Where to start with Marvel?

Gamer1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Hi guys!

So I'm new to comics, which I can't believe I didn't try before since the thing I enjoy the most on a videogame is a good story. I'm interested in Marvel but I really have no idea on where to start. The New 52 have made it easy for me to get into DC, but I checkout Marvel's web and it just confused me. For what I understand they have something similar called Marvel Now, but they are also releasing comics that doesn't have this logo. So is it just an event? Is this where I should start or can someone help me with that? And about the characters you could say I'm interested in all of them, Spiderman, Hulk, Ironman, Deadpool, The Xmen, etc. since I only know them from other medias like movies or videogames and would like to know more about them.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fbfd5d291164
deactivated-5fbfd5d291164

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 74

User Lists: 7

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for v_scarlotte_rose
V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

Marvel Now is kind of like the New 52, except they didn't change any continuity. It's just a renumbering of all the comics, to make it easy to jump on. If you're looking for recent comics, you could maybe start with any of the Marvel Now #1s for any characters you're interested in.

rev_sulphur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@gamer1992: There is Marvel Now and All New Marvel Now which are kinda like restarting volumes not their continuity, as far as I know. The best thing to do is figure out who you would like to read about get some TPB from whatever volume and research what you missed online. That's what I did with Green Lantern I started with Green Lantern: Rebirth and just spent a lot of free time on various wiki sites and here. You will never learn everything and always find out new stuff which I find awesome.

Gamer1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rev_sulphur: Oh ok I think I get it now. I did the same thing trying to figure out where to start and I already know how the Amazing Spiderman ended, so I think Superior Spiderman would be a good start for me.

rev_sulphur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@gamer1992: Superior Spider-Man is an awesome read and pretty self contained.

Gamer1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@v_scarlotte_rose: So that's why only some the comics have the Marvel Now logo, then I'm going to start with Superior Spiderman and then maybe pick up a few #1 issues to see what I find the most interesting.

feebadger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@gamer1992: Marvel Now can be just as confusing as the rest of the Comic world, in my opinion. There is still a whole lot of continuity to deal with through most of the titles. It depends what types of comic stories you like, really. Is there any particular genre of story telling you most like?

Avatar image for beaconofstrength
BeaconofStrength

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@gamer1992: If you're interested in Marvel comics, I could help you out, and give you some recommendations. What New 52 titles have you liked before? What type of stories do you like? What characters are you interested in, or want to learn about? Do you want to read new stories, or older ones? Answer those questions, and I could definitely help you out, and recommend some comics you might like.

ripcurl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

If you're just getting into Marvel and like the Avengers, I'd recommend the Avengers, Avengers World or New Avengers (stay away from Secret Avengers, it sucks).

There's a new Savage Hulk series that looks like it will be pretty decent.

Amazing Spider-man has just started a new volume, so it's probably a good jumping-on point for new readers.

If you're interested in crossover events from the past few years I'd definitely recommend Planet Hulk or Infinity.

Avatar image for Oreoassassin421
OreoAssassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By OreoAssassin
mandman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

dagmar_merrill Marvels is a celebration of every second of the Jack Kirby Stan lee era. It provides a could summary of the last 75 + years of Marvel. I would say as a caveat if you are new, Ultimates will be more reader friendly. Ultimate spider-man, X-men, Ultimates, and Fantastic four are written like nu52 was supposed to be.

Spideysense44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

All the female books are good right now

Gamer1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@feebadger: Well I would say action and horror, kind of like Death of the Family. Comedy would be ok too.

tensor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Avengers is pretty good.

Gamer1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Gamer1992

@beaconofstrength said:

@gamer1992: If you're interested in Marvel comics, I could help you out, and give you some recommendations. What New 52 titles have you liked before? What type of stories do you like? What characters are you interested in, or want to learn about? Do you want to read new stories, or older ones? Answer those questions, and I could definitely help you out, and recommend some comics you might like.

Well I only got the Joker Death of the Family Paperback and it was awesome, and also got the first 7 issues of Harley Quinn and I'm going to get Superman's and Batman's paperbacks too. I like action, mistery, comedy. I would say the ones I'm interested the most right now are Spiderman, Hulk, Ironman and the Xmen since I heard about this Quentin Quire guy and it sounded pretty badass. I would say the new ones since I only I few a things about the characters past and I could just look for info if I don't understand something.

Thor-Parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

You can start with any #1 issues of Marvel Now. If you like Iron Man, go and check the first issue of him in Marvel Now, if you like Hulk go and check the first issue of him in Marvel Now, you can do that with almost every character you want to read.

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Start off with singular characters. Solo series. Then if you want to move to team books and big events you can. For comedy read Deadpool

Mrnoital

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gamer1992: a decent jump on point for deadpool would be the gauntlet, it took place right before his wedding special and is a decent story that took place not too long ago, if you have time might as well try from issue one

Gamer1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oreoassassin: I like Spiderman, Hulk, Ironman, The Xmen, Deadpool.