#1 Edited by SOG7dc (6713 posts) - - Show Bio

ive done one of these before for superman and thor and it turned out really well. so I figure ill do more for different characters.

this is not a battle. just a general discussion ;)

Rules:

just say why you like which character more and be open for conversation with people who have opposing views.

#2 Posted by Yokergeist (12355 posts) - - Show Bio

I like Batman more because he uses cooler gadgets and seems like a much nicer guy (as Bruce Wayne) than Tony Stark.

-$NG

#3 Posted by RulerOfThisUniverse (6158 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman by far. He's a much more interesting and complex character, which I like a lot. The vast majority of his stories are also A LOT darker than the vast majority of Iron Man's stories. Also, Batman is the much bigger badass while Tony Stark is the much bigger assh*le. Not much of a contest, in my opinion.

#4 Posted by SOG7dc (6713 posts) - - Show Bio

Part of me doing this is to understand why people like ironman because I don't see the appeal. But I am open to other opinions

#5 Posted by Blackdog2009 (1818 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman. I was a big IM fan until RDJ ruined him and people in comics started writing him with the same personality as the movie comedian with armor.

#6 Posted by Veshark (9058 posts) - - Show Bio

Bats, personally.

@sog7dc said:

Part of me doing this is to understand why people like ironman because I don't see the appeal. But I am open to other opinions

Here's my take on it:

My appreciation for Tony Stark comes not from the RDJ incarnation, but more from the comics. I like the idea of how he went from an industrialist in the 60s to a futurist in the 2000s. As Warren Ellis once put it, Iron Man is the 'test pilot for the future'. He's always thinking about how we can improve the world in the long run, always trying to be at the bleeding-edge of technology.

Character-wise, he's also probably one of Marvel's most fallible characters. Aside from being an alcoholic, there's of course his extensive womanizing and narcissism, but when sht gets serious, Tony always pulls through. Sometimes his sheer drive to save lives can push him to extremes, like Armor Wars and Civil Wars, but there's no doubt he's a hero.

Plus, he's one of the most visually-interesting superheroes in comic-books today. It's fun to see all his different armors and color schemes, and I'm also a big fan of the technical aspects of his suit. I'm always interested whenever characters in a IM comic discuss the details of the armors.

#7 Posted by laidblack (779 posts) - - Show Bio

Personally I'd take Batman, I got to have respect for a man who choses to fight with his hands and put himself on the line on a daily basis, an also writing for Iron Man has been...how can I say an a nice way...lacking.

#8 Edited by lightsout (1823 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman (though I will admit I'm much more experienced with DC & will generally prefer it's characters).

I like the dark/horror aspects of the titles, and also the crime-solving aspects. He (as with Superman), also embodies the classic selfless hero. He has essentially thrown away any of his own happiness to prevent anyone in his city from being victimized like he was as a child (and along the way sticks to a very strict code of going about his heroics).

#9 Posted by Wolverine08 (38958 posts) - - Show Bio

I like them both equally.

#10 Posted by Wolverine08 (38958 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman by far. He's a much more interesting and complex character, which I like a lot. The vast majority of his stories are also A LOT darker than the vast majority of Iron Man's stories. Also, Batman is the much bigger badass while Tony Stark is the much bigger assh*le. Not much of a contest, in my opinion.

I'm no asking to change your opinion, but Tony is quite a complex character, and his stories mostly have him dealing with terrorists, alcoholism, etc. Batman is not "A LOT" darker than Iron Man.

#11 Posted by green_skaar (4415 posts) - - Show Bio

I have to be honest, I don't like either of them very much. I don't hate them or anything, just not a fan.

#12 Posted by SOG7dc (6713 posts) - - Show Bio

@veshark said:

Bats, personally.

@sog7dc said:

Here's my take on it:

My appreciation for Tony Stark comes not from the RDJ incarnation, but more from the comics. I like the idea of how he went from an industrialist in the 60s to a futurist in the 2000s. As Warren Ellis once put it, Iron Man is the 'test pilot for the future'. He's always thinking about how we can improve the world in the long run, always trying to be at the bleeding-edge of technology.

Character-wise, he's also probably one of Marvel's most fallible characters. Aside from being an alcoholic, there's of course his extensive womanizing and narcissism, but when sht gets serious, Tony always pulls through. Sometimes his sheer drive to save lives can push him to extremes, like Armor Wars and Civil Wars, but there's no doubt he's a hero.

Plus, he's one of the most visually-interesting superheroes in comic-books today. It's fun to see all his different armors and color schemes, and I'm also a big fan of the technical aspects of his suit. I'm always interested whenever characters in a IM comic discuss the details of the armors.

i guess I can appreciate that. but his armors have never been particularly interesting to me unless moebius was drawing it lol

#13 Posted by Veshark (9058 posts) - - Show Bio

@sog7dc said:

Not even Adi Granov? :O

#14 Posted by RulerOfThisUniverse (6158 posts) - - Show Bio

@wolverine08: In my opinion (and this IS just my opinion) Tony Stark is a rather bleak character with the one concept of being a billionaire ass as his only defining character trait with the Marvel signature "I'm more relatable than you!" thrown in through the form of being an alcoholic. Otherwise, he's kind of just a rich jerk. As for your second point, yes, yes he is. Next time you see Iron Man fight legitimate, street-level murderous psychopaths through the concept of mortal terror on a regular basis due to his own possible insanity from a childhood trauma, let me know.

#15 Edited by SOG7dc (6713 posts) - - Show Bio
#16 Posted by Wolverine08 (38958 posts) - - Show Bio

@rulerofthisuniverse:

Your characterization of iron Man as being just a rich jerk is something I see people who either don't know much about him or don't like him label him as, but whatever. As for him being dark, the guy's arch enemy is a psychotic Chinese terrorist who murders scores of people in his quest for domination. Tony and his mythos isn't light stuff.

If you do decided to check out Iron Man, I'd recommend his "Extremis" story by Warren Ellis. It's a complex and layered story with absolutely gorgeous art, and I think the dark tone of the story is something you would find quite enjoyable (since you seem to like dark stories a lot).

#17 Posted by SOG7dc (6713 posts) - - Show Bio

@veshark: Yuk! That looks so bland and generic to me!

#18 Posted by Wolverine08 (38958 posts) - - Show Bio

Who doesn't like Adi Granov's art?

#19 Posted by SOG7dc (6713 posts) - - Show Bio
#20 Posted by RulerOfThisUniverse (6158 posts) - - Show Bio

@wolverine08: Who's arch-nemesis is darker? The Mandarin, a Chinese terrorist that uses magical rings in his quest to conquer the world, or The Joker, a twisted, psychotic agent of chaos with no true motive that has caused incredible horror to the entire bat-family? Just saying.

#21 Posted by Wolverine08 (38958 posts) - - Show Bio

@rulerofthisuniverse:

Mandarin using magical rings doesn't lessen the dark, evil monster that he is. Both he and Joker are complete animals who callously slaughter for their own motives (Joker has no reason lol, Mandarin wishes to rule.). They are both two of comic's darkest villains IMO.

#22 Posted by giantsfan576 (1071 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman. Much cooler personality. He's not a sarcastic joke. He's much darker but is caring for all lives at the same time.

#23 Posted by dagmar_merrill (6951 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman. A lot more higher quality stories. Iron Man has what 5 good stories? Extremis, 5 nightmares, armor wars and Demon in a bottle..

#24 Posted by dbatdog (533 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman since he's more resourceful than Iron Man.

Also having some cool villains is a plus too...

#25 Posted by Mega_spidey01 (3078 posts) - - Show Bio

batman.

#26 Posted by kgb725 (6061 posts) - - Show Bio

Bruce isn't what he's cracked up to be and Tony is underrated

#27 Posted by SOG7dc (6713 posts) - - Show Bio

I like batman more because I see him A's the more impressive specimen. Batman is skilled h2h, he's a genius businessman, he's a doctor,

Lawyer, biologist, and I believe he has degrees in other fields as well, he's a sherlock-esque detective, a peak human, philanthropist, his ingenuity is incredible etc. But with Tony I only see a great engineer.

#28 Edited by Wolverine08 (38958 posts) - - Show Bio

@sog7dc: Tony's actually also a master business man, physicist, and tactician. He's best field is in engineering, but he is also adept in many other fields too.

#29 Posted by SOG7dc (6713 posts) - - Show Bio

@wolverine08: I don't read ironman but hasn't he gone bankrupt a bunch? And I'll have to take your word for the tactician thing. But him being a physicist sounds plausible

#30 Edited by Wolverine08 (38958 posts) - - Show Bio

@sog7dc: No actually. His business, Stark Enterprises is one of the most successful businesses in the Marvel U.

#31 Edited by RustyRoy (11119 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman, I enjoy his stories and personality more than Iron Man.

#32 Edited by God_Spawn (37382 posts) - - Show Bio

WHAT!?

I've never met one person say Adi Granov's art is boring, let alone bland and generic.

#33 Edited by SOG7dc (6713 posts) - - Show Bio

@wolverine08: Oh. Well I got that from other viners. As I said I don't read ironman

#34 Posted by eternalnature (364 posts) - - Show Bio

as a batfam. I am complied to answer batman. But i love Tony's snark.

#35 Edited by batmannflash (6192 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman. Personality, supporting cast, villains, design, stories.

I like Iron Man but he's not as interesting to me, in my opinion. I also do not like how he looks in tv/comics. Then there's stuff like Civil War and whatnot. But I still like him. Just not as much as Batman

#36 Posted by Tyrus (1083 posts) - - Show Bio

Iron Man (I just wanted to be the only one besides wolverine to answer who DIDN'T have a DC AV :P).

I like Stark for the fact that yes, he is a jerk - he's an alcoholic, he's a billionaire, he's selfish and he hides behind a suit of armor but underneath all of that he still has a heart. He has courage, he's someone you can still rely on (except with your girlfriends). Hell, how do guys think Cap has been able to put up with him for 50 years?

Basically I like Bruce for all the reasons that Stark isn't and I like Stark for all the reasons that Bruce isn't.

In regards to people hating Tony because his story isn't dark enough like Bruce's... Seriously? So nobody likes Flash or Thor too, right? I just hope you people aren't hating on Iron Man because he's Iron Man again :P

#37 Posted by Veshark (9058 posts) - - Show Bio

@sog7dc said:

@veshark: Yuk! That looks so bland and generic to me!

You are dead to me. BURN THE HERETIC!

@wolverine08 said:

WHAT!?

I've never met one person say Adi Granov's art is boring, let alone bland and generic.

TRUF.

#38 Posted by Bierschneeman (3865 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman

it used to be closer.... than just EASY.... but then I read Iron Man in AA.... and Iron Man in Civil War.

#39 Posted by sinestro_GL (3067 posts) - - Show Bio

Oh boy...this is not going to be a pretty thread to read...

#40 Posted by MonsterStomp (16160 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman is the most complete human and a more likeable character in my opinion.

#41 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman's a literary achievement as important to US cultural history as Sherlock Holmes or James Bond are to British.

Iron Man's a pointless character that acts like an unrepentant dick and is rewarded for it because he's "cool".

Say what you will about Batman, but he doesn't go after and assault his team-mates on the basis of them possibly stealing his tech, then leave them for dead.

#42 Edited by Binski (645 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman c'mon now

#43 Edited by X35 (5981 posts) - - Show Bio

lol

#44 Posted by Wolverine08 (38958 posts) - - Show Bio

@wolverine08 said:

WHAT!?

Agreed! The guy is one of comic's best artists! Can't wait to see his work on the Captain America: Living Legend mini series!

#45 Posted by SOG7dc (6713 posts) - - Show Bio

Anybody else?

#46 Posted by The_Titan_Lord (4696 posts) - - Show Bio

Tony by far.

#47 Edited by Extremis (3334 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman.

1. Grew up with Batman and the character always resonated with me more on a personal level as a character born out of tragedy, sworn to do good. I just find that very compelling.

2. Bruce's obsession as Batman I can relate to as I can be somewhat obsessive in my own interests lol

3. The cast of characters in the Batman mythology are all very rich outside of just the main character, I.e. Dick Grayson, Alfred, Jason Todd, Babs, Jim Gordon, Tim Drake, Damian, all the villains, and various others.

4. Iron Man doesn't have anywhere near the rich mythology that Batman has. Gotham feels like a living breathing place. So much has been contributed to Gotham over the years that it feels as real to me as any American city.

#48 Posted by THEOCITYLEGEND (1171 posts) - - Show Bio

THE GODDAMN BATMAN!

#49 Posted by TDK_1997 (14474 posts) - - Show Bio

I love Batman because whenever I read an essential story of him or just any good read I put myself through all of the stuff he goes through.He is maybe the best fictional character that has ever been created in my opinion.While Tony Stark is interesting to read about only at times.