Which is more popular? Manga or Comics

Guru_Crack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 559

love my comics, but think that worldwide manga outsells them by massive amounts. Rather watch anime than read manga 2bh.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ee15da0e0aad
deactivated-5ee15da0e0aad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

I personally think Manga is more popular.

There are two people in my school that read comics(One of them being me) but there are already 5 people in my class alone that are reading/watching naruto.(Not that they read anything besides Naruto, so you can't really call them avid manga readers, but whatever :P)

KittyParker13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#153  Edited By KittyParker13

More people read manga. However, comic book characters are more iconic and more people have seen the comic book based movies than they've read manga.

aquaman01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#154  Edited By aquaman01

People know more about "main" characters in Comics: people know about Spidey, Bats, WW, Superman, Thor, etc.... The only manga characters really talked about with casual audience is people like Naruto, Goku, Vegeta, and a few more. Heck, I personally have never even heard a non-geek mention Luffy from One piece and that is a pretty big manga/anime.

However, manga itself is MUCH more popular. Very weird how manga characters aren't more widely known...

deadcool_XD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

in the U.S. comics by a wide margin, in the whole world still comics, but close to manga.

Avatar image for petey_is_spidey
Petey_is_Spidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#156  Edited By Petey_is_Spidey

People do realize they're the EXACT same thing. Manga is just Japanese created comics. That's like asking which is better, cars or German cars. Its kind of a dumb question.

Avatar image for symbioticspider-man
SymbioticSpider-Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Vivide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Manga by sales

Comics by movies

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

MANGA easily. comics aren't even that popular anymore even though we have crap ton of movies and tv shows.

Mangas sell insane all over the world.

NeonGameWave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Comics.

But sometimes I think there are and will be a selection of people out there who are more intertwined with anime/manga and in love with it if you will than a lot of comic book enthusiasts although that is arguable. When you compare Otakus and Comic enthusiasts you can see a difference in the passion but I think their overall even for me, as both are equally important to me :)

Avatar image for simon_the_digger
Simon_the_digger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Manga, well where I'm from.

josephgomes619

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#162  Edited By josephgomes619

@aquaman01: Nobody read comic outside US. In Canada most of my male highschool friends used to read Naruto. Nobody talked about comics. Nobody reads comic, it's just the movies that are popular

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

Assuming you're referring to american comics...

How can anyone say comics when manga sells in millions while the top selling comics just reach 100-200k.

BB

I wonder why that is. What makes manga sell so much more than comics?

Avatar image for symbioticspider-man
SymbioticSpider-Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sog7dc said:

@billy_batson said:

Assuming you're referring to american comics...

How can anyone say comics when manga sells in millions while the top selling comics just reach 100-200k.

BB

I wonder why that is. What makes manga sell so much more than comics?

Maybe the insane amount of anime :P I have a feeling nobody would read manga if all these anime didn't exist.

Avatar image for xxmarvelousdcxx
XxMarvelousDCXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Manga, easy, by FAR. I love comics a lot more, but to say comics are more popular is pure fanboyism. Sure, Batman, Superman, Spider-Man and Wolverine will be more popular than just about any manga character just because pop-culture, but Manga outsells Comics by millions. In other words, the idea of comics is more popular, but comics themselves are not.

PrinceAragorn1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Anime would be a great factor, they follow events almost frame by frame, and people want to know what happens next... that's how I got started personally. Plus there's a vast amount available online, you read through them, and if you feel something is worth the support, you buy it.

Marshall_Long

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#167  Edited By Marshall_Long

I'm gonna say Manga because of One Piece, and Dragon Ball. Those both sold some crazy numbers.

ParaChomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Manga ARE comics. I hate you kids and your new fangled slang.

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

TheDandyMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

Where I am, manga is more popular by quite a lot. I only know a couple of other lads who read comics while a whole group of people like manga. Might partly be because girls seem more able to get into it and some boys will then start reading them to look impressive (from my personal experience at least).

jojjimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Comics, i mean you have 4 comic book based films that made over 4 billion..nuff said.

mikex20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Comics are more mainstream than Manga in western countries.

Avatar image for midnightdragon18
midnightdragon18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

no one reads comics

Look at YouTube

A handful of people review comics

But literally everyone does manga reviews

arthurkerr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

it depends on whom you ask and what story you want to see.

In mangna you can go as far as seeing Loki Child detective..... So for those Whom wanted to see Loki as a good guy here is your chance. I only got to see a few shows of this and it was not all bad.

Mangna has allot to offer a wide viewing group. It has spread out to films and really has just about everything. But it is in most cases a one shot deal.

Comics on the other hand have been around for a long time because they offer many views to the story.

Superman can indeed branch out and date Wonder Women , one day they may even have kids and even further down the road you can see what type of parents they would make.

Batman has any number of story lines you can look into , and the paths that open up when you add other heroes make for a infinite amount of idea's and stories and this is what makes comics great.

If you are looking for a one time thing Mangna may be your cake.

But if your looking into a huge well of stories that have yet to truly be tapped.

Comics is the place to go for we are just getting into the good parts.

We are just getting into the age when adults can sit down after the kids have been put to bed and the real stories begin.

Ones where we look deep into character and we find a soul.

Ones that give us more depth then a mud puddle and we can say.

I need to let that sink in a bit.

Spice is life and life is spice (Doom the movie) let the spice flow.

If indeed we wanted a great epic tale above all other tales what would we want to take place.

Comics offer the reader the chance to see in color if they can imagine what the words they read would look like. For those whom wonder what I refer to I bring up books like (Tomas Covenant and the white gold) The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant is a series of ten high fantasy novels written by American author Stephen R. Donaldson.

Great books I loved them all. However it has been some time since I read them.

To many books to say by name but the idea is can a artist draw what you imagine?

When they do does it help you imagine more later?

As we grow older we want our stories to have deeper meanings , we want them to reflect a bigger aspect of ourselves. More seasoned more willing to explore bigger things then simply a hero saving the day. We want to see a hero saving the day and living life. A soul whom can take on the bad guy and juggle work , love life and kids. One that says if that was me how would I do it.

midnightdragon18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Attack on titan sells more copies worldwide than dc and marvel in a one year.

Guru_Crack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 559

#177  Edited By Guru_Crack

I woudl assume that Manga has a much bigger following but that being said Comic Book Characters like Batman, Spider-Man & Superman ect... are more well known than any Manga character.

Although that being said isn't Manga literally just Japanese Comics?

silent_bomber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Where I am, manga is more popular by quite a lot. I only know a couple of other lads who read comics while a whole group of people like manga. Might partly be because girls seem more able to get into it and some boys will then start reading them to look impressive (from my personal experience at least).

I think maybe the younger readers in the UK (which possibly make up a lot of the market) stick to the western comics over Manga.

Incomplete Sales figures do turn up every now and then for us, and when they do those cheap Panini collected reprints of Marvel comics that you see in Smith's tend to do noticeably better than any Manga. UK comics (few as they are) still seem to hold top spots.

I think Viz might be the most successful in Britain, followed by Beano, then Marvel reprints, then 2000AD, then Naruto.

I have a suspicion that a very high percentage of 2000AD buyers are now old stalwarts (like 40s and 50s) who grew up during the comics heyday and just stuck with it (that is what I feel from visiting the 2000AD forums).

In the rest of Europe though, Franco-Belgian comics and Manga stomp US and British comics.

Vonstantine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No kid reads comic books

midnightdragon18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

bump

Gotoucanario

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#181  Edited By Gotoucanario

A-listers from comics are more popular and known because Marvel and DC make most of the comic sales worldwide, whereas manga is more spread around in different works, I'd say overall manga is more popular atm.

Avatar image for heirtothekingdom
HeirToTheKingdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Manga.

Jgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I love both manga and comic, but can never convince my sister to read any comic.

Also yes manga sell more.

Comic property are more mainstream, popular abd makes more money.

devilmoonlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Manga sells because they offer simple narratives that appeal to simple minds.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ed476aa4e89a
deactivated-5ed476aa4e89a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Manga because of those damn weebs jk but I will say manga is definitely beating comics in sales mostly due to anime being so popular over here in the West. I myself have recently found myself enjoying manga/anime more then comics/comic TV shows. Side question is it weird anime/manga has inspired more to use chop sticks then my actual mother who herself didn't care what utensils I used.

Revold

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

If you are anywhere outside the US, manga probably outsells American comics by great margins.

brucerogers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Manga outsells, but the characters from American comics are far more iconic.

TheCount

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#189  Edited By TheCount

@symbioticspider-man: Manga's are usually turned into anime because they are popular. Manga is more widely received because you can easily find non-superhero stuff.

Most superhero stuff is simply not that interesting in comparison to an original work which comes as fresh air, new faces, new universe, new rules, new ideas. It's restrictive and probably keeping the industry back by occupying so many excellent writers. Not to say there aren't good superhero stuff, but normal superhero's just aren't that palatable for most past the age of 17.

devilmoonlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thecount said:

@symbioticspider-man: Manga's are usually turned into anime because they are popular. Manga is more widely received because you can easily find non-superhero stuff.

Most superhero stuff is simply not that interesting in comparison to an original work which comes as fresh air, new faces, new universe, new rules, new ideas. It's restrictive and probably keeping the industry back by occupying so many excellent writers. Not to say there aren't good superhero stuff, but normal superhero's just aren't that palatable for most past the age of 17.

1. You know absolutely nothing about comics. Most Superhero comics in Dc are past ages of 17.

Dc Comics has Vertigo a entire publication devoted to Horror, and Dark Fantasy.

https://comicvine.gamespot.com/vertigo/4010-521/

Not to mention Marvel used to have Epic. Epic published comics Hellraiser, and Dreadstar. The reason is that people think American comics are for children. I can pull hundreds of examples that prove them wrong.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Avatar image for supermanforever
Supermanforever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Comics curbstomp

TheCount

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#192  Edited By TheCount

@devilmoonlight: Hmm, ok. I didn't say there aren't superhero comics over the age of 17, I said superhero's, are much less palatable past that age. You seem to be conjuring up a scenario. You're right, comics aren't only for children.

Anyway, my point is that there plenty of great comics, but you have to wade through a plethora of superhero comics first, and the point isnt that they are bad but it is one demographic and finding all that other stuff is difficult in comparison to manga.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Unlike western comics, Manga covers numerous genres, so I imagine it's draws in more peopel

GXrevs06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Though I read both, I have always learned more to Manga than comics. The overly convoluted continuity and frequent changes to the creative teams has always put me off. This affects the way the characters are characterised as each writer has their own interpretation and leads to an inconsistency in art(in the New 52 Flash run, Francis Manpol left around issue 25 and the art changed). Manga is so much more consistent in that regard as it's done by a single person and you don't have to worry about decades worth of complicated continuity, crossovers events and constant retcons to the lore, including references to stuff from past stories that you are not going to understand.

Whenever I start a new comic, I always find myself having to research the "reading orders" beforehand so as not to miss anything important. With manga, you can simply start at chapter 1 and read on from there until you catch up. A single series with the same writer and consistent art. I think manga is just so much easier to get into by comparison, especially if you are a newbie. Of course, this is just frommy experience

Tidal_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Popular manga tankobans sell in the millions, whereas here, we salivate over a mere 30k.

stormshadow_x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

Manga is far more popular in the U.S as comics are seen to be a pretty nerdy thing while Manga for some reason is given a pass and as someone who recently graduated My Highschool even the Cliche cool kids thought anime was okay ( Just not the really Sexual hentai stuff) but comics were seen as the ultimate form of Lame ( ironically enough Comic book movies were fine)

Now I'm not sure why Manga is more popular amongst the General Pop even though I find it weird the General Pop loves any form of Media based off comics like games or Movies. I think alot of people see Comics a kids thing including they're animation and see anime as an all ages thing. I want to say the biggest allure if Manga is just one singular story with arcs and aren't in bigger universes so they never have to deal with what comics to read in events or a favorite character being portrayed differently because of a new writer.

Unlike western comics, Manga covers numerous genres, so I imagine it's draws in more peopel

This could't be further from the truth, Many Comics explore other Genres.

ad-arts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Manga with a force of a thousands curbstomps. This isn't even a contest.

Tidal_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@stormshadow_x They have manga for curry and bread. Every sport under the sky, sci-fi futures of all sorts, and more. If American comics are diverse in genres and ideas, then manga is 10x so, especially since there's also the added level of craziness.

stormshadow_x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

@tidal_ said:

@stormshadow_x They have manga for curry and bread. Every sport under the sky, sci-fi futures of all sorts, and more. If American comics are diverse in genres and ideas, then manga is 10x so, especially since there's also the added level of craziness.

Those aren't genre's those are pretty specific, While it true comics may not explore food or sport they do fall under every standard Genre of action, comedy, romance, etc

syncroniam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#200  Edited By syncroniam

She-Hulk alone is more popular than all anime and manga combined who are niche even in japan

No Caption Provided