• 114 results
#1 Edited by Betatesthighlander1 (7462 posts) - - Show Bio

to be clear here, I'm talking about vicarious power fantasies, not romantic ones

basically, I'm asking:

which comic book character did you most want to be when you were eight?

have any charcters ypu've encountered since done a better job at being who you wanted to be when you were eight?

For me, I'd have to say Thor. I like the idea of being a super-strong god wwho can control the weather, I liked how he was a fierce warrior but still a compassionate guy, and I like that poeple genuinely appreciated what he did on Earth and in Asgard

what about you guys?

#2 Posted by FlashDamn (947 posts) - - Show Bio

I think Batman aside from the tragic past and the trauma if you take that away what do you see?.You see the most determinant boy that ever lived in which he was able to fight/stand/capture gods cause he is willing to so....Yeah Batman

#3 Posted by KnightRise (4785 posts) - - Show Bio

Gohan. On more than one occassion I tried to use ki and go Super Saiyan. There are two types of people who never tried to go Super Saiyan: poor depraved children and liars. Plus, nothing filled SquireRise with more rage than when Gohan became nerdy, underpowered, and wasn't recognized as the true hero against during the Buu Saga. That sh*t wouldn't have stood if I were Gohan!!!

#4 Edited by Betatesthighlander1 (7462 posts) - - Show Bio

@flashdamn: what era of Batman did you grow up with?

@knightrise:

you like Gohan best during the Cell games saga?

#5 Posted by Shikarenji (1688 posts) - - Show Bio

goku lol

#6 Edited by Dark_Vengeance_ (14698 posts) - - Show Bio

Obviously Silver Surfer.

#7 Edited by Squalleon (4612 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman Tas.......or.......Joker Tas

yes i was a weird kid

#8 Posted by BlueLantern1995 (2448 posts) - - Show Bio

I hated superheroes when I was 8 only ones I liked were the following: Batman and Hulk. I guess the one that best fit me in all those areas is Batman.

#9 Posted by Veshark (9058 posts) - - Show Bio

I remember as a kid watching Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends, I wanted to be Iceman. While my friends always argued over who got to be Spidey, something about Iceman's all-ice appearance looked cool to my 7 year-old eyes.

Of course, now that I'm older, I don't give a rat's ass about Bobby anymore, but still.

#10 Posted by Betatesthighlander1 (7462 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman Tas.......or.......Joker Tas

yes i was a weird kid

don't worry everyone has wanted to be TheJoker at some point

I hated superheroes when I was 8 only ones I liked were the following: Batman and Hulk. I guess the one that best fit me in all those areas is Batman.

what did you like about Hulk?

@veshark said:

I remember as a kid watching Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends, I wanted to be Iceman. While my friends always argued over who got to be Spidey, something about Iceman's all-ice appearance looked cool to my 7 year-old eyes.

Of course, now that I'm older, I don't give a rat's ass about Bobby anymore, but still.

heh, growing up's great

#11 Edited by Squalleon (4612 posts) - - Show Bio

@betatesthighlander1: he is great isn't he, no worries, he laughs all the time, he is happy.......in a weird,disturbed and abominable way :-)

#12 Posted by Bruxae (13917 posts) - - Show Bio

Today I dont even like the character very much, or spiderman, but as a kid I always wanted to be this guy.

#13 Posted by Eternal19 (2076 posts) - - Show Bio

honestly when I was a kid i wanted to be Spidey. I kinda still want to be Spidey

#14 Posted by XImpossibruX (5174 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman or Goku. Because they both worked hard to obtain the status they have today. They weren't given greatness, but achieved it through hardwork, training, and perseverance.

Ignoring the fact these two are the most baddest Comic(Batman) and Anime(Goku) heroes.

Two role models from my childhood.

#15 Edited by Betatesthighlander1 (7462 posts) - - Show Bio

honestly when I was a kid i wanted to be Spidey. I kinda still want to be Spidey

we all do

Batman or Goku. Because they both worked hard to obtain the status they have today. They weren't given greatness, but achieved it through hardwork, training, and perseverance.

Ignoring the fact these two are the most baddest Comic(Batman) and Anime(Goku) heroes.

Two role models from my childhood.

I did not expect anything so noble on this thread

#16 Edited by Strider92 (16509 posts) - - Show Bio

This but I kind of alternated between wanting to be James Bond and Indianna Jones too. I was a very indecisive child!

#17 Posted by Betatesthighlander1 (7462 posts) - - Show Bio

@strider92:

how old were you when you started watching James Bond?

#18 Edited by ARMIV2 (8550 posts) - - Show Bio

Uhhhh...

Godzilla mainly.

#19 Posted by Arkhamc1tizen (2145 posts) - - Show Bio

who didnt want to be batman

#20 Posted by Betatesthighlander1 (7462 posts) - - Show Bio
#21 Posted by satyrgod (2115 posts) - - Show Bio

I've been largely abstaining from these conversations lately, but since I was specifically invited in a PM... I was raised rather isolated and my early experiences were primarily mythology-oriented; esp. the christian mythology (I was introduced to comic book heroes a little later). I didn't want to be like Jesus because, well, look what happened to him. Judas was my first choice (go figure, right?) until I was told the ending of his story. But Peter figured out how to survive the drama and lived to a ripe old age, so... Next came the gods of classical mythology; I liked Perseus because he read as young, strong, resourceful, and cute. I bought an Isis one-shot without my parents' knowledge but when my mother found out, she took it away and burned it because she didn't want her son to have female role models. She said she didn't want me to grow up to be gay (yeah, that worked). When I had occasional access to comic books, I emulated any character I thought to embody a combination strength, intelligence and attractiveness, and was flawed. I became particularly drawn to Bruce Wayne because he had a dark secret, he developed himself physically and intellectually, he hung out almost exclusively with other guys (Robin, Superman, Alfred), had a special relationship with a cat-o'-nine wielding vamp, and inspired a good friend's beautiful redheaded daughter whom he wouldn't touch no matter how she flirted with him; plus he was educated and wealthy. I have since expanded my horizons.

#22 Posted by Chronus (1115 posts) - - Show Bio

Superman.

#23 Posted by New_World_Order (13235 posts) - - Show Bio

Thor.

#24 Edited by The_Legendary_SuperSaiyan_Hulk (10090 posts) - - Show Bio

Probably Green Lantern or Goku.

#25 Edited by Mezmero (933 posts) - - Show Bio

SIlver Surfer. I've wanted to go to space but only recently I realized that will probably never happen in my lifetime. Just chilling out, surfing the stars with the power of a space god at my finger tips. What could be more self indulgent?

#26 Edited by Betatesthighlander1 (7462 posts) - - Show Bio
#27 Edited by Xaos (440 posts) - - Show Bio

The Flash. Barry Allen.

He was damn cool. I always liked running and being smart.

#28 Edited by New_World_Order (13235 posts) - - Show Bio
#29 Posted by The_Legendary_SuperSaiyan_Hulk (10090 posts) - - Show Bio

@betatesthighlander1: Green Lantern because you could make things with your imagination O:

Goku...do I really have to explain this one? lol, the stuff he could do was amazing O:

#30 Posted by DeathGhidorah (35 posts) - - Show Bio

Well for the first few years we wanted to be Goku, since he was the main character of our favorite TV show. That changed to Vegeta since we liked his personality better. At no stage did we ever like Gohan, since before and after the Cell Saga, he was a crybaby/lazy nerd.

As we grew older our interests changed, and we found ourselves playing the villain more and more often, since the villains were always more interesting in the cartoons on. We made original villains for ourselves, since the ones on TV kept on getting their assess kicked, but I really liked the Joker (still do).

#31 Edited by Joygirl (20003 posts) - - Show Bio

I was always attracted to very flexible/imaginitive powersets, e.g. Green Lantern or Venom.

#32 Posted by BaneStrokeLoboGrundyBatArrow (1394 posts) - - Show Bio

Green Lanterns ring, Banes venom, and cyborgs uhhhh being a cyborg

#33 Posted by TheAcidSkull (18032 posts) - - Show Bio

Hulk- The idea of cutting loose and smashing things was amazing

Spider-man- No reason needed.

#34 Posted by Aiden Cross (15569 posts) - - Show Bio

I know it's a corny answer but Superman. I wanted to be just like him. I remember having a Superman t-shirt and tying a red towel around my neck :p I imagined i could fly and if I really really tried hard enough i could use my heat vision (probably a good thing that never worked)

#35 Posted by Dabee (2393 posts) - - Show Bio

Sonic the Hedgehog

#36 Posted by Duncan (11445 posts) - - Show Bio
#37 Posted by Lvenger (20039 posts) - - Show Bio

Superman, the Disney version of Hercules and Terry Mcguinness were my childhood idols.

#38 Edited by Aiden Cross (15569 posts) - - Show Bio
#39 Posted by Fuchsia_Nightingale (10180 posts) - - Show Bio

#40 Posted by ThatGuyWithHeadPhones (11135 posts) - - Show Bio

THE GREEN LANTERN...John to be specific.

#41 Posted by Black_Arrow (3162 posts) - - Show Bio

batman or spiderman

#42 Posted by joshmightbe (24885 posts) - - Show Bio

Hulk- I was a very angry child.

#43 Edited by Betatesthighlander1 (7462 posts) - - Show Bio
#44 Edited by Fuchsia_Nightingale (10180 posts) - - Show Bio
#45 Posted by Betatesthighlander1 (7462 posts) - - Show Bio

@fuchsia_nightingale:

any specific pink ranger you liked more than all of teh others?

also, why was being a pink ranger so appealing to you?

#46 Posted by Vortex13 (12250 posts) - - Show Bio

Blade. The movie came out when I was eight and I snuck into the theater. I just thought he was so badass.

#47 Posted by comicace3 (5356 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman- how cool would it be to make everyone scared of you and becoming one of the best martial artist? Fighting crime every night and every day you're a CEO of a multi- billion dollar company

Flash or Zoom- Speed force.. seeing everything in slow motion

Spiderman- Everything about spiderman would be awesome

#48 Posted by THEOCITYLEGEND (1208 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman. I was always attracted to under-dog stories because they are so exiting. Batman through determination and will has made himself one of the smartest people in DC universe, I would say right up there with Lex Luthor. On top of this he has trained his body to peak potential and is an expert in all fields. Despite him always going up against ridicules metas and people far stronger than him, he still finds a way to succeed. I always found this attribute of overcoming impossible odds to be attractive. That is why I could never like Superman the way I like Batman, Superman is almost never the under-dog and he was born with his powers while Batman had to earn his. As a cherry on top Batman is rich and gets all the women, who wouldn't want that?

#49 Posted by Fuchsia_Nightingale (10180 posts) - - Show Bio

@betatesthighlander1: Not really.

Because She wears pink ! Because in general the Pink ranger is quiet, cute yet confident and ready to help save the day.

#50 Edited by bob808 (6775 posts) - - Show Bio
John Constantine