Posted by Supermanwithatan01 (4226 posts) 1 year, 5 months ago

Poll: Who do you believe is the NBA's top Pointguard going into 2013-2014? (8 votes)

Rajon Rondo - (PPG - 13.7), (APG - 11.1), (FG% - .484), (PER - 18.12) 25%
Chris Paul - (PPG - 16.9), (APG - 9.7), (FG% - .481), (PER - 26.43) 13%
Russell Westbrook - (PPG - 23.2), (APG - 7.4), (FG% - .438), (PER - 23.98) 25%
Derrick Rose - (PPG - 21.8), (APG - 7.9), (FG% - .435), (PER - 23.10) 13%
Tony Parker - (PPG - 20.3), (APG - 7.6), (FG% - .522), (PER - 23.10) 50%
Steph Curry - (PPG - 22.9), (APG - 7.6), (FG% - .451), (PER - 21.34) 0%
Kyrie Irving - (PPG - 22.5), (APG - 5.9), (FG% - .452), (PER - 21.51) 0%
Deron Williams - (PPG - 18.9), (APG - 7.7), (FG% - .440), (PER - 20.38) 0%

Multiple choices, who do you guys believe will be the NBA's top pointguard?

Points per Game = PPG

Assists per Game = APG

Field Goal Percentage = FG%

Player Efficiency Rating = PER (for those of you that don't know, "Player efficiency rating (PER) is John Hollinger's all-in-one basketball rating, which attempts to boil down all of a player's contributions into one number")

PER isn't everything, obviously it doesn't translate wins; for example Russell Westbrook held Chris Paul in check in all their 3 games this year (albeit Paul only played 2) winning all 3. Westbrook averaged 23ppg and 8apg vs Paul who averaged 11ppg and 7apg vs Westbrook and the OKC Thunder.

Also it should be noted:

Rondo, who was Magic Johnson's pick for the perfect pointguard, is the only one on the list with an NBA championship as a starter and played 3Qtrs of playoff Basketball with a torn ACL. Speaking of Triple Doubles, Rondo has the 3rd most Triple Doubles (points/assists/rebounds) in playoff history, ahead of Kobe Bryant, Michael Jordan Charles Barkley and Wilt Chamberlain. He's only 1 behind Lebron James who moved ahead of Rondo in this years playoffs (Rondo has 10, James has 11).

Stephan Curry broke Ray Allen's regular season record with the most 3's in a season this year

Russell Westbrook (vs Rondo, Parker, Paul, Williams and Rose) holds a better PPG avg, APG avg, FG%, and Winning % in his series against each of these players... Say what you want about his questionable shots, the guy shows up consistently and has bettered his NBA PG-peers in 1 on 1 matchups.

Parker has 3 NBA championships and was once the Finals MVP.

Derrick Rose currently holds the highest FG% within the final 5 minutes of games (2011-2012 season), over all the pointguards on the list at .481. He's clutch.

If this goes well I'll be doing Shooting guard tomorrow, Small Forward on tuesday, Power Forward on wednesday and Center on thursday. After that I might do one final one on my person opinion TEAM powerrankings friday night.

#1 Posted by kriminal (663 posts) - - Show Bio

its your thread but heres some suggestions. don't do small forward unless you say excluding LeBron james. if anyone says Durant is better they need hater therapy . id also say do big man instead of two for pf and center. then you can do 6th man for a 5th category. again, your thread just suggesting.

ps. do qbs. ill be on that board for sure. its tom brady by the way. if not ill make it myself

#2 Posted by noj (1100 posts) - - Show Bio

TP9 all they way! Like I said in the other thread the effect that Parker has on his team makes him way more valuable and his penetration is top tier. He also has a beter FG% than anyone on that list which does count for alot. His average may be a couple points lower than some on the list but that has alot to do with how much of a TEAM the Spurs are. They have quite a few great scorers and share the ball better than pretty much any team in the league.

#3 Posted by dagmar_merrill (10703 posts) - - Show Bio

Tony.

#4 Posted by MonsterStomp (21384 posts) - - Show Bio

Westbrook!

#5 Posted by novi_homines (1339 posts) - - Show Bio

Strictly from a performance standpoint? John Wall. Mark my words.

#6 Posted by dbatdog (548 posts) - - Show Bio

going in 2013-14? i would say either Parker or Paul, since Rondo, Rose, Westbrook are all coming from injury, Deron is the wildcard, the remaining two needs more season.

#7 Edited by Oscuro (1124 posts) - - Show Bio

IF curry's ankle holds up, he will probably reap the benefits of a seemingly improved team and many of his peers being injured. He is a deadly shooter and a capable passer. His team success will dictate where he ends up.

#8 Posted by Supermanwithatan01 (4226 posts) - - Show Bio

@kriminal said:

its your thread but heres some suggestions. don't do small forward unless you say excluding LeBron james. if anyone says Durant is better they need hater therapy . id also say do big man instead of two for pf and center. then you can do 6th man for a 5th category. again, your thread just suggesting.

ps. do qbs. ill be on that board for sure. its tom brady by the way. if not ill make it myself

haha yeah good and I will. I'll tag you in em.