Who is the greatest heroic symbol - Superman or Captain America ?

• 120 results
Avatar image for comicfanforever
comicfanforever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

#1  Edited By comicfanforever

Who is the greatest heroic symbol - Superman or Captain America      

I Love these characters....
NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By NightFang3

I say both of them.

tensor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By tensor

i agreed they both are heroic but have to give the edge to superman cause of his soft side he would do almost anything to save some one

Precise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Precise

I really like both of them, but Supes wins.

Cellywyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Cellywyn

To me it's Captain America. He gave his life up to chance when he underwent the Super Soldier program, not knowing what could happen to him, all because he wanted to serve in the military because of his love for his country. In my eyes it's courage and fearlessness that set apart a hero from  regular people whether super powered or not. And to me it's always been something I've respected in Captain America (Steve Rogers, not to underplay Bucky but Steve will always be the true Captain America).

darkgundamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By darkgundamz

Agree with Nighfang, but going with Superman if one is to be chosen.  Why? Because he's an alien being with god like powers who uses them for the betterment of his adopted world  as well as other lifeforms in the universe rather than use them for selfish gain as many of us true native humans probably would. What he does may not be looked at as the coolest thing to do or the most realistic and glamorous, but that is what makes him the most heroic to me.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ffc7df6492da
deactivated-5ffc7df6492da

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

I say Cap because during Civil War people knew that they would be breaking the law and would be criminals, but the followed Cap and even Spider-Man while he was on the opposite side respected him.

Avatar image for donovan_montgomery
Donovan Montgomery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 17

To the general populance I say ......

Going by history of the characters I agree with  Cellywyn, Captain America apitamizes the attidute of America, and probably the free world, at the time.  Since his return (first) he has continually tried to stay true to those same ideals.
Nova`Prime`

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Nova`Prime`

I'd have to go with Captain America, because he'll stand against any injustice or foe regardless of his own personal safety. Although Superman is nothing to sneeze at, but lets face it he's only heroic because he can be, he's indestructible and has all these awesome powers. Just because he doesn't use those powers to take over the world doesn't make him a hero, it makes him a sucker. (joking to all you die hard superman freaks :P ) But Supes is 1b to Cap's 1a on my heroic meter.

Avatar image for crimsonspider89
crimsonspider89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#10  Edited By crimsonspider89

Cap due to the fact he faces overwhelming odds even though he is nearly powerless. Unlike Supes, who faces opponents of equal or lesser strengths, Cap has fought people who could squash him like a bug. Thanos for example. But did not quake in fear. Shows his heroic quality right there. Anybody can save the world with powers of those like Superman but Cap saves the world with his skills, shield and grit. As well as his intellect. He is the definition of hero in my book.

kadeem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By kadeem

Neither are the perfect choice for me but of the two I'm going to have to go with Superman.  Unlike Cap, Superman has a much more global view of how we need to help humanity.

ssejllenrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By ssejllenrad
@kadeem said:
" Neither are the perfect choice for me but of the two I'm going to have to go with Superman.  Unlike Cap, Superman has a much more global view of how we need to help humanity. "
Keyword: "Global". America is not the center of the world anyways.. :D I go with Supes.
BatDance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By BatDance
Old Superman was once cool, Reeve could have saved him but he has jumped the shark from over exposure, his super jobber aura is annoying not heroic

Sticking your finger in Darkseid's face and giving him a lecture is lame writing, if the writers want to killing the big D off they should give Superman a spine for once and get him to end it - forever

but they won't, the writers want a guy who lectures everyone, pulls cats from trees and when his not saving granny's cats his annoying everyone by being a superdick

see superdickery 

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

@Cellywyn said:
" To me it's Captain America. He gave his life up to chance when he underwent the Super Soldier program, not knowing what could happen to him, all because he wanted to serve in the military because of his love for his country. In my eyes it's courage and fearlessness that set apart a hero from  regular people whether super powered or not. And to me it's always been something I've respected in Captain America (Steve Rogers, not to underplay Bucky but Steve will always be the true Captain America). "

Cap earned all his power, 

Superman was just born with them
~The Wanderer~

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#14  Edited By ~The Wanderer~
@Precise said:
" I really like both of them, but Supes wins. "
Avatar image for strongestonethereis
StrongestOneThereIs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Superman of course
Avatar image for they_killed_cap_
They Killed Cap!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By They Killed Cap!

I would say Superman...Captain America is big, but not as big amongst none book readers.
kadeem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By kadeem
@BatDance said:
" Old Superman was once cool, Reeve could have saved him but he has jumped the shark from over exposure, his super jobber aura is annoying not heroic

Sticking your finger in Darkseid's face and giving him a lecture is lame writing, if the writers want to killing the big D off they should give Superman a spine for once and get him to end it - forever

but they won't, the writers want a guy who lectures everyone, pulls cats from trees and when his not saving granny's cats his annoying everyone by being a superdick

see superdickery 

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

@Cellywyn said:
" To me it's Captain America. He gave his life up to chance when he underwent the Super Soldier program, not knowing what could happen to him, all because he wanted to serve in the military because of his love for his country. In my eyes it's courage and fearlessness that set apart a hero from  regular people whether super powered or not. And to me it's always been something I've respected in Captain America (Steve Rogers, not to underplay Bucky but Steve will always be the true Captain America). "

Cap earned all his power, 

Superman was just born with them."

I Have to say that when I discovered Superman-Prime, I thought two things.
A. This is the most interesting villain I've seen in a while.
B. Superman is much more interesting as a villain.

I did say that if given a choice between Cap and Supes as a heroic symbol, I would pick Supes and i stand by that.  The other reason I did is because if Captain America were real I think he would be more like the Comedian than he would a hero.
Avatar image for emerald_general_jai
Emerald_General_Jai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 9

Supes. Case closed. 

mattbryce2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By mattbryce2000

Cap. Case re-opened.
robbiesol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By robbiesol

Supes.  Case closed again.
MrDirector786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#21  Edited By MrDirector786

While they are both two of the greatest heroes ever, I go with Superman. He's usually the first thing that comes to mind when I think superhero.

morpheus_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#22  Edited By morpheus_  Moderator
Both are great, and truly inspiring. I would probably give Kal-El a slight edge.
IrishX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#23  Edited By IrishX

Captain America
Primmaster64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Primmaster64

Supes

TerryMcC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#25  Edited By TerryMcC

I would say Superman because he gets used in more political cartoons then Cap and that's sort of a gage of how much that character is in the mind of the general public. 

Which, if you go by that standard would means that Mickey Mouse would beat them both!

Vathers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Vathers
Captain America all the way.  For justice, for freedom, for all who deserve it!!!
dane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#27  Edited By dane

I think it's Captain America for me.

reactor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By reactor

Superman.

IMO, Captain America was more of a war hero mascot or emblem. He's most adamantly recognized during war times, sorta like Uncle Sam. Superman is more of a universal symbol recognized by many nations, and is more rooted in traditional heroism. Because of that, I think Supes is the greater heroic symbol.

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#29  Edited By TheBlueAngel93

Captain America. From World War II to the Super-Human Civil War and to the present, Captain America has stood as a symbol of hope, justice, even when people were hating him during Civil War, when he "died" his symbol lived on, and when he returned, people cryed out for their hope had returned, nothing against Superman, but Cap wasn't born a hero, he didn't even think about being a hero, he saw the evil that was cover the world (Hitler at the time) and knew that he couldn't just sit back in some old factory and do nothing, he stood up against true evil when everyone else was telling him to sit down, he prove to be an icon, comic book inside and out. If that's not a Heroic Symbol, I don't know what is.

girth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#30  Edited By girth
Captain America is both heroic and patriotic.
avwhite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By avwhite
Captain America

He puts far more at risk by being  superhero than Superman is even capable of.
robokungfu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By robokungfu

Superman all the way!  As a man who is a complete orphan in the world he chooses to defend it and everyone within it.  

Vathers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Vathers

God Bless Captain America, it is of course true for many people about the day he died.  I saw so many people crying when I went to college.  Here we are in real life, and a story - an heroic story such as the chronicles of Captain America, brought people to tears at the public announcement of his passing.  Even friends of mine from foreign countries went so far as to write me on messenger and email, is it true the world's hero....  America's finest patriot....  died? 

I have a few emails I saved from when it happened/.

From Mom:

" Son, I don't know if you heard or not but your father told me this morning that Captain America was shot to death.  I think it's sad that at a time like this when America needs all the heroes it can get that the comic creators would do this.  Dear, the publicity is what they needed but your father seems to think that Captain America received a heroes call from the entire nation this morning and it was better for him this way.  When Captain America passed, you know they announced it on FOXNEWS?  They had a panel discuss what it could affect in our economy and if Captain America was actually something Marvel should be penalized for taking away from the American people.  It's kind of silly in a way, he is after all fictional.  The country came to love that man.  I read a few of your father's comics when we were younger and I am devastated that now of all times they would remove him from modern history, though.  If you want your father will be home around 4 this afternoon.  You can give him a call on his cell phone and give him your regards.  He was your father's favorite childhood hero.  I think it would be good for you two guys to reminisce a little."

From Dad:

" Boy.  A few hours ago, the press revealed that the latest issue in the longstanding excellence Captain America came to providing in the comic world - no longer existed.  He was shot down son.  On the footsteps of a courthouse, can you believe how they wrote that?  Our American Dream was blown away at the steps of a Hall of Justice.  You know he died in the hospital soon after, and no one did any thing about it.  While I am heart broken Marvel let  the old Cap go this way.  I understand that it was necessary to garner the honor and respect Captain America deserved over all these years.  It's no surprise the Red Skull was involved.  That bastard!  I wanted to talk to you son about how much it makes me proud you served in the Army like I did.  I love you son, and I want you to know - Captain America will never die as long as we remember what he stood for."

Aunt Cindy:
 [My name is Xavier, not Joshua Vathers.  That's a story character I RPG with sometimes.]
" Xavier,

Your mom called me and told me what happened this morning.  I haven't really ever read a Captain America comic, sorry!  But I am shocked to hear it's affecting so many people and that it affected your father too.  I hope you're doing alright, the news is talking about it like he was an actual person?  I didn't even know he shared his first name with your Uncle.  Or that he had a real name?  I hope things get better for you and all your little friends in school.  How is college anyways?  I heard you have a poster of this Captain America up in your room?  Maybe you should take it down in case your friends come over.  Stephanie seems to feel the same way most of you younger generations feel right now.  She hasn't started crying but she told me a few of her friends have.  It will get better, he's just a comic book character after all.  Surely, since he is supposed to be the greatest hero of all time; that marvel company will bring him back right?  Your mother mentioned you have another girlfriend....."

Uncle Dave:

" Got some strange news this morning on CNN.  Something about Captain America's dead now?  Golly, I remember reading about the old man back when I was in third grade.  Scary stuff most of his adventures, but you couldn't stop turning the pages.  Me and your Uncle Steve used to get our flashlights out and read the comics under a sheet we formed into a tent in our bedroom.  Nowadays, you boys would probably call that gay but it was suspense even for a short book I guess you could say.  Anyway, I heard from your Mom and your Aunt Cindy you and your Dad are taking this pretty seriously.  Your cousin Michelle started crying when she heard the news.  I don't really get how a high school  teenager would give a crap about that guy but I wanted to tell you, someone will bring that old geezer back.  They tried killing him so many times and the world just wouldn't have it.  Trust me, he'll be back in five years.  He's a cash crop worth millions to them.  They won't give him up that easy.  Besides, his sales shot through the roof this weekend.  You can buy backpacks with him on there now. "

From my sister Jessica:

" Oh my god did you hear?  Captain America IS DEAD!  It's all over the front page of the marvel website and it's all over tv!  How's Dad taking it?"

From my brother in law Mike:

" Hey man, I heard Captain America's dead.  I bet they'll probably kill of Spiderman next.  I think it's just another way for those companies to get more money you know what I'm saying.  This makes it easy for them to start new characters and stuff.  Well tell your Dad I said hi, and sorry about the Captain dieing.  He's just a comic book character but I guess even that means something when you watch him for a long time. Kind of like a tv show you don't want to see end.  Your sister got a dog and it..."

Those are all copy paste from emails when it happened.

It's fair enough to say, that didn't happen when Superman died.   =\

Dark King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#34  Edited By Dark King
most world known and accepted? superman.

Captain America kinda screws himself over in front of  the world by being the symbol of America and alienating other nations and their ideals.

people no longer see the early american ideal's and for good reason due to the stuff we have done to the world...

modern american rep kinda over shadows cap's individuality  and forces him to lose points.

overall i think Cap as a person and his ideal's are better then supes but the world doesnt see that when they see a guy in an american flag
Rabbit Tots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Rabbit Tots
@Dark King:
You took my words away. Well said.
Rick475069

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Rick475069
@Cellywyn: That almost made me cry. (^_-)
InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#37  Edited By InnerVenom123

Venom. xD
Crom-Cruach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Crom-Cruach

superman. And to the argument that his invincibility makes him less heroic . the comics have shown how  wrong this is because even when people rob him of every last shred of power he has, he still keeps fighting for what is right. Yes he's godlike, but even when he isn't he still acts like the hero he is supposed to be.

Plus this quote from the man of steel himself:
 Dreams save us. Dreams lift us up and transform us. And on my soul, I swear -- until my dream of a world where dignity, honor and justice becomes the reality we all share -- I'll never stop fighting. Ever.

Avatar image for thejuggernautpunch
TheJuggernautpunch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Both .

Avatar image for captainess_boricua
Captainess Boricua

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Rick475069 said:
" @Cellywyn: That almost made me cry. (^_-) "
Aww.. and here I wanted you to tear up. :P
drkhwk2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By drkhwk2001

I like Cap more but I'll go with Sups on this one, because his name is everywhere, songs, used to describe poeple when heroics are performed, describes a great or euphoric feeling  "I feel like superman"  ect.
IcePrince_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By IcePrince_X

Both but Captain America really symbolizes America unlike Superman he symbolizes the standard superhero

ironshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By ironshadow

you like who you like but let's face it 

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided
AndyKeel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By AndyKeel

Captain America

Avatar image for thejuggernautpunch
TheJuggernautpunch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@drkhwk2001 said:
" I like Cap more but I'll go with Sups on this one, because his name is everywhere, songs, used to describe poeple when heroics are performed, describes a great or euphoric feeling  "I feel like superman"  ect. "
In one song of Disturbed , called "Land Of Confusion" , there is a line : Oh , Superman , where are you now , when everything's gone wrong somehow ?
ms__omega

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By ms__omega
@Cellywyn said:
I completely agree
IcePrince_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By IcePrince_X
@ironshadow said:

No Caption Provided
Christopher Reeve is really the best Superman among the others who played him, looks and character. Tom Welling doesn't look good in the costume though Dean Cain's costume is the best one in terms of color among the rest.

ironshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By ironshadow
@IcePrince_X: actually i'm not really a big fan of supes i don't like his costume  and my favorite is tom welling, true he doesn't look good in that costume but hopefully when they finally give him a costume it will more modern as in no underware  over pants 
Archetype

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Archetype

Superman 

He set the standard for Superheroes and is the clear favorite in this discussion for a reason eventhough many people don't care for him.He's brave, strong, compassionate, and inspirational and he doesn't kill.Captain America does kill granted almost everyone in Marvel kills and when Cap does kill it is usually Nazis but none the less Superman is the pinnacle of heroism.

Avatar image for the_devil_tiger
The Devil Tiger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#50  Edited By The Devil Tiger
@Dark King:
I love Captain America but, alas ! I fear you are right on this. 

Beside of that, Superman represent power with responsibilities, and a compassion that transcend species and nation.