#1 Posted by jasraj (4658 posts) - - Show Bio

well i think batman may be more famous now because of the dark knight, im not sure, these 2 characters dominate DC universe by far, and come on anyone knows who batman and superman is, i think most people tend to think of superman when it comes to superheroes, but has the succsess of the dark knight changed batman in fame and sucsess, i mean batman was always succsessful before this movie, but there was a major hype and sucsess out of this movie 

the dark knight made $1,001,921,825!, making it number 7 in the all time worldwide box office and making it the most succsessful and talked about movies of all time! 

i guess you could call this a battle between superman and batman of who is more famous and succsessful 

so, im not sure tbh 

what do you think?
#2 Posted by ComicStooge (14085 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman is more popular\famous.
#3 Posted by jasraj (4658 posts) - - Show Bio

ok, but is he more sucsessful?, coz the dark knight broke into the top 10 of all time box office, and made a heck of a lot of money 

but superman has had many movies and cartoons and tv shows?
#4 Posted by lordraiden (7625 posts) - - Show Bio

This isn't a battle, it's a general discussion.  You need to move it, or get a mod to move it in the proper forum it belongs to.
#5 Edited by ochoacruz22 (9 posts) - - Show Bio

batman hands down!

#6 Posted by New_World_Order (13516 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman.

#7 Edited by Clark_EL (2678 posts) - - Show Bio

Superman 30's-80's Batman 90's-present

#8 Edited by Nerx (15087 posts) - - Show Bio

It was superman's era before, now it is broodman's

#9 Posted by GreatCaesarsGhost (3599 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman has mass appeal.

#10 Posted by Sideslash (5918 posts) - - Show Bio

Superman has had his time in the spotlight (as mentioned, from his creation to the 80s-early 90s), whereas now (mid 80s - present), Batman overshadows the Man of Steel.

#11 Posted by SheenLantern (6910 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd say Superman is a lot more famous, but Batman is more sucessful.

Batman has mass appeal.

What's so niche about Superman?

#12 Posted by Nerx (15087 posts) - - Show Bio

@sheenlantern: The nineties happen and idealism was shot out from comics

#13 Edited by GreatCaesarsGhost (3599 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd say Superman is a lot more famous, but Batman is more sucessful.

@greatcaesarsghost said:

Batman has mass appeal.

What's so niche about Superman?

Nothing.

#14 Posted by andersonsilvaissuperman (97 posts) - - Show Bio

lol at people saying supes had his time.

No doubt both are household names and top 3 superheroes along side spiderman as far as popularity goes

Supes is pretty much the leader , hes the face of all superheroes

Batmans is no 2 in terms of popularity but 1st in terms of success

#15 Posted by Lone_Wolf_and_Cub (5331 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman by far. Sales numbers don't lie.

#16 Posted by silverJuggernaut (136 posts) - - Show Bio

wait until the man of steel movie comes out. then you will see who is number 1.

#17 Edited by The Stegman (26105 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman is more successful, Superman is more famous.

#18 Edited by Chibi_cute (4617 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman set new high standards in superhero movies this makes most of the marvel superhero movies look shit and made just only for money.

#19 Posted by Battle_Forum_Junkie (8749 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman is more successful, Superman is more famous.

This.

But it might change after the Man of Steel movie(s) come out.

#20 Posted by GreatCaesarsGhost (3599 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman by far. Sales numbers don't lie.

This is true.

wait until the man of steel movie comes out. then you will see who is number 1.

I guarantee that it won't financially do anywhere near well as the Nolan flicks.

#21 Posted by PunyParker (12615 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman.Sales.Fame.We're not talking about only the USA here,so deffinetely Batman.

#22 Posted by KnightRise (4762 posts) - - Show Bio

This same basic thread idea keeps getting bumped...

#23 Posted by RustyRoy (14041 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman.

#24 Posted by AweSam (7376 posts) - - Show Bio

Superman. People think Batman's more famous because of the Dark Knight. The trilogy had to work its way to the top. A Superman movie can attain success on with its name alone. When people forget about the Dark Knight trilogy and Batman becomes les and less famous, Superman's still going to be on top. The difference between Superman and Batman is Batman can be forgotten.

I'm a big Batman fan, but I've known Superman since I was 4. Everyone I know has heard of Superman. Even know his origin. The majority of people I know didn't know anything about Batman until the Dark Knight. A lot of them thought he was lame.

#25 Posted by GreatCaesarsGhost (3599 posts) - - Show Bio

Superman will always have the advantage of being the first, and arguably the most important superhero, since he is the prototype.

#26 Posted by NorrinBoltagonPrime21 (6469 posts) - - Show Bio

I think it can change from year to year. Batman has dominated the last few years because of the Dark Knight movies but now Superman is going to have a chance for a few years at dominance because his movies are coming out. Both characters are so popular that it changes every couple of years because one will have a movie or show while the other does not.

#27 Posted by Jack Donaghy (1165 posts) - - Show Bio

@awesam said:

Superman. People think Batman's more famous because of the Dark Knight. The trilogy had to work its way to the top. A Superman movie can attain success on with its name alone. When people forget about the Dark Knight trilogy and Batman becomes les and less famous, Superman's still going to be on top. The difference between Superman and Batman is Batman can be forgotten.

I'm a big Batman fan, but I've known Superman since I was 4. Everyone I know has heard of Superman. Even know his origin. The majority of people I know didn't know anything about Batman until the Dark Knight. A lot of them thought he was lame.

Your anecdotal evidence isn't much do go by, my 3 year old nephew knows who Batman is but only recently found out who Superman is, my friends 2 year old daughter knows who Batman is and not Superman. I wouldn't use that as proof he's more famous though. And even before Nolan, Adam West and Keaton's Batmen were extremely famous who doesn't know the 60's Batman theme song? Most people know the basics about him: lives in Gotham City, partners with Robin, drives Batmobile, has a Bat signal, works in the Batcave, fights the Joker, Penguin, Riddler and Catwoman. Batman didn't become famous or popular because of TDK trilogy, movie popularity doesn't always equal fame. Iron Man's movies are highly successful but he still isn't as famous as Wonder Woman (a character who's never had a movie) or as popular as Batman, Superman, and Spider-Man. Batman would always be one of the the top 3 most famous superheroes (with Superman and Spider-Man) even if he never did anything after Adam West left. He's more popular than Superman now and just as famous imo, seriously who knows who Superman is but NOT Batman? I've known about Batman since before I could talk, because of TAS, I knew about Superman too but found out about him a littler later on.

#28 Edited by RustyRoy (14041 posts) - - Show Bio

The biggest reason Superman is popular is because he was the first American hero. How much do people know about Superman? That he's an alien sent to earth from a dying planet(most non-comic book readers don't even know the name of the planet), grew up on Smallville and has a love interest named lois lane. Most people know know who Batman is. They know that his parent were murdered when he was a kid, that he's a billionaire, lives in Gotham,dresses up in a batsuit, has a sidekick named Robin, got Joker,Riddler, Mr. Freeze,Catwoman as archenemies. He's got 5 very popular movies(and if you include bad popularity then Batman and Robin is more popular than many great films), a famous TV show, 4 best selling games, one of the best animated series, a great no of hugely popular comic book stories. His symbol is even more known than Superman's.

#29 Posted by SandMan_ (4528 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman is more successful, but Superman is more famous.

#30 Edited by Jack Donaghy (1165 posts) - - Show Bio

@rustyroy said:

The biggest reason Superman is popular is because he was the first American hero. How much do people know about Superman? That he's an alien sent to earth from a dying planet(most non-comic book readers don't even know the name of the planet), grew up on Smallville and has a love interest named lois lane. Most people know know who Batman is. They know that his parent were murdered when he was a kid, that he's a billionaire, lives in Gotham,dresses up in a batsuit, has a sidekick named Robin, got Joker,Riddler, Mr. Freeze,Catwoman as archenemies. He's got 5 very popular movies(and if you include bad popularity then Batman and Robin is more popular than many great films), a famous TV show, 4 best selling games, one of the best animated series, a great no of hugely popular comic book stories. His symbol is even more known than Superman's.

I don't think his symbol is more known than Superman's, I read that the Superman shield is one of the most famous symbols is the world. Only trailing the cross and Coca Cola symbols. But I agree with what you said.

A testament to Batman's fame is all of his famous supporting characters, go up to anyone on the street and ask them to name some Batman characters I bet most would be able to name: Robin, the Joker, Catwoman, the Riddler, the Penguin and Batgirl (people may call her Batwoman) at the very least. The only characters Superman has on that level are Lois Lane, Lex Luthor and Supergirl (people may call her Superwoman). I think people assume Superman is more famous because he's older, more iconic, became extremely popular before any other superhero, was more famous for a long period of time and most importantly has the word super in his name so when someone is asked to name a SUPER hero of course they're going to say SUPERman first. At the end of the day though I'd still say they're about equal when it comes to fame.

#31 Posted by RustyRoy (14041 posts) - - Show Bio

@jack_donaghy: I'm not saying its not popular but Many people don't know how it really looks like. The Bat symbol is easily recognizable. Yeah I agree that they're about equal in fame but Bat's had more success.

' most importantly has the word super in his name so when someone is asked to name a SUPER hero of course they're going to say SUPERman first.' This(and red tights) is one of the biggest reasons he's popular among people who don't actually know anything about character.