Where do I get started in comics?

enixsquared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By enixsquared

I really want to get started reading comics, but the whole thing is really overwhelming to get into. I have always been a fan of anime and manga, and I now want to try out some more western things, but I just don't know where to start. I really enjoy heroes like Batman and Superman, but looking everywhere, I can't seem to find where I would start in the comics due to them having so many different series. Sorry if I sound like a total noob, I just feel a little overwhelmed with all these quality looking comics.

Alchemax_7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Alchemax_7

If you like Horror try the Walking Dead, a great series. Look at Dc's new 52 Batman, also Action comics for Superman.

enixsquared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By enixsquared

@Alchemax_7: I've actually started up the Walking Dead, I agree, it is indeed great. What would you say you prefer, New 52 Batman or Action Comics Superman?

Alchemax_7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Alchemax_7

I'm glad you're reading the Walking Dead, Tough choice but I have to go with Batman, Scott Snyder nails it. Plus Batman is one of my favourite characters of all time. Welcome to Comicvine as well.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator
@enixsquared: What characters are you interested in? Personally I think The New 52 has something for everyone.
enixsquared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By enixsquared

@Alchemax_7: Thank you for the welcome :). I'll start reading Batman New 52, and I'll keep an eye out for the 2013 Superman comic that Snyder and Jim Lee are working on.

enixsquared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By enixsquared

@The Stegman: I really like Batman and Superman, and I also like Deadpool, though I realize he's not a DC character.

reignmaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By reignmaker

DC's New 52, Marvel Now, and anything part of the recent Valiant Comics reboot. Right now is the perfect time to be a returning comic reader.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator
@enixsquared said:

@The Stegman: I really like Batman and Superman, and I also like Deadpool, though I realize he's not a DC character.

Well I'd defiantly get into Snyder's Batman, and there are a quite a bit of good old Batman stories you can read in your down time too, such as Knightfall, Batman Year One, Long Halloween etc. Also, Deadpool just relaunched for Marvel NOW, which is a good jumping on point. As for Superman, Red Son, and Birthright are must reads. 

Personally, if you like horror, or just a good story, I'd give Snyder's American Vampire a run too, it's pretty great. 
Alchemax_7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Alchemax_7

@The Stegman: Well I'd defiantly get into Snyder's Batman, and there are a quite a bit of good old Batman stories you can read in your down time too, such as Knightfall, Batman Year One, Long Halloween etc. Also, Deadpool just relaunched for Marvel NOW, which is a good jumping on point. As for Superman, Red Son, and Birthright are must reads.

Personally, if you like horror, or just a good story, I'd give Snyder's American Vampire a run too, it's pretty great.

This

enixsquared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By enixsquared

@Alchemax_7: I'm looking to collect also, should I buy the issues or volumes of the current Batman 52 comics? Do the volumes age well in terms of value?

Alchemax_7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Alchemax_7

The trades of the new 52 Batman up to the current issues, you should probably get, because I don't know about you but I live Australia and comic shops are scarce if your don't live in the larger cities and the comic book store I attend if you're lucky you could find some of the issues you've missed but trades are probably the best option to get the first seven issues or so. In terms of value I'm not quite sure.

enixsquared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By enixsquared

@Alchemax_7: I'll probably stop by my local store, I have some credit there from buying MTG cards.

Avatar image for v_scarlotte_rose
V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By V_Scarlotte_Rose

Hello. I'm quite new myself, only been buying comics for about a year, but maybe I can help.

As has been said, Marvel are currently starting a load of new series', so now's the perfect time to start. If you're a fan of a character through cartoons, films, games etc, that'll give you an idea of who to look out for. I see you like Batman and Superman, they've been in loads of issues, so they'll be easy to come by. Once you start buying comics, if you discover more characters that you like the look of, see what they've been in and try and get a hold of some of their appearances. And if you enjoy the artwork or writing, find out what the authors and artists have worked on and see if it looks like it'd interest you.

Just repeating how I got going. It's easy enough to find some things that you like, and you can always browse the information on here, and ask questions in the forums. I've only been member here a few days, but I can see that it's a great place to look for comic book knowledge.

Hope this helps in some way, and I hope you enjoy your adventures in comic book collecting. :)

Alchemax_7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Alchemax_7

@V_Scarlotte_Rose: Hello. I'm quite new myself, only been buying comics for about a year, but maybe I can help.

As has been said, Marvel are currently starting a load of new series', so now's the perfect time to start. If you're a fan of a character through cartoons, films, games etc, that'll give you an idea of who to look out for. I see you like Batman and Superman, they've been in loads of issues, so they'll be easy to come by. Once you start buying comics, if you discover more characters that you like the look of, see what they've been in and try and get a hold of some of their appearances. And if you enjoy the artwork or writing, find out what the authors and artists have worked on and see if it looks like it'd interest you.

Just repeating how I got going. It's easy enough to find some things that you like, and you can always browse the information on here, and ask questions in the forums. I've only been member here a few days, but I can see that it's a great place to look for comic book knowledge.

Hope this helps in some way, and I hope you enjoy your adventures in comic book collecting. :)

Good Information and advice, and welcome yourself to Comicvine.

ZEELLO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#16  Edited By ZEELLO

I started with X-Statix series (starting with X-Force 116) and would easily recommend it to those getting into comics now that you mention it. Mind you the series is no longer running, so we're talking back issues. The series a tad different from most superhero comics however.

If you like Batman and Superman, you're in luck because of the New 52. (i.e. every DC property was rebooted in 2011) nvm you already know :p

Avatar image for v_scarlotte_rose
V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#17  Edited By V_Scarlotte_Rose

@Alchemax_7 said:

Good Information and advice, and welcome yourself to Comicvine.

Thanks, and thanks. :)

@ZEELLO said:

I started with X-Statix series (starting with X-Force 116) and would easily recommend it to those getting into comics now that you mention it. Mind you the series is no longer running, so we're talking back issues. The series a tad different from most superhero comics however.

X-Statix is rather good from the issues I've read. If you want something that has the same kind of charm, I'd suggest FF, which is currently on it's second issue. They're both drawn by the artist Michael Allred, who is great. :)