#1 Posted by Promethea (4 posts) - - Show Bio

I apologize if this is a tacky question or the wrong forum. I'm new here and in poking around haven't seen this addressed. I

'm not much in the comic loop anymore. I recently went though my Comic Book Closet and decided I'm ready to sell/donate about 1/2 of them. So I'm trying to figure out t price them and how/where to sell them.

So my questions really are the following:

1. Do you buy from eBay? Would you buy from a seller without much recent history?

2. How do you grade books?

3. How do you figure out a reasonable value?

Thank you for any responses.

#2 Posted by jloneblackheart (5528 posts) - - Show Bio

Besides my LCS, I like My Comic Shop. They have good prices and combine shipping. Don't know about grading and value. I'm more into the story and art.

#3 Posted by TheOptimist (713 posts) - - Show Bio

1. Do you buy from eBay? Would you buy from a seller without much recent history?

Not for used comic books, and no.

2. How do you grade books?

Cautiously and generically. You don't want to mislead in your descriptions and leave yourself vulnerable to accusations.

3. How do you figure out a reasonable value?

I actually use the site jloneblackheart referenced, mycomicshop.com to gauge the general price range for an item.

I find most of my used books in boxes at conventions, though.

#4 Edited by Funrush (1369 posts) - - Show Bio

@jloneblackheart said:

Besides my LCS, I like My Comic Shop. They have good prices and combine shipping. Don't know about grading and value. I'm more into the story and art.

I'm thinking of buying from My Comic Shop, and I was wondering how much their shipping cost. They don't say the cost on the website.

1. Only in very rare cases, and no.

2. More specific?

3. I see what people on ebay, and Midtown are charging, and I lower the price a tad.

#5 Posted by jloneblackheart (5528 posts) - - Show Bio

@Funrush: I usually go through their ebay store. I've always paid $3.95 shipping for the US.

#6 Posted by AssertingValor (5396 posts) - - Show Bio

@jloneblackheart: Dang that's alot for some shipping of comics...

#7 Posted by jloneblackheart (5528 posts) - - Show Bio

@LordMaverick said:

@jloneblackheart: Dang that's alot for some shipping of comics...

They do combine orders though, so you can get a lot for one shipping cost. They are well packaged too. I've had nothing but good experiences with them.

#8 Posted by umbrafeline (5300 posts) - - Show Bio

@jloneblackheart said:

whast s/he said plus cons are a good way to get some issues you need/want

#9 Posted by Promethea (4 posts) - - Show Bio

So how do you sell at a con? Contact the con and ask about buying table space? Seems like a lot of effort for 4-5 boxes of comics, most of which are fairly standard. Grimm Fairy Tales, Electra, Daredevil, Battlestar Galactica, some Batman, Ultimate X-Men and Ultimate Spiderman (no #1 sadly, I donated that to the Armed Forces before the movies came out.) I can't remember the others. I'm hanging onto the stuff I liked, which is a lot of indie comics.