#1 Posted by TheTrueBarryAllen (5198 posts) - - Show Bio

Hey there everyone!

I've been looking to branch out in terms of the characters I read, there are a bunch that I see thrown around on these forums that interest me and I really want to learn more about them but I don't really know where I should start or what stories are suggested for them.

I'll list the characters/teams below and maybe some people could suggest good starting points?

• Black Adam
  • The Justice Society of America [ People like Doctor Fate, Jay Garrick, Alan Scott ]
  • Shazam
  • The X Men [ There are so many titles I literally don't know where to begin! ]
  • Spider Man
  • Superman
  • Green Lantern/Green Lantern Corps
  • Doctor Strange
  • Doctor Doom

I hope I'm not asking too much, it's just that all of the above characters/teams seem to be pretty cool and I just don't know what I should buy to learn more about them.

Any & all suggestions are welcome :)

#2 Edited by Wolverine08 (42201 posts) - - Show Bio

For Doctor Doom read Ed Brubaker's Books of Doom.

For the X-Men, begin with Joss Whendon's Astonishing X-Men run.

#3 Posted by attatje (1421 posts) - - Show Bio

@thetruebarryallen: For Black Adam/JSA/Shazam I advice you to first read the 1999-2006 JSA series then for Black Adam and Shazam 52 after that Black Adam: The Dark Age and then for Black Adam/Shazam the Justice league parts (the Shazam TPB) to continue with JSA you can read the JSA classified series.

#4 Posted by Manwhohaseverything (1905 posts) - - Show Bio

For Superman, I'd suggest reading his graphic novels/elseworlds stories like Red Son or All-Star Superman. If you want to read an ongoing monthly, I'd say "Superman Unchained"..and stay away from the regular Superman title.

#5 Posted by TheTrueBarryAllen (5198 posts) - - Show Bio

For Doctor Doom read Ed Brubaker's Books of Doom.

For the X-Men, begin with Joss Whendon's Astonishing X-Men run.

Thanks for the suggestions! One of my good friends also suggested Joss's Astonishing X-Men run so I'll have to check that out now.

@attatje said:

@thetruebarryallen: For Black Adam/JSA/Shazam I advice you to first read the 1999-2006 JSA series then for Black Adam and Shazam 52 after that Black Adam: The Dark Age and then for Black Adam/Shazam the Justice league parts (the Shazam TPB) to continue with JSA you can read the JSA classified series.

Sweet, thanks for the suggestions! Looks like I've got quite a bit to catchup on!

For Superman, I'd suggest reading his graphic novels/elseworlds stories like Red Son or All-Star Superman. If you want to read an ongoing monthly, I'd say "Superman Unchained"..and stay away from the regular Superman title.

Alright, sounds pretty do-able. I've been told that the regular Superman title isn't that great haha so I'll do my best to steer clear.

#6 Posted by concust (43 posts) - - Show Bio

For greenlantern i started off with aome comics pre new 52. Sinestro corps war is amazing. From there id go rage of the red lanterns and agent orange just to see the creation of the red corps and more info on the orange then blackest night and war of the green lanterns then start the new 52 green lantern series. That's wat I did and I'm loving it. For superman go with all star superman like the viner above said and superman birthright is pretty good too.

#7 Posted by Dratini1331 (7028 posts) - - Show Bio

@thetruebarryallen: the n52 Earth 2 run has been pretty entertaining if you're looking for some stuff on the most recent incarnations of Fate, Gerrick, and Scott.

For Superman, the Action Comics run has been pretty decent, but I've been mostly unimpressed with his titular run. I haven't gotten my hands on superman unchained yet.

I personally like the new guardians run and the n52 gl main title run. Unfortunately, I'm lacking between the years of 1955 and 2010 in terms of GL books :P

#8 Posted by Battle_Forum_Junkie (7983 posts) - - Show Bio

@thetruebarryallen: A good starting point for Superman would be Superman: For All Seasons. From there you could read The Death of Superman, Superman: For Tomorrow then All-Star Superman - One of the best, if not the best Superman story ever published.

#9 Posted by Billy Batson (58024 posts) - - Show Bio

For Captain Marvel: The Whiz Comics, The Power of Shazam, Monster Society of Evil, and Billy Batson and the Magic of Shazam

Spider-Man: The Ditko run?

Dr. Strange: The Ditko run and Englehart runs; Doctor Strange & Doctor Doom: Triumph & Torment (also for Doom); The Oath; X-Statix Presents: Dead Girl

BB

#10 Posted by sagejonathan (1954 posts) - - Show Bio

For Green Lantern it depends on how far back you are willing to go. The two starting points are either Green Lantern: Rebirth from 2005 or Green Lantern: Sinestro, the first story arc of Green Lantern in the New 52. I personally recommend starting from Rebirth if you can. You can google "Geoff Johns green lantern reading order" and you will get a nice list from people on the order of the trade paperbacks. These lists often have Green Lantern Corp reading order alongside them.