• 72 results
#1 Posted by Noteworthington (200 posts) - - Show Bio

Which Superhero do you think is the loneliest? And the least lonely?

In the comicbook world, friends are often merely a panel away. Some heroes thrive on their solitude, and others have always been a part of a team.

Teams have smaller inner circles, and even rogues often join forces with people that at the very least, respect their talents.

With this in mind, which Superheroes do you think truly feel alone in their world, and which do you think are thriving instead on their camaraderie and the life of a hero?

#2 Edited by Wolverine08 (45578 posts) - - Show Bio

I think Batman or Wolverine gets the title of the loneliest superhero. Yes, I know these guys have friends and family, but you have to look past that. Wolverine has basically spent about 125 years watching most of the people he loved die, built up relationships just to watch him die at his hand, seen good people die, and wonder he alone got to live. The guy has to be lonely sometimes.

Batman has family too, but I don't think that stops his loneliness. He's living in a torture of fear, anger, and pain. He has basically sacrificed his whole life to fight a mission/battle that he can't win. I doubt there are few, if any that can emphasize with the psychological hell that Batman lives in.

#3 Posted by M3th (2099 posts) - - Show Bio

I honestly can't think of anyone that is truly lonely or more so than any other hero.

Batman always has Alfred plus his sidekicks. Wolverine always gets a girl whether it be for him or to mentor.

Can I say Punisher, Loki, or Hancock? [×]√

#4 Posted by Dark_Guyver (2431 posts) - - Show Bio

Silver Surfer is usually pretty lonely.

#5 Edited by Blackdog2009 (1918 posts) - - Show Bio

It used to be the Hulk. One of the things I loved about the Hulk is that he was misunderstood, and alone in his predicament. I miss that angle of him. When he was the only one. Now days he's super smart, there's a Hulk family, he joined Shield... it's crap!

SS is also very lonely, I agree.

My vote goes to: SWAMP THING

#6 Posted by SheenLantern (6902 posts) - - Show Bio

Punisher's pretty lonely, right?

#7 Edited by Joygirl (19951 posts) - - Show Bio

Bane. Poor li'l Bane.

#8 Posted by JeanRalphio (1842 posts) - - Show Bio

Definetly non-avengers Hulk. He lived isolated in the desert at one point.

#9 Posted by SandMan_ (4528 posts) - - Show Bio

Punisher?

Batman has a family. Wolverine has a school full of people who love him...mostly.

#10 Posted by GraniteSoldier (8933 posts) - - Show Bio

Flash Thompson is pretty lonely. So is Silver Surfer as someone said above. I've always felt Thing was pretty lonely. Sure he's got the other Fantastic Four, but his powers essentially made him inhuman. It kind of isolated him, even around friends.

#11 Posted by TheGreatWhiteShark (14 posts) - - Show Bio

Martian Manhunter, his whole family died and he's the last of his species or maybe the silver surfer as he just surfs across the galaxy

#12 Posted by dondave (38892 posts) - - Show Bio

Martian Manhunter

#13 Posted by Pokeysteve (8661 posts) - - Show Bio

Punisher's pretty lonely, right?

My first thought too.

For least lonely I'm thinking Superman or Xavier.

#14 Posted by dondave (38892 posts) - - Show Bio

I think Batman or Wolverine gets the title of the loneliest superhero. Yes, I know these guys have friends and family, but you have to look past that. Wolverine has basically spent about 125 years watching most of the people he loved die, built up relationships just to watch him die at his hand, seen good people die, and wonder he alone got to live. The guy has to be lonely sometimes.

Batman has family too, but I don't think that stops his loneliness. He's living in a torture of fear, anger, and pain. He has basically sacrificed his whole life to fight a mission/battle that he can't win. I doubt there are few, if any that can emphasize with the psychological hell that Batman lives in.

While I think that bad, Martian Manhunter is basically him to a factor of 10.

Martian Manhunter is over 225 Million Years old, had to kill his twin brother who he shared a part of his soul with. Watched his entire race die including his wife and daughter. And then killed the other half of his species when he was Fernus.

#15 Posted by ULTRAstarkiller (6464 posts) - - Show Bio
#16 Edited by chem86 (401 posts) - - Show Bio

Deadpool - His curse is he can never have his love, Death. He can't stay dead both from his healing factor and thanos cursing him to life enteral.

also maybe Hulk

#17 Edited by Wolverine08 (45578 posts) - - Show Bio

@

@dondave said:

@wolverine08 said:

Martian Manhunter is over 225 Million Years old, had to kill his twin brother who he shared a part of his soul with. Watched his entire race die including his wife and daughter. And then killed the other half of his species when he was Fernus.

Damn.......... J'onn's got it bad. I feel for him.

#18 Edited by The Stegman (25990 posts) - - Show Bio

Phantom Stranger

#19 Posted by PeppeyHare (4310 posts) - - Show Bio

Punisher I guess

#20 Posted by frozenedge (1343 posts) - - Show Bio

My first thought went straight to Wolverine but then I remembered his longtime sidekick Jubilee is an immortal vampire and unless she becomes human again, those two are gonna be hanging around each other for as long as either of them live. I feel like Captain Universe is pretty lonely. Actually I say Larfleeze is the loneliest. He's so delusional and greedy that he remade his entire lantern corps after he killed them

#21 Posted by AssertingValor (5449 posts) - - Show Bio

Phantom stranger

#22 Posted by Yokergeist (12355 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman

#23 Edited by Mega_spidey01 (3078 posts) - - Show Bio

cyborg.

#24 Posted by Extremis (3363 posts) - - Show Bio

Silver Surfer from the little I know

#25 Edited by Immortal777 (7735 posts) - - Show Bio
#26 Posted by NorrinBoltagonPrime21 (6458 posts) - - Show Bio

Silver Surfer :(

#27 Edited by M3th (2099 posts) - - Show Bio

Dam I totally forgot about Silver Surfer. [×]

π

#28 Posted by batmannflash (6226 posts) - - Show Bio

Phantom Stranger. He's supposed to walk the Earth as a lonely person anyways

#29 Edited by batpala (339 posts) - - Show Bio

@joygirl: He had the Secret Six as his family for a while. [I am still upset about the ending bc we'll never see Scandal Savage/Bane loveliness and Bane being all protective over her] I'm going to say Martian Manhunter.

#30 Posted by MarlboroMan (1790 posts) - - Show Bio

Surfer seems like the loneliest one

#31 Edited by ThexX (1576 posts) - - Show Bio

Bucky Barnes (Winter Soldier). No Girlfriend anymore. And the only people that know the guy is alive is Cap, Hawkeye, Wolverine, Daredevil, Nick Fury, Doctor Doom, & some Shield higher ups.

#32 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (13626 posts) - - Show Bio

Martian Manhunter, his whole family died and he's the last of his species or maybe the silver surfer as he just surfs across the galaxy

@dondave said:

@wolverine08 said:

@

@dondave said:

@wolverine08 said:

Damn.......... J'onn's got it bad. I feel for him.

J'onn is definitely very lonely but i wouldn't say he's the lonliest. He created a new family with the Justice League as well as in his various alternate identities. This obviously cannot completely compensate for the losses he's suffered , but its the best start he could hope for.

#33 Edited by Dernman (15714 posts) - - Show Bio

Back in the day you couldn't get any lonelier. Still holds up.

#34 Posted by dondave (38892 posts) - - Show Bio

@avenging_x_bolt: I wouldn't say the Justice League is enough. Most of them can't even look at him in his true form (Wally), Green Arrow can't even have a proper conversation with him unless he's shapeshifted into a human.

#35 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (13626 posts) - - Show Bio

@dondave said:

@avenging_x_bolt: I wouldn't say the Justice League is enough. Most of them can't even look at him in his true form (Wally), Green Arrow can't even have a proper conversation with him unless he's shapeshifted into a human.

how long ago were these stories written? Isn't it possible that their feelings towards him might've changed since then? and what about the other 100 plus members of the JL?

#36 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (13626 posts) - - Show Bio

@dondave said:

Its still better than nothing and more than certain superheroes have had which is my point.

#37 Posted by dondave (38892 posts) - - Show Bio

@dondave said:

how long ago were these stories written? Isn't it possible that their feelings towards him might've changed since then? and what about the other 100 plus members of the JL?

I can't remember the Wally instance but the Ollie instance was from JLA:Classified. And I get he has some camaraderie with them but they can't replace what he had on Mars because as I'm sure you know they were a collective society and to be alone after experiencing 225 million years of that is unfathomable. I think it was perfectly illustrated in Action Comic #774

#38 Posted by TheManInTheShoe (3878 posts) - - Show Bio

I guess the Doctor is not really a superhero.

i would say Daredevil. He's almost never on a team and he stays as far away from others as possible.

#39 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (13626 posts) - - Show Bio

@dondave said:

@avenging_x_bolt said:

@dondave said:

I can't remember the Wally instance but the Ollie instance was from JLA:Classified.

arent JLA: Classified stories set in the past?

And I get he has some camaraderie with them but they can't replace what he had on Mars because as I'm sure you know they were a collective society and to be alone after experiencing 225 million years of that is unfathomable.

True but i still think that you're undervaluing the importance of the JL to J'onn. "Some comraderie" seems like a term more applicable to a bridge club. Like i said earlier, its not perfect but it is good and J'onn cherishes it all the same. we all know you cant replace family, but you can add to it.

I think it was perfectly illustrated in Action Comic #774

must be something wrong with my computer. i can enlarge the images.

#40 Posted by TDK_1997 (15074 posts) - - Show Bio

Martian Manhunter,Silver Surfer and Wolverine.

#41 Posted by dondave (38892 posts) - - Show Bio

@dondave said:

@avenging_x_bolt said:

@dondave said:

I can't remember the Wally instance but the Ollie instance was from JLA:Classified.

And I get he has some camaraderie with them but they can't replace what he had on Mars because as I'm sure you know they were a collective society and to be alone after experiencing 225 million years of that is unfathomable.

True but i still think that you're undervaluing the importance of the JL to J'onn. "Some comraderie" seems like a term more applicable to a bridge club. Like i said earlier, its not perfect but it is good and J'onn cherishes it all the same. we all know you cant replace family, but you can add to it.

It was some years ago but it nothing has happened to suggest it has changed. I still don't think the league can replace what he had on Mars.

#42 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (13626 posts) - - Show Bio

@dondave said:

@avenging_x_bolt said:

@dondave said:

@avenging_x_bolt said:

@dondave said:

It was some years ago but it nothing has happened to suggest it has changed. I still don't think the league can replace what he had on Mars.

No one is saying it can. are you even reading what i posted? Just because someone comes to love something else doesn't mean its a replacement. thats not how love works.

#43 Edited by dondave (38892 posts) - - Show Bio

@avenging_x_bolt said:

@dondave said:

@avenging_x_bolt said:

@dondave said:

@avenging_x_bolt said:

@dondave said:

No one is saying it can. are you even reading what i posted? Just because someone comes to love something else doesn't mean its a replacement. thats not how love works.

Maybe replace is the wrong word, but he can't achieve the kind of happiness he had on Mars with what he has on Earth

#44 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (13626 posts) - - Show Bio

@dondave said:

@avenging_x_bolt said:

@dondave said:

@avenging_x_bolt said:

@dondave said:

@avenging_x_bolt said:

@dondave said:

Maybe replace is the wrong word, but he can't achieve the kind of happiness he had on Mars with what he has on Earth

well if you had said that at first then we wouldn't have needed to have had this conversation lol.

#45 Posted by Noteworthington (200 posts) - - Show Bio

This is a ton of lonely.

#46 Edited by 14NC3 (1794 posts) - - Show Bio

In my opinion some of the loneliest superheroes would be Punisher, Deadpool, Silver Surfer, Rorchach

#47 Posted by tikhunt (676 posts) - - Show Bio

Captain Mar-Vell, must be pretty lonely to be the only superhero to actually stay dead.

#48 Posted by karrob (4264 posts) - - Show Bio

@dernman said:

Back in the day you couldn't get any lonelier. Still holds up.

Agreed! The most depressing ending theme ever...I was a kid thinking, " Why dont they just leave him alone?" Lol

#49 Edited by Arkhamc1tizen (2146 posts) - - Show Bio

If anybody says Batman I will slap them.

#50 Posted by XxGin (1447 posts) - - Show Bio

Constantine