• 78 results
#1 Posted by BlackopsX21 (274 posts) - - Show Bio

That Alien From That Show Ben10 Is A Obiouse Rip Off Of Human Torch Does Any One Else See It

#2 Posted by Shavo (2061 posts) - - Show Bio

not a battle...

#3 Posted by Deranged Midget (17974 posts) - - Show Bio

Mate, this isn't a battle. I'll move this for you into Gen.Discussion.

#4 Posted by BlackopsX21 (274 posts) - - Show Bio

k thx

#5 Posted by Sideslash (5918 posts) - - Show Bio

Sentry is a rip off of Superman.

As is Superior, Supreme, etc, etc.

#6 Edited by jloneblackheart (5492 posts) - - Show Bio
#7 Posted by BlackopsX21 (274 posts) - - Show Bio

LOL

#8 Posted by colonyofcells (2038 posts) - - Show Bio

Superman is a ripoff of Philip Wylie's Gladiator. Batman is a ripoff of Zorro. Zatara is a ripoff of Mandrake.

#9 Posted by Reignmaker (2235 posts) - - Show Bio
#10 Edited by Dragonborn_CT (23928 posts) - - Show Bio

Deadpool started out as one for Deathstroke.

#11 Edited by Xanni15 (6758 posts) - - Show Bio

Roland Deschain is a ripoff of The Man With No Name.

#12 Posted by ccraft (5609 posts) - - Show Bio

female Question is a rip off of The Question, I believe.

#13 Posted by KnightRise (4762 posts) - - Show Bio
#14 Posted by BlueLantern1995 (2448 posts) - - Show Bio

First one must define rip off. I define rip off as having a character be in the same scenario and have similar powers/skills as his original(basically being blatant like with Eragon copying Lord of the Rings and Star Wars for example).

With this in mind I'd say that: Batman is a obvious rip off of Zorro.

#15 Posted by Battle_Forum_Junkie (8748 posts) - - Show Bio
#16 Edited by TheManInTheShoe (3878 posts) - - Show Bio

The whole freakin' Squadron Supreme is a rip off of Justice League and Maximums are rip offs of the Avengers.

#17 Edited by SC (13409 posts) - - Show Bio

I am going on the basis if the character is inspired by and done good, even if not initially? Then not a rip off, but if its forced and uncreative and not even funny in a parody way? Then rip off...

#18 Posted by Strider92 (16838 posts) - - Show Bio

@jloneblackheart: IIRC that Captain America rip-off was intentional. They were pissed off about the copyrights Marvel had on Cap so they basically told the same story with a different name to annoy Marvel lol.

#19 Posted by Veshark (9058 posts) - - Show Bio

Jim Starlin basically admitted that Thanos was a rip-off of Darkseid.

#20 Posted by TheAcidSkull (18838 posts) - - Show Bio

Solomon Grundy is a rip off of hulk.

deadpool is a death stroke rip off.

#21 Edited by johnkmccubbin91 (3487 posts) - - Show Bio

@theacidskull: Not really as Solomon Grundy's based on a rhyme, and a zombie, whereas Hulk is a man that changes into a monster. Also Hulk is a rip off in himself as he's basically a Jekyll and Hyde character.

#22 Posted by ZombieMowlcher (689 posts) - - Show Bio

wasn't grundy before hulk?

#23 Posted by johnkmccubbin91 (3487 posts) - - Show Bio
#24 Edited by jloneblackheart (5492 posts) - - Show Bio

@strider92 said:

@jloneblackheart: IIRC that Captain America rip-off was intentional. They were pissed off about the copyrights Marvel had on Cap so they basically told the same story with a different name to annoy Marvel lol.

Oh it was intentional. I'm pretty sure he did it after he got the boot when he was doing Heroes Reborn for Marvel. He ripped off Cap and a bunch of other Marvel characters. See the post by SC above yours. That is from the same books. His names is Smash. There were also rip offs of Bucky and the Howling Commandos.

@veshark said:

The statements I have read say that he wasn't based off Darkseid and if anything, he based Thanos on Metron.

#25 Edited by fodigg (6136 posts) - - Show Bio

I think we need to distinguish between those that are meant to be stand-ins (Captain Ersatz) and those who were just ripoffs. Some of the big debates are Swamp Thing vs. Man-Thing, X-Men vs. Doom Patrol, etc. But characters like Deadpool, Lobo, Sentry, etc are clearly meant to take the piss out of existing characters.

#26 Posted by TheAcidSkull (18838 posts) - - Show Bio

@theacidskull: Not really as Solomon Grundy's based on a rhyme, and a zombie, whereas Hulk is a man that changes into a monster. Also Hulk is a rip off in himself as he's basically a Jekyll and Hyde character.

Hulk isn't a RIP off, he was Based on jekyll/hyde and Frankenstein, because stan lee was generarly a fan of classic horrors, same way Lizard was Based on Wolf Man.

#27 Posted by johnkmccubbin91 (3487 posts) - - Show Bio

@theacidskull: That still in a small way makes him a rip off. I have no problem with that, as inspiration is a brilliant thing, but it still doesn't change that. Still my main point was that Grundy and Hulk are different types of characters anyway.

#28 Posted by TheAcidSkull (18838 posts) - - Show Bio

@theacidskull: That still in a small way makes him a rip off. I have no problem with that, as inspiration is a brilliant thing, but it still doesn't change that. Still my main point was that Grundy and Hulk are different types of characters anyway.

well being inspired and having a rip off is different, Hulk was inspired by mr Hyde and Frankenstein, while deadpool for example is a BASIC rip off of deathstroke, even though right now the characters are vastly different, AND even though deadpool is much cooler :P.

Anyways, hulk and grundy ARE in many ways similar, and yet different. but i see your point.

#29 Edited by johnkmccubbin91 (3487 posts) - - Show Bio

@theacidskull: I see inspired and ripped off as a fine line, as you could easily say that Hawkeye was inspired by Green Arrow, or Thanos was inspired by Darksied, although I do get your point, mine is just that it's a fine line. I personally like how Hulks inspired by Jekyll and Hyde, as I loved the book, and the way Stan Lee used that for Hulk was brilliant.

Yeah they do have similarities but I see Grundy as more dimwitted, and slow, whereas Hulks misunderstood.

#30 Edited by TheAcidSkull (18838 posts) - - Show Bio

@theacidskull: I see inspired and ripped off as a fine line, as you could easily say that Hawkeye was inspired by Green Arrow, or Thanos was inspired by Darksied, although I do get your point, mine is just that it's a fine line. I personally like how Hulks inspired by Jekyll and Hyde, as I loved the book, and the way Stan Lee used that for Hulk was brilliant.

Yeah they do have similarities but I see Grundy as more dimwitted, and slow, whereas Hulks misunderstood.

Good points man :)

#31 Posted by DeathpooltheT1000 (12629 posts) - - Show Bio
#32 Posted by Veshark (9058 posts) - - Show Bio

@veshark said:

The statements I have read say that he wasn't based off Darkseid and if anything, he based Thanos on Metron.

Metron was the initial inspiration, by apparently Roy Thomas suggested beefing him up and imitating Darkseid. Starlin was quoted as saying:

Roy took one look at the guy in the Metron-like chair and said : "Beef him up! If you're going to steal one of the New Gods, at least rip off Darkseid, the really good one!"

#33 Edited by The Stegman (26102 posts) - - Show Bio

@battle_forum_junkie:

Hyperion has to be one of he most blatant Superman ripoffs ever.

This. The entire Squadron Supreme is a ripoff of the Justice League.

#34 Edited by End_Boss (735 posts) - - Show Bio

@deathpoolthet1000: You cannot be serious. That hideous mess is not better than Cap's real suit. Even if it was, I doubt we'd be able to tell past the Liefield.

I'd like to submit Colonel America. Yes, he's slightly different from Cap, but c'mon.

#35 Edited by AllStarSuperman (23013 posts) - - Show Bio

Captain America was a Sheild ripoff. Bucky was a Robin ripoff. Spiderman was kinda a robin ripoff. Static is a spiderman ripoff. Wolverine was a hawkman ripoff. Ben 10 is a dial H ripoff.

#36 Posted by Raw_Material (3300 posts) - - Show Bio

Black Bat from Dynamite ripping off Batman, even though I heard it was the other way around at one point.

#37 Posted by russellmania77 (15852 posts) - - Show Bio

apollo is a rip off of superman except supes isnt... nevermind

wolverine's mask that we know today is a rip off of batman's

the justice friends are rip offs of avengers

deadpool rip off of deathstroke

human torch is a rip off of human torch

mr.fantastic is a rip off of plastic man

justice league is a rip off of justice society

power puff girls z is a rip off of both dragonball z and power puff girls

#38 Posted by blackwolf0925 (149 posts) - - Show Bio

@russellmania77: You last line made laugh out loud. Never notice the reference though ha ha. Man I miss the powerpuff girls, wish they made a sequel where they were a bit older though.

#39 Posted by russellmania77 (15852 posts) - - Show Bio

@blackwolf0925: nah, the writters arent as good as they used to be lol but yah those where the days

#40 Posted by DeathpooltheT1000 (12629 posts) - - Show Bio

@end_boss: I am serious, i like this costume it looks like the american flag, but at least it looks less insane that the Captain version.

Also i have to say, both costumes are awful and the only ool thing are the pirate boots.

#41 Posted by Delphic (1534 posts) - - Show Bio

#42 Posted by KingOfAsh (3636 posts) - - Show Bio

Goku & Superman

#43 Edited by spidermanandsuperman (283 posts) - - Show Bio
#44 Edited by KingOfAsh (3636 posts) - - Show Bio
#45 Posted by sora_thekey (8185 posts) - - Show Bio

TECHNICALLY Fantastic Four is a rip-off of Justice legue of America since they were created by Stan Lee with the purpose of challenging DC's JLA.

#46 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (13701 posts) - - Show Bio

Superman is a ripoff of Philip Wylie's Gladiator. Batman is a ripoff of Zorro. Zatara is a ripoff of Mandrake.

the first two aren't ripoffs.they draw inspiration from them but enough differences to be considered their own character. hell, Wylie's Gladiator wasnt even a crimefighter.

#47 Edited by Avenging-X-Bolt (13701 posts) - - Show Bio

TECHNICALLY Fantastic Four is a rip-off of Justice legue of America since they were created by Stan Lee with the purpose of challenging DC's JLA.

thats hardly a rip-off. more like an "answer". The Avengers are Marvel's rip-off.

#48 Posted by StrangeMan (411 posts) - - Show Bio

Wow, some people here really need to think about their definition of "rip off"...

#49 Edited by russellmania77 (15852 posts) - - Show Bio
#50 Posted by Perpetr8rMike (590 posts) - - Show Bio

@strangeman: Too true, most of these are at best inspired by not Rip-Offs, and their taking pieces of costums as rip offs.. really?