#1 Posted by RaFonaRaFona (76 posts) - - Show Bio

How and when do you decide to drop a title? I need to cut back on the number of comics I buy a month, but it is so hard for me to cut any. I am always afraid there will be a cross over or I'll pick the book back up down the line, want to start reading it again, and then have to go back and get all the ones I've missed.

Usually when I get my new comics I'll put them in the order that I want to read them...I always save the best for last. I've been kicking around the idea of dropping the title that is consistently the first or second issues I read when I get home from the shop?

What do you do?

#2 Edited by Black_Arrow (2475 posts) - - Show Bio
#3 Posted by CheeseSticks (2380 posts) - - Show Bio
#4 Posted by Extremis (3334 posts) - - Show Bio

@rafonarafona: well it can be as simple as dropping it the moment you aren't enjoying it anymore. But sometimes it's worth it to stick it out thru a couple rough issues if you really enjoy the character(s).

If you don't have a particular fondness for the character(s) to begin with then it's probably not best to stick it out. For example: if Matt Fraction wasn't writing Hawkeye anymore I'd probably bounce ASAP as I really don't love the character, just more what he's got going on in the series. But if Scott Snyder were to leave Batman (oh please no!) I'd stick around regardless as I've liked the character for a long time. Though I have to say I would be more heartbroken if Snyder left. Lets keep him around for years to come.

#5 Posted by SupremeHyperion (1523 posts) - - Show Bio

ya pretty easy answer... what arrow said...

if it's not interesting anymore

#6 Posted by RaFonaRaFona (76 posts) - - Show Bio

@extremis said:

@rafonarafona: well it can be as simple as dropping it the moment you aren't enjoying it anymore. But sometimes it's worth it to stick it out thru a couple rough issues if you really enjoy the character(s).

If you don't have a particular fondness for the character(s) to begin with then it's probably not best to stick it out. For example: if Matt Fraction wasn't writing Hawkeye anymore I'd probably bounce ASAP as I really don't love the character, just more what he's got going on in the series. But if Scott Snyder were to leave Batman (oh please no!) I'd stick around regardless as I've liked the character for a long time. Though I have to say I would be more heartbroken if Snyder left. Lets keep him around for years to come.

That's pretty much my thoughts...just wasn't sure what everyone else thought.

I hope Snyder and Capullo have a run on Batman like Johns did on Green Lantern.

#7 Posted by Extremis (3334 posts) - - Show Bio

@rafonarafona: yes omg please! That's what I hope. I'm also hoping the new GL creative team can still be great and long lasting as well. It's definitely tough following Johns'. I don't want the GL title to lose all the greatness and attention it's got since Johns took over. Venditti and the others seem like worthy successors though. Sorry, I got off track there didn't I?

#8 Posted by KnightRise (4785 posts) - - Show Bio

@rafonarafona: when you dont enjoy what you are reading

Green Lantern: New Guardians at issue 7

Superman at issue 7 (picked back up at 13)

Detecive Comics at issue 8

#9 Posted by Irishlad (572 posts) - - Show Bio

Drop it if I don't enjoy it but I do forgive blips in a series if it's been written well before.

#10 Posted by Rabbitearsblog (5772 posts) - - Show Bio

Pretty much what everyone else said, drop the title if you don't enjoy it anymore.

#11 Posted by AllStarSuperman (19938 posts) - - Show Bio

@black_arrow said:

DUDE superman 7-8 was awesome with helspont!

#12 Posted by The Stegman (23031 posts) - - Show Bio

It takes a lot. I'm usually very dedicated to a title, however if it becomes the last thing I read every time and becomes more of a chore than fun, it will get the axe.

#13 Edited by Queso6p4 (1430 posts) - - Show Bio

@black_arrow said:

As it's been said a number of times, pretty much this. As a loyal reader you may want to stick around for a bit but if a series isn't up to snuff it should be dropped. Personally, it's hard for me to do this and I should start doing it more. *Cough* Batwoman, Batwing, Phantom Stranger *Cough*

#14 Posted by RaFonaRaFona (76 posts) - - Show Bio

It's hard for me, after 20 issues, to ditch a book. If I drop one, I need to get in my head that I can NEVER look at it again.

#15 Posted by Queso6p4 (1430 posts) - - Show Bio

@rafonarafona: I feel you on that but you can always check back in every now and again when a new arc/writer/artist jumps on. :/ Take courage; there's always hope. :-) A few weeks ago I finally decided to drop Batgirl after sticking with it for 20 issues. It's been mediocre at best but has completely gone in a direction that I don't like/can no longer stand. Same thing goes for Batwing and I dropped Deadpool and the newest X-Men: Legacy a few months back.

#16 Posted by danhimself (22276 posts) - - Show Bio

if a book is constantly laying on my "to read" pile and I keep not reading it then I'll notice it and when I do that's when it gets dropped....I've heard great things about Waid's Indestructible Hulk book but the 4th issue is still sitting on my pile and I just can't bring myself to care enough to read it so it got dropped

#17 Edited by KnightRise (4785 posts) - - Show Bio

@knightrise said:

@black_arrow said:

DUDE superman 7-8 was awesome with helspont!

I must've stopped at 9 because I read those issues with Helspont

#18 Posted by RaFonaRaFona (76 posts) - - Show Bio

I currently, unbeknownst to my wife, collect close to 60 titles, so something is going to have to give sooner or later.

For me, it's really hard to give up any of the Green Lantern or Batman family titles, because they are always so intertwined. I have the members of Justice League covered, except for Wonder Woman, and I want to enjoy Flash (I love the art) but I'm not blown away by the story. Aquaman, likewise, seems to be beginning to wane. I picked up Justice League of America, Vibe, and Katana. Of the three, I'm most digging Vibe. I've never been the biggest Finch fan and Katana just isn't doing it for me. I could go on, but you see where I'm coming from (I hope). And, even worse, and, against my better judgement, I picked up some of the Marvel Now titles and now I've been sucked back into that universe.

I'd quit cold comics cold-turkey back around issue 30ish of Image comics big reign (Stormwatch, Gen13, Cyberforce, etc.) because it just got to be too much. I'm really trying to avoid that happening again, because I really missed out on some amazing stuff, but even thinking about deciding how to trim the fat gives me a headache.

#19 Edited by Rabidwolfdog (259 posts) - - Show Bio

The moment when you realize you and the writer don't connect.

#20 Posted by RScottH08 (249 posts) - - Show Bio

I was the same way, had a lot on my pull list and needed to cut back for budget reasons. I realized there were some books I was getting simply cause I liked the characters in them, despite the story and handling of these characters being awful. So once I realized that, I knew which ones to drop. It really does all depend on personal taste though, so to each his own.