Adnan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#101  Edited By Adnan

site redesign

...huh, it hasn't even been that long since the last redesign happened. Could be cool, I guess.
AgeofHurricane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#102  Edited By AgeofHurricane

This is all Bendis' fault.

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 581

#103  Edited By pikahyper  Moderator

@Chaos Burn said:

Did it say that Tony and Sarah are going?!

They are staying.

"Giant Bomb and Comic Vine are now in the same family as GameSpot and GameFAQs. The entire editorial teams from those sites are coming over, as is Dave."

_Zombie_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#104  Edited By _Zombie_
InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#105  Edited By InnerVenom123

... Neat?

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106  Edited By pikahyper  Moderator

@ZombieBigfoot said:

Also, for anyone not actively reading the giantbomb articles as they're put up, it says in the premium members faq that wiki points won't be affected. I'm assuming this will apply to CV as well.

http://www.giantbomb.com/news/premium-members-faq/4036/

While that is true it also says "Giant Bomb and Comic Vine are now in the same family as GameSpot and GameFAQs. The entire editorial teams from those sites are coming over, as is Dave. This marks a reunion of sorts as we’ll get to work with our friends over at GameSpot again. Giant Bomb will continue to operate as its own unique site." why not say "Giant Bomb and Comic Vine will continue to operate as their own unique sites" o.o

feargalr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107  Edited By feargalr

@pikahyper said:

Ya calling anyone sell-outs is messed up (not directed at you @Richard Wolfe:), I don't get why some people are saying it, in this economy people have to make a living, selling to CBS kinda sucks cause of the past and all though (from what I hear at least). It said over at GiantBomb that like 98% of the premium memberships all came from GB though so I wonder why CV and GB couldn't stay independent. With that many premium memberships, fewer sites and less staff they should have been financially stable enough to strike out on their own. GB and CV on their own could have been magical.

This is true :)

But I doubt they could have ever went out on their own. Whiskey Media own the layout of the sites and what not, so that would need to be changed, along with offices, equipment, wages. Them going on their own could have been magical, but the amount of money needed to make that happen would have probably required a lot of magic to raise. Everyone at whiskey media is real happy about this so I'm going to wait and see, but I'm cautiously optimistic for the moment.

@Illuminatus: I can appreciate what your saying, but the way I look at pretty much everything great in the world is owned by a large corporation, and yes they're all rotten evil. But I don't see this as being a bad thing for Comic Vine, they'll have more money behind them and given what happened with Jeff and Gamespot a few years back, we can safely say that CBS isn't going to be using these sites to push their agenda any time soon. :)

Avatar image for trueilluminatus
TrueIlluminatus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108  Edited By TrueIlluminatus
@feargalr: Only time will tell, my friend. 

This is off-topic, but do you live in the US?
inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

#109  Edited By inferiorego  Staff

The GameSpot parent company will keep those sites--and their staff--largely intact. They will continue as separately run sites, although they will be linked to by GameSpot.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/giant-bomb-comic-vine-join-cbs-interactive-6366357

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#110  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

:(

feargalr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111  Edited By feargalr

@Illuminatus: Nope, in Ireland.

_Zombie_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112  Edited By _Zombie_

@pikahyper said:

@ZombieBigfoot said:

Also, for anyone not actively reading the giantbomb articles as they're put up, it says in the premium members faq that wiki points won't be affected. I'm assuming this will apply to CV as well.

While that is true it also says "Giant Bomb and Comic Vine are now in the same family as GameSpot and GameFAQs. The entire editorial teams from those sites are coming over, as is Dave. This marks a reunion of sorts as we’ll get to work with our friends over at GameSpot again. Giant Bomb will continue to operate as its own unique site." why not say "Giant Bomb and Comic Vine will continue to operate as their own unique sites" o.o

I take it as them saying that CV and GB will remain unique from Gamespot and CBS, while maintaining the same relationship between them they had before this event occurred. The underlined part was probably just worded that way with the purpose of alleviating the GB community specifically, as the reaction there is a bit more varied than here. It'd probably be easier to say that, but oh well.

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

#113  Edited By inferiorego  Staff

@ZombieBigfoot said:

@pikahyper said:

@ZombieBigfoot said:

I take it as them saying that CV and GB will remain unique from Gamespot and CBS, while maintaining the same relationship between them they had before this event occurred. The underlined part was probably just worded that way with the purpose of alleviating the GB community specifically, as the reaction there is a bit more varied than here. It'd probably be easier to say that, but oh well.

@inferiorego said:

The GameSpot parent company will keep those sites--and their staff--largely intact. They will continue as separately run sites, although they will be linked to by GameSpot.

TrueIlluminatus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114  Edited By TrueIlluminatus
@feargalr: Oh, I see.  

Well, being a US citizen, I tend to get a little touchy when concerning topics related to corporate restructuring/takeovers, seeing as they're a constantly looming cloud over the heads of about 99% of American citizens. So, I hope I didn't come off as rude, and if I did, I apologize. 

I know ACTA was being strongly opposed across Europe. Have you heard anything about it?
Avatar image for deranged_midget
Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 4

#115  Edited By Deranged Midget

What the...?

Shadow_Thief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#116  Edited By Shadow_Thief

Whether this is a good thing or not remains to be seen. I have a deep-seated distrust of anything that stinks too strongly of corporate meddling, but if G-Man and Babs say it's a positive development, I'm willing to give it the benefit of the doubt and stick around for now.

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117  Edited By pikahyper  Moderator

@inferiorego said:

aahhhh why do they never name any of the non-editorial staff !!! I don't want Ethan, gpbmike or alexisg to leave :(

_Zombie_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118  Edited By _Zombie_

@inferiorego said:

@ZombieBigfoot said:

@pikahyper said:

@ZombieBigfoot said:

@inferiorego said:

I've already read up on most of the details and my conclusions pretty much match up with that article already. I was mostly just referring to the specific wording in the GB article.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
feargalr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120  Edited By feargalr

@Illuminatus: You weren't rude at all no worries. ACTA was signed by the EU in January. But most people are worried about this...

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/2156333/irish-sopa-law

It was signed into law but as of yet I have noticed no difference to how to the internet over here, but it's early days yet. Lets leave it at shall we, try and keep this thread somewhat on topic

TrueIlluminatus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121  Edited By TrueIlluminatus
@feargalr: M'kay.  

And, interesting. I'll check it out and PM you later about it.
Video_Martian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122  Edited By Video_Martian

This could either turn out really good or really, really bad :P

damswedon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#123  Edited By damswedon

@ZombieBigfoot: As far as I know CBS doesn't have a Comic book site so there isn't anything for Comic Vine to merge with, so it makes sense to not point that out.

_Zombie_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124  Edited By _Zombie_

@damswedon said:

@ZombieBigfoot: As far as I know CBS doesn't have a Comic book site so there isn't anything for Comic Vine to merge with, so it makes sense to not point that out.

I suppose I was just using merge as a convenient term, I guess, referring to the overall process.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126  Edited By InnerVenom123

Why are we worried?

I wanna get in on the worrying.

The Poet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 84

User Lists: 99

#127  Edited By The Poet  Moderator

hmm...

Shadow_Thief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#128  Edited By Shadow_Thief
No Caption Provided
CATPANEXE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#129  Edited By CATPANEXE

@InnerVenom123 said:

Why are we worried?

I wanna get in on the worrying.

Lmao. My sentiments exactly.

I'll save my congrats for G-Man's thread later given the slippery air in here (but yes, congrats).

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130  Edited By pikahyper  Moderator
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
@CATPANEXE: love the Av
CATPANEXE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132  Edited By CATPANEXE

@spiderbat87: Thanks. Velocity is the bomb!

Avatar image for deactivated-579156ff11b09
deactivated-579156ff11b09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

- Now with CBS involved I can finally make my Leroy Gibbs vs Punisher battle thread !

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134  Edited By pikahyper  Moderator

@WarMachineMarkV said:

- Now with CBS involved I can finally make my Leroy Gibbs vs Punisher battle thread !

lol, Gibbs is the man :D

Samimista

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#135  Edited By Samimista

Anyone know when this will all take in effect?

Omega Ray Jay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 5

#136  Edited By Omega Ray Jay

@Samimista said:

Anyone know when this will all take in effect?

Very good question

feargalr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137  Edited By feargalr

The sites are splitting databases and what not on April 15th, but Giant Bomb are already in their new offices, Im guessing Tony and Sara would be too if they weren't at WonderCon.

My friend (who loves screened) describes it as a Mother and Father (CV and GB) abandoning their children.. which isn't all that true, but it kinda is weird, its like a family breaking up, it'll be odd for them not to all be in the same office and have Norm on the CV podcast and that level of interaction... really weird..

Samimista

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#138  Edited By Samimista

@feargalr said:

The sites are splitting databases and what not on April 15th, but Giant Bomb are already in their new offices, Im guessing Tony and Sara would be too if they weren't at WonderCon.

My friend (who loves screened) describes it as a Mother and Father (CV and GB) abandoning their children.. which isn't all that true, but it kinda is weird, its like a family breaking up, it'll be odd for them not to all be in the same office and have Norm on the CV podcast and that level of interaction... really weird..

Ah so I'm assuming sometime after April 15th is when we'll start noticing the changes. Yeah it is kind of weird certainly a surprise for all of us. But since Sara and Tony sound optimistic about this then I'll trust their judgement. Only time can tell what'll happen.

feargalr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139  Edited By feargalr

@Samimista: Yup I just hope it turns out good for everyone!

Omega Ray Jay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#140  Edited By Omega Ray Jay

Basically at this point back up as much of the wiki as you can.

Bigheart711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141  Edited By Bigheart711

Seriously, I hope things turn out good for all the sites involved, including Comic Vine since I love playing as a "villain" over here and the same goes for Screened and Anime Vice since I love working on wiki pages for those sites too.

TheCrowbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142  Edited By TheCrowbar

gamespot is such shit though...

TheSheepHerder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143  Edited By TheSheepHerder

I don't know why, but I think having the GiantBomb staff and the Gamespot staff in the same building seems really awkward...

JamesSpiring

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145  Edited By JamesSpiring

I'm surprised the slim footer still says "give me another swig", since that was a whiskey reference.