Who has better stories, Avengers or Justice League?

• 60 results
Avatar image for deactivated-5fbfd5d291164
deactivated-5fbfd5d291164

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 74

User Lists: 7

Poll Who has better stories, Avengers or Justice League? (92 votes)

Avengers 29%
Justice League 71%

Apologies if this has been done before, I couldn't find it. I was just curious who has better stories? I know Avengers has, Kree/Skrull War, Under Siege and Korvac saga and no Justice League stories come to mind that are great Justice League stories..

• 

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bump

PapiNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By PapiNacho

Justice League has Grant Morrison's run and the beginning of Mark Waid's. Additionally the JLI stuff if you count it.

Avatar image for rulerofthisuniverse
RulerOfThisUniverse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

JL.

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Justice League of America.

Blackdog2009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

JLA . From Forever Evil just work your way backwards dude. And if you count the Animated universe stories... Well... no contest.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 the_stegman  Moderator

JL imo.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

JLA . From Forever Evil just work your way backwards dude. And if you count the Animated universe stories... Well... no contest.

I wasn't counting the animated show.

Emperorb777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

JL

Experio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Tie

Blackdog2009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Blackdog2009
fil123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

grant morrison and mark waids run...

identity crisis

Jphu8414

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

I have personally found Justice League stories to be better in my opinion

There are many of them, just search it up

Avatar image for ultrastarkiller
ULTRAstarkiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

Kingdom Come...nuff said.

bob808

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Justice League

BlackLegRaph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By BlackLegRaph

Reading JLA stories for hours in the public library because I'm too cheap to buy comics (or any other books for that matter) were some of the best moments of my teenage life. The Avengers ones weren't as memorable.

Avatar image for deranged_midget
Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 4

Currently, Justice League is better.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I enjoy the Avengers more as a team(More characters that I like), so I'll go with them. Not huge on their current run though.

Jonez_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Justice League.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By RustyRoy

JLA

kriminal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i cant read avenger comics. I don't know why. but never miss an issue of justice league.

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

#21  Edited By Fallschirmjager

Don't really like the Avengers as a team. Find the characters far more interesting on their own with their own supporting casts.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 the_stegman  Moderator

Reading JLA stories for hours in the public library because I'm too cheap to buy comics (or any other books for that matter) were some of the best moments of my teenage life. The Avengers ones weren't as memorable.

I still read comics in the library, saves tons of cheddar.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

I can remember way more Justice League stories than I can Avengers stories so I'll definitely side with the JLA here. Morrison, Kelly and Waid's respective runs were the golden years of JLA stories and DC stories in general IMO.

Veshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#24  Edited By Veshark

@lvenger said:

I can remember way more Justice League stories than I can Avengers stories so I'll definitely side with the JLA here. Morrison, Kelly and Waid's respective runs were the golden years of JLA stories and DC stories in general IMO.

Yeah, probably this. I mean I love the Avengers and all, but I can't say I've read much of their stuff. I do want to look into their acclaimed runs though, e.g. Busiek and Englehart. And while I have enjoyed Hickman's current run, I don't hold it as dear as Morrison's JLA.

Speaking of, Waid's JLA run? Not a fan. I spent a long time trying to figure out why it wasn't clicking with me, and then I finally got it: He made the League too human.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

#25  Edited By Lvenger

@veshark: Let me guess, Tower of Babel? I'll admit, the humanisation can sometimes go too far but Waid had an expert handle on the DC characterisation process. The stories were always engaging and handled exactly how the characters should react. I don't see the problem of making the League too human when, at the end of the day, it's their humanity that makes them the heroes they are. And Waid is one of the best writers to identify that.

Veshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger said:

@veshark: Let me guess, Tower of Babel? I'll admit, the humanisation can sometimes go too far but Waid had an expert handle on the DC characterisation process. The stories were always engaging and handled exactly how the characters should react. I don't see the problem of making the League too human when, at the end of the day, it's their humanity that makes them the heroes they are. And Waid is one of the best writers to identify that.

Ehh, Tower of Babel was a small part of it. This arc was probably my favorite of Waid's tenure. But see, my take is: It's perfectly fine to write fully-fleshed and human heroes. That has its own merit and Waid is one of the leading lights in this regard. But what just didn't jive with me was that he did it while writing Justice League of America.

Under Morrison's pen, the League had its clashes, but the character interactions were not the focus of the title. The focus of the title was on big-scope and ambitious superhero plots starring the most-professional veteran heroes of the DCU (Um, sans Kyle). When I read the JLA, I don't want to read about its members having disagreements that take up the whole plot. I don't mind seeing those types of character interactions in their own books. But in the JLA? I don't care for that at all.

What I want in the JLA is what Morrison did. There's a threat, the whole world is in danger, and then the JL comes in and solves the problem like the professionals that they are. They argue with one another occasionally, but at the end of the day, they're all pros. This isn't the X-Men or the New Avengers or the FF, where in-fighting and drama are part of the book. This is the Justice League: where everyone knows what they have to do and they do it without messing around. Because they're the best of the best.

It's also why I didn't care for Meltzer's or Johns' runs on the title. Humanization and deep character work is fine for other team books, but for the League, I want that to take a backseat to widescreen stories and efficient superhero work.

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 14

#27 frozen  Moderator

@veshark: Waid's the best DC writer; Kingdom Come, Birthright, Chain Lightning, etc.

Veshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frozen said:

@veshark: Waid's the best DC writer; Kingdom Come, Birthright, Chain Lightning, etc.

Ehh, Morrison's got my vote. All-Star Superman, JLA, and his Batman run are all up there. Waid's cool though. I like his Cap stuff.

MonsterStomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I liked when Spider-Man was in the Avengers. He's like the Barry Allen and Hal. Actually no he isn't. But he does lighten the mood a tad.

MonsterStomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@blacklegraph said:

I still read comics in the library, saves tons of cheddar.

I haven't been to a library that has comic books. How lame.

og_sin1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Damn. I just hate how the avengers are practically frowned upon by people. I mean I in my opinion think that the avengers work better as a team than the justice league. The avengers have this chemistry about them and I love the JL but they have no dynamic when it comes down to it. I mean come on when was the last time you saw the justice leaguers in their moon base just hanging out? Not to mention the fact that the avengers are basically just normal people who are genetically enhanced or has great tech (minus thor) and they defeat remarkable foes, to me that says an awful lot. Also the Justice league have: 2 aliens, a rich guy with issues, an amazon princess, a space cop, a speedster, a cyborg and an atlantean. It doesn't help knowing that they are powerful and will always win, but with the avengers you sometimes just can't tell. So I vote avengers

Avatar image for thesilentripper
TheSilentRipper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@og_sin1 said:

Damn. I just hate how the avengers are practically frowned upon by people. I mean I in my opinion think that the avengers work better as a team than the justice league. The avengers have this chemistry about them and I love the JL but they have no dynamic when it comes down to it. I mean come on when was the last time you saw the justice leaguers in their moon base just hanging out? Not to mention the fact that the avengers are basically just normal people who are genetically enhanced or has great tech (minus thor) and they defeat remarkable foes, to me that says an awful lot. Also the Justice league have: 2 aliens, a rich guy with issues, an amazon princess, a space cop, a speedster, a cyborg and an atlantean. It doesn't help knowing that they are powerful and will always win, but with the avengers you sometimes just can't tell. So I vote avengers

but this is about stories, not team interaction

VoloErgoMalus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By VoloErgoMalus

@veshark: I agree. The Justice League's value rests in kitchen sink spectacle. Justice League adventures should reflect the makeup of the team: many different genres glued together. They're not meant to be social commentary like the X-men or a family soap opera like the FF. They're more like an action movie that ends with all the characters parting ways and returning to their actual personal issues.

For this and similar reasons, I think the Justice League and in some cases the Avengers must take a route to success as a comic fundamentally different from that of teams like the FF and X-men. The Justice League needs aesthetics far more than exegesis to be successful, so it benefits from imaginative writing and Howard Porter/Bryan Hitch madness.

Drmagic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jl

Guru_Crack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 559

Justice League imo.

Leatherface003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Leatherface003

JL no contest...Kingdom Come,Flashpoint Paradox,Crisis on Infinite earths,Tower of babel, Final Crisis, Forever Evil, Throne of Atlantis and although it's technically not JL storyline but all DC universe was impacted so I will consider Blackest Night.

Heatblaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Both.

SilverPool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frozen: I have to agree. KC and Birthright are prolly my fav DC books.

Avatar image for deactivated-64456b84cf5e8
deactivated-64456b84cf5e8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

Justice League for me. As much as I may prefer the Avengers more at times and just enjoy the dynamic with them a bit more, they became relevant in the late 90s. Before that they had a few good stories here and there but they weren't in the limelight, so it feels like the creators weren't really trying their best.

As for the JL, you have at least 5 writers' runs which you can look back to and pick a story or two from each one. Yes, they all have essential JL stories.

Clean_Uniform

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Even though I'm a die hard Marvel fan even I can say I enjoy the most Justice League stories better than the Avengers.

Avatar image for deactivated-64456b84cf5e8
deactivated-64456b84cf5e8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As much as I have liked Hickman's run, I have barely remembered any iconic stories from Avengers. Justice League has enticed me from team dynamics, rogues to the versatility of characters in most of the comic book runs. It's not only Morrison's run but Giffen, Waid, Johns had separately built some of the most iconic comics of all time even excluding Superman and Batman. Not to mention they also have DCAU too.

anthp2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 anthp2000  Moderator

The Justice League, by far.

jb681131

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dagmar_merrill: Well with the Justice League you have lots of memorable runs and story, while the Avengers you don't has many stories/runs or they are less memorable or don't concern the Avengers that much.

Justice League:

• Crisis On Multiple Earths
  • Crisis On Infinit Earths
  • DC: Legends
  • Justice League International
  • Zero Hour: Crisis In Time
  • JLA - by Grant Morrision & Mark Waid then others
  • Identity Crisis + Infinit Crisis + Final Crisis - by Geoff Johns
  • Justice League New52 + Forever Evil - by Geoff Johns
  • DC Univers Rebirth
  • Doomsday Clock
  • Dark Nights: Metal + Justice League: No Justice + Justice League by Scott Snyder + Justice League: Doom War - all by Scott Snyder

Avengers:

• Secret Wars
  • Infinity Quest + Infinity Gauntlet + Infinity War + Infinity Cruissade - Jim Starlin
  • Avengers Forever - by Kurt Busiek
  • Avengers Disassemble + New Avengers - by Brian Micheal Bendis
  • House of M
  • Civil War - by Mark Millar
  • Secret Invasion
  • Avengers vs. X-Men
  • Avenger World / Avengers / New Avengers - by Jonathan Hickman and others
  • Avenger: Time Runs Out
  • Secret War
RBT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Definitely Justice League.

ChaosHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd say Justice League has better stories than the Avengers, but Marvel in general has better stories than DC

stormshadow_x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 22

#48 stormshadow_x  Online

JL.

The best Avengers story aren't even really centered around them lol.

Ghostodoofus2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Ghostodoofus2

Justice League by far!! I read all issues of JLA, it's so good.