Which of these New 52 series do you recommend?

• 63 results
Avatar image for ser_rickard_waters
Ser_Rickard_Waters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Being a relatively new reader into the world of comics, the only major comic I read being Watchmen, I have began a list of comics that caught my eye. Here are my interests:

• The Flash
  • Batman
  • Aquaman
  • Wonder Woman
  • Supergirl
  • Swamp Thing
  • Animal Man
  • Nightwing
  • Justice League

Again, I'm new to the world of comics and this website in general. Give me your opinions on this list I made and some others I have not listed you recommend. Thank you very much.

Binski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can't go wrong with any of those choices

lifeofvibe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

CrouchingTiger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ser_rickard_waters: not Supergirl. I would go superman or action IMO. All of the justice league comics (flash, batman, etc.) are good.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By RustyRoy

The Flash and Batman.

RedLantern23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Batman

Swamp Thing

Animal Man

Nightwing

Aquaman

In that order

batmannflash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 30

#7  Edited By batmannflash

You picked great ones! Those are basically my favorites right there. Although I haven't read much of Supergirl, so idk about that.

Batman/Superman Issue 1 by Pak came out this week, and you should check that out. I really liked it. Other ones I like that aren't on your list include: Batman & Robin, Green Lantern, Batgirl. But you've pretty much covered the best ones.

Batman is the absolute best. Snyder has written some good stuff in there. Wonder Woman and Flash are right behind Batman. Those are my three favorites.

Aquaman, Swamp Thing, Animal Man, Nightwing, and Justice League are all great.

Avatar image for themanintheshoe
TheManInTheShoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

The Flash

Batman

Justice League

Vhyra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Add Suicide Squad to that list. Do itttttttttt. 8) DO ITTTTTTTTTT.

Avatar image for thetimestreamer
theTimeStreamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By theTimeStreamer

anything but the flash and supergirl

Vhyra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thetimestreamer said:

anything but the flash and supergirl

NO SUPERGIRL WHY?! State your reasoning! Yeah the sales are lacking a bit but ahhh it's so good. And that art is gorgeous!

Avatar image for fallen_crippled
Fallen_Crippled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

1. Aquaman
  2. Justice League
  3. Batman
  4. The Flash
  5. Animal Man
  6. Nightwing
  7. Swamp Thing
  8. Wonder Woman
  9. Supergirl
Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

People are saying "No Supergirl" because everybody bases there opinion on the first three issues of a comic run and no matter how many writer changes it has that opinion will never change

theTimeStreamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vhyra: i barely survived the h'el on earth tie-ins. sure it had some decent issue 2-3x but this book has made me hate supergirl. it depicts her so dumb.

Ser_Rickard_Waters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thetimestreamer I can see Supergirl, from what I've been reading, still curiosity, but why is The Flash horrible? I heard it's pretty good.

Avatar image for rulerofthisuniverse
RulerOfThisUniverse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Batman is my favorite book, Justice League is my second, Aquaman is my third, The Flash is my fourth, and Nightwing is my fifth. I recommend those, but all of these titles are good choices.

NovaRichRider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By NovaRichRider

Nightwing, Swamp Thing, Superman Unchained

theTimeStreamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ser_rickard_waters: the flash is running on fumes, on the reintroduction of old fan favorites. the stories are mediocre at best, but the art is pretty but not jaw-dropping.

Raw_Material

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 9

Aquaman

the_tree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 14

• The Flash - Solid.
  • Batman - Hit and miss.
  • Aquaman - Terrific.
  • Wonder Woman - Terrific.
  • Supergirl - Meh.
  • Swamp Thing - Great.
  • Animal Man - Great.
  • Nightwing - Solid.
  • Justice League - Okay.

The_Tree rating scale of greatness from worst to best: Meh. Okay. Solid. Great. Terrific.

Now, for books you don't have listed that I'd recommend:

• All-Star Western
  • Batman and Robin
  • Batman/Superman
  • Batwoman
  • Green Arrow (Starting with issue #17)
  • Green Lantern (Starting with issue #21)
  • Red Lanterns (Starting with issue #21)
  • Suicide Squad (Starting with issue #20)
Avatar image for battle_forum_junkie
Battle_Forum_Junkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

@ser_rickard_waters:

Welcome to Comic Vine, and welcome to comics! :)

Like people have been saying those are some great choices. The ones I'm not currently reading I've heard great things about.

Personally, though; I have to recommend Batman, Nightwing, and Aquaman.

DonFelipe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 8

You should check out Green Arrow from issue #17 onwards when Lemire & Sorrentino took over and revived the whole thing - story & artwork are amazing. Speaking of great artwork, also try Batwoman.

ccraft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

• The Flash
  • Batman
  • Aquaman
  • Wonder Woman
  • Supergirl
  • Swamp Thing
  • Animal Man
  • Nightwing
  • Justice League

I recommend the ones I put in bold, the ones I crossed off I've tried them didn't like it, Nightwing was ok I guess. I haven't tried the other ones, I'd recommend GL new 52 vol 1 was good. Also Batman/Superman was great issue 1 came out 2 days ago.

No Caption Provided

Ser_Rickard_Waters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It seems people have negative reactions about the new 52 Flash, I'm REALLY interested in the Flash's character. Which..... series(?) should I read to get a better understanding of Flash?

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By RustyRoy

@ser_rickard_waters: If you like Flash then definitely get the New 52 series, its really great.

Holuntron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ser_rickard_waters: Don't listen to these haters. The Flash is the best New 52 book right now (besides Batwoman. Seriously, read Batwoman. I mean if you had to read one Bat Book, read Batwoman. Sorry? Did you say something? Can't hear you. Reading Batwoman. Gonna have to cancel our date, Jennifer Lawrence. I'm too busy reading Batwoman. You can go on your own adventure, Doctor. I'm reading Batwoman. If I don't stop reading Batwoman right now I'm going to have to buy an Xbox One? Xbox, read me my Batwoman.)

But yeah. The Flash is crazy good.

Holuntron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Holuntron

@ser_rickard_waters: Actually, New 52 Flash is really, really good. I mean it's no Batwoman, but it is really good. Find the first couple volumes.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

These good ol' fellas, right here. The art and colors are fantastic and the story is actually pretty interesting in my opinion.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

Out of those: Wonder Woman, only.

Ser_Rickard_Waters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well went out a few hours earlier to my local book store (We don't have Comic Stores on Guam, or I just can't find any) and the smallest section being the comics and manga section. I bought the first two volumes of Aquaman and I really enjoyed volume one. However, I came across Batman and Robin, Wonder Woman, Batwoman, Batwing, and some Harley Quinn comic. The only thing that stopped me was the fact that they had volumes 2 and 3. It was frustrating just to scan that entire section looking for Batman and Robin & Wonder Woman Volume 1. Also, is Batwoman new reader friendly? It looks gorgeous by looking at the cover. Do I need to know anything about Batwoman before reading the new 52?

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

• The Flash - Good.
  • Batman - don't waste your time.Read a good run like Morrison's.
  • Aquaman - Great until Throne of Atlantis
  • Wonder Woman - Each issue is amazing
  • Supergirl - Average
  • Swamp Thing - Great even after Snyder.
  • Animal Man - Astounding.
  • Nightwing - Hit and miss
  • Justice League - don't waste your time
QueenCorp15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

BY FAR READ BATWOMAN!!!! the art and story telling is amazing and lately green arrow has been great with its new creative team Justice League Dark is good too ......... even though it was cancelled I...Vampire was amazing too and recent so u could probly collect its back issues

Holuntron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ser_rickard_waters: You don't have to know anything about Batwoman before New 52. It does a pretty good job explaining most of her story (she actually didn't have too much before, anyway). Actually, there was really only one important run with her before New 52: Elegy, which ran from Detective Comics 854-860 and is also collected in a trade under the same name. Like I said, you do not have to read that, though. Starting with New 52 perfectly fine; if you do not always understand a story point, it was be explained or implied enough to where you do not have to get the older stories. That being said, however, it does make more sense to start at the beginning of her New 52 series as opposed to jumping in partway, especially with a few of the most recent issues, because it is essentially one ongoing story that does not always recap. BUT if you cannot start from the beginning it would be very easy to read articles/summaries of issues you missed online. The only problem there is that you would have to be careful not to read too many spoiler for issues you ARE going to read yourself. Personally, I would read as much of the actual comic as possible, seeing as J. H. Williams III's art and story are so great together, but that is not always possible, of course.

But to answer your question, no you do not have to know any Batwoman pre-New 52 ha.

Gyhy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Gyhy

I'm extremely new to the comic book scene as well. I started read the collected volumes at the library and if your willing to take the opion of a newbie who has very little knowldge of pre neww 52 comics I have to say that I enjoy reading the Flash, aquaman, suicide squad, red hood and the outlaws and wonder woman. I cant say I really enjoy batman.

Also would someone be able to tell me what a 'trade' is? I keep running into this word but Im not sure what they mean by a trade

EnigmaLantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They're all great series which meet different tastes, my only advice is to try all of them if you can and see which one appeals more to your taste in comics. The Flash, Batman, Aquaman, Wonder Woman and Justice League I have all enjoyed. My only other recommendations would be Green Lantern, Red Lantern (especially after #21) and Superman Unchained.

RulerOfThisUniverse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why do so many people here not like Batman? I'm new to comics too, so I've only read the first six issues so far, but its my favorite series. I highly reccomend it. The story is incredibly interesting and the plot becomes so intriguing the more you read. My jaw probably dropped towards the end of issue 3, not just because of the advancement in the plot and the final page "What Just Happened I Wanna Read More" moment, but because of how well-written the scene was. This series made Scott Snyder become my favorite writer, he gives the book a detective/horror vibe and I love it. The art goes perfectly to match. I reccomend it more than any other book and urge you to buy it now.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@rulerofthisuniverse:

I guess people are still angry about the somewhat anti climatic ending to Death of The Family in issue #17.

Bruxae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#38  Edited By Bruxae

Definetly pick up Swamp Thing, my favorite book in all of N52, followed by Batman. Justice League is good action, not as much story.

Be careful with Wonder Woman, shes one of my favorite characters but the book gets dull really fast.. Flash is kinda dull too. Thats all ive read from OP's list.

Holuntron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Holuntron

@gyhy: A "trade" is short for "trade paperback" but they can also be hardcover. Basically, it's a published collection of a few (usually 6-12) issues of either an ongoing or limited series. Sometimes the word applies to any form of graphic novel, but most commonly it is specific to a few issues in one book. For example, those collected volumes you mentioned are probably trades. Something like The Flash Vol. 1 or Wonder Woman Vol. 2 would probably be a trade. Even if they don't have a number and instead just have a subtitle but still collect a certain run of issues they are a trade i.e. Batwoman: Elegy contains Detective Comics issues 854-860. That is another "trade".

Avatar image for wavemotioncannon
WaveMotionCannon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Talon

blkson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#41  Edited By blkson

@ser_rickard_waters said:

Being a relatively new reader into the world of comics, the only major comic I read being Watchmen, I have began a list of comics that caught my eye. Here are my interests:

• The Flash
  • Batman*
  • Aquaman
  • Wonder Woman
  • Supergirl
  • Swamp Thing
  • Animal Man
  • Nightwing
  • Justice League*

Again, I'm new to the world of comics and this website in general. Give me your opinions on this list I made and some others I have not listed you recommend. Thank you very much.

The ones I have bolded I would recommend picking up. They are written really consistent and have fun and engaging stories ( In My Opinion). The ones that are crossed out are not necessarily bad books, but they arent nearly as strong as the ones that are bolded. The ones with astericks I would only recommend reading certain story arcs

*Batman: Nite of the Owls is a nice read. Also Year Zero, which is a revamp of Batmans orign,has just started so Batman might be a nice book to pick up since you are a new reader. However the book has been kinda lackluster overall

*Justice League has been a real let down so far. I would recommend you pick up the Throne of Atlantis story arc . This book also has a asterick because Throne of Atlantis is a crossover story that features the Aquaman series. So I don't know how anyone can recommend you pick Aquaman and not Justice League because you would have to buy Justice League to understand what was happening.

Animal Man isn't bolded or crossed out because, I've never read it so I don't know if its enjoyable or not.

Ser_Rickard_Waters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Instead of the comic just entitled "Batman", what batman series do you recommend, and it could be from the Bat family as well. The Dark Knight looks interesting. I also want to get to have a better understanding of Superman, as I was never a fan of him, and I've decided to take a leap of faith. What are some good Superman series?

Holuntron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ser_rickard_waters: The plain ol' Batman book actually is pretty good in my opinion (especially the first 12 issues) but if you did want another I would suggest Batman Incorporated. The run is actually winding down soon but it is a great story, even if you have heard the major turning point. If not, it will be even more interesting! As for Superman, I can't really help you too much. I really liked the first issue of Superman Unchained but that is the only one to come out so far ha. Of course, it would be a perfect jumping on point, issue 1 and all.

RulerOfThisUniverse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ser_rickard_waters: Batman is the best in my opinion. I also read Batman and Robin, which is a great book (though I don't like the art very much). I read the first issue of Detective Comics, and I thought it was really good, but I've heard it goes downhill from there. As for The Dark Knight, I don't read it but I've heard it's terrible. I also haven't read Batman Incorporated, which some people seem to love and others seem to hate.

Holuntron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ser_rickard_waters: Batman is the best in my opinion. I also read Batman and Robin, which is a great book (though I don't like the art very much). I read the first issue of Detective Comics, and I thought it was really good, but I've heard it goes downhill from there. As for The Dark Knight, I don't read it but I've heard it's terrible. I also haven't read Batman Incorporated, which some people seem to love and others seem to hate.

Oh is Batman and Robin good? I always wanted to look into it but I'll probably pick up the Dick/Damian series first at some point. I never was much of a Robin fan until Damian. Nightwing is the man, though.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

#46  Edited By Teerack

The Flash is the best one on the list.

Holuntron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@teerack said:

The Flash is the best one on the list.

this.

Ser_Rickard_Waters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm now taking a look at Batgirl, it looks interesting enough and I've always wanted to learn more about Batgirl. However, what stopped me from buying it is that it is Barbara Gordon. I know she was paralysed in a the spine in the Killing Joke and had to be in a wheelchair and became Oracle. Do you have to know any other knowledge before jumping in to it? And how is it compared to those on my list?

RulerOfThisUniverse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ser_rickard_waters: Before the New 52 reboot Barbara Gordon was Batgirl, then was shot and paralyzed by the Joker, becoming Oracle. Eventually others took up the mantle of Batgirl. In the New 52, however, no one else was Batgirl and Barbara recovered and went back to being Batgirl, which is shown in the series.

In other words, yes, that happened and she recovered.

Holuntron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm now taking a look at Batgirl, it looks interesting enough and I've always wanted to learn more about Batgirl. However, what stopped me from buying it is that it is Barbara Gordon. I know she was paralysed in a the spine in the Killing Joke and had to be in a wheelchair and became Oracle. Do you have to know any other knowledge before jumping in to it? And how is it compared to those on my list?

I like Batgirl too ha. You don't need to know anything at all going in. Basically just paralysis and that Jim Gordon is her father (sorta implied) but he doesn't know she's Batgirl. I would say it is better than Nightwing, Supergirl, and Justice League out of those on your list. I have not read enough Swamp Thing and Animal Man to say there. Of the four Bat Books on my monthly pull list, though, (Batman, Batman Inc., Batwoman, and Batgirl) I would say it is my least favorite. However, I used to read Batwing and it is better than that.