Edited 1 year, 30 days ago

Poll: Who do you prefere!!!, Robocop or Judge Dredd (33 votes)

Robocop easily 6%
Judge Dredd easily 58%
Neither 9%
Too Close to call 0%
Very Close but Judge Dredd 18%
Very Close but Robocop 9%

The Two characters are both based in a futuristic setting.

Judge Dredd has received two live action films. One in 1995 and a remake in 2012

Robocop has received three films with a remake set for release on February 7th 2014

Be sure to explain why you prefer one or the other

I personally prefer Robocop

Heres a picture I created on paint

#1 Posted by flazam (2496 posts) - - Show Bio

Robocop FTW

#2 Edited by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio

Dredd.

Not just a product of cheap exploitation cinema dosed with a shot of pretentiousness.

The Dredd comics have had arguably the greatest talent of all time work on them.

Robocop 2 is one of the absolute worst films ever made. Robocop 3 I have not even seen due to 2 being so abhorrent.

The latest Dredd film is a pretty damn decent film. Even the '95 Judge Dredd is superior to all but the first Robocop (which only edges it out narrowly).

Imo, obviously.

#3 Edited by flazam (2496 posts) - - Show Bio
#4 Posted by broo1232 (1520 posts) - - Show Bio

Dredd. Apocalypse War was utter genius, so mental.

#5 Posted by warlock360 (28050 posts) - - Show Bio

I am da Lawww

#6 Posted by flazam (2496 posts) - - Show Bio

No one for Robocop?

#7 Posted by TheManInTheShoe (3878 posts) - - Show Bio

Neither

#8 Posted by TDK_1997 (14896 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't like both but I prefer Dredd.The guys that have worked on his series have all had great talent and have became great comic book writers.

#9 Posted by Smallville2106 (92 posts) - - Show Bio

Dredd. Great series and great films.

Robocop 2 &3 were a joke.

#10 Edited by silent_bomber (1683 posts) - - Show Bio

@flazam said:

The Two characters are both based in a futuristic setting.

More than that, Robocop is actually based on Judge Dredd in the 1st place.

This is the original design for Robocop (From Robocop: Special Edition's documentary)

Here's some matching dialogue -

As well as "Your move, creep!"

The people who made Robocop were actually working on a Judge Dredd film script prior to making Robocop but it didn't go anywhere.

They're both awesome though, Robocop really does its own thing, and in a lot of ways he's the opposite of Dredd. Robocop is a machine with the soul of a man, whilst Dredd is a man conditioned to think and act like a machine.

Robocop is about the human soul winning out against the odds, whilst Judge Dredd is about the human soul being crushed and fashioned into a remorseless government tool through conditioning.

#11 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio

@flazam: Yeah, me too. I hope it's not grotesquely violent though. Tarantino-level, not guro-level.

#12 Posted by Bierschneeman (3984 posts) - - Show Bio

hmm... thats a hard one (going off movies)

on the one hand you have Peter Weller's awesome performance (almost as good as his role in Naked Lunch) and at the same time we can ignore parts 2 and 3

on the other hand you have Stallone, who I think is underrated, and actually a good actor, but they made a major storyarc and a serious villain a mere footnote in the movie.

hands down robocop just on those because the writing was awful in judge dredd. and im sure if they made sequels they would end up just as bad as robocop 2 and 3

Buuuut...... the 2012 Dredd more than makes all of the above look dated and poorly executed, so I think I'll reserve using Dredd in my judgement until Robocop 2014 comes out, that way they can be seen on more even ground again. its almost unfair, like trying to compare the original King Kong to LOTR (or 2009 Star Trek if it fits your idiom better) on grounds of special effects without using the phrase "for its time"

#13 Posted by Hel (487 posts) - - Show Bio

Robocop.

Remember going into an Arcade hall in the 80s and heard that great Robocop music and stood transfixed as some older guys were playing the sh/t out of the game. Rented the movie on video as I got older and just loved it. And to this day, after the party, we listen to the theme along with Rambo, Terminator and etc.

#14 Posted by WaveMotionCannon (5436 posts) - - Show Bio
#15 Posted by bob808 (6775 posts) - - Show Bio

Neither I hate cops

#16 Edited by Judge_Dredd (149 posts) - - Show Bio

@silent_bomber: Great post, and well said. I was gonna post that behind-the-scenes pic as well.

@bob808: Dredd involves satire and criticizing our system of law today, as sci-fi often does. It's not endorsing the fascist stuff and whatnot. Just curious, I see Dredd listed as one of your least favorite characters. Have you read a Dredd comic? Preferably one by his creator John Wagner (still writing today too).

Also, did you know Dredd has at times questioned the system and gone against it? And he even once fought for the right for democracy? And recently fought for the rights of mutants, etc.

For me it's Judge Dredd with ease, though Robocop is a great film.

#17 Posted by Jaymundo (168 posts) - - Show Bio

@broo1232 said:

Dredd. Apocalypse War was utter genius, so mental.

Couldn't agree more, total chaos! Dredd wins hands down...

#18 Edited by bob808 (6775 posts) - - Show Bio

@judge_dredd: I have read Judge Dredd and I know Dredd has fought for democracy but its still is just as bad as fascism. Democracy is the tyranny of the majority.

#19 Edited by silent_bomber (1683 posts) - - Show Bio

@bob808 said:

@judge_dredd: I have read Judge Dredd and I know Dredd has fought for democracy but its still is just has bad as fascism. Democracy is the tyranny of the majority.

Ah, a Pat Mills fan!

#20 Edited by Judge_Dredd (149 posts) - - Show Bio

@bob808: I'm with you on finding fault with our system and putting government under scrutiny etc. But I don't get why this makes you dislike the character Judge Dredd, while you can still enjoy reading about violent vigilantes and whatnot. If anything Dredd glorifies fascism less than most characters, since he's not supposed to come across as a pure clean hero.

Plus, I'm not sure why real life values would need to be so connected to enjoying fiction. There are several fun stories about serial killers, Dexter for example, they can still be fun characters even if they'd be monstrous in reality.

#21 Edited by DwightSpitz (567 posts) - - Show Bio

Neither.

#22 Edited by Judge_Dredd (149 posts) - - Show Bio

@dwightspitz: You like it when Batman stops a crazy gangster but you don't like it if Judge Dredd or Robocop do it? What's the difference, effectively? Other than I guess a little extra romanticism put on it for Batman and other vigilantes. Plus Dredd does it while satirizing the police etc, that should actually be bonus points for you I'd think.

#23 Edited by DwightSpitz (567 posts) - - Show Bio

@judge_dredd: Take it easy hermano, I was joking. I liked the new Dredd film, but I just don't think none of them are that good.

#24 Edited by bob808 (6775 posts) - - Show Bio

@judge_dredd: I understand that Dredd is not supposed to be a pure clean hero and its just a work of fiction. Judge Dredd stories can be interesting at times but he still boils my blood.