Which Characters Should Have Their Own Series?

NimaMindTricks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By NimaMindTricks

So this post was inspired by @k4tzm4n's recent article, Why Kraven the Hunter Deserves a Comic.

I want to hear which Marvel/DC characters (top 3) you think either deserve an on-going comic of their own -either for the first time ever or ones you think should be given a second chance:

Marvel

1. Kingpin - I think a gritty crime ridden series starring Wilson Fisk himself would be awesome. One story arc could delete with his personal life and balancing out the drama that comes with running a criminal empire, while another deals with more stranger foes like mutants, superheros, metahumans, spider-men, etc. In the right hands, I think we could end up relating to Kingpin and feeling bad for him in many ways once his past or personal demons are fleshed out.
  2. Kraven the Hunter- see Gregg's article linked above.
  3. Ronan the Accuser- I believe he's moved on from being the leading accuser of the Kree Empire since Infinity, so it would be a blast to see him in a story as an intergalactic free agent accuser-for-hire of sorts. Basically a more noble and well-spoken version of pre 52 Lobo.

Edit: Tied for #3 is Dr. Doom because well...Dr. Doom.

DC

1. The Rogues - Captain Cold, Mirror Master, Weather Wizard, Trickster, and Pied Piper. I think a lot of great stories can be made with these guys. Looking at how popular titles with quirky "villain" filled teams such as Gail Simone's Secret Six or Nick Spencer's The Superior Foes of Spider-Man, I don't see how it can't work. Anytime they get their own mini-series tie in to events (Rogues Rebellion and Rogues Revenge), they always seem to be the best reads.
  2. Bane - He has to be written as an intelligent, tactical character for this to work. Lately he's been coming off as a brute and less skilled. Maybe with his own title, they can finally solidify who he is in the New 52. I think if he was written like he was in the Pre 52 (Knightfall and Secret Six especially), which was consistently strategic in nature, we could get a really awesome book.
  3. Etrigan the Demon - There's no reason why this character should not be as popular and well-written as Swamp Thing. It would be great to see a writer really dig into the horrors and issues that come with Jason Blood sharing a body with a demon in the 21st Century. Demon Knights had it's ups and downs before it was canceled, but it was good overall. I just kind of hated the fact that we never got to see Etrigan/Jason's relationship develop more beyond being spiteful towards one another. Etrigan came off as a jerk through out the series.

What about you guys? Who would you like to see get their own series?

hatemalingsia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Alfred.

NimaMindTricks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By NimaMindTricks

@hatemalingsia: why? isn't the market saturated with bat family books?

Avatar image for transformers1024
Transformers1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

DC

- The Rogues

- Red Robin

- Blue Lanterns

MARVEL

- Carnage

- Quicksilver

- Green Goblin

hatemalingsia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nimamindtricks:

If it's not comedic, I don't mind it. Nothing like his younger days or over the top action series, anything like that. Just play up the whole Bruce's butler and his daily life in his story. Glimpses of him being Bruce's bodyguard and Batman's partner, revealing how he sees Batman's enemies or Bruce's double life, if there's any regret or other feeling about what has he done for all these years. Maybe it reminds him of his younger days or shows us that he's enjoying it deep down. After all, Alfred is the servant of Bat Man.

Quickfingers26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Marvel

1. Doom
  2. Clea
  3. Black Panther

DC

1. Captain Marvel (if he doesn't have one already)

Otherwise I have no suggestions for DC.

Avatar image for shadowswordmaster
ShadowSwordmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 13

#7  Edited By ShadowSwordmaster

Doctor Strange is a big one for me on Marvel.

On the DC side...a comic with Wildstorm characters.

Xrated48

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Marvel:

1. should have kept axis carnage

2. Doctor doom

3. Black panther

Dc

1.the rogues

2. Shazam

3. Red robin

NimaMindTricks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Marvel

1. Doom
  2. Clea
  3. Black Panther

DC

1. Captain Marvel (if he doesn't have one already)

Otherwise I have no suggestions for DC.

@xrated48 said:

Marvel:

1. should have kept axis carnage

2. Doctor doom

3. Black panther

Dc

1.the rogues

2. Shazam

3. Red robin

Damn how could I forgot about DOOM. His "Books of Doom" mini series was incredible.

Quickfingers26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nimamindtricks: I have not read that yet! Thanks for the reminder, I need to pick that up. =)

NimaMindTricks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

AwesomePerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dr Strange

Doom

Black Panther

Xrated48

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Dr Strange

Doom

Black Panther

And I forgot about strange him too

regiebravo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Red Hood and Cyborg.

Star_Knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nick Fury, the black one.

TheDandyMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

Alfred.

I would actually follow this series and I think a fair few others would too, no joke. He seems to be more popular than the likes of Red Hood or Batgirl sometimes and if anyone dares say that they don't like Alfred then they'd probably be taken outside the city walls and stoned, I've never heard anyone say they don't like him.

Avatar image for digitalshooter9
DigitalShooter9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Iceman

IrishX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#19  Edited By IrishX

Marvel:

• Gambit - He is better as a solo character in his own series rather than backround on a random X-team. His last series felt like it barely started when it ended as well. There are so many stories that could be explored around him and I would love to see more in a great place like New Orleans.
  • Warpath - Even if it's just a mini-series I would really like to see it done and have been waiting a while for it.

DC:

• The Rogues - I am really only a Flash reader for DC and a big part of that is The Rogues. Would love for them to have their own ongoing series.

I also think the Kingpin idea is interesting and would definitely consider getting it depending on who the creative team was.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fbfd5d291164
deactivated-5fbfd5d291164

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 74

User Lists: 7

ALL OF THEM.

Because at least a few of them would have to be good.

Crimz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Invisible Woman

Black Panther

Dr Strange

Thor-Parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#22  Edited By Thor-Parker

1- Doctor Doom

2- Thanos

3- Quicksilver

VoloErgoMalus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By VoloErgoMalus

I've come to believe that focusing on individual characters is a waste. More anthologies, less squeezing the life out of tired characters in lukewarm storylines.

You might say I'm being unreasonable, but is it easier to create within the constraints of canon and status quo, or without?

Avatar image for thatguywithheadphones
thatguywithheadphones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wouldn't mind a Bane series.

senglord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DC

Starfire-

because her power set is boss when worked properly. As it is she is all eye candy.

Cyborg-

Because it has been long enough.

Shay Veritas-

I am not a fan of Scott Lobdell, but I know a strong premise for a wild super science comic book when I see one.

Marvel

Black bolt-

shine a light on a much ignored part of Marvel.

Rachel Summers-

Anything that ties into her past as a hound for the sentinels. And her future as a 1000 year old powerhouse.

Phil Ulrich-

This is a character that really can be redeemed without cop outs. And his family made his fall tragic, his redemption over a 24 issue series would be triumphant.

NimaMindTricks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

derekvang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Marvel:

1) Aunt May

2) Mary Jane

DC:

1) Lois Lane

2) Alfred Pennyworth

judasnixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#28  Edited By judasnixon

Harvey Bullock........ I want a DC comics version of HBO's True Detective.....

No Caption Provided

gokuss4z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Marvel: spider woman the punisher.

Dc: Batman.

Off topic metal gear really deserve a anime.

Avatar image for ironspiderchan45
Ironspiderchan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Marvel

-The Thing (Ben Grim)

-Kraven

-Sandman

DC

-Alfred

-Damian (or does he have one solo series?)

- Commissioner Gordan

These are in order of most wanted to 3rd most wanted

Ostyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Marvel - Songbird, Beta Ray Bill, Sif, and Mockingbird.

DC - Lex Luthor, Mera, Shazam, Martian Manhunter, The Rogues, Cyborg, Doom Patrol, Injustice League, Sinestro Corps, and Vixen.

GraniteSoldier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#32  Edited By GraniteSoldier

Marvel:

Agent Venom - His solo was very well done under the pens of Remender and Bunn. So much wasted and unexplored potential. Sure he's rubbing elbows with the GotG but he's being wasted there.

Green Goblin - Now that Norman no longer has the Goblin Serum in his veins making him crazy I'd love to see him have a miniseries where he is lucid and rebuilding himself from the ground up.

Lizard - Another Spider-related character, I know, but like Norman Connors is in a very interesting place. He has long since been the mind of Curt Connors in the body of the Lizard and in Superior Spider-Man this knowledge became known publicly (to an extent). So why not role with this? A man searching to get his body back and try and salvage a life while in the mean time putting his former villainous body to heroic work. Has plenty of potential.

DC:

Saint Walker - We need to see more of the Blue Lanterns. Period. We have two (three if you count New Guardians) Green Lantern books, Sinestro, Red Lanterns, and formerly Larfleeze...why not the Blues? Walker is a very interesting hero in that he true wants what is best for all, even the villain. Plus I know I'm not alone in wanting to see more of what the Blue Light can do.

Black Canary - Her whole character needs a reboot more akin to her Pre52 self and her own series again. Not much more to say on it than that.

Bane - As one of the brightest and most skilled Bat rogues Bane could easily carry a title akin to Deathstroke and give him a great opportunity to show he's more than a brute who wants to "break the Bat". Especially given his recent showing in Batman Eternal, I think Bane should have his character explored and his intelligence and skills highlighted.

IDW:

Snake Eyes - There's the new Snake Eyes: Agent of Cobra ongoing that just started and I haven't had the opportunity to check out yet so maybe I already have my wish, but I'd love a solo with the deadliest man in the GI Joe verse as its focal. Sure he can't talk, but an internal monologue and narration from the mute Special Ops Ninja would be very interesting to see since we really rarely get to see what's going on in his head.

NimaMindTricks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

GraniteSoldier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@granitesoldier: lizard is a super interesting choice and it would work

Why thank you. Lizard has long been one of my favorite Spidey villains, and with the new wave of villain/anti-hero books and Connors' current state I think he should be included in that wave.

NimaMindTricks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@granitesoldier: yeah in his Superior Spider Man appearance you really get the vibe of how remorseful he feels about the stuff he's done in the past

GraniteSoldier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@granitesoldier: yeah in his Superior Spider Man appearance you really get the vibe of how remorseful he feels about the stuff he's done in the past

And remorse and redemption are powerful motivators that could lead to some awesome stories.

C'mon Marvel, we're practically doing the work for you! For free!!!

dan12456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Zatanna deserves her own series again. Other than that I agree with a lot of the suggestions above.

LaryKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Marvel :Cyclops.(both current after AvX,and one during he was leader of Utopia).It would unravel some events during he lead MutantKind ,after AvX,his regrets and feelings about what happened when he was leading mutantkind

Iron Fist:Besides Immortal Iron fist and the Living Weapon,it should describe famous events from Danny's perspective,like AvX,or things.

BLANK...

DC:(Dunnow,i'm a total marvel fan,i hate dc ,so i just won't say a thing)

Jphu8414

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Cyborg (been wanting this even before the New 52 came out)

Doom Patrol

Shazam

Lex Luthor

Gordon/GCPD book