Who has been more influential? Batman or Spider-man?

• 52 results
Avatar image for symbioticspider-man
SymbioticSpider-Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

This isn't a "who is the better hero" blog, by the way. Obviously I would say Spider-man.

These two are definitely two of the most popular superheroes ever created, maybe even more so than even Superman. But which one has been the more influential?

Noteworthy Spider-man influences

-He was the one who started the long line of Comic Book Movie block busters when Comic Book Movies weren't received very well at the time (The movie Spider-man (2002) started this, then Spider-man 2)

-He changed comics to something more than just sh!ts and giggles (The Night That Gwen Stacy Died)

-He starred in very popular TV shows such as Spider-man (60s) Spectacular Spider-man, and Spider-man: The Animated Series

Noteworthy Batman influences

-Set the bar high for superhero films with The Dark Knight trilogy

-He starred in very popular TV shows such as Batman (60s) and Batman: The Animated Series

-He starred in the very popular Arkham video game series

What do you guys think?

Personally, I would still say Spider-man has been the more influential character. He's been changing the public's view of superheroes ever since he started, while Batman's been doing it a bit later (starting in the 90s with Batman: The Animated series).

Avatar image for amazing_webhead
amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 20

Well I'd say Batman is more widely referenced by popular culture

Avatar image for firestormfate1919
FirestormFate1919

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Batman undoutably. No one but Superman has nearly his impact on pop culture. I doubt there is anyone who doesn't know who Batman is.

Avatar image for deactivated-579ecfa921bb2
deactivated-579ecfa921bb2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Batman

Avatar image for deactivated-5fbfd5d291164
deactivated-5fbfd5d291164

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 74

User Lists: 7

Well I'd say Batman is more widely referenced by popular culture

PotatoBaron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Dark Knight Returns along with Watchmen basically started the entire 90's style of dark n' gritty comics. I would have to give to Batman to that plus his role in making Superhero movies a genre that can be taken seriously and win awards.

Impervious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By Impervious

Batman

Avatar image for deactivated-60600b79ed2c5
deactivated-60600b79ed2c5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

The All Father.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Batman. 60's TV series is probably the most popular superhero TV series. Burton's movies had a huge impact, JS's movie were also impactful but not in a good way, Nolan's trilogy also had very huge impacts. Aside from Arkham series Batman has two more popular gaming franchises - Lego and Injustice(Injustice had 80% Batman characters and will be getting a sequel soon). BTAS is probably the most impactful animated superhero show yet and Batman also appeared in Batman B&tB, JL/JLU, The Batman. TDKR is probably the most impactful comics aside Watchmen and AC #1. The Killing Joke, Year One, Arkham Asylum are also very influential.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He also the first superhero to get a animated theatrical movie, and with Lego will become the only superhero to have two theatrical animated movies(3 if you consider Lego movie)

Boynerdgeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It is Spider-man to be honest. Spidey is more influential

Meanwhile Batman is copy and paste elements from other characters. For example Golden Age Batman is copy paste from The Shadow. Then in modern age, Frank Miller makes Batman darker but before he write Batman, he write Daredevil. So thanks to Daredevil, Batman become darker. Also Batman become more badass thanks to Chris Claremot success making Wolverine main star in X-men

Spambot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Spambot

Batman in pretty much every possible way I would say. More characters/villains based off of his skill set, more defining story arcs which influenced the industry as a whole. More ubiquitous in pop culture at large. Had the 89 movie which renewed Hollywood's interest in the genre and the much more acclaimed trilogy in modern cbm's. Just all around a much bigger influence in both comics and culture imo.

J_Jonzz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would say spiderman it seems to me that he is more relatable to most people

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

Superman

SuperDrummer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Worldwide: batman

In my life: Spidey

Avatar image for theamazingbatman760
TheAmazingBatman760

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Batman hands down is more influential from his stories his movies his games and his shows. (not Gotham)

ScouterV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By ScouterV

Batman undoutably. No one but Superman has nearly his impact on pop culture. I doubt there is anyone who doesn't know who Batman is.

Same could be said for Spider-Man though.

I gotta say Spidey. I think, because a lot of writers and people in the industry can take more from the life and personality of Parker than Wayne, and consider his popularity, I think Spidey takes it by a nose.

69ball-z-deep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

everyone already knows its Spiderman.

DrF8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

The most influencial characters in the world are : BATMAN & SUPERMAN. Although Spiderman stands somewhere right behind them.

Batman is probably the most well-known comic book ( or even pop culture ) character in the world. He is the one selling the most books, games & movies. Tim Burton's Batman & Batman Returns started the trend that Superhero movies can be adult movies that can win awards & stuff like that. Nolan's Trilogy set the CBM bar so high, that "The Dark Knight" is wisely considered as one of the best movies ever made ( and not only by the comic book fans ). Frank Miller's "The Dark Knight Returns" & Alan Moore's "Watchmen" has started all of the "dark & griitty" trend in comic books and pop culture.

Superman...HE OŚ THE ONE THAT STARTED IT ALL. You guys know were Batman or Spiderman or any other superhero would be without Superman? Nowhere. They wouldn't even be created. He is the first Superhero( as we understand it in todays world ) ever created. His "S" symbol is probably the most recognizable superhero sybmbol on earth.

Im not saying that Batman or Superman are better than Spidey...i love Spiderman. But they are as hell more influencial.

69ball-z-deep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

everyone already knows its Spiderman.

Avatar image for transformers1024
Transformers1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Batman in pop culture.

Spider-man in my own life.

ariesxmasters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Both.

Jack Donaghy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@j_jonzz said:

I would say spiderman it seems to me that he is more relatable to most people

Superman is more influential than Spider-Man and every other comic book character for that matter and he isn't considered all that relatable by most people. So being relatable doesn't really matter in this case if it was Magneto would be more influential than the Joker and he clearly isn't.

Tyger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Tyger
@drfate said:

The most influencial characters in the world are : BATMAN & SUPERMAN. Although Spiderman stands somewhere right behind them.

Batman is probably the most well-known comic book ( or even pop culture ) character in the world. He is the one selling the most books, games & movies. Tim Burton's Batman & Batman Returns started the trend that Superhero movies can be adult movies that can win awards & stuff like that. Nolan's Trilogy set the CBM bar so high, that "The Dark Knight" is wisely considered as one of the best movies ever made ( and not only by the comic book fans ). Frank Miller's "The Dark Knight Returns" & Alan Moore's "Watchmen" has started all of the "dark & griitty" trend in comic books and pop culture.

Superman...HE OŚ THE ONE THAT STARTED IT ALL. You guys know were Batman or Spiderman or any other superhero would be without Superman? Nowhere. They wouldn't even be created. He is the first Superhero( as we understand it in todays world ) ever created. His "S" symbol is probably the most recognizable superhero sybmbol on earth.

Im not saying that Batman or Superman are better than Spidey...i love Spiderman. But they are as hell more influencial.

No, he doesn't.

http://www.blastr.com/2014-11-14/comic-hero-earns-more-licensing-avengers-batman-and-superman-combined

And no he wasn't. He was just a circus strongman (granted, with Hercules level of strength) wearing an acrobat's outfit, and was preceded by quite a few 'superheros' in pulp magazines. (Flash Gordon and Phantom to name 2).

(Though Tim Burton DID do a great job bringing life to the Superhero genre after Superman 3 & 4 nearly buried it... but Batman also nearly buried it after Burton left.)

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

So on hand we have people saying Batman and giving reasons,on the other we have people saying not Batman and giving reasons(some of which are outright dumb and reek of bias but whatever),Spider-Man lies forgotten,the answer is rather obvious I think.

lxlGiftedlxl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I say both are influential. Both are highly popular and both are my Favorite Characters of all time.

Spider-Man: Because he is super relatable.

Batman: Because he represents what humans can be through hard work and determination.

johnfrank120

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Batman

Blackdog2009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DrF8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#28  Edited By DrF8

@tyger: this link you gave here doesn't have the right information. Both "Avengers" & "The Dark Knight Rises" made over a bilion dollars world wide. And what i ment by that is that Batman has by far more movies than any other superhero.

I knwo about these characters. But Superman is the one superhero that had REAL superpowers ( faster than a locomotive etc ). And this is the truth. I wasn't saying that Action Comics started the whole comic book super hero genre. Because it hadn't. But it did start the genre that we know now. Almost every superhero has his own unique powers, has some sort of abilities. And although Phatom Stranger, Flash Gordon & Diabolik had alot of abilities theye were not the superheros we know now. Superman started it.

Also, Superman's powers were not limited to just his strength. He was faster than a locomotive, he could jump a tall building with just one leap, he was invulnerable.

Do you want to tell me that Spiderman is more infuencial than Superman?

lamdaddy20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Batman, but not by a lot. He raised the bars for CBMs (TDK Trilogy), making it one of the most critically acclaimed movie trilogies. Along with Watchmen, The Dark Knight Returns basically made comic books legitimate forms of literature and proved they weren't just for kids. He has the best games (Arkham games), and outside of Superman, he is probably the most recognized superhero on Earth.

Homer_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Batman

Gracetrack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like Spider-Man as much as the next guy, but the answer is Batman. Though I do believe that Spidey is the only superhero in comics who rivals the global popularity and esteem of Superman and Batman.

Saint_Sophie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Saint_Sophie

Batman..

TBH I find that I can relate to Spidey more.

Guru_Crack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 559

#33  Edited By Guru_Crack
Avatar image for battle_forum_junkie
Battle_Forum_Junkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Batman is more prevalent in pop culture, no doubt. But, as far as how influential the characters have been, I'd say it's pretty even.

Spider-man challenged the misconception that comics where only read by children, appealing to a more mature audience. Later Batman helped take it a big step further, proving that comics could be a legitimate form of literature.

Tyger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@drfate said:

@tyger: this link you gave here doesn't have the right information. Both "Avengers" & "The Dark Knight Rises" made over a bilion dollars world wide. And what i ment by that is that Batman has by far more movies than any other superhero.

I knwo about these characters. But Superman is the one superhero that had REAL superpowers ( faster than a locomotive etc ). And this is the truth. I wasn't saying that Action Comics started the whole comic book super hero genre. Because it hadn't. But it did start the genre that we know now. Almost every superhero has his own unique powers, has some sort of abilities. And although Phatom Stranger, Flash Gordon & Diabolik had alot of abilities theye were not the superheros we know now. Superman started it.

Also, Superman's powers were not limited to just his strength. He was faster than a locomotive, he could jump a tall building with just one leap, he was invulnerable.

Do you want to tell me that Spiderman is more infuencial than Superman?

The Shadow, Hercules, Achiles, Samson, Gilgamesh, Baron Münchhausen, and Paul Bunyan might disagree.

The fact is, none of these were the superheroes we know now. The genre influenced them as much as they've influence the genre (if not more.)

As far as Spider-Man being more influential, not necessarily. But he did save the industry. Comet and Beepo and Ace and Bat-Mite nearly killed it with silly, and suddenly this small publication on the side had a new hit, and caused one of the first 'reboots', getting rid of a lot of the 'pet' superheroes, at least for a while...

Leatherface003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Most influential character in Comic Book history is Superman, you people can hate this fact but it is true, without him modern comic book world as we know it wouldn't be here.

and for Batman and Spiderman.You are comparing a God against a Man.

SymbioticSpider-Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Most influential character in Comic Book history is Superman, you people can hate this fact but it is true, without him modern comic book world as we know it wouldn't be here.

and for Batman and Spiderman.You are comparing a God against a Man.

'course I don't hate Supes. I love the guy. I was just asking which between Batsy and Spidey do you guys think was more influential.

Strider1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

Both of them are equally influential just in different respects.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tyger said:
@drfate said:

No, he doesn't.

http://www.blastr.com/2014-11-14/comic-hero-earns-more-licensing-avengers-batman-and-superman-combined

And no he wasn't. He was just a circus strongman (granted, with Hercules level of strength) wearing an acrobat's outfit, and was preceded by quite a few 'superheros' in pulp magazines. (Flash Gordon and Phantom to name 2).

(Though Tim Burton DID do a great job bringing life to the Superhero genre after Superman 3 & 4 nearly buried it... but Batman also nearly buried it after Burton left.)

The guy did mention only movies, games and comics and not merch. Even when you consider merch, it's only after Disney acquired Spidey the gap became large, before that the difference wasn't big. Disney has their own store, ships more products, if Disney had Batman he'd be selling nearly as much as Spider-Man. Although WB is trying to close the gap, the new CEO of WB said that they'll make new stores around the world and ship more licensed products. With the popularity of Lego movie and games, Arkham games and the upcoming DCCU movies Batman might be able to catch up to Spidey.

DBVSE7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@strider92: Exactly. I think popularity and influence are being confused here.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It is Spider-man to be honest. Spidey is more influential

Meanwhile Batman is copy and paste elements from other characters. For example Golden Age Batman is copy paste from The Shadow. Then in modern age, Frank Miller makes Batman darker but before he write Batman, he write Daredevil. So thanks to Daredevil, Batman become darker. Also Batman become more badass thanks to Chris Claremot success making Wolverine main star in X-men

Frank Miller didn't make Batman darker... O'Neil did. And I don't see the Wolverine and Batman connection, they are two different kinds of badasses, in fact Batman got more in common with Cyclops than Wolverine. Also nearly every Superhero was inspired by some other character, he is a lot different than Shadow now and has been for many years.

Mrnoital

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

-He was the one who started the long line of Comic Book Movie block busters when Comic Book Movies weren't received very well at the time (The movie Spider-man (2002) started this, then Spider-man 2)

X-Men did that in 2000, Spidey just followed in their footsteps

Leatherface003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@symbioticspider-man: I am not saying you do. but most people does specially here.

and between Bats and Spidey, I have answered that.of course I don't hate Spidey he is great but I believe in Marvel Cap and Daredevil by far most influential..

SymbioticSpider-Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrnoital said:

X-Men did that in 2000, Spidey just followed in their footsteps

I still don't get why people say that. Just because X-men came first doesn't mean it was what started these block busters. Spider-man made much more money. More people watched Spider-man. More people liked Spider-man. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the X-men films, and I feel like X-men 1 is a bit underrated, but Spider-man was really the one who started this.

Mrnoital

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@symbioticspider-man: cause it was still a major movie that started an arguably bigger franchise, and adjusting for price inflation it made more money than DOFP

SymbioticSpider-Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrnoital: It still didn't make as much as Spider-man, nor was it the more popular movie.

Mrnoital

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@symbioticspider-man: it still started the entire "super hero movies being popular" weather you want to believe it or not

MasterKungFu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

in a positive sense spider-man has. he has gotten more and more liked over the years

in a negative sense batman has. he has gotten more and more hated over the years

Jimishim12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sadly Spidey is competing with Ironman and Deadpool as the most popular Marvel hero nowadays when he used to be the undisputed king of the Marvel franchise.

Also Spidey may not be as famous and casual as Bats but he is a money maker surpassing him in toys and young childrens products. Therefore Spidey is more catered to kids than Batman.

BatmanandRobin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Between the two obviously the caped crusader helped create what spidey is as a street wise yet humanly amazing hero. Batman is bigger than spidey because he lingers on to adults more than spidey does who is aimed for children and teens but will eventually grow out of him.