#1 Posted by fil123 (632 posts) - - Show Bio

post probably have been done before but whatever.

to me the greatest most defiant writer has to be grant morrison; the way he wrote batman stories had such a mystery, creepiness and darkness that really captured what batman was all about and i don't think will ever be repeated. I reallly havent read that much of morrison yet (batman and son, batman and reobin run, RIP [fav book], his JLA run) but from what i read no one tops him

honorable mention: Jeph Loeb: Long halloween is my all time favorite batman story and dark victory and hush are up there too. Loeb wrote good detective stories even though batman never figured out the real killer in LH.

and scott snyder: he is really having a great run right now, court of owls and zero year have been great. when its all said and done this man will be a top 3 batman writer of all time (maybe even number one in others opinion).

who is the batman writer for you?

#2 Edited by Battle_Forum_Junkie (9364 posts) - - Show Bio

Grant Morrison, IMHO.

#3 Posted by Jphu8414 (3959 posts) - - Show Bio

Nice, I basically agreed with everything you said-Grant Morrison is the best Batman writer IMO

But I suppose you also have to give mention to people like Frank Miller, and Dennis O' Neil

#4 Edited by The Stegman (27179 posts) - - Show Bio

Loeb, simply cause Long Halloween is my favorite Batman story.

#5 Posted by Imagine_Man15 (1801 posts) - - Show Bio

Gotta' be Grant Morrison, with the exception of Batman Incorporated which I just couldn't get into.

#6 Posted by TheGrayGhost (1678 posts) - - Show Bio

morrison's run: best ever

miller's year one: greatest ever STORY

miller's TDKR: most INFLUENTIAL story

snyders run: most consistently good so far

best batman writer?

dini and timn for their interpretation in BTAS

#7 Edited by JulieDC (1125 posts) - - Show Bio

For me, its Chuck Dixon because he incorporated the Bat-family in his work on Detective as well as wrote for most of them in their solos too. That is probably why the 90s Bat-family crossovers were so good compared to the 2000s. I'd even go as far as to say he is the man that modernized the Bat-family when you consider that before the last few arcs of Knightfall, Nightwing had barely made much of an appearance in a Bat-book since his departure as Robin. As for Grant Morrison, I am one of those people that hate his Batman saga. I just didn't like the changes he made, or the characters he created and I am not into his writing style. His stories just weren't my cup of tea. I do like Snyder's Batman stuff when he was writing for Dick-Bats. I haven't read New 52 Batman yet since I am currently not reading New 52 so I can't judge Snyder's current run.

#8 Posted by dagmar_merrill (11291 posts) - - Show Bio

Grant Morrison.

#9 Posted by Manwhohaseverything (2220 posts) - - Show Bio

I still think it was Steve Englehart. Few runs in a character's history actually change the way the character is viewed. Englehart did that with his Detective run in the 70's. I think that's the Batman that BTAS borrowed. It's when Batman started to become the "Dark Knight". It's a historical run that doesn't get enough love. The O'Neil/Adams run earlier was great for redefining the villains. That's when the Joker became the whack-o he's been since. Recently, I think it's the present writer, Scott Snyder.

#10 Posted by jackbensley777 (688 posts) - - Show Bio

morriso n or any loeb stuff, big hush guy

#11 Posted by TimeLordScience (1498 posts) - - Show Bio

Grant Morrison. He really has a great understanding of what Batman means, probably on a higher level than any other author. To me it's pretty apparent in Batman R.I.P.

#12 Edited by Cloakx14 (4289 posts) - - Show Bio

scott synder !

#13 Posted by SilverPool (2569 posts) - - Show Bio

I love Morrison's R.I.P and everything leading up to it so I have to say him.
Snyder is my second favorite, Black Mirror is my favorite Batman story, and I really enjoy his work on Joker and creation of the Court of Owls.

#14 Posted by LyraFay (2536 posts) - - Show Bio

I like Loeb, his stories for Batman were great Batman detective stories with a dash of noir and horror.

#15 Posted by SOG7dc (8754 posts) - - Show Bio

Me

#16 Edited by fil123 (632 posts) - - Show Bio

@juliedc: you have to get the court of owls trade, easily one of the top 5 batman arcs

#17 Edited by redleader1 (686 posts) - - Show Bio

Dixon and Snyder the really have understood the bat and the entire legend part more than anything. And Dixon was good cause he really found a balance not to much gore and death but enough to make the villians threatening.

#18 Edited by MatteoPG (1927 posts) - - Show Bio

I hated Morrison, but then again, I almost never like his stuff. After Final Crisis, particularly. I can't remember a writer that had me consinstently say "wow, this story is great". All writers had good and bad times. I am actually enjoying Snyder's work very much. It has a distinctive touch.

#19 Posted by cattlebattle (13672 posts) - - Show Bio

Denny O' Neil.

#20 Posted by batman922 (268 posts) - - Show Bio

I have to agree with you about Morrison, R.I.P. was one of the first Batman graphic novels I read when I started reading comics and it was awesome, there are other good Batman stories but nothing has lived up to it yet.

#21 Posted by Battle_Forum_Junkie (9364 posts) - - Show Bio
#22 Edited by Omnicrono (2454 posts) - - Show Bio

As it stands, I don't currently have a definitive favorite. Snyder is quickly becoming so though. He shows that he understands the character of Batman and his motives, and his consistency in writing great story after great story is incredible.

I didn't like Morrison's writing style (i.e. the actual way he composed and told the stories), but I did like his take on Batman's character/personality probably more than any other writer's. If his writing was not so much of a chore to get through at times, he would be my favorite Batman writer.

#23 Posted by EmeraldEagle (196 posts) - - Show Bio

Morrison for sure, his Batman has been the definitive Batman for me for about 5 or 6 years now

#24 Posted by spidermonkey2099 (615 posts) - - Show Bio

My top 5:

1. Paul Dini

2. Scott Snyder

3. Jeph Loeb

4. Frank Miller (for year one and tdkr)

5. Dennis O'Neil

#25 Posted by leezju92 (45 posts) - - Show Bio

Scott Snyder, Paul Dini, and Frank Miller.

#26 Posted by lamdaddy20 (518 posts) - - Show Bio

I think Scott Snyder is my favorite writer so far.

Frank Miller is probably second for writing TDKR and Year One

Jeph Loeb third for TLH, Dark Victory, and hush

I don't really like how Morrison wrote Batman, it was a little confusing and weird for me. I liked how he wrote Batman's personality.

#27 Posted by Skit (3125 posts) - - Show Bio

Morrison, Dini and Miller have had the most stand out interpitations imo.

#28 Posted by kfabz-23 (1201 posts) - - Show Bio

Scott snyder

#29 Posted by ULTRAstarkiller (6907 posts) - - Show Bio

Morrison, Dini and Snyder.

#30 Posted by SOG7dc (8754 posts) - - Show Bio

Goeff Johns

#31 Posted by RustyRoy (14592 posts) - - Show Bio

Morrison easily.

#32 Posted by judasnixon (7592 posts) - - Show Bio

Kevin Smith...... (Runs away laughing)

#33 Posted by TheIncredibleSuperHulk8642 (2178 posts) - - Show Bio

Jeph Loeb

Grant Morrison

Scott Snyder

Peter J. Tomasi

Paul Dini

#34 Posted by BumpyBoo (11119 posts) - - Show Bio

Kevin Smith...... (Runs away laughing)

>:P

#35 Posted by Xwraith (23236 posts) - - Show Bio

Well, Loeb wrote Hush, and that's my favorite Batman story.

#36 Edited by Teerack (7970 posts) - - Show Bio

Pre-senile Frank Miller.

#37 Posted by DrFate (2616 posts) - - Show Bio

It's either Frank Miller or Chuck Dixon.

Frank Miller's Year One and The Dark Knight Returns are two of the best stories about Batman ever made, and TDKR is the best graphic novel ever as for me.

Chuck Dixon due to Knighfall wich i love and hail

#38 Posted by Jayc1324 (14694 posts) - - Show Bio

Grant Morrison. Was going to give it to Frank Miller, for having a part in defining who the current batman is as a character, But Morrison has played a part in that too, and has consistently written deep, complex, amazing bat stories, even going all the way back to Gothic and Arkham Asylum.

After those two, Scott Snyder.

#39 Edited by JediXMan (31679 posts) - - Show Bio

Grant Morrison. Arkham Asylum and his Batman run are fantastic.