Which Marvel NOW! series would make for a cool video game?

DanialCarroll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

Edited By DanialCarroll

Unlike my previous video game discussions, where I've focused on characters or teams, I thought this time around I would turn to current on-going series...

ALL-NEW X-MEN/UNCANNY X-MEN

I've put these two together because, for the moment, they are both intertwined. I don't think either would make for a good video game, however. All-New's roster is just too big, which would only suit a MUA-style game, but doing that would then lose the intimacy the series is going for. Uncanny has a much tighter roster, but so far it is mostly about recruiting new members. Also, besides Mystique's little troupe, neither series really has a villain as yet, so either game would be about fighting the other team, which doesn't really sit right with me. Besides, games need cannon-fodder, and so far, neither of these series has had any, save one brief scene with the Angels.

AVENGERS

Avengers storyline seems, to me, like it would make for a good video game. There are missions, cannon-fodder, and villains. The only problem, again, would be the large roster, so it would have to be an MUA-style game. In this case, I don't think that would necessarily be a bad thing.

AVENGERS ARENA

From the outside, this series screams video game. Hell, it even features powerbars. However, when you think about it, it really wouldn't. The story is an intimate, character-driven one, and simply having a deathmatch-type game would not do it justice. There is also a distinct lack of cannon-fodder, so it would essentially be a fighting game.

CABLE AND X-FORCE

So far I've really been digging this series, and it seems like it could work as a game. It has a nice, tight roster of non-flying characters (which I'll explain further in Iron Man). Cable is dispensing out the missions, one of which featured some decent cannon-fodder in the form of virus-infected humans. The main problem I can see is that Domino, Dr. Nemesis, and Forge's power-sets would be hard to realize in a game context. I mean, how do you interactively convey luck?

CAPTAIN AMERICA

I only read the first few issues of this series, but I do remember it had a villain and fodder, which is a good start. Now Cap did have a game fairly recently, and despite less than stellar reviews (60% on Metacritic), I actually enjoyed it, so I would definitely be willing to give another one a go.

DAREDEVIL

I admit, I dropped off this book around #16, but as I've mentioned before, I do love the character and think he has great potential for a video game. In fact, there was one in development years back that never saw the light of day, and looks like it would have been very cool.

DEADPOOL

This guy's lucky enough to already be getting his own game come June...

FANTASTIC FOUR

Another series I'm not reading, but really, Fantastic Four stories hold endless possibilities as far as a game would go. My only concern would be how Reed's power would be utilized offensively.

FF

I was just thinking the other day that FF would make for a fun kids game. I'm not sure what style exactly, but it just has that sort of fun vibe about it.

GAMBIT

I've always loved Gambit from way back in the animated series days, and I think he would make for a cool video game lead. This series, however, lost me after only a few issues, so I'm not sure how it would serve as a basis for one.

GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY

It's too early to tell where this series is heading, but I do remember thinking thinking that DnA's run would make for an awesome game back when I read it. The introduction of Iron Man to the team, however, adds that pesky issue of flight again.

HAWKEYE

I lost interest in this series ages ago (sacrilege, I know), but I think Hawkeye as a character would make for a great game character... though his gimmick of never missing would not work. The archery components of Skyrim, and more recently, Tomb Raider, are some of my favourite features of those games.

INDESTRUCTIBLE HULK

Hulk has had games before, but they have never been too... deep. I think this series format of SHIELD-issued missions would in a game context, however, and would like to see Banner incorporated in the gameplay somehow.

IRON MAN

I said I would explain why flight is an issue in games, and here it is: When you have a character that can fly--not just glide, or swing, but actually fly--you run into several problems. First of all, you need a sandbox big enough that you're not just going around in circles, and secondly, you need that massive area to be detailed enough that when you land, it still looks good. Iron Man has had games before, but your freedom was severely limited, as was the graphical detail of each level. The Superman Returns game had a similar problem. It's world was big enough, but once you landed to fight the bad guys, it was like you travelled back in time to GTA 3. I'm not saying it couldn't be done (GTA 4 had flight and was fine), but it adds a LOT to the production costs. Something which superhero games are usually lacking.

MORBIUS: THE LIVING VAMPIRE

If there is potential here, I'm not seeing it. I don't even know how he got his own series to begin with. Based on sales figures, it won't be around for much longer anyway.

NEW AVENGERS

Despite my lover for this series and its characters, I think it's just TOO epic for a video game. It also (for now) lacks any villain or cannon-fodder.

NOVA

Nova has the flight problem again, and is made even worse by being interstellar flight. I'm sure it could be made into a kind of space flight sim, TIE Fighter style, but then you would miss out on the intimate character stuff that is making the series great so far.

SAVAGE WOLVERINE/WOLVERINE

Wolverine has had games before, and being so popular, I'm sure he'll have more to come, so I'm not really going to focus too much on him.

SCARLET SPIDER/SUPERIOR SPIDER-MAN

I've lumped these two together because of all Marvel's characters, Spider-Man gets the most games, and I don't think either of these two variations would add enough to make a new one much different to the ones that exist.

SECRET AVENGERS

I'm not reading this series, but I think it would hold a lot of gaming potential based on the roster alone. I mean, Nick Fury Jr, Hawkeye, and Black Widow? That sounds like one awesome game right there!

THOR: GOD OF THUNDER

Thor recently had a film tie-in game that was horrific (38% on Metacritic), but that's not to say he couldn't have a decent game. With all the realms, his powers, and supporting cast, I think you'd have to be crazy to dismiss it outright.

THUNDERBOLTS

I have to say, I'm not really digging this series. It does have the whole mission-based thing going for it, as well as lots of shooting and fighting, but I'm just not feeling it. Perhaps it's my hated of Rulk. Who knows.

UNCANNY AVENGERS

I'm not reading this one, but I think it's large roster would pose the same problems as I've mentioned before. It also has several flyers on the team.

UNCANNY X-FORCE

I only recently discovered this series (and loved it), but it hasn't been going long enough to really judge any gaming potential. Psylocke would make for a very cool game character though.

VENOM

Despite similarities to Spider-Man, I think the addition of guns and shape-shifting would provide enough difference to make a Venom game rather cool.

WOLVERINE & THE X-MEN

I love this series and the characters within, but I'm not sure how it would work as a game. The enemies they've encountered have been more about scheming than outright fighting. I guess there were some zombie clowns in the last arc. Again, though, this team has a fairly large roster, so would have to be an MUA-type game I think.

X-FACTOR

Even though I'm not reading this one, I would really like to see a game based on a mutant detective agency. I could even see it as more of an adventure game than a fighting one, more along the lines of The Walking Dead game.

X-MEN

This series hasn't actually come out yet, but I think the team has a lot of potential.

X-MEN: LEGACY

I think Legion, with his endless array of powers, would make for a very cool video game lead, but I'm not sure this series would make the best base for one. The concept of his mind being a prison-like location would make for some interesting play and story mechanics, but other than that, it doesn't really have that much fighting.

FalconPuuunch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

I'm not sure if I would play any of these if they were games.

I just wanted to reassure you that you aren't digging Thunderbolts because it's a horrible book.... and maybe a little bit because of Rulk, but just a little bit.

DanialCarroll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@falconpuuunch: Really? None at all? Which series/characters would you like to play?

FalconPuuunch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By FalconPuuunch

@danial79: Well, I would like to play a GREAT X-Men game someday. One that's character driven and not some over the shoulder free roam game like Ultimate Alliance. Something like the Arkham series, but for Marvel. Of course at this point any Marvel game like that would be great. Marvel hasn't really produced a game with great graphics, gameplay, machanics and story yet which is kind of annoying since they have a lot of great characters. I also can't believe we live in 2013 and a Marvel VS DC game hasn't happened yet. Is it really too much to ask that these two publishers suck up their pride and give us what we all want?

dtm1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I thought Greg Rucka's Punisher was also part of Marvel Now. I know it was cancelled but even if it were a film it'd have been the John Woo Hard Boiled of Marvel movies. The THQ game in 2005 deserved a sequel anyway in my eyes. They could have modelled it like a twisted hybrid of Syphon Filter and Manhunt. I do agree on the Thunderbolts but not just because of the lack of direction in the story. It just wouldn't work commecially for the total lack of credible villains.

Avatar image for supremehyperion
SupremeHyperion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#5  Edited By SupremeHyperion

I think it would be Avengers, especially with it's newer members and the possibilities for each character to have solo levels before coming together fight as a team in later levels. be a great chance for multiplayer as well.

My second choice would be Morbius.. how cool would it be to play a game as a marvel vampire on the run in the middle of the city.

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 10

#6 god_spawn  Moderator

I'd go after Venom or Scarlet Spider. New Avengers would be fun. I'd love to play as IM, Dr. Strange, Black Bolt etc. Each character would bring something new. I'd also probably play an Uncanny X-Men game if done right. I think an adventurous kind of free roam game would be fun while you hunt down new mutants and they don't necessarily have to be actual canon characters. All the while dealing with a possible bigger threat like a Mr. Sinister or something or perhaps a showdown with some of the Jean Grey School characters.

Avatar image for bluelantern1995
BlueLantern1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 26

These are the top 5 that sound good:

• Guardians of the Galaxy
  • Venom
  • Indestructable Hulk
  • Hawkeye
  • Scarlet Spider/Superior Spider-Man
captainsaul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I'd love Marvel to bring out their take on Injustice God's Among Us.

Chronus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avengers.

Avatar image for bluelantern1995
BlueLantern1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 26

Amen Brother. I would love for them to put in someone like Malekith in there...man wouldn't that be awesome?

DanialCarroll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dtm1980 said:

I thought Greg Rucka's Punisher was also part of Marvel Now. I know it was cancelled but even if it were a film it'd have been the John Woo Hard Boiled of Marvel movies. The THQ game in 2005 deserved a sequel anyway in my eyes. They could have modelled it like a twisted hybrid of Syphon Filter and Manhunt.

That would be pretty cool. I can see a newer Punisher game being along the lines of the recent Max Payne.

My second choice would be Morbius.. how cool would it be to play a game as a marvel vampire on the run in the middle of the city.

Does Morbius have a villain? I only read the first issue and it really wasn't my thing... as I'm sure you can tell from my write-up :P

I'd go after Venom or Scarlet Spider.

Yeah, I'd say Venom would be one of the more feasible choices, both technically and financially.

@captainsaul said:

Amen Brother. I would love for them to put in someone like Malekith in there...man wouldn't that be awesome?

I agree, though sadly, I think the MvC series is as close as we'll ever get :(

dtm1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By dtm1980

@danial79: An up to date shooter would be feckin fantastic!

Also I never followed Morbius except through Franken-Castle. He was leader of the Legion of Monsters then, which was pretty cute. Their sworn enemy was Dr Robert Helsgard. But lo and behold he was defeated by Franken-Castle after storming the castle on a dragon with a mounted minigun, killing a shiteload of zombie nazis and rescuing Morbius and Manphibian. Would make a great Soul Reaver type game on his own though!

Avatar image for deranged_midget
Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 4

Huh, I'd definitely love to see Hawkeye or Scarlet Spider!

Avatar image for supremehyperion
SupremeHyperion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#15  Edited By SupremeHyperion

@danial79 said:

Does Morbius have a villain? I only read the first issue and it really wasn't my thing... as I'm sure you can tell from my write-up :P

I think Morbius would work mostly because he is his own worst enemy. it could work off the vampire v humanity choice set up where decisions you make impact how people see you and whether or not outside parties (such as spider-man or other heroes) decide to come after you. an open world new York slums environment would be a cool place to glide around and fight crime, or the law while trying to figure out whether or not Morbius himself will fall back into the realm of evil or find his human side and maybe find a cure for his disease.

Nerx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#16  Edited By Nerx

Illuminati sounds fun

ZombieMowlcher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By ZombieMowlcher

Dr.Strange

Bystander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ZombieMowlcher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By ZombieMowlcher
Bystander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cyberwarrior: What does that mean?

Alright, I'l get this maximally simple, Venom, Iron Man, Dr. Strange and Nova games would be cool.

gunmetalgrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By gunmetalgrey

Thor: God of Thunder three-player co-op.

Veshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

All New X-Men/Uncanny X-Men actually sounds like it could be promising.

Bystander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thor: God of Thunder three-player co-op.

Thor, Volstagg and Hogun? :)

gunmetalgrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cyberwarrior: I suppose you haven't been reading Thor: God of Thunder. The three players would be young Thor, current Thor, and old King Thor.

zeeshanaayan07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By zeeshanaayan07

Thanks for share a great information

Bystander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Bystander

@cyberwarrior: I suppose you haven't been reading Thor: God of Thunder. The three players would be young Thor, current Thor, and old King Thor.

o_o Sounds bizzare. )

Pop123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hickman's heavy hitters like Hulk, Iron Man, Hyperion, and Thor with special customizing abilities and gear in a 4 player Co Op game would be sweet.