#1 Edited by knighthood (1693 posts) - - Show Bio

I've recently read this journal from Neil Gaiman...

It was in 1988, at the World Fantasy Convention in London, in the bar. I was with a bunch of people around a table, and had been interviewing Clive Barker about comics for a book on Clive that would be coming out. After the interview a conversational free-for-all developed -- I remember getting frustrated with Clive's view that comics were lacking something that prose had, because a novel could make him cry while a comic never had. (This was 26 years ago, remember. I have no idea at all if Clive still thinks that way, or if a comic has made him cry in the years between. I hope it has.)

The entire entry can be found here http://journal.neilgaiman.com/2013/02/the-best-advice.html

So now I'm curious which comics have made people cry. I remember many powerful stories in comics, but none that has triggered such an emotional response. I would like to read a few of these stories.

One story that had a powerful impact on me was Vertigo's House of Secrets #12. This issue gave the origin of the Juris member Ruby. Check out her profile on comicvine if you want the jest of the story. I didn't "cry" but after all these years this story really stands out to me.

kh••d

#2 Edited by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6010 posts) - - Show Bio

Batwoman #0. Not a huge amount, but serious welling up.

Edited. The second #0: "Interlude" that is. The first #0: "Beyond A Shadow" isn't particularly emotional.

#3 Posted by knighthood (1693 posts) - - Show Bio

@V_Scarlotte_Rose: I've read both. In the second one I was kinda bothered by Kate's father, but I'm assuming you were moved by the sister related storyline. It was a very good book.

#4 Posted by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6010 posts) - - Show Bio

@knighthood:It was when Kate said that Beth used to help her pick out what to wear that got me. It was just so sad.

What bothered you about Jacob?

#5 Posted by Markus_Langbourn (387 posts) - - Show Bio

Sentry vs the Void

Batman #681 (cried from awesomeness)
Astonishing X-Men #23 (cried from awesomeness)

#6 Posted by etragedy (1042 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd give Clive a copy of Animal Man #15 to read.

#7 Posted by spiderpool94 (467 posts) - - Show Bio

The pet avengers. It was awful

#8 Posted by Icarusflies (12392 posts) - - Show Bio

I cry at comics ALL THE TIME.

The final volume of Hitman. Identity Crisis. Volumes 9 + 10 of Sandman. A ton of other books.

#9 Posted by logy5000 (5631 posts) - - Show Bio

Darkseid vs. Galactus: The Hunger.

That crossover friggin' blows.

#10 Posted by The_Tree (7037 posts) - - Show Bio

Shazam!: The Power of Hope. Such a touching and beautiful story.

#11 Posted by serpent222 (319 posts) - - Show Bio

None, but I came pretty close with an issue of Teen Titans volume 3. I forget the number but it was the issue after Drake's father was killed.

#12 Posted by FalconPuuunch (942 posts) - - Show Bio

I came close after reading We3.

#13 Posted by Billy Batson (57704 posts) - - Show Bio

Don't think entertainment has made me cry but 100 Bullets #55 and The Goon: Chinatown made me pretty sad.
BB

#14 Posted by Loki9876 (2992 posts) - - Show Bio

JIM 645 made me sad

#15 Posted by The Stegman (22705 posts) - - Show Bio
#16 Posted by nightwing91 (3912 posts) - - Show Bio

Identity Crisis when Tim Drakes Father was killed with Batman comforting him. A very powerful image, and the whole point was further driven home in Teen Titans when he's trying to keep his father's death a secret and nearly beats the Electricutioner to death in the process.

And then there's the obvious death of Kal-L during Infinite Crisis, with Powergirl by his side.

#17 Posted by Reignmaker (2226 posts) - - Show Bio

When I was a kid, I think I got teary eyed as I was reading an in-depth origin of Superman. It was showing his parents sending their child off and they were crying and holding each other as the planet caved in around them.

It was in some fat, collected edition I got from the library. I think the actual comic might of been from the 70's. Anyway, if I can find screen grabs of it I'll post them. That's the only time though. Books don't really make me cry.

#18 Posted by Imagine_Man15 (1801 posts) - - Show Bio

I cried when Rorschach died in Watchmen... not a lot, but a couple tears. Peter Parker's death in the Ultimate universe had me welling up a bit. Oh, and the ending of The Underwater Welder had me close.

#19 Posted by knighthood (1693 posts) - - Show Bio

@V_Scarlotte_Rose said:

@knighthood:It was when Kate said that Beth used to help her pick out what to wear that got me. It was just so sad.

Toying around with "crossing that line" I was about to be peeved if actually went through with it.

#20 Posted by RedHush1 (91 posts) - - Show Bio

This one is very hard for me. I know I find some stories very tragic well some more then others. I'm trying to think of comics that are. It's very hard for me to think of. I know the part in Justice League #12 The Steve and Wonder Woman dialogue. But it was more of a poor Steve go get revenge kind of swelling up but I never did cry. But then there was The Under The Hood storyline with the Return of Jason. Funny story was the week before the first issue of that storyline came out I had just read Death in the Family. Well that was quite an emotional story for me and was probably one of the few stories that got even me tearing up and tears leaving my eyes. So probably Death and the Family and Under The Hood together got me to cry

#21 Posted by YourNeighborhoodComicGeek (19873 posts) - - Show Bio

Rorschach's death in the graphic novel and movies were very emotional, as well as the ending to Under the Red Hood (movie), but I don't think I've cried to anything in the past couple of years to be honest.

#22 Posted by minigunman123 (3116 posts) - - Show Bio

#23 Posted by danhimself (22207 posts) - - Show Bio

Spider-men #3 and 4

#24 Posted by SavageDragon (2248 posts) - - Show Bio

WE3, Pride of Baghdad.

#25 Posted by slade_wilson (442 posts) - - Show Bio

@minigunman123: nailed it!

#26 Posted by minigunman123 (3116 posts) - - Show Bio

@slade_wilson said:

I'm so sorry Slade, that Rob Liefeld tried to nearly ruin your comic series! :(

Just know, that I bought every issue as they came out, to try and keep your series going~

#27 Posted by Rabbitearsblog (5768 posts) - - Show Bio

These moments didn't exactly make me cry, but they were pretty emotional when I read them:

#28 Posted by Cavemold (1668 posts) - - Show Bio
#29 Posted by Cavemold (1668 posts) - - Show Bio

@minigunman123 said:

@slade_wilson said:

I'm so sorry Slade, that Rob Liefeld tried to nearly ruin your comic series! :(

Just know, that I bought every issue as they came out, to try and keep your series going~

justin series is good

#30 Posted by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6010 posts) - - Show Bio

@knighthood said:

@V_Scarlotte_Rose said:

Toying around with "crossing that line" I was about to be peeved if actually went through with it.

It was a bit of a bold move on his part, but it payed off as it showed that she could keep her personal feelings out of it when faced with a situation similar to what had happened to her own family.