Posted by SuperKnott (1 posts) - - Show Bio

Personally I feel that Peter Parker's Uncle Ben had much more of an impact on him than Bruce Wayne's parents dying. I dont believe Bruce was old enough to fully understand the real impact that it supposedly caused and made him The Batman. Peter Parker on the other hand was a high school teenager and ultimately it was HIS fault that Uncle Ben was killed. I believe that fueled his fire. Bruce on the other hand was 8 years old.

#1 Posted by JediXMan (31206 posts) - - Show Bio

Peter still had Aunt May. He was also older - I'm not saying it's less sad, but dealing with death is a little easier when you're older. When you're a child, it's a lot harder. So Bruce.

#2 Posted by End_Boss (738 posts) - - Show Bio

I would say they are largely the same. In their own ways, both of those occurrences informed the creation of the hero. I guess you could say Wayne got it a bit rougher, what with him losing both of his biological parents in a violent fashion and in one go, but it's largely irrelevant.

#3 Posted by satyrgod (2115 posts) - - Show Bio

Since one's response to any stressor is highly subjective, it would be the individuals involved, not the observers, who could determine that sort of distinction.

#4 Posted by Timandm (3374 posts) - - Show Bio

@SuperKnott said:

Personally I feel that Peter Parker's Uncle Ben had much more of an impact on him than Bruce Wayne's parents dying. I dont believe Bruce was old enough to fully understand the real impact that it supposedly caused and made him The Batman. Peter Parker on the other hand was a high school teenager and ultimately it was HIS fault that Uncle Ben was killed. I believe that fueled his fire. Bruce on the other hand was 8 years old.

Well...

1. Bruce Wayne SAW, actually witnessed, his parents being murdered. He saw them shot.. He saw them fall... He watched them bleed out... - Peter 'heard' about his Uncle being killed.
  2. Bruce lost BOTH of his parents....Peter lost his Uncle but still had Aunt May.
  3. Regarding the impact it had.... Bruce was a young boy at the time, yet the murder of his parents changed the entire course of his life. He molded himself into The Batman. Peter was already Spider-Man. He wasn't the Spider-Man we know today, but he had spider powers already. Peter had the power to immediately go after the one who murdered Uncle Ben; Bruce Wayne had to wait many years....

Now, just to be clear, Spider-Man is my favorite comic book super hero. The death of uncle Ben absolutely affected him and changed him; fortunately, for the better, but he likely would have become a good and decent super-hero even if Uncle Ben hadn't died... I say this, because Peter Parker was already a good and decent person at heart. and he already had spider powers...

Bruce Wayne, on the other hand, if his parents hadn't been murdered, would have grown up as the pampered son of billionaires... Would he have become a crime fighter? Not likely.

#5 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio

Bruce's, undoubtedly.  

Uncle Ben's death changed who Peter was, but it doesn't define him.  

Bruce Wayne's parents' murder defined and irrevocably altered Bruce forever. It is the most important moment of his life.