Which is more important for a successful comic?

lordxtu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Which is more important for a successful comic? (56 votes)

The ART 25%
The STORY 50%
The CHARACTERS 25%
 • 
deaditegonzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Unexpected pick from me: Art. If its just a book of good art, I can at least still enjoy that, but ive seen Art bad enough that it has been hard to finish a book with a good story.

markpop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

After only 5 issues. I stopped following supergirl because the art is ugly.

MonsterStomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By MonsterStomp

So long as the art is visually acceptable for me to notice what is happening, its a non factor. Story is easily the most important thing.

batmannflash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 30

Unexpected pick from me: Art. If its just a book of good art, I can at least still enjoy that, but ive seen Art bad enough that it has been hard to finish a book with a good story.

Me too.

I actually picked art for the same reasons. Even if a comic book has a bad story, I'll still like it thanks to the art. But a lot of times I can't read the story because of the art, which happens sometimes with old comics.

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#5 JediXMan  Moderator

Ideally, all three. But good art is necessary as a draw. If the art is bad, then a lot of people won't give it a chance.

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

User Lists: 10

I picked characters I own comics with bad art and poor story telling but I still read them because they have awesome characters.

timelord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

The characters for me. Since I'm on a budget if I don't know any of the characters in a book I am not going to check it out.

PrinceAragorn1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If all three are at average levels, and I've to pick one high characteristic, I'll pick story.

RDClip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can accept average/decent art if there is a good story. If the art is awesome but the story is frustratingly bad, I can't stand it.

Marco_Kidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Characters. Batman will sell well no matter what.

PeppeyHare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#11  Edited By PeppeyHare

Can tolerate a meh story if the art is good. Not so much vice versa

Spideysense44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

If your art is bad i just wont be able to read the book.. that's exactly why I do not read Thunderbolts

Avatar image for thatguywithheadphones
thatguywithheadphones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Characters, by far

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

#14  Edited By Fallschirmjager

@marco_kidd said:

The Characters. Batman will sell well no matter what.

this

unfortunately

Inverse is also true. Green Arrow sells what? 20-25k units per month. You won't find very many books right now with better story or art.

Avatar image for thetruebarryallen
TheTrueBarryAllen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Art is actually one of the most important aspects, quickly followed by Story & Characters.

If the art has enough appeal to pull readers in due to its visual appearance, then the book will have a reader. If the story and characters end up being mediocre enough but the art is a joy to look at, people will keep buying.

So all in all, art is whats important.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fbfd5d291164
deactivated-5fbfd5d291164

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 74

User Lists: 7

Bad art will ruin a book.

green_skaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really want to say story or characters, but if the art is bad I just can't get past it.

Rabbitearsblog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 79

User Lists: 3

I chose story because I can get by with bad art as long as the story is really good. But, there would be times where the art would be so bad, that I can't really stick with the story because I can't understand what's going on in the artwork.

The_Titan_Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mostly about the story. Characterization comes after.

JeanRalphio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By JeanRalphio

Anyone who doesn't vote story...

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for yung_ancient_one
Yung ANcient One

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

ART. How is Story winning? I have heard nothing but great things about Kingdom Come but I have yet to read it because the art is just awful for me. Even if the story is great if the art is annoying me I will not want to buy it. If the art is good I can always just ignore the story and make my own story up with the beautiful art.

For me, it's

I. Art.

II. Characters (people will not want to read about a character they dislike and rather read a story of a character they love, plus if the character is written poorly the story is an automatic fail even if it is good.)

III. Story

( +)

deaditegonzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ART. How is Story winning? I have heard nothing but great things about Kingdom Come but I have yet to read it because the art is just awful for me. Even if the story is great if the art is annoying me I will not want to buy it. If the art is good I can always just ignore the story and make my own story up with the beautiful art.

For me, it's

I. Art.

II. Characters (people will not want to read about a character they dislike and rather read a story of a character they love, plus if the character is written poorly the story is an automatic fail even if it is good.)

III. Story

( +)

Kingdom Come has my favourite art... period. Im not going to try and convince you, unique tastes and what not, I just never thought id ever hear/see this opinion... ever.

Knightfall225

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

the story even though i love staring at art

Yung ANcient One

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Yung ANcient One

@deaditegonzo: There is a first time for everything and the art is awful for me. I have wished that they retell Waid's story with another artist then I can finally read this Amazing book.

(+)

GraniteSoldier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#25  Edited By GraniteSoldier

I'm actually going to say character. A solid, well fleshed out, multifaceted character can survive a few bad stories. Too many, however, and eventually the character will degrade as a result or poor surroundings. But stories are driven by the characters, their actions and personalities. The story is a product of the character.

LyraFay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 12

Art. I'm a visual person, I live and breath pictures whenever I look for a comic book or novel (the front cover has to win me over) that's what I go for. That's why I picked up Paul Pope's Battling Boy and Neil Gaiman's Black Orchid because of their art. But character is also important, I can't read something unless I can relate to the character on a personal level!!

sentryman555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By sentryman555

The story. You can have the character being as true to themselves as you want them to be but they can't survive a bad story. That's how I felt about Superman: Grounded. I hated the art for Jeff Lemire's Sweet tooth but stuck with it cause of the story.

Veshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I can't tolerate a good story with bad art (New X-Men with Igor Kordey), and I can't tolerate a bad story with good art (Ultimatum). I might be able to tolerate a good story with good art, even if it skims a little character-wise.

BallPointHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By BallPointHero

For me, characters come first. Always.

Second is story, and the distant third is art.

I don't particularly care how stellar the art is, if someone mischaracterize my heroes, then there isn't any point left in reading the issue.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

Story

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

No wait, characters

Avatar image for themanintheshoe
TheManInTheShoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

All of the above, but story firstly.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

All of these are very close but Character>Story>Art.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's a lot easier for me to read a book with good writing and bad art than the other way around. I also won't read a book with characters I like if I feel they are treated poorly (I'm looking at you, Uncanny X-Force volume 2).

JeanRalphio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

make my own story up

THEN WHAT'S THE F@#KING POINT OF READING THE COMICS.?

Yung ANcient One

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If the art is good I can always just ignore the story and make my own story up with the beautiful art.

( +)

@yung_ancient_one said:

make my own story up

??? Confused. My point is all 3 are important for a successful comic but the most important and it isn't by a lot is the ART. If the writing is bad, I'll just make up my own story. The point of reading comics is to be entertained and if the art is a success but the story is lame then what is the point of reading it?

Worse case scenario if the Art is bad, I won't want to read it.

Worse case scenario if the Characters are bad, Hardcored fanatics will be angry.

Worse case scenario if the Story is bad, I ignore it and appreciate the fine art (+)

Alak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Alak

Characters, because A-listers will always find a way to sell books regardless of quality in story. A lot of the cancelled series in DC's New 52 had excellent stories and great artists, but they just didn't sell well compared to JL, Batman, Superman, etc.

HumanRocket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

The story. If the story is done well it can turn a B list character into an A list character.

JeanRalphio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yung_ancient_one said:

If the art is good I can always just ignore the story and make my own story up with the beautiful art.

( +)

@jeanralphio said:

@yung_ancient_one said:

make my own story up

??? Confused. My point is all 3 are important for a successful comic but the most important and it isn't by a lot is the ART. If the writing is bad, I'll just make up my own story. The point of reading comics is to be entertained and if the art is a success but the story is lame then what is the point of reading it?

Worse case scenario if the Art is bad, I won't want to read it.

Worse case scenario if the Characters are bad, Hardcored fanatics will be angry.

Worse case scenario if the Story is bad, I ignore it and appreciate the fine art (+)

I'm saying if you make your own story up,why read the comics in the first place?

Avatar image for captnmcdeadpool
captnmcdeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By captnmcdeadpool

A little tougher to nail down than the 3 given categories indicate. I think aa technically proficient writer can tell a good story, the art be good and it all revolve around a good story...and one can still walk away unsatisfied.

Ill be honest, I know its almost impossible in this day and age but when a writer either, a) really likes the character or b) understands the character and can convey the character in a way thats consistent with the characters presentation, then it shows. But a pasion for the character being written is key; fans pi k up on it right away.

A good example was J Michaels Stracynskis Thor. Im uncertain of his personal evaluation of the character, but presentation was of his Thor was consistent with what fans wanted to see: Thor stomping the crap out of opponents, or otherwise engaged in an epic, earth shaking skirmish. This is why those issues are still talked about.

Now add that to somone who has a passion for the character, and you get Jason Aaron. Hiz run on Thor has been oustanding so far, and his passion for the character is apparent.

What can I say? Enthusiasm is contagious.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The story. If the story is done well it can turn a B list character into an A list character.

Agreed

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By AllStarSuperman

@deaditegonzo said:

Me too.

I actually picked art for the same reasons. Even if a comic book has a bad story, I'll still like it thanks to the art. But a lot of times I can't read the story because of the art, which happens sometimes with old comics.

the reason I still read some of scott lobdells superman.

Avatar image for teentitansfan94
TeenTitansFan94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Characters are the most important. The art is the least important to me. However, without good characters, it's harder to have a good story.

kriminal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

whats more important to live, air, food or water?

I have dropped books because of the art( hawkeye, wonderwoman), the story( daredevil, green lantern corps, marvel now thunderbolts) and the characters(batman[yeah I said it. FIGHT ME!], superboy).