,Sinestro etc,they dont need him.

In my opinion most of you simply underestimate him. But sure, Black Adam and Sinestro not needing him is understandable.

#148 Posted by PeppeyHare (4310 posts) - - Show Bio

Coming from a huge Spidey fan I'd have to say Eddie Brock as Venom. Like seriously that character's popularity was almost completely due to his design. Nothing was really interesting about him after a while

#149 Posted by batmannflash (6215 posts) - - Show Bio

Although I'm fan of these villains, I choose: Apocalypse, Green Goblin, Venom, Thanos

#150 Edited by flazam (2494 posts) - - Show Bio

I gotta say Thanos, He's cool but Overrated