Who else agrees Magneto is a far better villain than "Hero"

flazam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 52

Edited By flazam

Poll Who else agrees Magneto is a far better villain than "Hero" (40 votes)

He's cooler as a SHIELD agent, so hero 5%
Making him a hero, is a disgrace to his background and the original X-men comics 40%
Couldn't care less, He sucks anyway 3%
Couldn't care less, he is cool anyway 43%
Couldn't care less, Just want to see the results 10%
 • 
Avatar image for mightyrearranger
mightyrearranger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By mightyrearranger

Eh, he's generally a legend for his role as a villain.

Though I have to say my favorite version of him was the badass Magneto in Marvel Zombies, and he was, for lack of a better term, a "hero" in that.

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 16

#2 JediXMan  Moderator

Magneto isn't a villain. He believes he is doing heroic deeds for his race. Professor X and Magneto just disagree on the means.

Also, House of M kind of proved Magneto right, in the end. Gotta be honest: if I were a mutant facing up against Sentinels and the like, I'd probably join Magneto over Professor X.

kriminal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@jedixman said:

Magneto isn't a villain. He believes he is doing heroic deeds for his race. Professor X and Magneto just disagree on the means.

Also, House of M kind of proved Magneto right, in the end. Gotta be honest: if I were a mutant facing up against Sentinels and the like, I'd probably join Magneto over Professor X.

Hitler thought he was doing heroic deeds for his race. magneto is a villain, a damn good one.

Avatar image for guardian_of_gravity
Guardian_of_Gravity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Four posts in and someone's already godwin'd the thread.

I'm impressed.

dondave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jedixman said:

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jedixman said:

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#7 SC  Moderator

Magneto's is a better antagonist to the X-Men than villain, he has often and traditionally opposed and criticized their ideology and goals as they have opposed and criticized his ideology and goals. Various X-Men and other characters have actually opposed or criticized the X-Men philosophy and its something that in of itself multilayered and in flux, redefined every few years. Personally Magneto is best to me when he is a loud voice that is ready to argue with other loud voices and sometimes his argument is right sometimes its wrong, sometimes its a little of both. The beauty of this approach is that you end up with three dimensional characters rather than one dimensional cardboard cut outs. This also grants Magneto the ability to have a similar argument or voice as many of the X-Men or other heroes, but sometimes that clashes, sometimes it opposes, sometimes it coincides, sometimes it doesn't overlap at all.

My favorite adult Magneto story is probably his trial story around Uncanny X-Men 200 where he was on trail for some of his crimes of the past and the court was attacked by the Fenris twins, and Magneto protected and saved the prosecutors against him and it also had one of the most touching moments of friendship between him and Xavier where Xavier asked him to look after his students with Magneto doubting himself. The prior issue I believe also had Magneto and Kitty visiting a Holocaust Museum which was especially poignant as well. I liked the protagonist Magneto of the late 80's but he like many characters should never grow stagnant, but he should never go in one direction either.

Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt

He's a warmongering, mutant supremacist. Just because he had an absolutely abominable childhood doesn't change that. Are his reasons for doing what he does understandable? Certainly. Does that mean it's A-OK to encourage mutant dominance? Nope.

He's a freaking villain.

reignmaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By reignmaker

Not a huge fan of villains turning good. Can't recall an example where it worked particularly well. This applies to Catwoman too.

jeanespinosa21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10  Edited By jeanespinosa21

I think it's hypocrtical to think of him as a villain if you are being prosecuted unfairly your whole life are you really going to dress up and save humans only for them to fear and hate you? Or would you just say we are here this is real you can either live with us or against us? I mean humans built killer sentinels for mutants. Most people think magneto wants mutants on a pedestal he simply wants to end the hate for his kind.

M3th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By M3th

I think he is AWEsome. Period. I don't think he even is a "hero" right now. He's always been the same Mutant Malcolm X. I don't see no change now that he's a X-Man.

He started the X-Men in the AoA Universe.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

I see him as an X-Men antagonist rather than an actual villain.He has always questioned their ways and ways of thinking and has just tried to change their opinion on people and that's what I love about him.He actually sees the truth and is doing way better stuff in my view than Professor X.He is actually protecting mutants and knows what he wants and it was the biggest mistake that he became now part of the X-Men and is a so called ''superhero''.

X35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 163

User Lists: 8

I think it's hypocrtical to think of him as a villain if you are being prosecuted unfairly your whole life are you really going to dress up and save humans only for them to fear and hate you? Or would you just say we are here this is real you can either live with us or against us? I mean humans built killer sentinels for mutants. Most people think magneto wants mutants on a pedestal he simply wants to end the hate for his kind.

Sorry, you're a moron. If Hitler could justify his hatred of the Jews with evidence, does that make him not a villain? No, he's still a terrible genocidal bigot. Just because you can justify your own actions, it doesn't make you right or superior. And your reading of Magneto is dreadful. He's attempted several times to get rid of humanity as a whole and has little patience for any of them, let alone the ones who've specifically targeted him or mutants.

X35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 163

User Lists: 8

#14  Edited By X35

Magneto is one of my favorite characters... he's a great villain with a lot of scope and a tremendously imposing power-set which makes him a valid threat without being unbeatable. He's probably the best major villain in that regard, since Doom is mostly Mary Sue'd with plot powers. Secret Wars summed it up Magneto best, imo. He was placed on the "heroes" team because his desires weren't selfish but that doesn't mean he's not a villain. There's another great scene where Captain America says he doesn't trust Magneto and Magneto snaps at him and argues that Captain America, the least bigotted person in the Marvel Universe, is jealous/afraid of him and doesn't trust him because he's a mutant. Completely overlooks the real reasons Captain America would have for not trusting him to instead preach his own tirade about how mutantshe is oppressed and unfairly treated.

No Caption Provided

When it comes down to it, Magneto is a nasty spiteful man. He is a bully with a superiority complex that he hides behind what appears to be valid justification for his actions. The classic case of the bullied become the bullies. But as we've seen countless times, when it comes down to it, Magneto's superiority isn't based on him being a mutant but rather him feeling he is better than everyone else. A great example of this is in Planet X (oh, wait, no because it's Grant Morrison so naturally it's all retconned away) but you have Magneto as much as abusing socially and mentally challenged students into serving his will while only faux humoring them. There really isn't a better scene to summarize Magneto than the bit where Esme and Toad are insulting and acting superior to the "Special Class" and Magneto tells them off for doing so with his falsely indignant attitude - happy to ignore the fact that he himself is abusing the children himself. Only heightened by the fact that he drops his whole righteous façade countless times and displays his own belief of personal superiority when they Special Class interrupt him, annoy him, question him, etc. And just because Marvel spared no quarter to retcon the whole story, it doesn't mean that it's not valid Magneto characterisation. It was written and printed as such, so shut up.

Yeah, a real hero? Beating on challenged mutant kids for annoying him.
Yeah, a real hero? Beating on challenged mutant kids for annoying him.

If Magneto ever gets his way or wins, he's still a nasty person who believes himself better than everyone else. I mean, even Bendis recognized this for god's sake (probably by accident).

No Caption Provided

The nonsense "hero" Magneto is just offensively stupid. He's a bully. Just because the current stable of writers are too dimwitted to appreciate the complexities of the character, they just go off of like a one sentence summary of the character. Same with Doom. Neither of these mega-villains are noble, they only believe themselves to be such. They see themselves as misunderstood and noble because actions and circumstance have twisted them that way, but it doesn't mean they are misunderstood and noble.

Headmaster Magneto worked because it was exploring the idea of Magneto teaching the next generation and adopting a slightly different approach. He was still a villain through-and-through, just not active as such. He was happy to find an opportunity to blame humans for the troubles which plagued mutantshimself and whenever the New Mutants wouldn't listen to him he would snap at them and using his authoritative position over them to exert his own superiority. While you can say he did some "heroic" things during this period, this is also the period where he refused to help his "friends" the X-Men battle the Adversary because they were risking their lives for humanity in doing so and was really gunning to twist the New Mutants to his own agenda.

This is from Mark Millar's Ultimate X-Men run (where Magneto is consistently written great btw), but I think it's a really really good scene showing Magneto's "noble heroism":

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Havenless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't understand this poll, there is no choice for 'I prefer him to be a villain'....

Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@guardian_of_gravity said:

Four posts in and someone's already godwin'd the thread.

I'm impressed.

It's a thread about a Jewish character who grew up in a Concentration Camp during WW2 and grew up to emulate many of Hitler's policies.

It's not Godwin-ing when the thread is linked to Nazism.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#17  Edited By dernman  Online

Magneto is a villain, extremist, terrorist, warmongerer, and a mutant supremacist, and he should stay that way.

bigtewell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

honestly i think hes great either way. he has enough motivation to be a hero or villain. while he may hate humanity he has plenty of reasons to on he was a jew in nazi germany and hes watched so many of his kind get killed by humans i.e genosha and when there was only 200 he had to step up his game because 200 is way easier to kill than 16 mil which were all taken out in a day. as a hero he has his best friends dream and he has his as a role model. hes seen the good that charles dream can do amd hes seen the bad his way can do. the thing i do like is that no matter which he is he doesnt try to kill children and yes i know someone is going to say oh what about manhatten but he didnt go after children and that was xorn and he wasnt in a right state of mind