#1 Posted by ThorjornJG (1 posts) - - Show Bio

Okay i know this is about old and overused topic here on Comic Vine but a fun argument and i think it will go on forever. When you argue that the most powerful Heroes in both dc comic and marvel are fighting we always forget one thing the world around them. I am going to go over statistics here. Lets say that they sentry has the power of only 1 exploding sun(our sun) then would conclude that his hits would generate as same as 10 octillion (1028 zeroes on that numer) megatons of tnt. Most nuclear weapons are measured in megatons and the largest on we ever tested was the tzar which was 100 megatons and the explosive radius was 35 km radius. Think of that power 0.1 octillion times stronger. dont forget that our sun is fairly small compared to must suns in the world.

Just think if Sentry had 1.000.000 exploding suns inside him and superman similar to that then the power they generate if they use all their powers in one punch, kick or just fly into each would vaporize everything in 3.500.000 octillion kilometers in radius. This is because if the power cant go forward then it will go into all other directions. My opinion is that that would never fight due to the destructive nature they would make, i think even void would not play around with such power. If Uncle Ben would give superman and sentry an advice it would be "Man oh man that responsibilty and power thing i talk about... well i feel sorry for your backs having such a burden". I think the only loser in this fight is the world.

#2 Posted by Timandm (3374 posts) - - Show Bio

You're saying that if the Sentry truly let loose with all his power, it would destroy the earth, yes?

#3 Edited by ArticulateT (189 posts) - - Show Bio

I think a key thing to remember here is that power is really down to a variety of factors, rather than just numbers, though, I think a reason we go into numbers so often is that they're easier to understand right off the bat, and there's nothing more definitive than a solid value.

First if the nature of the power. This is usually down to perspective, but certain abilities when used against each other are inherently more useful than others. However, that is the beauty of a super-power, in that each seperate one can serve specific purposes that the others cannot.

Then there's a sliding scale. A friend of mine explained it as having one end being simple, sheer quantities of said force, and at the other end is pin-point precision.

Let's take a look at Superman, for example, and see the difference between his Super Strength and Heat Vision. His Strength is typically the sheer force of his lay-out, and it is rare that he uses it in such specific and precise areas. His application of his great strength is usually the moving of large objects and the great force behind his attacks. his Heat vision is typically used as a welding or cutting tool, as well as a single-target ranged attack. His precision in this area is so great that he is able to lobotomise a person by scaling down the beam and firing it through the lenses of someone's eyes.

That's not to say that Superman hasn't used his great strength on a small, dexterous task or fired his heat vision in a large, all destroying cone, but each power has been used in such specific ways that doing otherwise is often a rare thing.

Another good example would probably be Squirrel Girl. She controls, putting it lightly, glorified rodents with bushy tails, yet, she was so good at commanding the little pests, she beat Dr. Doom. Thanos, too.

When it comes down to it, I guess the phrase "it's not what it is, it's what you do with it," applies here more than ever.

#4 Posted by DocFatalis (1419 posts) - - Show Bio

@ThorjornJG: I think this thread is a very good idea. As for your example, I believe the "million exploding suns" metaphor was really not a good idea from Marvel if you consider what only one super nova can do.

That is one of comics paradoxes: they want to rely on science to give us an idea of how powerful a character is and the ignore real science for entertainment purposes. Even though it sometimes annoys me, I must say that comics would be far less interesting if they would really stick to scientific rules.

Good idea anyway, thanks!