• 66 results
#1 Edited by Strider92 (16265 posts) - - Show Bio

With all the out-cry about MoS recently about how he didn't really act like Superman I thought i'd picth this question.

What comic based movie has best depicted its characters in comparison to source material?

I'm not asking which comic film was best but which one represented its characters in a way that you could put them in a comic book and have almost no difference to the comic counter-part in how the character acts and thinks. The movie can be absolutely crap story-wise in your opinion but still have good chracter representation.

#2 Posted by TheAcidSkull (18010 posts) - - Show Bio

Avengers Hulk was near perfect for me, at least savage hulk wise. mark ruffalo and Norton were awesome banners

despite the sequels not living up to the original first iron man movie, Tony stark will always be Robert downey Jr( notice how i said it backwards)

Nolans batman and Joker were just AMAZINH

the Spider-man 2 peter parker, people give toby hell, but we have to remember the scrip wasn't up to him, and with a decent script he played and awesome spider-man/parker. Garfield took a different angle but it was still awesome

chris as Captain america was near perfection

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand i'll have to see man Of steel to judge for myself

#3 Edited by Fuchsia_Nightingale (10180 posts) - - Show Bio

#4 Posted by Veshark (9058 posts) - - Show Bio

Christopher Reeve Superman was pretty close to the character. MoS is a good interpretation, but it's more of a younger, introspective Superman as opposed to the friendly, mature version of the pre-52 comics. Might be closer to the New 52 actually.

I'd say Spidey too, even if a little levity couldn't hurt. Nolan's Batman is great, but wasn't much of the master-of-a-1000 disciplines of the comics. Chris Evans plays a very good Cap though, he really nails the character's inherent morality and integrity.

Before anyone mentions it, RDJ's Iron Man is not an entirely accurate depiction of 616 Iron Man.

#5 Posted by Immortal777 (7350 posts) - - Show Bio

Hal Jordan=Douche bag

Ryan Reynolds=Douche bag

#6 Edited by Nerx (15088 posts) - - Show Bio

#7 Posted by TheAcidSkull (18010 posts) - - Show Bio

i could kiss you for this XD!

GET TO THE CH....err...i mean.....WHAT KILLED THE DINOSAURS! THE ICE AGE!

#8 Posted by Fuchsia_Nightingale (10180 posts) - - Show Bio

@theacidskull: Waring, first couple seconds is focused on batbuns

#9 Edited by TheAcidSkull (18010 posts) - - Show Bio
#10 Edited by Fuchsia_Nightingale (10180 posts) - - Show Bio
#11 Posted by TheAcidSkull (18010 posts) - - Show Bio
#12 Posted by Fuchsia_Nightingale (10180 posts) - - Show Bio
#13 Posted by TheAcidSkull (18010 posts) - - Show Bio
#14 Edited by Bane_of_sith (2796 posts) - - Show Bio

Watchmen and avengers did it best ,,bale was a good batman but the story was rubbish,,I'm not even going into how bad that trilogy ended..reeve was a great superman,,cavill I enjoyed as well

#15 Posted by EnigmaLantern (749 posts) - - Show Bio

I haven't seen MoS yet, but that will soon change tomorrow, so I can't comment on MoS but for me the best comic based movie depiction of its character was Iron Man Tony Stark/Robert Downey Jr, he was perfect for that part in my opinion, absolutely love him as Tony Stark.

#16 Edited by Perezite (1432 posts) - - Show Bio

Superman 1 and 2, of course. Even 3 and 4 had their moments of this.

#17 Posted by Perezite (1432 posts) - - Show Bio

I haven't seen MoS yet, but that will soon change tomorrow, so I can't comment on MoS but for me the best comic based movie depiction of its character was Iron Man Tony Stark/Robert Downey Jr, he was perfect for that part in my opinion, absolutely love him as Tony Stark.

But I heard that he wasn't true to how Tony was in the comics.

#18 Posted by gunmetalgrey (1267 posts) - - Show Bio

#19 Posted by EnigmaLantern (749 posts) - - Show Bio

@perezite said:

@enigmalantern said:

I always thought he was, most people I've spoken to agree but it all comes down to opinion and taste. I've also met people who don't like Robert Downey Jr as Tony Stark so..

#20 Edited by Perezite (1432 posts) - - Show Bio

@perezite said:

@enigmalantern said:

I always thought he was, most people I've spoken to agree but it all comes down to opinion and taste. I've also met people who don't like Robert Downey Jr as Tony Stark so..

So...you admit he wasn't really.

#21 Posted by i_like_swords (13974 posts) - - Show Bio

Chris Hemsworth does a great Thor. Mark Ruffalo for Hulk. RDJ for Tony is spot on perfect. My problem with movie Cap is in the Avengers, to me, he didn't really take on the role of leader as much as he should have (apart from the end) and also I'm still getting the feel of a young guy in his twenties who's really contained and humble. The Cap I've read in comics is older, more mature and more dominant than in the movies, but maybe with experience Chris Evens will get better. Scarlet Johansson and Jeremy Renner weren't fantastic in their roles, but given a different script could improve. I've liked both Spider-men so far. As for Punisher films, I'll say both actors fit the role well. The guy in the 2004 film hit the nail on the head when playing an inexperienced, damaged Punisher, whereas the War Zone actor did a brilliant job of an experienced, hardcore, intense Punisher. Ben Affleck did a decent job as Daredevil but that film needs a reboot and a actor for Matt Murdoch now! Elektra was good. Whats-his-face who played Blade was spot on. Most of the X-men actors are good, especially Hugh Jackman, and the guys who play X and Magneto. Well that turned into a big paragraph quickly.

#22 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio

The Dark Knight Trilogy

#23 Edited by Veshark (9058 posts) - - Show Bio

@enigmalantern

RDJ plays a great Tony and has elevated the character to stardom, but it's not an entirely accurate depiction of the 616 character. 616 Tony is a smooth-talker, but he never had the sarcastic snark of the MCU version. He was to a certain extent a witty individual, but he was more toned down overall. It's a subtle difference, but I feel the MCU Tony takes a lot of cues from the Ultimate version and merged them with 616 Tony.

#24 Posted by Cap10nate (2234 posts) - - Show Bio

Even though the movies were not that good, Chris Evans as Johnny Storm was excellent.

#25 Posted by EnigmaLantern (749 posts) - - Show Bio

@veshark: True, but the writers always had to make the character slightly more comic in order to appeal to audiences who don't read comics. Even then I still feel he is quite an accurate depiction of Tony Stark.

@perezite said:

@enigmalantern said:

@perezite said:

@enigmalantern said:

So...you admit he wasn't really.

No, what I've said is that I've always felt that RDJ played a fairly accurate part as Tony Stark and I really liked him but other people that I know may not agree. My final point is it comes down to a person's opinion, that's all.

#26 Posted by Strider92 (16265 posts) - - Show Bio

The Dark Knight Trilogy

Really? To be honest I found Nolans Batman and villains to be almost nothing like their comic counter-parts.

#27 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio

@strider92 said:

@fadetoblackbolt said:

The Dark Knight Trilogy

Really? To be honest I found Nolans Batman and villains to be almost nothing like their comic counter-parts.

It's about adapting a character but keeping what makes them that particular character intact, and that's what Nolan did. He didn't dully Xerox a comic book and regurgitate something we've seen a hundred times. He gave us a new and film-style version of characters that we loved and kept them true to their roots. Just because the Joker had grungey hair and didn't use bladed playing cards doesn't mean that he wasn't still the Joker. He was an expression of absurd nihilism and chaos, just as he is in the comics.

#28 Posted by TDK_1997 (14686 posts) - - Show Bio

The Dark Knight Trilogy pretty much.Watchmen did great with Comedian and Rorschach.Also Toby Maguire in the second Spider-Man movie and I can't forget Tony Stark.Robert Downey Jr. is just the perfect match for Iron Man.

#29 Posted by RustyRoy (11996 posts) - - Show Bio

Avengers Hulk was near perfect for me, at least savage hulk wise. mark ruffalo and Norton were awesome banners

despite the sequels not living up to the original first iron man movie, Tony stark will always be Robert downey Jr( notice how i said it backwards)

Nolans batman and Joker were just AMAZINH

the Spider-man 2 peter parker, people give toby hell, but we have to remember the scrip wasn't up to him, and with a decent script he played and awesome spider-man/parker. Garfield took a different angle but it was still awesome

chris as Captain america was near perfection

This

#30 Edited by Alak (926 posts) - - Show Bio

My personal favorite is Chris Evans as Captain America. Everything he did seemed to match the original 616 counterpart. I especially loved his first meeting with Bruce Banner in the Avengers movie since it dives straight to the point of what Captain America stands for.

#31 Posted by Rabbitearsblog (5835 posts) - - Show Bio

I really loved Mark Ruffalo's portrayal of the Hulk and I actually did like Chris Evans' portrayal of Johnny Storm. I also liked Christopher Reeves' portrayal of Superman.

#32 Posted by Deranged Midget (17599 posts) - - Show Bio

Chris Evans as Cap was great, Andrew Garfield blew it away as Peter Parker and Henry Cavill did a fantastic job as a Superman for a new generation!

My personal three favourite performances and comic book films to date.

#33 Posted by Eternal19 (2076 posts) - - Show Bio

@strider92 said:

@fadetoblackbolt said:

The Dark Knight Trilogy

It's about adapting a character but keeping what makes them that particular character intact, and that's what Nolan did. He didn't dully Xerox a comic book and regurgitate something we've seen a hundred times. He gave us a new and film-style version of characters that we loved and kept them true to their roots. Just because the Joker had grungey hair and didn't use bladed playing cards doesn't mean that he wasn't still the Joker. He was an expression of absurd nihilism and chaos, just as he is in the comics.

this

#34 Posted by Perezite (1432 posts) - - Show Bio

Chris Evans as Cap was great, Andrew Garfield blew it away as Peter Parker and Henry Cavill did a fantastic job as a Superman for a new generation!

My personal three favourite performances and comic book films to date.

Nah man. Garfield was a better Spider-Man than Peter Parker.

#35 Posted by Uncanny_Doom (413 posts) - - Show Bio

Superman, The Avengers, Captain America, and Thor.

Chris Hemsworth does a great Thor. Mark Ruffalo for Hulk. RDJ for Tony is spot on perfect. My problem with movie Cap is in the Avengers, to me, he didn't really take on the role of leader as much as he should have (apart from the end) and also I'm still getting the feel of a young guy in his twenties who's really contained and humble. The Cap I've read in comics is older, more mature and more dominant than in the movies, but maybe with experience Chris Evens will get better. Scarlet Johansson and Jeremy Renner weren't fantastic in their roles, but given a different script could improve. I've liked both Spider-men so far. As for Punisher films, I'll say both actors fit the role well. The guy in the 2004 film hit the nail on the head when playing an inexperienced, damaged Punisher, whereas the War Zone actor did a brilliant job of an experienced, hardcore, intense Punisher. Ben Affleck did a decent job as Daredevil but that film needs a reboot and a actor for Matt Murdoch now! Elektra was good. Whats-his-face who played Blade was spot on. Most of the X-men actors are good, especially Hugh Jackman, and the guys who play X and Magneto. Well that turned into a big paragraph quickly.

I feel like it worked since the movie was about the tension and trouble of putting the team together. Cap would have come off as kind of a dick if he just tried to control and command the Avengers from the moment they got together. The little nuances of him getting Iron Man and Thor to stop fighting or pretty much any of his interaction with Iron Man (including letting Tony take the reigns during the helicarrier disaster) gave off a responsible, leadership quality in my opinion. By the end when he's giving out jobs to everyone and they're following without second thought, it was perfect.

#36 Edited by cloudzackvincent (1028 posts) - - Show Bio

#37 Posted by CrouchingTiger (148 posts) - - Show Bio

Dolph lundgren as punisher...no? Hasselhoff as nick fury

#38 Posted by Deranged Midget (17599 posts) - - Show Bio

@perezite said:

Eh, to each their own mate. I thought he had a fantastic interpretation of a modernized Peter Parker.

#39 Posted by The Stegman (23931 posts) - - Show Bio

@perezite said:

Eh, to each their own mate. I thought he had a fantastic interpretation of a modernized Peter Parker.

Garfield was a better Peter AND Spidey than anything Tobey could muster

#40 Edited by Deranged Midget (17599 posts) - - Show Bio

@the_stegman: Tobey did a good job in the second film, I'll give him that but Garfield just had a lot more charisma.

Wicked AV by the way!

#41 Posted by The Stegman (23931 posts) - - Show Bio

@the_stegman: Tobey did a good job in the second film, I'll give him that but Garfield just had a lot more charisma.

Wicked AV by the way!

Thank you. But eh, I never liked Tobey, he was just so...boring. Garfield's "Tiny Knives" quip was funnier than anything Tobey ever did.

#42 Posted by Deranged Midget (17599 posts) - - Show Bio
#43 Posted by XImpossibruX (5171 posts) - - Show Bio
#44 Edited by saiyan_earthling (5441 posts) - - Show Bio

Andrew Garfield did Spider-Man justice.

#45 Posted by Perezite (1432 posts) - - Show Bio

@deranged_midget said:

@perezite said:

Garfield was a better Peter AND Spidey than anything Tobey could muster

Pfff...Garfield was about as vulnerable as a cactus as Peter before he got the Spiderbite.

#46 Posted by The_Tree (7283 posts) - - Show Bio

Scott Pilgrim vs. the World, Sin City, Watchmen.

#47 Posted by Joygirl (19401 posts) - - Show Bio

Exluding indie comic films like Scott Pilgrim and Sin City, which are usually much more loyal: Man of Steel's Superman, Avengers' Hulk, TDK's Two-Face (NOT Nolan's Batman and Joker, both were good but not accurate, same goes for Ra's and Bane to a lesser degree).

#48 Posted by Joygirl (19401 posts) - - Show Bio

Exluding indie comic films like Scott Pilgrim and Sin City, which are usually much more loyal: Man of Steel's Superman, Avengers' Hulk, TDK's Two-Face (NOT Nolan's Batman and Joker, both were good but not accurate, same goes for Ra's and Bane to a lesser degree).

#49 Posted by Mega_spidey01 (3078 posts) - - Show Bio

andrew garfield as spider-man

henry cavill as superman

michael shannon as general zod

ruffalo as hulk

amy adams as lois lane

robert downry jr.- as iron man

hugh jackman as wolverine

#50 Posted by Bane_of_sith (2796 posts) - - Show Bio

Watchmen, and avengers