#1 Posted by JulieDC (870 posts) - - Show Bio

Do you like it when comics use real cities such as New York City or do you like the use of fake cities such as Gotham?

#2 Posted by Bruxae (12605 posts) - - Show Bio

I prefer fake cities by far.

#3 Edited by Extremis (3334 posts) - - Show Bio

Fake cities. To me the fantasy is better than the real thing, as Im honestly not a fan of cities in real life. I like bein in rural areas.

#4 Posted by Eternal19 (2076 posts) - - Show Bio

Fake cities allow for more creativity like how Gotham is this really Gothic creepy city and how Metropolis is this Bright shining Utopia. It allows the characters city to reflect of the character. I hate how in Marvel they have to be so politically correct. Like how they have Barack Obama as the president.

#5 Posted by JulieDC (870 posts) - - Show Bio

@eternal19: Agreed. I love how the cities are very much part of the identity of the hero to the point that if Gotham were more like Metropolis, Batman would out of necessity become a very different type of hero. It is also fun to see Batman and Superman work in one another's city because that is when you really get a feel for how the two characters are different in how they do things.

#6 Posted by Wolverine08 (38660 posts) - - Show Bio

I prefer real cities. For example, I like how Marvel shows their heroes journey's through our own real life cities. The realism is really cool and helps you connect to the story.

#7 Posted by Kangaxx_54 (303 posts) - - Show Bio

I prefer well-developed fake cities. Gotham, Metropolis etc. are so old and so well-defined that for me, who's never set foot in USA, they feel every bit as real as the actual real cities. Also, the fake cities give so many more options everywhere. You can change the cities to fit the heroes; with real cities that'd be impossible.

#8 Posted by Cezar_TheScribe (2614 posts) - - Show Bio

I can go for a mix.

@extremis said:

Fake cities. To me the fantasy is better than the real thing, as Im honestly not a fan of cities in real life. I like bein in rural areas.

Rural areas ;)

#9 Posted by XImpossibruX (5170 posts) - - Show Bio

@cezar_thescribe said:

I can go for a mix.

@juliedc said:

Do you like it when comics use real cities such as New York City or do you like the use of fake cities such as Gotham?

Gotham is a prime example of how creative and interesting artists can make cities, and don't need realistic limitations.

#10 Edited by JulieDC (870 posts) - - Show Bio

@kangaxx_54: I do sometimes feel like Gotham can be somewhat of a surrogate city. I have never been to NYC but with Gotham, I do feel like there are certain components about it that I can relate to with my city. Don't know about Metropolis, would love to know if there are cities that actually have that futuristic feel that it has (I don't feel like even NYC has that futuristic feel).

#11 Edited by amutant (267 posts) - - Show Bio

@bruxae said:

#12 Edited by Jnr6Lil (7686 posts) - - Show Bio

Metropolis is NYC

Gotham is Detroit.

#13 Posted by RustyRoy (10940 posts) - - Show Bio

@bruxae said:

This. Gotham is more interesting than many fictional characters and is the most interesting than most of the real cities used in fiction.