Which Characters Death Would Be Most SHOCKING?

• 66 results
LyraFay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 12

The only issue with death in comic books, is that they're not taken seriously and they lose their substance of moving the plot or the characters along. But this isn't just comics but other media do it too.

feebadger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

I think, for me, the ones that resonated the most who have been mentioned are Alfred (@black_claw), Dick Grayson (@z3ro180) and Wonder Woman (@_slim_).

When it was supposed that Alfred might be the Joker's victim during Death Of The Family, i think comic's collective arse seizured at the prospect! Wonder Woman's loss would be devastating and, to comicdom at least, just as emotionally resonant as Superman's death, if done correctly. I think Dick Grayson's death would be absolutely devastating. As they established during Final Crisis, Dick Grayson is, in many ways, the truest, noblest hero in all of DC and i think that his death would tear me up.

I did also agree with the Lex Luthor (@razzatazz) suggestion too. I think that if his death were handled carefully and presented him as the amazing character he is, then that would be one truly affecting death.

Rick Grimes (@silverpool) death will be truly affecting, but i don't know if it will be shocking as i think a lot of readers, like myself, might feel that it is inevitable that he will die and that it will be the perfect ending to his story. After all, if the hero doesn't lay down his life in some futile gesture of heroism, then what use are they!?

QueenCorp15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#54  Edited By QueenCorp15

Joker, Dick Grayson, an maybe iron man i dont think hez ever died before an hez very popular

Avatar image for deadpool_is_better_than_you
Deadpool_is_better_than_you

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Brian Griffin

Kairan1979

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 18

Nobody's death is shocking because nobody stays dead.

KnightOfZero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

j jonna jamison

Avatar image for averageinsanity
AverageInsanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Harley Quinn. Especially since she's been so highly pushed up recently you'd think dc was gonna make a movie.

Avatar image for phoenixofthetides
PhoenixoftheTides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DC: Lois Lane or Wonder Woman

Marvel: Hulk or The Invisible Woman

ZombieMowlcher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mr. Immortal.

NlGHTCRAWLER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#61  Edited By NlGHTCRAWLER

@jbat said:

@silverpool said:

Rick from the Walking Dead would also probably be shocking. Maybe kill him off protecting Carl, though that'd be too easy to see coming.

I'm not sure if I would continue TWD without Rick. In the TV series his character isn't as essential but in the books he is The Walking Dead for me. I just couldn't see it working as well as it does now.

I agree. I wouldn't really have much of an interest. He's a much more likeable and strong character in the comics than in the show.

Yup, I know what that's like. The show has me hating all of my favorite characters. Super frustrating.

NlGHTCRAWLER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#62  Edited By NlGHTCRAWLER

@silverpool said:

@jbat said:

@silverpool said:

Rick from the Walking Dead would also probably be shocking. Maybe kill him off protecting Carl, though that'd be too easy to see coming.

I'm not sure if I would continue TWD without Rick. In the TV series his character isn't as essential but in the books he is The Walking Dead for me. I just couldn't see it working as well as it does now.

I agree. I wouldn't really have much of an interest. He's a much more likeable and strong character in the comics than in the show.

I actually feel that it's the reciprocal. Even though I prefer comic Grimes, I think the series could continue without him, but not in the show's continuity.

Really? It seems to me that the show focuses more on everyone's perspectives whereas the comics steadily revolve around Rick with occasional viewpoint of those who surround him. I'm not sure if I have read an important storyline in the comics that didn't involve Rick in some way. I can say the same about the TV show, but he sometimes just lingers in the background as opposed to being directly involved.

If Rick died in the comics, i'm not sure it would have a strong enough character to carry the book for long. I could see it happening some time in the end to move the plot along, but only for that reason and like I said, not long lasting.

TrueMoonchilde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nobody. Death is so cliched in comic books that at this point having a major story arc in which nobody dies is more shocking then any character death could be.

CF12793

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ChildoftheAtom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

At this moment in the xmen killing cyclops would be very stupid but very shocking since he very interesting right now

Avatar image for cosmicallyaware1
cosmicallyaware1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 46

I feel it may be more of an impact if its a beloved iconic supporting cast member. The alfred mention was good. As it was shocking with characters like gwen stacy and such in the past. Also in the villian range would have quite the impact. Most major heros have "died" at some point so it lessens it quite a bit (ie: superman, barry allen, hal jordan, steve rogers, bruce wayne, peter parker, colossus, blah blah...)

So considering that I say:

Btw....before I go further....has anybody been readinf uncanny avengers? All I have to say is...rouge.wanda.simon. wow.

Anyway...... my picks for "wow factor" deaths =

- wolverine. Really hasn't been done yet and with his popularity woyld cause major waves.

- tony stark. Same as above.

- kyle rayner. Same as above.

- nightwing. Why not?

jeepeh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@_gaff_ said:

Actually, the death of a character like TOAA would be probably be the most shocking.

This.