#1 Posted by thedarkknight9283 (61 posts) - - Show Bio

Thread says it all. Man of Steel was the first Superman movie I liked.

Tim Burton's Batman, while I admit are flawed, are FAR superior to Superman and Superman II. I feel that way because I'm a huge Batman fan, and all of the previous Superman movies sucked.

Superman: The Movie is so horribly dated, boring, and campy.

#2 Posted by Guardian_of_Gravity (2979 posts) - - Show Bio

I will admit that the Richard Donner movies didn't age quite as well as the Burton films. They're very much products of their time.

Funnily enough, the Superman quartet's history mirrors the Batman quadrilogy's almost exactly.

A massively successful critically acclaimed intro, a second more iffy but still good one that got the original director booted off in favor of a "safer" one, a third movie which was very much hit or miss, and a fourth unspeakably terrible one.

#3 Posted by Wolverine08 (42081 posts) - - Show Bio

#4 Posted by Fallschirmjager (17381 posts) - - Show Bio

I will admit that the Richard Donner movies didn't age quite as well as the Burton films. They're very much products of their time.

Funnily enough, the Superman quartet's history mirrors the Batman quadrilogy's almost exactly.

A massively successful critically acclaimed intro, a second more iffy but still good one that got the original director booted off in favor of a "safer" one, a third movie which was very much hit or miss, and a fourth unspeakably terrible one.

Word-for-word - agreed.

As far as my opinion goes - I liked Superman 1 and 2, but not 3 and 4. And I dislike all of Burten's Batmans. And the 4th movie of each series is probably among my worst CBMs, ever.

#5 Posted by AllStarSuperman (21837 posts) - - Show Bio

@fallschirmjager: @thedarkknight9283: Superman 1 and 2 are amazing. 3 sucked, 4 was better than 3 but still sucked. all old batmans sucked. Nolanverse is the only good Batman movies.

#6 Edited by Guardiandevil83 (5573 posts) - - Show Bio

@allstarsuperman: The Batman and Returns are awesome. But I agree the others sucked. Loved Superman. You guys wanna dis movies remember the Supergirl movie? or the original F4? Also isn't the op admitting Bias? Meaning had Batman sucked despite what Batman it was. That they would still consider them good?

#7 Posted by joshmightbe (24885 posts) - - Show Bio

@thedarkknight9283: If you had been a kid when the Donner movies came out you'd probably see it differently. I freely admit that they haven't aged well but lets be fair here, they did the best they could with what they had at the time and are the reason we got those Burton Batman movies and all the other blockbuster super hero movies that exist today.

#8 Posted by JLDoom (2310 posts) - - Show Bio

I personally loved the Donner Superman movies, grew up watching 'em.

#9 Edited by Black_Claw (2987 posts) - - Show Bio

Eh, it was good for its time but it really doesn't hold up that well today IMO. That an I really hated Lex Luthors two retarded sidekicks.

#10 Edited by Yokergeist (12355 posts) - - Show Bio

I liked the first Donner Superman movie. I also liked Burton's Batman and Batman Returns. But I hated Batman and Robin.

#11 Edited by mikex20 (2769 posts) - - Show Bio

I thought all 5 (including Superman Returns) sucked.

#12 Posted by kgb725 (6440 posts) - - Show Bio

Didn't like them either

#13 Edited by Ace20XD6 (235 posts) - - Show Bio

@fallschirmjager: @thedarkknight9283: Superman 1 and 2 are amazing. 3 sucked, 4 was better than 3 but still sucked. all old batmans sucked. Nolanverse is the only good Batman movies.

So you didn't like Batman Masked of the Phantasm either? It had a theatrical release so it counts as a Batman movie.

#14 Posted by Battle_Forum_Junkie (7964 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't hate them, I just don't find them very enjoyable.

#15 Posted by PowerHerc (83461 posts) - - Show Bio

I loved the first two Superman movies when I watched them in the theater when they came out and I still love them now.

They were light years ahead of any other superhero shows that had come before and, even though they might not hold up that well 35 years later, they hold up better than the Michael Keaton, Val Kilmer and George Clooney Batman movies of 24 years ago and less.

#16 Posted by Eternal19 (2076 posts) - - Show Bio

I enjoyed the first two. Some things you just have to watch as though you were living in that time period. Its the same with reading Shakespeare

#17 Posted by AllStarSuperman (21837 posts) - - Show Bio
#18 Posted by jointron33 (1902 posts) - - Show Bio

They have ruined Superman, the same way that 60s Batman ruined that character

#19 Edited by russellmania77 (15259 posts) - - Show Bio

eh i liked man of steel alot better but i mean i can say that i hate those old films well atleast not the first and second one

#20 Edited by Omega Ray Jay (7811 posts) - - Show Bio

@jldoom said:

I personally loved the Donner Superman movies, grew up watching 'em.

Same, I don't like Superman but always enjoyed those first two movies and I can't honestly say that I would rate Man of Steel above them.

#21 Posted by RisingBean (3962 posts) - - Show Bio

If you ignore the silver age God feats that make you question why he has any problems at all, then I sorta think it's good. But as I can't get around time travel with ease vs fight it out with my enemies, it sorta is a game breaker for me.

#22 Posted by Bierschneeman (3974 posts) - - Show Bio

I still remember the days before tim Burtons batman.... we had two options.... Batman 1966 (which was awful) and the Superman movies, whioch at least had good special effects for the time period. but the acting and writing was just plain, horrible.

so if you have a memory that old, you might remember the movies as good, nostalgic films because you had no other option really, but it doesn't change the fact, that they were horrible, if you were watching the movies without an obsession of comic characters (current or future comic reader) you probabaly wouldn't have liked them (look at some of the critiques from the period) its only looking back that the film critics are starting to give the movies a better review than they received initially

#23 Posted by Bierschneeman (3974 posts) - - Show Bio

ohh yeah, i just did a marathon of superman movies....(yup still suck) and am now watching only movies from those years, and there is MILES of difference in the quality of superman movies, and movies of the period....just examples you might recognize, Indiana Jones, Star Wars.... keep looking you's find more closer to those quality films than to the quality of superman.