• 145 results
#1 Edited by damswedon (499 posts) - - Show Bio
In a deal that was just signed, longtime Silicon Valley exec Shelby Bonnie has sold his social publishing start-up, Whiskey Media, to Santa Monica-based entertainment and interactive production company BermanBraun.
As part of the deal, BermanBraun will get three key sites of San Francisco-based Whiskey, including video entertainment-focused Screened, tech-testing site Tested and Anime Vice, which covers anime and manga comics. It will also acquire Whiskey’s content publishing platform.
Two other sites owned by Whiskey — games-oriented Giant Bomb and comic book database Comic Vine — will be sold to another media company, which is rumored to be CBS Interactive.
Heaped on top of the niche content, aimed at passionate fans, Whiskey mixes in a lot of social networking, as well as user-generated content, along with its professional fare.
Terms of the deal were not disclosed.
But the major reason for the acquisition is that BermanBraun — which also makes popular sites for large portals such as Microsoft’s MSN (the Wonderwall celebrity site and Glo, aimed at the women’s lifestyle arena) and AOL (upcoming sites on weather, men and pets) — needs to be able to scale its online content production. The Whiskey platform should be able to allow it to more easily grown and create new sites more quickly, as well as mine data across them.
“With the addition of Whiskey’s first rate team and powerful, state of the art publishing, data and social tools platform, we will be able to further enhance our user experience and engagement, and provide our advertising partners with unparalleled data insights,” said Lloyd Braun and Gail Berman, who run BermanBraun, in a statement. “One of the other great parts of this acquisition is that we will have Shelby Bonnie in our lives. We have enormous respect for Shelby personally and professionally, and his insights, relationships and acumen will be invaluable to us.”
Bonnie, who was once CEO of CNET, which he helped found, added: “I have had the pleasure of knowing both Lloyd and Gail for years and they are two incredibly high integrity people who bring passion and creativity to the interactive space. As we see a dramatic changes in the whole media landscape, success will demand new skills and talents. BermanBraun’s content skills and vision joined with the Whiskey platform will create a combination that I believe is without equal. I couldn’t be more excited for the combination.”

Source

There is an archive of the announcement live stream here http://www.justin.tv/giantbomb#/w/2764382992

And here is the Q&A that they did.

• -Giantbomb is relocating to the Gamespot offices with ComicVine. The old office has been vacated.
  • -Who is going? Giantbomb/ComicVine: Jeff, Ryan, Brad, Vinny, Patrick, Drew, Dave, Alexis, Tony, and Sara (plus some engineering people). They are also taking the couch, Cool Baby, and Luchadeer. They cannot take the brick wall. Gamebomb.ru is not being moved with GiantBomb.
  • -No content will change. The Bombcast is still every Tuesday, and Quicklooks/video content will resume soon. DO NOT send mailbag stuff to their old office.
  • -GiantBomb will have it's own content, and will have full editorial control over it. They will not cut any features just because Gamespot already does it.
  • -The site is being redesigned, but you won't see it for a couple of months.
  • -Meebo bar is gone. Ads may/will change somewhat in the future.
  • -There will be some crossover with the Gamespot staff, but they are their own entities. You will likely see cameos from the Whiskey staff in the future.
  • -Subscription details are coming soon. No current word on what's happening to dollars spent.
  • -According to Jeff, the real reason for the move is because the GB crew wants to hustle the GS crew in Warlords cash games. They did not keep Joey, but Drew can hustle just as well.
  • -At 4PM Pacific (7PM Eastern)today, Jeff will be talking with John Davison about why he was fired from Gamespot. This will happen on both GiantBomb and Gamespot.
#2 Posted by feargalr (1154 posts) - - Show Bio

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

#3 Posted by damswedon (499 posts) - - Show Bio

CBS has Giantbomb and Comicvine.

Tested has this.

#4 Posted by inferiorego (21257 posts) - - Show Bio

http://www.justin.tv/giantbomb#/w/2764382992

all the info you need

Staff Online
#5 Posted by Billy Batson (57799 posts) - - Show Bio

BB

#6 Posted by feargalr (1154 posts) - - Show Bio

@damswedon: That blew my mind, Im so happy for them

#7 Posted by Lvenger (18474 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't understand. Does this change anything about the site?

#8 Posted by Mercy_ (92634 posts) - - Show Bio

WAIT WAIT WAIT WAIT WHAT?

Moderator Online
#9 Posted by EdwardWindsor (14405 posts) - - Show Bio

@The Dark Huntress said:

WAIT WAIT WAIT WAIT WHAT?

this?

#10 Posted by ThePRez (276 posts) - - Show Bio

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. I hope it works for the best for all the guys

#11 Posted by Mercy_ (92634 posts) - - Show Bio
Moderator Online
#12 Posted by pikahyper (11547 posts) - - Show Bio

O.O That explains a lot.

#13 Posted by Billy Batson (57799 posts) - - Show Bio

@pikahyper said:

O.O That explains a lot.

like what?
BB

#14 Posted by Mercy_ (92634 posts) - - Show Bio

@Billy Batson said:

@pikahyper said:

O.O That explains a lot.

like what?
BB

Yeah O_o

Moderator Online
#15 Posted by damswedon (499 posts) - - Show Bio

@The Dark Huntress said:

@Billy Batson said:

@pikahyper said:

O.O That explains a lot.

like what?
BB

Yeah O_o

Giantbomb had almost no video content last week and little in the way of news. We had assumed it was because of GDC and Jeff's family problems but it turns out it was because everyone was clearing out the office.

#16 Posted by pikahyper (11547 posts) - - Show Bio

@The Dark Huntress said:

@Billy Batson said:

@pikahyper said:

O.O That explains a lot.

like what?
BB

Yeah O_o

Well like how staff haven't been around, no engineers, no quests, no Riezer, I had been hoping they were all busy making the next Whiskey site but they've been busy wheelin and dealin. Might also explain why the editorial staff weren't at Image Expo which I thought was extremely odd.

#17 Posted by Mercy_ (92634 posts) - - Show Bio

@damswedon: That makes sense. CV doesn't have anywhere near the same amount of video content and the news/reviews didn't dwindle (that I noticed). So I had no idea lol

Moderator Online
#18 Posted by Samimista (20609 posts) - - Show Bio

Heh wow...I'm kind of surprised by this.

#19 Posted by ReVamp (22863 posts) - - Show Bio

Watching it now.

#20 Posted by Omega Ray Jay (7594 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm sad to see the group being sold but CV going to CBS Interactive? Not sure what to make of that other than 'I have a bad feeling about this'.

#21 Posted by Samimista (20609 posts) - - Show Bio

I just realized....if CBS is going to buy this...I'm assuming they have say about changes in the site?

#22 Posted by pikahyper (11547 posts) - - Show Bio

@Samimista said:

I just realized....if CBS is going to buy this...I'm assuming they have say about changes in the site?

Depends on how hands on they are but ya, part to be the most worried about is the wiki, they would most likely increase the amount of editorial content which isn't bad and the ad's would change which isn't a big deal but the wiki is a big commitment that they might not be willing to take on, as long as they keep the current staff though the wiki should stay in place.

#23 Posted by Samimista (20609 posts) - - Show Bio

@pikahyper said:

@Samimista said:

Depends on how hands on they are but ya, part to be the most worried about is the wiki, they would most likely increase the amount of editorial content which isn't bad and the ad's would change which isn't a big deal but the wiki is a big commitment that they might not be willing to take on, as long as they keep the current staff though the wiki should stay in place.

I really don't know what to make out on all of this...Let's just hope that CBS doesn't make too much changes on this site. We're one big family that sticks together.

#24 Posted by feargalr (1154 posts) - - Show Bio

From what I can see, the platform of the site was sold to BermanBraun so comic vine will have to change that, but I'm pretty excited about this, I think there are some features on the site that have become redundant and others that aren't given enough room to breathe so this could be great for the site, hopefully we'll get to see some new features and maybe some video content! Just an idea :) Really though this is pretty exciting for the site and I hope it turns out as well as we want it to

#25 Posted by Mercy_ (92634 posts) - - Show Bio

This should maybe be pinned?

Moderator Online
#26 Posted by Omega Ray Jay (7594 posts) - - Show Bio

@Samimista said:

@pikahyper said:

@Samimista said:

I really don't know what to make out on all of this...Let's just hope that CBS doesn't make too much changes on this site. We're one big family that sticks together.

Unfortunately that means little to absolutely nothing when money is involved.

#27 Posted by Samimista (20609 posts) - - Show Bio

@Omega Ray Jay said:

@Samimista said:

@pikahyper said:

@Samimista said:

Unfortunately that means little to absolutely nothing when money is involved.

Sadly that's true.

#28 Posted by Mucklefluga (2524 posts) - - Show Bio

These next few weeks should be fun :S

#29 Posted by pikahyper (11547 posts) - - Show Bio

@feargalr said:

From what I can see, the platform of the site was sold to BermanBraun so comic vine will have to change that, but I'm pretty excited about this, I think there are some features on the site that have become redundant and others that aren't given enough room to breathe so this could be great for the site, hopefully we'll get to see some new features and maybe some video content! Just an idea :) Really though this is pretty exciting for the site and I hope it turns out as well as we want it to

Ah good point they did effectively buy the platform, that will be a huge problem for the wiki. Breaking down the multipass will be another one.

#30 Posted by damswedon (499 posts) - - Show Bio

@pikahyper said:

@Samimista said:

I'm going to add the Q&A they did to the first post but it seems like the Wiki is going to be rebuilt from the start.

#31 Posted by Samimista (20609 posts) - - Show Bio

@damswedon said:

@pikahyper said:

@Samimista said:

I'm going to add the Q&A they did to the first post but it seems like the Wiki is going to be rebuilt from the start.

Hmm wonder if that'll affect everyone's amount of wiki points.

#32 Posted by feargalr (1154 posts) - - Show Bio

@pikahyper: Very true. But Tony has been saying for ages about problems with the format of the wiki, like does a super hero have a mantle page if there are multiple people who were that hero, Batman for example, like everyone knows that Bruce Wayne was Batman, but there have been several others so, this does provide a huge opportunity for the Comic Vine that Im very excited for :) I wonder will Comic Vine get a new staff member..

#33 Posted by inferiorego (21257 posts) - - Show Bio

@feargalr said:

@pikahyper: Very true. But Tony has been saying for ages about problems with the format of the wiki, like does a super hero have a mantle page if there are multiple people who were that hero, Batman for example, like everyone knows that Bruce Wayne was Batman, but there have been several others so, this does provide a huge opportunity for the Comic Vine that Im very excited for :) I wonder will Comic Vine get a new staff member..

This has been a debate between staffers and mods for as long as I can remember.

Staff Online
#34 Posted by feargalr (1154 posts) - - Show Bio

@inferiorego: So at least 2 weeks then...

#35 Posted by pikahyper (11547 posts) - - Show Bio

@feargalr: Problem is that creating a new wiki platform is not an easy undertaking and with the limited amount of engineers (even if they get more) a change over could take a very long time unless we get lucky and they've been building it and that's why the engineers haven't been around lately. Switching over the wiki platform won't be straight forward either and there is a chance that data could be lost and the wiki might have to be down for a significant amount of time while the change-over happens, plus their will likely still be bugs and problems with a new system since there won't be adequate time for testing.

#36 Posted by Mr_riddler (15733 posts) - - Show Bio

Heads will roll.

#37 Posted by pikahyper (11547 posts) - - Show Bio

I also find it very odd to split up AV and CV, I would think an entertainment company would want CV over AV since more money could be made off it, hopefully AV will live through this.

#38 Posted by Omega Ray Jay (7594 posts) - - Show Bio

Companies and sites being absorbed generally don't bode well for the user base. Business wise it makes sense however things get overlooked and the 'personal touch' all but disappears, I hope that kind of approach wont be undertaken. I looked up CBS's other sites, they seem a little clinical and repetitive I don't really see where CV and GB will fit in with their current line up unless they are heading for an overhaul themselves.

#39 Posted by inferiorego (21257 posts) - - Show Bio

@feargalr said:

@inferiorego: So at least 2 weeks then...

Come on! I can totally remember past two weeks ago.....

you win this round

Staff Online
#40 Posted by Mercy_ (92634 posts) - - Show Bio

Wait...what happens to all our old posts then? I see this being problematic for the RPGers who have legit written works on the site.

Moderator Online
#41 Posted by G-Man (30683 posts) - - Show Bio

I'll post something later on. It's all gonna be great.

Staff
#42 Posted by pikahyper (11547 posts) - - Show Bio

@inferiorego: Have there been any changes around the office for you guys? and when will there be an official statement from CV?

#43 Posted by inferiorego (21257 posts) - - Show Bio

@pikahyper said:

@inferiorego: Have there been any changes around the office for you guys? and when will there be an official statement from CV?

@G-Man said:

I'll post something later on. It's all gonna be great.

Little known fact, I'm always in Chicago. I'm not in the Whiskey offices. I like to consider my office at the college the Comic Vine Satellite Campus.

Staff Online
#44 Posted by pikahyper (11547 posts) - - Show Bio

@The Dark Huntress said:

Wait...what happens to all our old posts then? I see this being problematic for the RPGers who have legit written works on the site.

Better start making backups fast, hope you read that how-to I wrote for you on printing to pdf.

#45 Posted by Mercy_ (92634 posts) - - Show Bio
@pikahyper

@The Dark Huntress said:

Better start making backups fast, hope you read that how-to I wrote for you on printing to pdf.

PM it to me again, por favor
Moderator Online
#46 Posted by Shanana (52937 posts) - - Show Bio

Ok, So how do I unsubscribe?

#47 Posted by feargalr (1154 posts) - - Show Bio

@inferiorego:

feargalr: 1, inferiorego: 600

I'll catch up!...... Eventually...

@pikahyper: It could get very messy, although I'm sure that this isn't the first time something like this has happened to a website so hopefully they have a plan worked out

And I thought today was going to be yet another boring day in the life of a hung over student... boy.. how wrong was I, all this excitement has totally taken my mind off my abysmal performance at last nights X-men quiz

#48 Posted by Delphic (1463 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm honestly a little skeptical about this. It might not say it on my profile page, but I've been a member of this site for going on two years now, and it's been a place where I enjoy spending much of my time. I hope the change will be for the better.

#49 Posted by Illuminatus (9497 posts) - - Show Bio

ComicVine is going to CBS? Really? Did I read that wrong? 

I hope you all realize what evil bastards CBS are. 

#50 Posted by Vortex13 (12223 posts) - - Show Bio

I like the way this site works personally. The real problem for me is that I'm not great with computers so if the format changes I'll have to re-learn everything lol. Also I've been here for almost four years and I'll miss the way this site is run and staff videos if they change which they probably will. Still I'll stay optimistic!