Which female superhero movie would be the most succesful?

MatthewParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 19

Options are

1. Wonder Woman portrayed by Gal Gadot

2. Mystique portrayed by Jennifer Lawrence

3. Black Widow portrayed by Scarlett Johansson

4. Storm portrayed by Halle Barry

5. Captain Marvel portrayed by ?

MatthewParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Anyone?

godzilla44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

WW and BW are probably the best chooses and Storm by Halle Berry is the worst one.

Thorverine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I'd only be interested in Mystique or Storm.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Wonder Woman or Black Widow

_Atomikill_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Do I have Captain Marvel confused with someone, or?

Avatar image for v_scarlotte_rose
V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

It's kind of tricky. Wonder Woman is the most iconic, and potentially popular with the general public, but we don't know what her portrayal will be like. Black Widow, Mystique and Storm have been on screen before, but it's hard to say if they'd be suited to a solo film. Captain Marvel would be new to a lot of people, but then so is Guardians Of The Galaxy and there's hype for that, possibly because of Marvels track record.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Wolverine008

@xwraith said:

Wonder Woman or Black Widow

Oscuro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Wonder woman easily. Name recognition alone would draw the most crowds. Plus she has never been seen on the big screen so I think comic fans would go see it out of anticipation and curiosity( to see if they f-ck it up).

Avatar image for dark_vengeance_
Dark_Vengeance_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Manchine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

1) Wonder Woman Most obvious answer of course.

2) Black Widow with the Marvel Movie Universe this has made her a known figure

3) Mystique Xmen movies she's pretty well known and not hated.

4) Captain Marvel would be the same as taking a chance on Guardians of the Galaxy. Would have to her some way to the avengers

5) Storm with Halle Berry GOD NO! We already have her at her best in cat woman.

Pokeysteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

Widow, easy. She's already established and developed.

Aros001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What the f**k is people's problem with Halle Berry as Storm? I saw the X-Men movies and she was fine (the only things wrong with her were what was wrong with the movies).

To answer the question, definitely Wonder Woman. Black Widow, Storm, and Mystique are characters more suited for team movies. As for Captain Marvel, they'd probably make a movie of the original Captain Marvel first with Carol Danvers as a side character first.

MatthewParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@_atomikill_: Ms. Marvel (carol Danvers) took on captain marvells name to honor him after he died

reactor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By reactor

True that, but I'm not sure a Black Widow movie would really be a blockbuster.

Pokeysteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@reactor said:

@pokeysteve said:

I'm not sure any would be your typical "blockbuster". Wonder Woman would do really well simply because of hype and that she's never had a movie before.

Half the world recognizes Scar as Widow and she's great at playing that character. I think so anyways. If all of these characters got the best movie they could have than WW would do the best.

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Black widow because of Scarlett Johansson

iDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wonder Woman if Gal Gadot is a hit, if not probably Black Widow or Ms. Marvel.

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 14

#19 frozen  Moderator

@reactor said:

@pokeysteve said:

I'm not sure any would be your typical "blockbuster". Wonder Woman would do really well simply because of hype and that she's never had a movie before.

Half the world recognizes Scar as Widow and she's great at playing that character. I think so anyways. If all of these characters got the best movie they could have than WW would do the best.

Really?

Pokeysteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frozen: Of course not. It's called exaggerating for effect. Come on now. Although with how many countries Iron Man 2, Avengers and Cap 2 opened in I bet it's not far off.

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#21 frozen  Moderator

@pokeysteve: Can't really think of what a Black Widow movie would actually be about, or how Disney would market it.

Jokerpoker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

A Black Widow solo movie would be really cool, it could be an origin story. Or Wonder Woman.

Pokeysteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frozen said:

Can't really think of what a Black Widow movie would actually be about

Same could be said for any one of them really.

Cloakx14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

comicace3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

WW or Black Widow.

Godzilla_BK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm not a DC fan, and especially not a Wonder Woman fan, but I have to admit it'd probably sell the most.
It probably wouldn't be successful, but I'd like to see an Elekra reboot

WenjunChew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If Wonder Woman would sell the most, she would have gotten a movie over that of Elektra and Catwoman. The fact it didn't happen means the studio executives know better than us.

Godzilla_BK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for oosupermanthathoeoo
oOSupermanThatHoeOo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wonder Woman

PERHAPS Blackwidow with a recast. Johannson is terribly inadequate, if you think she has chops erm...

WenjunChew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By WenjunChew

@godzilla_bk: There are likely to be many reasons why Wonder Woman did not appear on the big screen, and the studio executives themselves knew it.

Firstly, a superhero movie's objective is to bring in money first and foremost, not to pander to fans' liking. How many feminist movies are profitable may I ask?

Secondly, Wonder Woman's costumes would have some issues with parents bringing their children to cinema. Too adult for some conservative people. She's supposed to be a heroine, not a "bad woman" (Catwoman/Elektra).

Thirdly, a Wonder Woman true to the comics root would be making references to Greek deities, something that would not sit well with conservative audiences due to idolatry. Remember, she's supposed to be one of the good guys. And good guys cannot be Atheists or characters who worship "false gods".

Last but not least, related to the first point: Female Superheroes don't sit well with the audience. Period.

Other reasons as well, but these are the ones that first came to mind.

MatthewParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By MatthewParker

@wenjunchew: thors a Norse "god" and I had no problem with it. It's just a movie. But as sad as it is I agree it would be a lot harder to garner interest in a female led superhero movie.

WenjunChew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By WenjunChew

@matthewparker said:

thors a Norse "god" and I had no problem with it. It's just a movie. But as sad as it is I agree it would be a lot harder to garner interest in a female led superhero movie.

The difference is, the likes of Thor, Loki and Odin are treated in the movies as "sufficiently advanced aliens", not magical deities or something along those lines.

Moreover, there's no mention of worship in Thor movies and The Avengers crossover movie IIRC.

Imagine how many would rage when a supposed role model says: "Hera help us" or "Great Zeus"

MatthewParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wenjunchew: why couldn't dc just do the same? Treat the amazonians as just a race of superhumans? Also I'm a Christian, and I watched Percy Jackson, which is full of remarks of "Hera help us" and such. Again It's just a movie. I think It would bother some people, but kids young enough to think that Greek mythology is real , just because they watched a movie about it, shouldn't be watching the movie in the first place. IMHO anyway.

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If they want it to be successful with Women, then they should call her Ms. Marvel

V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By V_Scarlotte_Rose

If they want it to be successful with Women, then they should call her Ms. Marvel

Why's that?

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@v_scarlotte_rose: Because that name identifies fer as both feminine and feminist. Plus if you going to be the main female hero of a franchise, you should have a name to reflect that. Although personally I think Scarlet Witch may be a better choice.

DarthAznable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The one that has the most T&A. Depends on the actress skill. Scar Jo is hot but she's isn't a really good actress imho.

V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@captainmarvel4ever: I don't know if every woman would agree with those reasons. For me, the name Ms. Marvel is a little bothersome, as it adds gender where it doesn't need to be. Like, if Mar-Vell had gone by "Mr. Marvel" it wouldn't be so bad.

I think a female superhero out fighting evil could easily be seen as feminist without having a female related name. Plus "Captain" has a bit more authority than "Ms."

Could Scarlet Witch carry solo films in your opinion?

Vizier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

@pokeysteve: Agreed. The general public should know her well due to her making multiple appearances in major Marvel movies such as Avengers, Iron Man 2 and Winter Soldier. People would have come to realise her as an important character in the Marvel movie franchise.

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@v_scarlotte_rose: If Marvel wasn't trying to push her as their "Big Female Hero" then I might agree. Also, Ms. is not a rank, and when your a superhero, your name has nothing to do with rank. For example Captain Marvel, he's not a captain (heck he's not even an adult), he's a champion, captain is just part of his name. Plus it seems insulting to Carol, not only did she have a fun and cool name before, but this new name makes her seem like she has always been less important. It's not like she had a demeaning title, her name was cool and independent, It was feminist and feminine. Also, that was her name for years, that's the name that was proudly displayed above her head in her comics, and if she's finally headed to the big screen, then it's the name she deserves to have when she's finally up there.

I do think Scarlet Witch could hold a movie, and I think she's a better choice for the main female hero. Wanda is an interesting and complex character with a compelling back story and rich history. She's also incredibly powerful, and has been at the center of important Marvel events in both the Avengers and the X-Men. She's defiantly been more important and more influential then Carol over the years, I think she's earned that spot more then Carol. Plus she would really appeal to female viewers. She wears a beautiful costume which women love, she practices "Magic" which is an ability fangirls love, and like Wonder Woman and Ms. Marvel she has a feminine name. I can already tell she's going to be a huge hit in Avengers 2.

Godzilla_BK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wenjunchew: In case you haven't noticed, nobody really cares what conservatives think when it comes to making movies. I also believe you have this idea that most conservatives are nun-like puristic Jesus-freaks, and although I love to poke fun at them for this stereotype, realistically that's not true. I'm as far left as it gets, the Democratic Party isn't liberal enough for me, but this idea that conservatives refuse to enjoy anything that doesn't compliment Christian ideology is a bit ridiculous.

I'd argue that Elekra's costume is not too far behind, and I'd DEFINITELY argue that Catwoman's costume is wayyyy more sexualized, as is her behavior throughout the movie. She comes off as some weird bondage freak to me and acted pretty lusty throughout the movie. That was a really bad movie lol.

In case you have forgotten, Thor and Loki are mentioned as gods/demigods throughout the several movies they star in, and I know Thor has said things such as "By Odin's beard" and so on.

I don't know where you live, but from where I am everyone would welcome a female superhero or would be indifferent about, and Pittsburgh isn't even close to the most socially liberal city.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f
deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

Wonder Woman

Miss Marvel

Black Widow

Avatar image for comicsrulebutdbzdoes2
ComicsrulebutDBZdoes2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

None of the above most successful by miles would be jean grey (pheonix)

WenjunChew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In case you haven't noticed, nobody really cares what conservatives think when it comes to making movies. I also believe you have this idea that most conservatives are nun-like puristic Jesus-freaks, and although I love to poke fun at them for this stereotype, realistically that's not true. I'm as far left as it gets, the Democratic Party isn't liberal enough for me, but this idea that conservatives refuse to enjoy anything that doesn't compliment Christian ideology is a bit ridiculous.

I'd argue that Elekra's costume is not too far behind, and I'd DEFINITELY argue that Catwoman's costume is wayyyy more sexualized, as is her behavior throughout the movie. She comes off as some weird bondage freak to me and acted pretty lusty throughout the movie. That was a really bad movie lol.

In case you have forgotten, Thor and Loki are mentioned as gods/demigods throughout the several movies they star in, and I know Thor has said things such as "By Odin's beard" and so on.

I don't know where you live, but from where I am everyone would welcome a female superhero or would be indifferent about, and Pittsburgh isn't even close to the most socially liberal city.

Catwoman and Elektra are anti-hero characters of sorts. From what I noticed so far, movies featuring anti-heroes aren't very popular as well. Think Punisher, and lol Jonah Hex. Although yeah, the lack of fans has something to do with the film's popularity as well.

So I don't think we can compare Catwoman/Elektra with Wonder Woman.

As for Thor and Loki, the difference between them and Wonder Woman's character cast is that from the viewpoint of the audience and the enlightened characters Thor is treated as an alien while Wonder Woman's cast supposedly spiritual/religious in nature. But yeah, I see where you are coming from about the conservative-ness factor in the superhero movie. Although the way I see it, a Hercules movie is more welcome than a Wonder Woman movie because (ignoring the fact that Hercules is male) Hercules isn't really in the superhero genre but in the mythology genre instead.

Avatar image for deactivated-097092725
deactivated-097092725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Widow and Scarlett are the same person to me now. (No, not really, haha. I still pick number three, regardless).

Avatar image for annoyedimmortalspirit
AnnoyedImmortalSpirit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

lol all the actress are terrible choices... I say n.5